Rivers of s**t

Warriorsaint

4 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Amazes me when you all get het up about such a minute issue but issues such as our countries rivers and seas being poisoned by Tories is a meh moment. Priorities all wrong.

How do you know that all the water companies are run by Tories ? Does Labour voter waste go somewhere else ?

This is a far more complicated issue than simply blaming the current Government or Brexit. Most of the underlying problems are to do with inadequate and outdated infrastructure, and will require vast amounts of time and money to solve.

Edited by badgerx16

I don’t think this is as clear cut an issue (no pun intended) as Brexit as this problem has been brewing (pun slightly intended) for some years before the referendum. In the SW, water rates are a lot higher than the rest of the country and has been for years.

Over the last 40 years we’ve used free market economics where they shouldn’t be as well as where they should to mask the fact that infrastructure has to be maintained and invested in. It’s kept water bills at more manageable levels but as with railways, infrastructure will creak and break down and now we see the results of shoving the problem away politically and leaving core issues for share capital to resolve (never a good idea with key national infrastructure). A very large bill will be the result when this should have happened over the last 30 years if we weren’t obsessed with competition which doesn’t exist with utilities (I can’t change South West Water but I’d love to). 

The railways have been jacking fares up above inflation for years to catch up but even then certain franchises, namely Southern and LNER have worked far better nationalised. 

Energy is another example - create competition for a short time with cheap deals and then smaller providers go pop so the big boys end up back in charge with higher tariffs across the board and little/no choice. 

In summary - whether you privatise services or not, we as taxpayers have to fund maintenance in the end, whether it’s water, trains or energy, if we want a civilised first world country. Some parts of the economy are definitely better private run, but what’s behind it needs state investment and management. 

Edited by saint1977

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

How do you know that all the water companies are run by Tories ? Does Labour voter waste go somewhere else ?

This is a far more complicated issue than simply blaming the current Government or Brexit. Most of the underlying problems are to do with inadequate and outdated infrastructure, and will require vast amounts of time and money to solve.

Since privatization, the water companies have paid out £57bn to shareholders, nearly half of the amount that they have spent on infrastructure. They've also amassed £48bn of debt which is costing them £1.3bn in interest each year. 

Scottish Water, which is publicly owned invested 35% more per head in infrastructure than the private companies whilst charging customers 14% less. It doesn't pay dividends 

A report from Greenwich University concludes that the private companies capital expenditure is covered by revenue from user charges. The borrowing is to cover dividend payments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Since privatization, the water companies have paid out £57bn to shareholders, nearly half of the amount that they have spent on infrastructure. They've also amassed £48bn of debt which is costing them £1.3bn in interest each year. 

Scottish Water, which is publicly owned invested 35% more per head in infrastructure than the private companies whilst charging customers 14% less. It doesn't pay dividends 

A report from Greenwich University concludes that the private companies capital expenditure is covered by revenue from user charges. The borrowing is to cover dividend payments.

So, in summary, the outdated and inadequate infrastructure requires investment and the private companies are not spending enough on it.

20 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Perhaps Labour should have done something about it during their years in power. 

Looks like the Lords don't want rivers of shit either....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59052995

The government says it will force water companies to make a "progressive reduction" in the sewage it dumps in rivers, amid pressure from the Lords.

Peers proposed a change to the Environment Bill last week in an attempt to cut the pollution, but it did not win enough support from MPs.

It led to a backlash and the Lords are expected to push their plan again.

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Yeah, just happened all of a sudden eh. Its because the water treatment chemicals are not available due to “supply issues” 

Eu rules no longer apply so our own legislation now applies and guess what it was all Tories who voted to continue to allow untreated shit into our waterways but you go ahead and defend the Tory talking points about outdated infrastructure. Just happens they’ve been in power for 11 years but cant blame them or Brexit. God forbid we mention the Brexit word

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yeah its Labours fault. No water treatment chemicals and Tories voting to continue allowing shit into our rivers. Its Labours fault lol.

If Johnson fucked your mum it would be Labours fault lol 😂 

Edited by Warriorsaint
  • Haha 1

When they flogged the water of in the 90s they told us it was so us tax players would not be on the hook for the expensive repairs that they would have to do because of the age of the infrastructure, but instead it would be the water consumers (also us by the way) who would pay instead. Now it turns out that we haven't payed to have it fixed after all in the increased bills following privatization and that we will have to pay again! 

12 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

What about Fascist right wingers? 
btw what is a rabid left winger . Is it a left winger with rabies?

The type of people that go to labour conference and call everyone comrade. Or the woman on my Facebook who does nothing but post Guardian articles and shout insults at the Tory scum. 

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

On the face of it that seems like something that needs addressing. Not sure what that has to do with the immediate issue of what to do with raw sewage. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Indeed, but now that the Tories could do something, they're happy to see crap pouring into our rivers and sea. Perhaps it's Pritti Patel's wheeze to discourage the Channel crossers.

52 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

On the face of it that seems like something that needs addressing. Not sure what that has to do with the immediate issue of what to do with raw sewage. 

If it needs addressing then the Government should address it, not wash their hands of it by throwing out the Lords amendment.

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Yeah, just happened all of a sudden eh. Its because the water treatment chemicals are not available due to “supply issues” 

Eu rules no longer apply so our own legislation now applies and guess what it was all Tories who voted to continue to allow untreated shit into our waterways but you go ahead and defend the Tory talking points about outdated infrastructure. Just happens they’ve been in power for 11 years but cant blame them or Brexit. God forbid we mention the Brexit word

You are even more deluded than I previously imagined if you think that I might, for a single second, defend the Tories. This is a failure to invest/upgrade that goes back decades.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

The type of people that go to labour conference and call everyone comrade. Or the woman on my Facebook who does nothing but post Guardian articles and shout insults at the Tory scum. 

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

I think I like her

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought you would. 

I think he is her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Bless, still stuck with blaming Brexit for 'supply issues'.  Still blindly unwilling to accept that lorry driver shortages (I'm assuming that's what you mean by supply issues) isn't a Brexit issue.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1511993/HGV-driver-spain-nightmare-Europe-crisis-shortage

“Nobody wants to be a lorry driver,” says Lazaro Bermejo, a seasoned driver with 24 years on the road. With shortages of drivers being reported across Europe and the UK, the figures suggest that the situation is at its worse.

I heard a lot of Tory MPs are livid that they are being blamed as weren’t sure what they were voting for.

Whatever the past it is inexcusable and something needs to be done. Hey but we have paper straws and charge for plastic bags meanwhile chucking the shite into the sea. Should absolutely hammer the water companies. 

Not that it overly matters but I started this thread. This has been erased by the mods as Warrior was spamming other threads so has been given to him.

So at the end of year forum awards for best thread title - I want to be the one explaining the background to ‘Rivers of Shit’ when it undoubtedly gets nominated and hopefully wins the gong

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Not that it overly matters but I started this thread. This has been erased by the mods as Warrior was spamming other threads so has been given to him.

So at the end of year forum awards for best thread title - I want to be the one explaining the background to ‘Rivers of Shit’ when it undoubtedly gets nominated and hopefully wins the gong

That's cool, we all know who the rightful owner is ;) 

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Why would I care? Anyway enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Bless, still stuck with blaming Brexit for 'supply issues'.  Still blindly unwilling to accept that lorry driver shortages (I'm assuming that's what you mean by supply issues) isn't a Brexit issue.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1511993/HGV-driver-spain-nightmare-Europe-crisis-shortage

😆🤣😂

The Daily Express being quoted to prove "it ain't anything to do with Brexit guv."  

Next you will be quoting TCWTB to prove that Portsmouth are the best team on the south coast. 

Edited by Tamesaint

16 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The Lords amendment had nothing to do with how much a private company has spent on infrastructure. 

No, but anyone with half a brain would realise that to reduce the amount of undiluted crap that they dump in the rivers, they would need to spend more on infrastructure rather than giving it away as dividends. 

5 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

No, but anyone with half a brain would realise that to reduce the amount of undiluted crap that they dump in the rivers, they would need to spend more on infrastructure rather than giving it away as dividends. 

Yes and like I said on the face of it that seems like something they should have done. Given that they haven't as yet done that and the infrastructure is what it is, what has the Lords amendment got to do with it? 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

😆🤣😂

The Daily Express being quoted to prove "it ain't anything to do with Brexit guv."  

Next you will be quoting TCWTB to prove that Portsmouth are the best team on the south coast. 

To be fair it was more the interview with the Spanish truck driver who incidentally cited pretty much the same reason as all the UK drivers as to why he no longer wanted to driver lorries.

Presumably Brexit is also causing the US to suffer a driver shortage as well?

https://www.ft.com/content/a7283077-69de-4bb2-9d0a-1c68090d719f

A dearth of workers willing to drive trucks has become so severe in the US that some fleet managers are petitioning to let more foreign operators into the country.

*presumably the FT is on your list of acceptable sources ;) 

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair it was more the interview with the Spanish truck driver who incidentally cited pretty much the same reason as all the UK drivers as to why he no longer wanted to driver lorries.

Presumably Brexit is also causing the US to suffer a driver shortage as well?

https://www.ft.com/content/a7283077-69de-4bb2-9d0a-1c68090d719f

*presumably the FT is on your list of acceptable sources ;) 

Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout