Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

No issues with that team. Diallo has had some good games and some stinkers but must be showing enough in training. Maybe the plan is to bring Lavia on to push things later in the game once they are a bit tired and maybe with yellows.

As for Moi, he will do a job. He won’t skin a full back with pace or do ten step overs to bamboozle an opponent but he will work defensively, allowing our full backs to push on. Marsden was a great foil for allowing Bridgey to push on back in the day. Maybe this is something similar. 
2-0 Saints win. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Does Lavia have fitness issues?

Can understand Theo given age and the shift he put in at the weeked. Perhaps sensible to have him off the bench.

Still no Edozie...

Interesting that Bree is on the bench, since the Mrs and I are about to have salad, olives and um....cheese for dinner.

Midfielders are more prone to injury than any other position. Younger players are also more prone to injury. Training is intense and can result in injury just on its own, it is statistically less than matchplay, but not by alot

Point being, it is good longer term to protect the younger players 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wouldn’t have selected Elyounoussi or Diallo.

Would have preferred Tall Paul instead of Che as well.

If everyone is fit, that is a shocker from Selles.

He obviously thinks Lavia and Walcott need a rest with another game in a few days. Assuming they do, there's no obvious alternative to Diallo in midfield. Out wide, I'd prefer Stu Armstrong over Ely but his choice was between those 2. 

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wouldn’t have selected Elyounoussi or Diallo.

Would have preferred Tall Paul instead of Che as well.

If everyone is fit, that is a shocker from Selles.

What's tall Paul done to get in ahead of Che? Just lumps around and goes off blowing after 60 minutes. 

• Like 1

Disappointed to see Moi starting. It's about time he contributed something in the offensive sense by making some penetrating runs forward or defence splitting passes but not holding my breath. Lavia on the bench also makes us far weaker. Still, I guess Ruben wants to give some a rest after only playing recently. Makes this a bit tougher but still possible we'll get the win.

Just now, saintant said:

Disappointed to see Moi starting. It's about time he contributed something in the offensive sense by making some penetrating runs forward or defence splitting passes but not holding my breath. Lavia on the bench also makes us far weaker. Still, I guess Ruben wants to give some a rest after only playing recently. Makes this a bit tougher but still possible we'll get the win.

His passing has been awful and the only times he's looked good for us is when he makes late runs into the box to get a header or a shot on goal, he needs to be hanging around the edge of the box more often. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

His passing has been awful and the only times he's looked good for us is when he makes late runs into the box to get a header or a shot on goal, he needs to be hanging around the edge of the box more often. 

For me he could at least show that he cares by busting a gut for the team but he seems to just amble through games having zero influence.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

For me he could at least show that he cares by busting a gut for the team but he seems to just amble through games having zero influence.

I don't think that's fair, the one thing you can't criticise him for is his effort. It's the reason he consistently gets picked by different managers is the effort he puts in to close down and the discipline he has in maintaining shape.

6 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

What's tall Paul done to get in ahead of Che? Just lumps around and goes off blowing after 60 minutes. 

Tall Paul was a Jones thing, the goalkeeper kicks up to Paul, player picks up the second ball, pass to a runner on the wing, crosses it in, then tall Paul scores or creates something. The gameplay is more to feet now, more about Adams either scoring, or holding for the three in behind to score. It's more defensive 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think that's fair, the one thing you can't criticise him for is his effort. It's the reason he consistently gets picked by different managers is the effort he puts in to close down and the discipline he has in maintaining shape.

Maybe busting a gut is the wrong choice of words and I do get that he does do some defensive stuff but surely he's meant to help out offensively. He just never seems to look capable of troubling opponents in that area and we are weaker going forward with him in the side. He's had loads of chances and should be delivering far more especially at this critical time.

• Like 1

Whatever happens, saints need to keep possession. Brentford can overwhelm with their playing style, it's very wide and they keep tight. It's very clever, need to disorientate them and get them out of position. It'll be a good game to watch

49 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Play him in the most important and winnable one then?

Thanks to Jones, that kind of thinking is irrelevant. To have any chance of staying up we’re going to need regular points from games like Man Utd and Spurs, regardless of how ‘winnable’ they are. Picking one winnable game out of three simply isn’t good enough, when you’re bottom of the league in March.

Just now, Ted Bates Statue said:

4-2-3-1 doesn't seem like an outrageous suggestion to me.

My point was that the BBC listed Stones and Haaland as playing behind a striker. They were not. The BBC are unreliable. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic