Our travelling support

OldNick

Support was good, whereas I thought Newcastle were actually quite quiet , they get all this hype about what amazing fans they are but really nothing special. 

Every time I go to St James' it reminds how bad the away end is, stuck miles from the pitch hard to make ourselves heard , not a good place to visit if you don't like heights or walking up hundreds of steps 

View from my seat

IMG-20230131-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.c967bdcbabde78514d8498b5d5faed1f.jpeg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Support was good, whereas I thought Newcastle were actually quite quiet , they get all this hype about what amazing fans they are but really nothing special. 

Every time I go to St James' it reminds how bad the away end is, stuck miles from the pitch hard to make ourselves heard , not a good place to visit if you don't like heights or walking up hundreds of steps 

View from my seat

Terrible. We give the away fans prime position to suppprt wheras they get awy with placing ours away from the action. Unfair advantage. Well done doing the trip, the support and voices great

• Like 7

Their support was pathetic I thought given how big a game this was for them.

Loud as fuck as teams came out and up to about 10 minutes in but dropped off hugely and sounded like an average league game.

Hundreds left early too which I thought was strange to say the least.

Edited by EssEffCee

3 hours ago, JRM said:

View from my seat

Watched the game on TV and even the commentators said the away fans were making an unusually loud noise. All credit to you. Personally, I don't mind us giving the away fans seats behind the goal. It adds to the atmosphere. Given how far people go to Newcastle, have always thought they're disrespectful giving such shitty seats to away fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRM said:

View from my seat

On the TV they were quite loud when the teams came out then for about 10 minutes, plus a few minutes at the end but saints fans came across really well. They were fawning all over them before the game about what an atmosphere it was, a special place to play football etc but it really wasn’t anything special at all.

• Like 1

Yup, completely agree with those points above. It was a cracking few days, got home a few hours ago. 

Saints support was excellent, Newcastle’s was pretty poor apart from the odd chant. Listening to the press, you’d have thought they were singing all game!

Dont get this media obsession with Newcastle atm. 

629AEED5-2510-419F-A583-C3B24113CF0E.jpeg

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

Said before the game that their support is overrated. Been there plenty of times and bar a couple it's been run of the mill support. Always good numbers but nothing special in terms of noise.

Fair play to everyone that went, you sounded great on TV.

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup, completely agree with those points above. It was a cracking few days, got home a few hours ago. 

Saints support was excellent, Newcastle’s was pretty poor apart from the odd chant. Listening to the press, you’d have thought they were singing all game!

Dont get this media obsession with Newcastle atm. 

629AEED5-2510-419F-A583-C3B24113CF0E.jpeg

I think the media obsession is because a new club is challenging the established big boys. That'd be a good thing if it wasn't being done with dirty Saudi cash. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, redandwhitey said:

Enjoyed the trip despite the result, but that level of support is what is needed at home games from now to the end of the season.

less groaning, more singing

Think it helped that most of our end was absolutely steaming after all day drinking! 

• Haha 2

It wasn’t that hard to work out on the OS ticket site, we had four and a half blocks, each block held around 620. Just before they took them off sale the day before there was less than 50 left, so would have been about 2,800.

We had an option to commit to 3,700 earlier in the week but club stuck to the first allocation, they got it spot on really.

• Like 1

Been up there a few times and it's a complete myth that their fans are loud, they're the same as any other clubs fans, noisy when things are going well, quiet when it's not.  What makes it worse is when they came down to us the week before, all day on Sky they had a film crews following them as they travelled the country saying how great they are for doing it, when our fans travel up there, not a mention

• Like 3

Funny enough I didn't think our support was that good, one OWTS in the second half was loud but besides from that cant remember much ( might have been the beers), there was quite a lot of us celebrating Adams goal in the concourse.... I think most people were just so pissed off to concede so early and effectively knock us out of the tie before the game had really even started.  

On 01/02/2023 at 18:18, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Watched the game on TV and even the commentators said the away fans were making an unusually loud noise. All credit to you. Personally, I don't mind us giving the away fans seats behind the goal. It adds to the atmosphere. Given how far people go to Newcastle, have always thought they're disrespectful giving such shitty seats to away fans.

what a good point. Newcastle is a great place to go and watch football...except for the god damn terrible position of the away end. I can understand why they do it, who else wants to sit right up there, but away fans bring more atmosphere to a game, so the home fans are actually missing out a little. I guess it could even be worse, they could put you in the top tier AND in the corner.  

21 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Funny enough I didn't think our support was that good, one OWTS in the second half was loud but besides from that cant remember much ( might have been the beers), there was quite a lot of us celebrating Adams goal in the concourse.... I think most people were just so pissed off to concede so early and effectively knock us out of the tie before the game had really even started.  

Someone needs to get their ears syringed?  Near constant singing where i was stood after Adams has scored until final whistle

Edited by warsash saint

On 01/02/2023 at 18:29, JRM said:

Believe it or not, there is actually a Premier League rule that insists that at least one block of the away supporters' section of the stadium must be pitch-side. I don't know how Newcastle (and Sunderland previously, as the rule was in place when they were still in the PL) get away with it.

• Like 2