Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

I often thought Russell Osman got away with some poor performances based on name and previous reputation, although Wood didn’t have that luxury. (Although when on form Osman was the better of the two). 

We generally weren’t great defensively, some of the defending in the era would have the stats merchants in meltdown these days, but we were so exciting going forward it didn’t matter. I just remember going to games to enjoy them back then not analysing every kick, trying to sound clever by telling the guy next to me how we could counter the low block, how many Ariel duals Osman had won etc. different times 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

It wouldn’t be a transfer window without Saints seeming to go up a blind alley on a deal that doesn’t materialise. 

How many times have we heard ‘we tried … but couldn’t get it over the line in time’ ?

Pretty standard for every team I'd of thought. It's not as easy as it looks to make transfer deals happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Doesn't sound right. Players would have been sounded out first before wasting time on negotiations

One of the players may have had a better approach since the idea was first mooted. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

I often thought Russell Osman got away with some poor performances based on name and previous reputation, although Wood didn’t have that luxury. (Although when on form Osman was the better of the two). 

Agree with that. Osman was very average, but his 'hero' tag glossed over some shoddy defending.

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Aren’t the Piroe links just based on the Swansea/RM link rather than anything tangible?

I don’t know enough about the player to have an opinion really.

The rumour around the staplewood start of the window was that we’ve been in contact and were keen on Piroe as a target, not entirely sure if anything changed

Looks like Leeds rushed through a deal ? Maybe to stop us before we could get in a position to do so ?

Who knows 🤷‍♀️

8 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

The thing is none of us have a clue how much time is spent on any deal, whether any potential deal is ever happening beyond rumour mongering on Twitter and the like or what the club, the management or the players are thinking. We have no idea whatsoever about anything. It is 99.9% guesswork by everyone on here. So to say that "We'll almost certainly lose Che & Tella and we'll most probably lose KWP and Sulamana as well" is entirely guesswork and speculative on your part. Nothing more than bed wetting and scaremongering.

Scaremongering 😂

Everything points to the fact everyone is open to be sold - There is too much smoke around Tella and more specifically Che, for it to not be true. It's not guesswork, its forming an opinion based on the evidence provided which is pretty strong. 

A little more guess work around KWP and Sulamana granted, but I don't think anyone at all would be surprised if either were to leave. 

The fact that we we're in for a winger from Genk to me would suggest we're expecting at least 1 to leave. Also seemingly linked to a few RB's, which again, would suggest that 1 is off. 

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The rumour around the staplewood start of the window was that we’ve been in contact and were keen on Piroe as a target, not entirely sure if anything changed

Looks like Leeds rushed through a deal ? Maybe to stop us before we could get in a position to do so ?

Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Rushed through a deal? 1 week before the start of the end of the window and got him for a relatively decent fee.

Not sure what, if anything, about that is rushed? 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Doesn't sound right. Players would have been sounded out first before wasting time on negotiations.

Have you been living under a rock for the past 2 seasons? How often have we seen this happen.

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Who knows 🤷‍♀️

How on earth have you come to that?

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

To be fair, Osman had played alongside Pele, Michael Caine and Sylvester Stallone.

Not sure Steve Wood could say that, although I never saw that Reading team. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If that's the extent of our defensive business then it's bitterly disappointing. 

Holgate isn't the answer for me. We need a proper old fashioned CB, but who can use the ball properly. Holgate is more a sweeper type. 

• Like 1

Just now, Block41 Saint said:

Mason Holgate on loan. Move for Nathan Wood has stalled. 

From the Echo

I really don't mind this at all. Can play a few positions in CB and RB. I actually think he's better at RB than he is CB. He'd give us a lot more balance with him at RB given with Mannings inability to defend, which leaves us way to exposed with 2 attacking full backs. 

Loan is low risk - There's a player in there, hopefully we have an option to buy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

I really don't mind this at all. Can play a few positions in CB and RB. I actually think he's better at RB than he is CB. He'd give us a lot more balance with him at RB given with Mannings inability to defend, which leaves us way to exposed with 2 attacking full backs. 

Loan is low risk - There's a player in there, hopefully we have an option to buy. 

Thing is, that leaves only Lyanco as back up at CB. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I honestly don't think Swansea would do business with us unless we make them a stupendous offer. 

Exactly what I was saying a few months back when people were lauding us for holding out for pennies in the Martin deal. Cut off our nose to spite our face. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dman said:

Exactly what I was saying a few months back when people were lauding us for holding out for pennies in the Martin deal. Cut off our nose to spite our face. 

What I don't get, why didn't we pay what we should have? That is what we tell liverpool, everton et al. This Martin deal still isn't resolved, right?

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Thing is, that leaves only Lyanco as back up at CB. 

I'm hoping that Holgate is seen as a erplacement for Tino / KWP, rather than ABK. I'd like to think the links to Wood suggest we're still in for another CB as well. 

Which would leave us with; 

Stephens, Bednerak, New...  Holgate, Charles who can cover if needed for a short period of time. 

That feels like a good balance imo.  

and my prediction that we would wait until The end of the window and other clubs would either get to our targets first or selling clubs would inflate their fees knowing have money and a are desperate seems to be being fulfilled 

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, egg said:

I honestly don't think Swansea would do business with us unless we make them a stupendous offer. 

They’re a football club, not a primary school student. They will sell any player to any club if the deal was right, same as any other club.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

and my prediction that we would wait until The end of the window and other clubs would either get to our targets first or selling clubs would inflate their fees knowing have money and a are desperate seems to be being fulfilled 

yep. It's been obviously coming since the start. Oh well, at least we got an extra, eerrrr £5m, for JWP!!!!

Just now, Lighthouse said:

They’re a football club, not a primary school student. They will sell any player to any club if the deal was right, same as any other club.

They're a football club who lost their manager and coaching team to us, and were sore over the whole thing. If they want to sell a player l, and we're the only bidder in town, I'd take that point. Otherwise, for this season at least, I don't think they'll want to do business with us. Cutting off noses to spite faces happens across all sectors of business - naive to think it's a primary school thing.

I think he's a sensible signing who can cover CB and RB but I would like a bit more steel at CB as it does feel like the current batch are too soft. 

One thing I'll say is I'm a bit disappointed not to see a bit more of the money we've made reinvested in the playing squad, I can't see us suddenly going on a spending spree with 6 days left of the window. 

• Like 1

Don’t worry, certain posters will be along any second to tell us how fantastic SR are doing, despite presiding over one of the most pathetic seasons in our history and managing to fuck up yet another transfer window. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Dman said:

Rushed through a deal? 1 week before the start of the end of the window and got him for a relatively decent fee.

Not sure what, if anything, about that is rushed? 

Well the fact that they concluded it in about 2/3 days makes it a rushed deal mate, generally transfer negotiations take ages