Away fans in the home end

Dman

Seems like it happened again today, so the question is, what can be done about it? 

In the clubs defence, it’s not an easy one for them to manage or police who is buying the tickets. If away fans want to get there hands on tickets in the home end, they will. 

At the West Ham game four lads turned at entrance F in the Kingsland with West Ham shirts on.  The stewards at the entrance said "I can't let you in wearing those, either remove them or cover them up". They covered them up and were let in.  Clearly in breach of the first paragraph of the rules Turkish quoted.

I don't mind the odd quiet soul turning up with family/friends (I've taken my Bournemouth supporting cousin in with me before and he's reciprocated down there) but it's on the understanding that they hide their allegiance sufficiently throughout the game

1 hour ago, Hatch said:

The rules are very clear,  as Turkish said,    I expect the majority of  stewards don't know the rules.

I expect they do but its deemed an 'elf and safety, a risk management issue. The club could take other measures before it gets that far though, such as identifying the seats they are occupying during the game and tracking down the ticket holders and seriously sanctioning them. Not so long ago there would have been a massive punch up and that would have forced them to do something. 

I had two Leeds supporters sat behind me earlier in the season in the Chapel.  They had no colours and did not give it large when Leeds scored.  Not a problem.  Away supporters intent on winding up the home supporters is the problem.

I have sat in Fulham's 'neutral' session a couple of times watching Saints.  You don't know whether the person you are sat next to is a fellow Saint a Fulham supporter or a genuine neutral.  It actually makes it interesting.

• Like 3

Used to be loads of away fans in block 1 and 2, but now that block 2 is season ticket holders only, it is kicking off in various other parts of the ground instead. It's almost as if the home fans weren't the problem. Who knew? 

I assume the club will be punishing the home fans in the Kingsland who had the audacity to point out away fans in the home end? No? Thought not. 

• Like 2

I was in the Kingsland in the block next to the media area.  5 or 6 Gooners jumped up after they scored.  There was a bloke a few rows in front of me with his missus who then disappeared for about 10 mins which I thought was odd but about 30 secs after he returned the stewards turned up.  They identified one of them and removed him and then came back later, assume they were looking at cctv?, and removed another 5 or 6 inc a girl.  I assume he was grassing them up lol!  :) 

• Haha 2

I was in block 3 and there was a family sat in front of us, quiet no problem, enjoying the game,  and a woman next to us started asking everyone near her are you Arsenal fans. She asked the quiet family and the young lad on his first visit to a game innocently said Yes, should add he wasn't wearing any colours so you would never have known it as he sat quiet but I think the rest of the family were Saints fans. That was it, she screamed for a steward, 'throw them out, Arsenal fans shouldn't be in here'

.  Well officially of course she was correct, but here's an instance where common sense should have prevailed.  If anything had kicked off who would have been to blame??

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

Saw 2 quiet Chinese- looking fans led out from the kingsland just before kick off because one of them had a jacket that had a small 'emirates stadium' logo. 

Had a lad near me who hardly moved all match --- didn't react when either side scored. Presume he was an Arse, but apart from being the only person sitting down when we all jumped up as Armstrong scored,  he did nothing to attract attention. What's the harm if he/they keep their heads down and cause no problem? 

• Like 3

You have to have zero brain cells to spend money on a ticket to watch the team you support, the travel, the day out, the beers.....only to jump up when your team score and get kicked out on 10 minutes. It's really not difficult to keep yourself in check and thus not ruin your afternoon.

Mind you, last time i was in an away end was Millwall which focuses the mind to keep quiet at all times!

• Haha 1

The bit not mentioned here is the fact that the Arsenal game was a sell out - any Saints fans wanting tickets and presumably bolstering our vocal support would have been unable to buy one because some Arsenal fan had taken it (by fair means or foul)......

Had 2 Germans next to me in Block 40 who started laughing when Arsenal scored and looking longingly at the the main Arsenal fans - I asked them if they'd like to go and join them ... err no, they remained utterly passive for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Good to hear the club actually taking action. Had a few kids whooping with joy around me but whatever, they're just kids.

Hopefully they can manage to come up with a way to stamp this thing out at source.

Morning after pill?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 24/10/2022 at 11:00, manina-pub said:

The bit not mentioned here is the fact that the Arsenal game was a sell out - any Saints fans wanting tickets and presumably bolstering our vocal support would have been unable to buy one because some Arsenal fan had taken it (by fair means or foul)......

Told some Man C fans that last season. Said they were there to have fun and weren't causing an issue. I said they were diluting home support which seemed to be lost on them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, manina-pub said:

Absolutely the point when its a sell out - stewards appear (generally) not interested and turn a blind eye - less aggro for them I suppose

Agree that it's a bigger problem when game is sold out. Otherwise don't wear colours (that's just so stupid) and don't say anything.

I've done it a few times, always keep quiet and if anyone asks I just say I support a random non-league team and am just there to watch a match.

• Like 1