The epic tale of Ainsley Maitland-Niles transfer

Turkish

42 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Looks like a good signing. Who was the last player we signed from Arsenal?

Hoping he makes more of an impact than Perry Groves! Always felt that Luis Boa Morte didn’t get a fair crack of the whip, and turned out to be decent at Prem level.

Nathan Tella was signed from Arsenal if I remember correctly 

• Like 2

• Turkish changed the title to The epic tale of Ainsley Maitland-Niles transfer

Not keen on this tbh, strikes me as Arsenal's version of Harry Winks, average player whose reputation is based largely on playing for a big club where he's surplus to requirements, and linked with us every window.  (Will probably be a reasonable signing then, if he doesn't sulk about where he's asked to play).

Credit where it's due though his Mediterranean cookbook was quite good.

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

Not keen on this tbh, strikes me as Arsenal's version of Harry Winks, average player whose reputation is based largely on playing for a big club where he's surplus to requirements, and linked with us every window.  (Will probably be a reasonable signing then, if he doesn't sulk about where he's asked to play).

Credit where it's due though his Mediterranean cookbook was quite good.

Really? I think he's a totally different type of player to Winks. Winks isn't particularly quick, athletic and doesn't cover the ground that well. Quite clumbsy on the ball.

AMN is very athletic, big in suture, quick, can get around the midfield and can provide extra depth at full back as well, runs with the ball well. I think it's a great addition personally and a real upgrade on our midfield options (and squad options as a while)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Really? I think he's a totally different type of player to Winks. Winks isn't particularly quick, athletic and doesn't cover the ground that well. Quite clumbsy on the ball.

AMN is very athletic, big in suture, quick, can get around the midfield and can provide extra depth at full back as well, runs with the ball well. I think it's a great addition personally and a real upgrade on our midfield options (and squad options as a while)

I was comparing as a transfer target and general observation as to standard rather than anything else.

Bow to your greater knowledge of him though, and if he lives up to your billing then great, it will be a shrewd move. 

Edited by Badger

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I was comparing as a transfer target and general observation as to standard rather than anything else.

Bow to your greater knowledge of him though, and if he lives up to your billing then great, it will be a shrewd move. 

Ah fair enough, yeah he's quite clearly a squad player at Arsenal but I don't think that should cloud your opinion of him. He's decent and a much better footballer than winks in my opinion. He needs a run of games for sure, I think he'll get that here as he can play as part of a 3 midfield, 2, or even full back.

• 8 months later...
On 01/09/2022 at 11:49, S-Clarke said:

This aged well.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

We havent really used him in his favoured position (central midfield). With JWP going I wouldn't be against him staying and making the midfield his own. He has got the physicality needed for the Championship as well.

Yes we did. He played at CM plenty in the first half of the season. He was piss weak there, just really poor, and thankfully Lavia returned from injury and lack of fitness as the season went on. AMN would be equally ineffective at centre midfield in the championship, he needs to be jettisoned asap.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

We havent really used him in his favoured position (central midfield). With JWP going I wouldn't be against him staying and making the midfield his own. He has got the physicality needed for the Championship as well.

He's tiny, Diallo-esque in build. We will need some bigger, stronger more athletic players in the champ. 

• Like 1

It’s frigging hilarious that Selles copied Guardiola and played Maitland-Niles in the defender coming into central midfield role that Stones has played at times this season. If anything shows how shit Selles is is that fact he did this 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

He's bone fucking idle and very obviously has no interest in being here other than to pick up his pay cheque. Been an absolute shitshow and the sooner he fucks off back to Arsenal, the better.

signing on a free then 😆

I'm not usually one to be too down on individual players but AMN has been a disastrous signing. Clearly has lots of technical ability but never saw him properly apply it. Can point to at least two goals where his lack of intensity in closing down in the RB position cost us hugely damaging goals - Leeds (a) and Palace (h). 

If you’d said a couple of years ago we might be signing AMN on a free for a championship promotion push, it would have been seen as quite the coup.

He has been very disappointing and I can’t see him being the solution for us going forward. If his attitude/motivation appears below the required levels playing for us in the PL, I dread to think how he’d look playing in the championship. Such an odd player, clearly has talent.

14 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

He's bone fucking idle and very obviously has no interest in being here other than to pick up his pay cheque. Been an absolute shitshow and the sooner he fucks off back to Arsenal, the better.

Isn't that the reason most people do their jobs? 

38 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Are most people bone fucking idle and a shitshow at their jobs? If they were, they'd be shown the door pretty quickly.

Agreed but the notion that he only turns up for the money isn't really an issue. He's just not very good