Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

15 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

What sticks out for me is that no attacking player is switched on at all.

None of them willing to bust a gut to make a run or throw themselves at a cross or do a anthing different from just jogging next to their oppo, safe in the knowledge they won't get muddy and wet.

Fucking frauds, the lot of them. Gutless, lazy, unimaginative, waster, clueless, thick cunts!

I hope we fucking clean house when we go down. They can all fuck off. 

who will take them? they are on PL wages and big fat contracts.

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

who will take them? they are on PL wages and big fat contracts.

Lyanco Brazilian side interest 

Diallo French interest last summer

Bednarek - someone coming up?

Orisic - Croatia

Moussa - French club interested

Tall Pall - Belgian side

we won’t make any money like we paid but there will be takers.

Salisu

Bella

Lavia

KWP

JWP

are the transfers to get the money back from above

Edited by Give it to Ron

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Lyanco Brazilian side interest 

Diallo French interest last summer

Bednarek - someone coming up?

Orisic - Croatia

Moussa - French club interested

Tall Pall - Belgian side

we won’t make any money like we paid but there will be takers.

Salisu

Bella

Lavia

KWP

JWP

are the transfers to get the money back from above

but we will still have the basis of what we have, and any with the slightest sparkle will have gone. 

3 minutes ago, Maury Dyer said:

It's 2005 and Rednapp all over again. I wander where we will end up in 4/5 years from now. I don't think I will see Premier football here again. Cancer, lung and bowel. Shame really. 

Really sorry to hear this.  Puts worries about Saints getting relegated into perspective.  Wishing you and your family all the best at what is clearly a tough time.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Maury Dyer said:

It's 2005 and Rednapp all over again. I wander where we will end up in 4/5 years from now. I don't think I will see Premier football here again. Cancer, lung and bowel. Shame really. 

Sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best mate.

As for the Championship, should we go down I think we will do well. I have no idea who will stay and who will go but we know we have two proven goal scorers at that level, Adams and Armstrong. I think Mara would do well there too. Tella and Smallbone are proven performers at that level too now. You have to feel sorry for Tella though, going up with Burnley only to return to the Championship with us.

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best mate.

As for the Championship, should we go down I think we will do well. I have no idea who will stay and who will go but we know we have two proven goal scorers at that level, Adams and Armstrong. I think Mara would do well there too. Tella and Smallbone are proven performers at that level too now. You have to feel sorry for Tella though, going up with Burnley only to return to the Championship with us.

He could force a transfer, do a Gordon refuse to train 

1 hour ago, Maury Dyer said:

I wish you luck in your fight, it will be a damn more braver than our team put on. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maury Dyer said:

Don't give up. I just finished a course of radiotherapy for prostate. It was torrid but I got the all clear 2 days ago. These guys are real professionals (sadly unlike our football team)

• Like 16

Rinse and repeat.

On 27/02/2023 at 19:54, Fabrice29 said:

As a side issue to this, I genuinely believe these next few games are a chance for us to pick up points. Our squad completely melts when playing anyone who puts the onus on us to break them down but seems to relish playing against teams who are proactive. Leicester, United, Spurs will all have to be proactive against us, I've no doubt we'll play better in these games than the Brentford game especially, whether or not we pick up wins is up in the air because clearly we're playing some quality players who can take the game away at any time, but we'll definitely up our game in these games and almost certainly melt in the less challenging games.

Bringing in Elyonoussie was sheer stupidity on the part of Telles. Scoring goals will not come if Elyonoussie is one of the forwards. I don't care about the analytics. Can he create? Can he score goals? the answer is no. Can Che Adams score goals? No, the only thing he is expert at is getting offside and not being aware. We need to do something different because these two are getting us relegated. Equally A Armstrong.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Don't give up. I just finished a course of radiotherapy for prostate. It was torrid but I got the all clear 2 days ago. These guys are real professionals (sadly unlike our football team)

great news

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SaintJakko said:

Like what has already been stated here. Tonight was a display of why we are where we are. Good possession football with no real intent or threat. Completely tepid. Like a real boring handjob, it’s nice and that.. but it’s not really going to lead to anything is it? 

You need individuals that are switched on, wanting to make those toward passes that catch the opposition off guard, bust a gut, show real intent. Even just having the balls and talent to have a go. Our players just do not have that quality. You look at our squad and you just cannot see where the goals come from. 

Yes sometimes we will pinch a goal or two and fight out for that 1-0 win. It’s rare, usually well deserved. But you need goals and threat to consistently do this. We just do not have this. 

Selles has improved us, the rest from what I can see is a player issue. 

Lots of good comments from everyone. Have highlighted the key phrases there. Couldn't have put it better, after enduring that game from the cheap seats.

Why are all the press conferences talking about 'team morale...great bunch of lads .." Who is coaching them? Do they not know HOW to play football with an intent to win? Why is it all about ball retention and possession. Brentford were nothing special last night and we should have beaten them. We just didn't know how, or try to. Brentford attacked for the first 10 minutes until we got the ball into their half finally. Once they scored their first goal, nothing happened of note, nothing at all. 

Relegation is a certainty.

• Like 3

Brentford are a good side. We played better football than them and from where I was sat there seemed to be a massive overall improvement in passing and defending. Still not cutting in attack but if we’d played Brentford even a month ago they would have smashed us. We are improving but probably not fast enough to stay up when we still can’t convert chances. Tactically I think trying the switch of Ely and Diallo for the starting two later in the game rather than the other way round was the wrong move but I get why he tried it. We setup to hold them out first half and then move into a more aggressive game in the second. If we hadn’t conceded our usual set piece then maybe it would have worked as Brentford would not have been able to sit back. 

Unfortunately for all the improvement it is probably too little, too late, and it’s not Selles fault. I am excited about what we can do in the championship though, if we can keep hold of a couple of the players and reinvest money from the stars we sell.

Should be good fun and would be nice to get a good atmosphere at home games again, it’s been way too long.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

Brentford are a good side. We played better football than them and from where I was sat there seemed to be a massive overall improvement in passing and defending. Still not cutting in attack but if we’d played Brentford even a month ago they would have smashed us. We are improving but probably not fast enough to stay up when we still can’t convert chances. Tactically I think trying the switch of Ely and Diallo for the starting two later in the game rather than the other way round was the wrong move but I get why he tried it. We setup to hold them out first half and then move into a more aggressive game in the second. If we hadn’t conceded our usual set piece then maybe it would have worked as Brentford would not have been able to sit back. 

Unfortunately for all the improvement it is probably too little, too late, and it’s not Selles fault. I am excited about what we can do in the championship though, if we can keep hold of a couple of the players and reinvest money from the stars we sell.

Should be good fun and would be nice to get a good atmosphere at home games again, it’s been way too long.

Absolutely right. 

I thought last night (long trip) that we played well. As we have all season TBF. 

We all know and I hope Ramus does also, that we dropped a massive bollock with NJ. (That decision alone imo has cost us a Premiership position next season). 

However not the same circumstances, but I still believe it made us a better club when we ended up in L1. (I don’t want to repeat it of course) A real reality check and reset.  Marcus was 100% the reason we got back. 

If the worst happens, it should be a fantastic season, ( I’m not sure I can bring myself to set foot in Trash-ton Gate)

But if we concentrate on football not spreadsheets, stats and of course a couple of real attacking front men. Another Burnley in the making. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, macca155 said:

Stephens had his detractors but last night he could have played right back to counter their aerial threat.

playing Stephens at right back has to be the new low in forum solutions to us being crap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I thought last night (long trip) that we played well. As we have all season TBF. 

What in earth are you talking about? Did you go to the Brentford away game? How about Brighton at home? Villa away, Forest at home, Lincoln and Grimsby in the cup? Leeds away? Leicester and Wolves at home? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I normally support referees on account of my history but that one tonight was poor. His positioning was awful, getting too close to the ball and got in the way twice in the first half, something you hardly ever see. I’d love to know what Bednarek said to him when he ran up to him after he had blocked JWP’s wonderful cross field pass. He broke up what was becoming a beautiful sequence of passes.

Something needs to be done about all these players sitting down at every opportunity. Maybe the game should just carry in without them. If it’s not a head injury there should be no reason to have the medics come onto the field. Don’t they carry on in rugby with the game going on around them?

Yes, play does continue. I am a former player and rugby referee (though only at amateur club level) and should a player be injured a physio comes on and play continues. Should play come close to the injured player then the referee may stop the play. Feigning an injury is (or at least *was* in my day) frowned upon by the players themselves. There was an element of the macho in that players would see themselves as physically able to take the hits. Therefore if a player required treatment it was very likely to be painful. I believe this is still the same mentality currently, although I have seen the occasional dive.

As for arguing with the referee … almost unheard of. The referee can march play 10 metres upfield if a player so much as frowns. Should a player concede the 10 metres, he is seen as letting-the-side-down is this disapproval from his team-mates is by far the worst punishment a player can receive. 

On 15/03/2023 at 20:20, Chez said:

No idea why you would think a 20 year old would be  more injury prone than a 30 year old.

Where in my post did I say he was more injury prone than a 30 year old? Even though hes had his fair share of injuries.

Just read what Selles said about the team selection - "Some can't play 90 minutes every three days. It was a no-brainer." That obviously included Lavia - so his fitness is obviously an issue....

10 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Yes, play does continue. I am a former player and rugby referee (though only at amateur club level) and should a player be injured a physio comes on and play continues. Should play come close to the injured player then the referee may stop the play. Feigning an injury is (or at least *was* in my day) frowned upon by the players themselves. There was an element of the macho in that players would see themselves as physically able to take the hits. Therefore if a player required treatment it was very likely to be painful. I believe this is still the same mentality currently, although I have seen the occasional dive.

As for arguing with the referee … almost unheard of. The referee can march play 10 metres upfield if a player so much as frowns. Should a player concede the 10 metres, he is seen as letting-the-side-down is this disapproval from his team-mates is by far the worst punishment a player can receive. 

Thanks for that. “Rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen”

3 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

The sooner the football authorities adopt the rugby system of allowing play to continue if a player is injured, the better.

It's so frustrating that we've gone the opposite way from this. Players going off the pitch used to be to receive treatment, not that they receive treatment on the field and then stand on the sideline for 2 seconds before coming back on. 

You can’t blame Brentford (and others) for time wasting, it’s weak refs not taking control of it. I can’t recall a player against us being booked all season for time wasting, and yet I can think of at least two that we’ve had - KWP taking a first half throw in was a particularly bizarre one. Considering how few times we’ve been in a position to time waste this season, given how shit we’ve been, that’s pretty bewildering. 

Michael Salisbury is weak as they come, proven by the lino flagging (correctly) for a Brentford throw, only for JWP to pick the ball up and take the throw in and Salisbury just allowing him to do so. 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It's so frustrating that we've gone the opposite way from this. Players going off the pitch used to be to receive treatment, not that they receive treatment on the field and then stand on the sideline for 2 seconds before coming back on. 

I read recently somewhere about a trial system where if a player is treated on the pitch he has to leave and wait several minutes before returning.

There definitely seems to be a rise in fake head injuries, and players going down acting like they’ve been ko’d whilst defending corners. To me if a player goes down holding his head then he should have to leave the field whilst play continues in order to have a thorough assessment by a neutral doctor. I’m sure this would stop faking of head injuries in order to get the game stopped, but i’d imagine the increased focus on how football deals with head injuries already would make them reluctant to discourage genuine ones from going down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I read recently somewhere about a trial system where if a player is treated on the pitch he has to leave and wait several minutes before returning.

It's frustrating because there's so many options to sort this nonsense out: Get the player off the pitch and do treatment off the pitch and let play continue; for every minute treated on the pitch, the player has to spend the corresponding time standing on the byeline before coming back on; like rugby, get treatment on the pitch but let play continue...

It's the way players lie dead for 5 minutes, then hobble off aided and then sprint back on faster than Usain Bolt that is really galling. I blame De Canio.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Where in my post did I say he was more injury prone than a 30 year old? Even though hes had his fair share of injuries.

Just read what Selles said about the team selection - "Some can't play 90 minutes every three days. It was a no-brainer." That obviously included Lavia - so his fitness is obviously an issue....

Maybe I misunderstood your post. You were talking about fitness and then said relying on a guy that had only played U23 football was a risk.

I don't regard young players as fitness risks. Old players are fitness risks. Injury prone players are fitness risks.

If you were just talking about his lack of experience being a risk, that would be understandable, but as it turns out, not something that has been a problem. 

His fitness certainly is an issue.