Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

How cheap?

Cant see it being anything like the home game last year. 😢

Is it on TV?

Doubt there's many left at cheapest price, but a mate of mine who has a membership said he paid £15 for him and £1 for his kid, unbelievable prices for Premier league football in 2023. Don't think it's on tv, rearranged from weekend when Queen Elizabeth II died. 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2022-23/saints-vs-brentford-2023-03-15/ticket-info

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Always grates a bit that tickets are cheaper than my season ticket portion 

There's only two Cat D games a season , they are deliberately cheap to offer affordable football against what are usually less attractive opposition, this year the two were Brentford and Leicester, most other games cost a lot more 

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Perhaps stating the obvious but this is a winnable game for us. Brentford's position in the League flatters them. They've shown against Everton they're toothless up front. All bets on Toney scoring are off 😉

They’re all winnable. It’s just that some are more winnable than others.

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Perhaps stating the obvious but this is a winnable game for us. Brentford's position in the League flatters them. They've shown against Everton they're toothless up front. All bets on Toney scoring are off 😉

When is Toney's hearing? At this rate the season will be over before they get round to it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

When is Toney's hearing? At this rate the season will be over before they get round to it 

Close to the end of the season I heard. Since he clearly will play against us I hope his ban doesn't start until they've played all our relegation rivals.

Yeah its £16.50 in the corner for it 

On 10/03/2023 at 18:21, JRM said:

Doubt there's many left at cheapest price, but a mate of mine who has a membership said he paid £15 for him and £1 for his kid, unbelievable prices for Premier league football in 2023. Don't think it's on tv, rearranged from weekend when Queen Elizabeth II died. 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2022-23/saints-vs-brentford-2023-03-15/ticket-info

Yeah i got one in the corner £16.50  in the corner with booking fee  ,I dont even have a membership or anything -hopefully a decent game and not too much of the teams rolling it sideways 

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Massive, massive game in terms of momentum and confidence. More of the same as today and we will start taking the 3 points. Saints to win this, likely tight but predicting 1-0 or 2-1. COYR! 

Agree its massive chance to catch up with the group above us, just worry about who can take their chances for us 

Win this one and I'll fully believe we can get out of this. The worry is that we truly never perform when the pressure is really on like it will be Wednesday.

Not sure what to expect with the attacking positions, as Walcott definitely doesn't deserve to hold a spot after today. Rest of the team picks itself other than that spot I'd say.

• Like 1

A must win and the crowd need to play a part in this. 

Get behind the boys from minute 1. If we make a sloppy pass or pass back to the keeper, encourage rather than moan. 

The circumstances are high pressure enough, they don’t need the weight of 30k dinlos groaning at them as well. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Grimsby1984 said:

Yeah its £16.50 in the corner for it 

Yeah i got one in the corner £16.50  in the corner with booking fee  ,I dont even have a membership or anything -hopefully a decent game and not too much of the teams rolling it sideways 

Hopefully you'll see a better Saints performance than our last outing on a Wednesday night 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dman said:

Get behind the boys from minute 1. If we make a sloppy pass or pass back to the keeper, encourage rather than moan. 

The circumstances are high pressure enough, they don’t need the weight of 30k dinlos groaning at them as well. 

Totally agree about the fans role Wednesday.  No booing the announcements or subs please.  No nervous groans if someone makes a mistake.  Spirit of the great escapes needed for those old enough to remember. For those too young ask an oldie to mentor you on how to support your team in a relegation scrap.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bazunu;

KWP, Bednerak, ABK, Perraud;

Lavia, JWP;

Walcott,Alcaraz, Sulemana;

Adams.

Nothing needs to change.

Tend to agree. Thought all the back four were excellent today with Perraud & KWP making great runs. Midfield is looking solid. Liked the way Alcaraz seemed to spearhead the press. Sulemana is starting to look dangerous. Che can lay off a pass. Main issue is subs. Never ever want to see AA coming on again. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Tend to agree. Thought all the back four were excellent today with Perraud & KWP making great runs. Midfield is looking solid. Liked the way Alcaraz seemed to spearhead the press. Sulemana is starting to look dangerous. Che can lay off a pass. Main issue is subs. Never ever want to see AA coming on again. 

If only we can be three nil up in this game before we need to make any subs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dman said:

You feeling ok 👀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Win this one and I'll fully believe we can get out of this. The worry is that we truly never perform when the pressure is really on like it will be Wednesday.

Not sure what to expect with the attacking positions, as Walcott definitely doesn't deserve to hold a spot after today. Rest of the team picks itself other than that spot I'd say.

I think Walcott has been pretty transformative in the way we now play under Selles. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

I think Walcott has been pretty transformative in the way we now play under Selles. 

I’ve generally been very happy with his overall play but today proved that I still don’t think he’s got it in him to produce the decisive moments we now need.

Granted, not sure anyone on the bench does either. At least he has the movement (positionally, not speed-wise clearly).

Wouldn’t be the end of the world to pick up another point here. Yes, 3 would be monumental in terms of psychology as we’d be out of the drop zone. I think that not losing could start to become a good habit for us though. 
That said I think we’ll win 2-0. Unchanged line up.

4 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Wouldn’t be the end of the world to pick up another point here. Yes, 3 would be monumental in terms of psychology as we’d be out of the drop zone. I think that not losing could start to become a good habit for us though. 
That said I think we’ll win 2-0. Unchanged line up.

I think i'd take a draw as well, but i'd want a draw from the Spurs game then too. If we win midweek then Spurs is another free hit game for me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Completely different game to the ones we've picked up points in recently and the type of game we normally struggle in. Onus will be on us to break them down so crowd needs to be patient and not get frustrated. 

I think the biggest thing we need to work on is even if we can't break them down, we don't lose concentration on our own defensive side of the game. Another clean sheet would be another huge step forward, regardless of whether we score to win the game ourselves.

• Like 1

Cannot underestimate Brentford and the relatively great season they’re having. They’re a well drilled side, difficult to break down and able to find ways to win games. We’ll need to once again be at our best to get a result, but three points here could be huge. I’m not overly confident to be honest…head says 1-2…heart says 1-0.

9 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Completely different game to the ones we've picked up points in recently and the type of game we normally struggle in. Onus will be on us to break them down so crowd needs to be patient and not get frustrated. 

Like Leeds - where we wasted time from the off and created nothing tangible? A point isn’t good enough. It’s Brentford at home for goodness sake!! We’re running out of games so if people think a draw on Wednesday, after getting a point yesterday, is a decent result then we’re destined for The Championship. 

• Like 1

I watched their game on Saturday and they were decent. They didn't stop either. Pickford didn't have too much to do but id expect us to be facing many balls into the box. 

I'd take a point here and against Spurs given the fixtures the other teams have to play too.

On 10/03/2023 at 19:06, Charlie Wayman said:

Tickets have been on general sale for some time. I grabbed a good seat in the Itchen for about £35, much cheaper than normal.

Good to hear that your three and a half year personal protest is at an end now Chaz 👍

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic