Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

32 minutes ago, StDunko said:

After the Grimsby game, I swore not to waste any more money on Saints this season.

But I've just booked a ticket for this...

I'm in the same boat 😅

Realistically, I don't think anything but three points is good enough. It's going to be nervy.

Only about 700 tickets left by the looks of things, so gonna be a decent crowd.

We got absolutely stuffed by Brentford last time, but after their defeat at Everton and our draw at Old Trafford there will be a little more optimism about. Despite the defat, it did look like Brentford created chances, so we will need to play well.  

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

Only about 700 tickets left by the looks of things, so gonna be a decent crowd.

We got absolutely stuffed by Brentford last time, but after their defeat at Everton and our draw at Old Trafford there will be a little more optimism about. Despite the defat, it did look like Brentford created chances, so we will need to play well.  

They are certainly having a good season. We will need to be on it to get a positive result for sure.

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I think i'd take a draw as well, but i'd want a draw from the Spurs game then too. If we win midweek then Spurs is another free hit game for me. 

It's too late for draws. Got to go for wins every time. We may lose some by over-committing, but you garner more points from WL (3 pts) than from DD (2pts).

• Like 5

we beat them 4-1 at SMS last season. They have then won 3-0 and 3-0, so a 4-1 victory would make things nice and neat and tidy (and really boost confidence for the run in), although I'll take any kind of result.

Must win IMO. We have 12 games left and we are bottom of the Premier League with a crappy goal difference. We are running out of time and draws are not going to keep us up. This is every bit a must win game if we even want a chance of staying up. Brentford have been very good this season but they're beatable as long as we can put the ball in the back of the net. They'll come at us but as long as we can keep the defence tight (which we seem to be getting the grasp of of late) then we can hopefully nick a goal.

I already think we're down despite our recent upturn in form under Selles BUT a win would go a long way to getting me to think otherwise. At least it would offer us the chance to dream of an escape.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

It's too late for draws. Got to go for wins every time. We may lose some by over-committing, but you garner more points from WL (3 pts) than from DD (2pts).

It's not too late for draws at all. I had us staying up on 34 points which means we need 12 points from 12 games. With the games left I would expect us to win against Palace, Bournemouth and then at least one of Forest or West Ham, which then leaves us needing 3 points (3 draws) from the other 9 games. 

35 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Must win IMO. We have 12 games left and we are bottom of the Premier League with a crappy goal difference. We are running out of time and draws are not going to keep us up. This is every bit a must win game if we even want a chance of staying up. Brentford have been very good this season but they're beatable as long as we can put the ball in the back of the net. They'll come at us but as long as we can keep the defence tight (which we seem to be getting the grasp of of late) then we can hopefully nick a goal.

I already think we're down despite our recent upturn in form under Selles BUT a win would go a long way to getting me to think otherwise. At least it would offer us the chance to dream of an escape.

I know what you mean.

but I reckon we’ve already lost about 5 ‘must win’ games this season, and I’ve concluded we’re already down around half a dozen times.

As someone else said, can’t believe there’s still hope given what we’ve all been through

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's not too late for draws at all. I had us staying up on 34 points which means we need 12 points from 12 games. With the games left I would expect us to win against Palace, Bournemouth and then at least one of Forest or West Ham, which then leaves us needing 3 points (3 draws) from the other 9 games. 

34 seems a bit low.

If it is then Forest only need 8 points from 12 games which is basically 2 more wins for them. And then others only 10 points each from 12, so they could all go on pretty dreadful runs for the rest of the season and still match your expected points tally for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

34 seems a bit low.

If it is then Forest only need 8 points from 12 games which is basically 2 more wins for them. And then others only 10 points each from 12, so they could all go on pretty dreadful runs for the rest of the season and still match your expected points tally for us.

Agree with that, but some of the teams in front of us are in really bad form (Leicester, West Ham, Leeds, Forest).  If we can continue our improvements under Selles (7 points from 4 games if I am not losing my mind, which is possible) we could get to 36-38 points which I think will be enough this season.

That does depend on us being able to put the ball in the back of the net though.

It's infuriating we wasted those winnable games with a useless plonker that was out of his depth from day 1.  

Let's hope Selles continues to keep us well organized 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Like Leeds - where we wasted time from the off and created nothing tangible? A point isn’t good enough. It’s Brentford at home for goodness sake!! We’re running out of games so if people think a draw on Wednesday, after getting a point yesterday, is a decent result then we’re destined for The Championship. 

I think the team is in a really precarious position in terms of mindset. It's had two good results in a row, 3 clean sheets in 4 and is starting to ever so slightly turn a corner. The last thing it needs is a baying crowd shouting "It's Brentford at home for goodness sake!!". Sadly, I think it'll get that but it could really do with a crowd that recognises it's need, is positive from the start and backs whatever game plan is set out rather than what it did against Leicester which was get incredibly upset at a short goal kick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Not picking on you individually because you read this sort of stuff a lot, but this is just nonsense! We don't HAVE to win to have a chance to stay up - obviously it would help (!) but if we draw with Brentford and beat Spurs are you really going to be thinking we are definitely down on Saturday night? Of course not, so we don't HAVE to beat Brentford. Rant over.😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Not picking on you individually because you read this sort of stuff a lot, but this is just nonsense! We don't HAVE to win to have a chance to stay up - obviously it would help (!) but if we draw with Brentford and beat Spurs are you really going to be thinking we are definitely down on Saturday night? Of course not, so we don't HAVE to beat Brentford. Rant over.😉

So you think we’ve got a better or equal chance of beating Spurs rather than Brentford? Really? Of course we don’t HAVE to beat Brentford - we don’t HAVE to win another game this season - but if we don’t start picking up three points we will ultimately run out of time and opportunities. With that in mind, it’s true to say that thanks to the abysmal performances up until Jones was sacked, EVERY game from now until the end of the season is ‘must win’. Or to put it another way, I wouldn’t send a team out saying “don’t worry…just have a fun time…we don’t need to win”, would you? 🤔🤨

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

So you think we’ve got a better or equal chance of beating Spurs rather than Brentford? Really? Of course we don’t HAVE to beat Brentford - we don’t HAVE to win another game this season - but if we don’t start picking up three points we will ultimately run out of time and opportunities. With that in mind, it’s true to say that thanks to the abysmal performances up until Jones was sacked, EVERY game from now until the end of the season is ‘must win’. Or to put it another way, I wouldn’t send a team out saying “don’t worry…just have a fun time…we don’t need to win”, would you? 🤔🤨

I'd rather we win against both Brentford and Spurs 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think the team is in a really precarious position in terms of mindset. It's had two good results in a row, 3 clean sheets in 4 and is starting to ever so slightly turn a corner. The last thing it needs is a baying crowd shouting "It's Brentford at home for goodness sake!!". Sadly, I think it'll get that but it could really do with a crowd that recognises it's need, is positive from the start and backs whatever game plan is set out rather than what it did against Leicester which was get incredibly upset at a short goal kick.

To a degree Fabrice I agree…..but at what point do we say a draw simply isn’t good enough? I think we’re there BIM how many games are left and that we’re coming off the back of good results. We need 4 points from the next two games.

41 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bit of a joke this, given the original tickets I assume are still valid ? My mate paid £35 I think back in September or whenevr it was.

It's always been a Cat D game, the cheap price was only in Itchen South Chapel corner. 

Prices are more elsewhere in the ground. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bit of a joke this, given the original tickets I assume are still valid ? My mate paid £35 I think back in September or whenevr it was.

Still tickets at that price and higher on sale.

I paid £25 + booking fee for the one I bought the other day, as I wanted a decent view...

On 13/03/2023 at 10:05, AlexLaw76 said:

I bagged a ticket for this, £15+ booking fee..

that'll do for a big game

Out of interest, was that for the Itchen/Chapel corner and is it an Adult ticket? Bloody good value that. A few £25 tickets still available, which is still a decent price.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Out of interest, was that for the Itchen/Chapel corner and is it an Adult ticket? Bloody good value that. A few £25 tickets still available, which is still a decent price.

Mine was £15 plus the ridiculous £1.50 booking fee. Am in the Itchen corner and was from the original date the game was supposed to be played. It was a tenner for my lad

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 02:52, Saint_clark said:

I think i'd take a draw as well, but i'd want a draw from the Spurs game then too. If we win midweek then Spurs is another free hit game for me. 

Nah, we need to win some games. We won't stay up with a bunch of draws and we will run out of games where we can get a win if we don't start winning soon. Important to win this one to build on recent momentum (Grimsby aside).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

34 seems a bit low.

Yeah, it will be more like 36+.

Based on performance so far, Leeds are on course for 33 or 34 points. Bournemouth, WHU, Leicester and Everton are all on course for 35 points, and Forest and Wolves are on course for 38.

So, if you think we will stay up on 34, bearing in mind we have a poor GD, you are banking on Leeds not improving and on two of the others being poor to the point where we turn around a large GD deficit, whilst not winning many games ourselves. 

Seems unlikely. 

We need to be targetting 36 minimum and even if we are on 36 going into the final day, I don't think we'll be safe.

• Like 3

Sack the lights and the band off and give Brian May a call. He can bring his famous fireplace guitar down and crank out the opening riff to One Vision. That should wake a few up for yet another massive game.

Ruben Selles Red  n white army non stop for the first 30 mins too. Get St Mary's rockin'

• Like 2

No two ways about it. This is an absolutely massive game for us.

Yours sincerely, Captain Obvious.

Win this, and we are out of the relegation zone, for the first time since November.

The psychological boost for everyone connected with the Club will be immense.

Our fate would be back in our own hands, and if we can follow it up with at least a point from Spurs, we go to West Ham brimming with confidence, and a chance to really lift ourselves up above the pack, whilst piling the pressure on the others.

We've been playing under that pressure for so long now. It acts as a great weight upon our performances. If it can be released, and we can go into the last few games playing without fear, and St. Mary's have that miserable cloud of nervous energy dissipate, we will give ourselves every chance of getting out of this mess.

Could very well be one of the most significant weeks in our recent history, and in front of a full house.

For all the right reasons, let's make it a week that lives long in the memory.

• Like 4

Going to chuck a sickie tomorrow to watch this 🤢 so hopefully worth it

id go unchanged, thought walcott got into our best positions (even though he fucked them up), his runs were very smart so hopefully he can finish one, would be good to see the old boy score one more time. 

2-0 saints, walcott and Adams with baz full of confidence to have another important game.

Why is Edozie suddenly the forgotten child. Although Walcott puts the effort in for sure, I'd put Edozie in before him...think about that breakaway chance against Utd...Edozie would have been 6 yards further ahead of the defender by the time he reached the box.

Tall Paul for the last 20-30 minutes for the long ball and crosses into the box if we need a goal.

• Like 1

Mate of mine is going tomorrow with Brentford, he started going to games when they got in the Prem because he’s a Liverpool fan?! Anyway he’s been told by the club he needs to pick up a new ticket outside the ground tomoz as they’ve had to move parts of the away end for segregation reasons. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Mate of mine is going tomorrow with Brentford, he started going to games when they got in the Prem because he’s a Liverpool fan?! Anyway he’s been told by the club he needs to pick up a new ticket outside the ground tomoz as they’ve had to move parts of the away end for segregation reasons. 

Does this mean they're reopening block 1 and shifting the away fans on that side over a bit to create the gap between supporters?

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Does this mean they're reopening block 1 and shifting the away fans on that side over a bit to create the gap between supporters?

When they closed block 1 they also closed part of block 48 so away fans are not right on the divide, but that happened after we were due to play Brentford in the original game in Sept so they'd have some fans with tickets in that bit. 

Less than 200 home end tickets left for tonight so should be a sell out, good for a 7.30 Wednesday game but most tickets were sold when this was due to be a 3pm Saturday game (was only called off day before wasn't it?) 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic