Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

This is going to be a nail biting, anxious and distracting day for most fans especially those going up to St Mary's this evening. This match matters. Most will be feeling that we must win at all cost but dreading the oft repeated experience of abject disappointment on the night. So often in the past hope has translated into despair and in this season more often than not.

Certainly not a day for faint hearts and certainly not a day for passivity. Today we can and must be the twelfth man, staying positive, staying optimistic and above all getting behind our lads tonight and letting them know we care. Every voice matters, together we can do it. Make St Mary's a wall of sound.

COYS

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

When they closed block 1 they also closed part of block 48 so away fans are not right on the divide, but that happened after we were due to play Brentford in the original game in Sept so they'd have some fans with tickets in that bit. 

Less than 200 home end tickets left for tonight so should be a sell out, good for a 7.30 Wednesday game but most tickets were sold when this was due to be a 3pm Saturday game (was only called off day before wasn't it?) 

Correct. The original game was scheduled for the 10th September but all games were called off on the 9th.

18 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I’ve got peacock here in the USA but they aren’t showing it live. They are only showing a replay 24 hours after the match has finished. 

Yeah I have just noticed on the PL app (USA version) it's been switched to USA. Point still stands that a stream should be doing the rounds.

It does make it annoying for people who allegedly have the US version of Peacock in the UK and the game is moved to USA or NBC

Not listened to the presser but I would keep the same starting line up as previous matches.

ABK looked to be struggling last game so its Salisu in for him.

To freshen it up he must get S Armstrong, Maitland, Edozie off the bench first.

Adam Armstrong & Maru should get on the pitch sometime but hopefully only during  the half time kick about.

THIS IS MASSIVE TONIGHT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

This is going to be a nail biting, anxious and distracting day for most fans especially those going up to St Mary's this evening. This match matters. Most will be feeling that we must win at all cost but dreading the oft repeated experience of abject disappointment on the night. So often in the past hope has translated into despair and in this season more often than not.

Certainly not a day for faint hearts and certainly not a day for passivity. Today we can and must be the twelfth man, staying positive, staying optimistic and above all getting behind our lads tonight and letting them know we care. Every voice matters, together we can do it. Make St Mary's a wall of sound.

COYS

Bloody hell mate, it's a football match, not Braveheart.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Everton ain't helped and the point for Leeds is a kicker.

As is often said, there’s no point over analysing what other teams do. We have to concentrate on winning our games and if that’s still not enough at least we can be proud of our team for giving everything.

• Like 2

Bit of a nervous wreck today.. Really feel tonight could be a massive turning point in the season.. Get a positive result tonight and then there is less pressure on the Spurs game.. We're so brittle in our mentality that it seems that the moment a bit of pressure emerges we fall to pieces. The relative up lift in performances / results since Selles came in seems to have eased the fear a tad.. A bad result tonight and I think it really is goodnight Vienna (I'm pretty confident it already is but you know.. always hope etc.) 

I am not really nervous. This season feels different, in that we have been so bad, are on the third manager and based until now absolutely deserve to be relegated.

We have a chance still, but I don't really have belief that we will take it. We can't keep winning 1-0 and don't have any obvious way of starting to score more goals - and that will be needed to stay up considering the fixtures we have.

If we win tonight then maybe I will start to believe a bit, but I certainly don't expect us to win, and thats based on logic and factual patterns from this season rather than a deep rooted negativity.

Its actually quite amazing that we aren't dead and buried already.

• Like 3

One key thing: if you look at the players we brought in in Jan compared to other teams, there's a key difference. We genuinely have a better squad than the first half of the season. Our relegation peers did not improve to same extent (bournemouth poss exception).   So even leaving aside the manager drama, there's an objective reason to think we will do better in rest of season than we did first half.  Haven't seen tall Paul come through yet, but Alcaraz and Sulemana are fantastic talents, and I think they adjust better to the league w every game. That plus Lavia's return (and, yes, the steadying hand of Selles) is what gives me reason to believe. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I am not really nervous. This season feels different, in that we have been so bad, are on the third manager and based until now absolutely deserve to be relegated.

We have a chance still, but I don't really have belief that we will take it. We can't keep winning 1-0 and don't have any obvious way of starting to score more goals - and that will be needed to stay up considering the fixtures we have.

If we win tonight then maybe I will start to believe a bit, but I certainly don't expect us to win, and thats based on logic and factual patterns from this season rather than a deep rooted negativity.

Its actually quite amazing that we aren't dead and buried already.

There is no way a team should be able to stay up with a debacle quite like the Jones one.

Saying that, there's also no chance that nerves and a sudden wave of expectation/belief won't come across me closer to kick-off.

Can't make the Spurs game due to the train strikes so hoping for a good game tonight at least.

12 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Would like to see tall Paul given a run in the side.  With his career goals to games ratio, he has to be our best finisher by a country mile.

over than a long range effort, has he even had a clear cut chance? Id like to see him and che upfront for a bit

This feels more like an end-of-season 'great escape' game than one still in March - if we can find the same kind of belief on the terraces as well as on the pitch it should make for a passionate encounter. We had a few in the Dell days, Southampton/Pahars/Everton springs to mind (quarter a century ago!), something like that should do it.

Around 150 tickets left for this tonight, just about all the expensive halfway line ones (650 left for the spurs match - so both should sell-out).

• Like 2

On 14/03/2023 at 07:49, Dark Munster said:

I’ve got peacock here in the USA but they aren’t showing it live. They are only showing a replay 24 hours after the match has finished. 

NBC Also owns USA network, so to drive up viewing numbers they show some games live on that channel then hold the release on Peacock, pain in the ass, but means streams should be plentiful. 

21 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Thought there was some potential in the way Che and Sulemana linked up, more so than Tall Paul and Sulemana. In fact, just getting the impression that Tall Paul isn't really a fit for the current set up, so not sure how much game time he'll get tomorrow.

Not sure that Tall Paul is a fit for the Premier League let alone Saints, looks like he may have attempted a step up too far, from his brief appearances so far he has not impressed like Graziano Pellè did in his initial games. Unless he starts poaching some goals during his cameos I am not sure we will see very much of him at all.

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Elyounoussi and Diallo.... Uh oh

Does Lavia have fitness issues?

Can understand Theo given age and the shift he put in at the weeked. Perhaps sensible to have him off the bench.

Still no Edozie...

Interesting that Bree is on the bench, since the Mrs and I are about to have salad, olives and um....cheese for dinner.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Does Lavia have fitness issues?

Can understand Theo given age and the shift he put in at the weeked. Perhaps sensible to have him off the bench.

Still no Edozie...

Interesting that Bree is on the bench, since the Mrs and I are about to have salad, olives and um....cheese for dinner.

Better pick it up so you dont forget it

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic