Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Interesting to see what happens here with Fraser, and what the club have told him about his role. Seen a few people say he has come for depth, but I doubt he's dropped down a league to be a bench player.

Tella / Sulemana were always likely to be off. This seems to indicate that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ekelund said:

Fraser in, Aribo out?

26 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hopefully Pantsil is off to Everton or somewhere else - which means Genk will have the money to bring 'Tall Paul' home.  

Just as I was feeling a little low, you guys have brightened my day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

We were told Mowbray would be permanently on the road for weeks but that is certainly not reflected in the signings we've made. Maybe he has done a lot of travelling but hasn't managed to unearth any gems. It's a strange window so far for us in terms of incoming players.

According to @manjiwe are signing someone better instead of Piroe. I look forward to seeing who that might be. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

I really dislike Fraser. Awful attitude, gave up at Bournemouth because he was linked with Arsenal and Liverpool, then found the best move for him was a pre-takeover Newcastle and Howe has gone in there and kicked him straight out of the squad.

Thought Martin/Wilcox would have been a bit wiser to character’s like him. 

Not sure I’m buying this. Him and Howe clearly don’t like one another, and it was personal. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neef said:

Interesting to see what happens here with Fraser, and what the club have told him about his role. Seen a few people say he has come for depth, but I doubt he's dropped down a league to be a bench player.

Tella / Sulemana were always likely to be off. This seems to indicate that.

Let's be honest, this relegation lark is absolute dogshit isn't it. I almost wish we hadn't had all these players playing the first few games of the season. It's almost like seeing what we could have had under a competent manager. Everything is being sold and being replaced with Holgate and fecking Ryan fraser whilst some posters try to put a brave face on it. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd file both these loanee signings under solid but nothing special. I do wonder what our scouting network have done all summer of this is what gems we are unearthing. I did expect us to buy some of the best of the championship that wasn't yet in the prem rather than out of favour prem players on their way down. 

Agree. Signings so far are either RM players, City youngsters or unwanted players from clubs we've sold to (no comment on quality, think Downes in particular will be very good). Not seeing much Mowbray input thus far. Suspect his input will come into full focus when we replace Che with Shankland or Duk on deadline day ;)

27 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Would rather we tried to get Branthwaite from Everton on loan instead of Holgate. Did a good job at PSV last season and at 6,5 foot he would bring in some much needed height at the back. 

Aren't PSV looking to sign him? 

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I really dislike Fraser. Awful attitude, gave up at Bournemouth because he was linked with Arsenal and Liverpool, then found the best move for him was a pre-takeover Newcastle and Howe has gone in there and kicked him straight out of the squad.

Thought Martin/Wilcox would have been a bit wiser to character’s like him. 

You clearly have no idea of the actual situation. 

He didn't 'give up'. He was out of contract post covid break and didn't sign a new one for 8 games to see through the season. 

Huge difference in the 2. 

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Personally, I think keeping Che and then 1 of Tella or Sulamana is exciting and a bit of a coup. Selling all 3, which granted is likely, will be a big concern. 

Downes is a fantastic signing at this level, imo. 

I think Downes is a good signing. I want some attacking flair and a bit of a talismanic signing to get excited about. Neither of these does that really let's be honest. 

• Like 1

I personally think Holgate and Fraser are smart acquisitions and low risk being loans. 

The squad still needs work if we can get offers take the money and run:

Mcarthey, Lyanco, Aribo, Tall Paul, Djenepo.

If we get offers for the following and they really do not want to be here best deal we can get.

Kotchap, KWP, Sulemana, Tella, Adams. 

I would try to keep Sule or Tella 

And Adams 

If we are not splashing the cash then throw two new contracts at Tella and Adams with a few incentives. 

If we lose Adams my choice would be to and lure Ings on loan proven goal scorer.... 

We lose Kotchap I would go for Bellis

We lose sulemana or tella then go and find the next Mane somewhere 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Let's be honest, this relegation lark is absolute dogshit isn't it. I almost wish we hadn't had all these players playing the first few games of the season. It's almost like seeing what we could have had under a competent manager. Everything is being sold and being replaced with Holgate and fecking Ryan fraser whilst some posters try to put a brave face on it. 

Agreed but what's even more annoying is that some teams come down, don't sell their good players and have a good season to enjoy (Newcastle, West Ham etc.)

We've had a taste of what could happen in the first 3 games but are none the wiser as to what will happen next. 

• Like 2

In a vacuum, Fraser is smart business. Very good for this level and can play everywhere except GK and CB to a good standard.

Seems people are just worried about who is going to make way. I'm hopeful that its Aribo, who has had some offers reported, or Djenepo. Would be a shame to lose Sulemana or Tella - I think we could handle losing one, but both would make promotion a tough task.

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

Agreed but what's even more annoying is that some teams come down, don't sell their good players and have a good season to enjoy (Newcastle, West Ham etc.)

We've had a taste of what could happen in the first 3 games but are none the wiser as to what will happen next. 

If we do end up shifting ABK, Tella, Sulemana, kwp and Adams in the next week and replacing them with solid but unspectacular signings like Fraser and Holgate it's going to be a bloody depressing season. I'm sure some posters will try to convince themselves things have worked out and call Wilcox a genius but for everyone else it will be bloody depressing. I'm still crossing my fingers that we might be able to keep a couple. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, trousers said:

My brother is an Everton fan. According to him he was poor when loaned to West Brom in the championship. Reckons League One is more his level... 

To be fair, I checked their forum and they were very complementary at the time and wanting to sign him. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

According to @manjiwe are signing someone better instead of Piroe. I look forward to seeing who that might be. 

Like the sound of that.

I am struggling to think of a striker that would come here AND would be considered `better' than Piroe, although I don't doubt there are better strikers than him.

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

If we do end up shifting ABK, Tella, Sulemana, kwp and Adams in the next week and replacing them with solid but unspectacular signings like Fraser and Holgate it's going to be a bloody depressing season. I'm sure some posters will try to convince themselves things have worked out and call Wilcox a genius but for everyone else it will be bloody depressing. I'm still crossing my fingers that we might be able to keep a couple. 

And I think this is where our success of failure will lie. 

At this point, I think we simply have to keep Che and then one of Sulemana or Tella. With the obvious replacement in Piroe now gone, I don't think its feasible to replace Che with someone good enough to score 15-20 goals to take us up, this late in the window. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Of course but signing players already proven in the championship gives you a greater chance of that signing being a success. 

It’s an interesting change of strategy that’s for sure. Signing players experienced rather than going for a load of kids who have never played first team football before 

• Like 3

Every sale has been met with club-fed paragraphs about how it’ll enable us to reinvest back into the squad to get us back promoted, seeming a little off right now.

ABK, KWP, Sulemana, Tella and Adams are all still here so there isn’t a reason to lose it just yet. But as they start slowly going over the next week and the replacements make it clear to have been Mason Holgate and Ryan Fraser on loan… deary me.

54 minutes ago, James said:

Loans still cost us in fees and wages. If we go up then we have a serious rebuild and if we don't these guys go back and leave a big hole, especially if loaning Fraser is as a replacement for selling Tella. 

We don’t know that ? I suspect it will be Sulemana leaving tbh, as I genuinely don’t believe he wants to be here

Historically plenty of Championship promoters loaned players in, because you get players of the correct quality without the long term commitment

If we bought players like Fraser etc, and comitted to long contracts there will be plenty of people moaning about our lack of flexibility to buy prem quality because of Championship ’deadwood’

• Like 3

Just now, sfc4prem said:

I'm going to give Wilcox and Martin the benefit of the doubt with these signings and any others we get in. Let's see how they get on.

Far too sensible for here . I think we have to wait and see what happens next week.

Its up front that concerns me more I don’t want us stuck with just Tall Paul as an option but would like Ballard given a chance off bench too

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

(re: Holgate) My brother is an Everton fan. According to him he was poor when loaned to West Brom in the championship. Reckons League One is more his level... 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair, I checked their forum and they were very complementary at the time and wanting to sign him. 

Yeah, he does seem to attract a range of mixed reviews. The common theme from his detractors is that he is very error prone and gives away lots of free kicks....

10 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I personally think Holgate and Fraser are smart acquisitions and low risk being loans. 

The squad still needs work if we can get offers take the money and run:

Mcarthey, Lyanco, Aribo, Tall Paul, Djenepo.

If we get offers for the following and they really do not want to be here best deal we can get.

Kotchap, KWP, Sulemana, Tella, Adams. 

I would try to keep Sule or Tella 

And Adams 

If we are not splashing the cash then throw two new contracts at Tella and Adams with a few incentives. 

If we lose Adams my choice would be to and lure Ings on loan proven goal scorer.... 

We lose Kotchap I would go for Bellis

We lose sulemana or tella then go and find the next Mane somewhere 🤣🤣🤣🤣

There is a new three year contract on the table for Adams and vice captaincy too

• Like 2

I think people need to take stock of a few things.

1. we are in the championship now not premier league

2. We will lose our better players as they are good enough for the premier league

3. you can’t expect to lose our better players and replace with on par or better quality because we are now in the championship. 

We know the loan market is important for clubs in championship. I don’t see the issue with us using it. These are players who can do a job in this league, if we go up we aren’t stuck with players not good enough for the league. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought Holgate did pretty well at WBA, but playing almost entirely at RB. That was way back in 2018/19 though, so not sure its the best scouting report to use.

Just now, Chez said:

I thought Holgate did pretty well at WBA, but playing almost entirely at RB. That was way back in 2018/19 though, so not sure its the best scouting report to use.

I was surprised to find on their forum that it was almost universal praise. I think he missed a penalty for them in the playoffs which was their only negative really. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

I've said a few times now - almost certain the thought process behind Holgate is to play him RB

I agree, and he could also act as cover at centre half, even if he would be 4th in the pecking order. Jack Stephens has already had 3 bookings, the squad needs to have adequate cover. 

• Like 3

Rob Dorsett (Sky) saying we’re back in again for Nathan Wood, looking to restructure the payments so they get more upfront and the add-ons are rescaled to be more achievable more quickly.

He also adds that Wood has told Swansea he wants to leave. 

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

I've said a few times now - almost certain the thought process behind Holgate is to play him RB

He'll offer versatility that's for sure. Bree just isn't suited to RM's way - he looked like a fish up a tree when he stepped into midfield in pre season. Holgate coming in will see Bree gone I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

He'll offer versatility that's for sure. Bree just isn't suited to RM's way - he looked like a fish up a tree when he stepped into midfield in pre season. Holgate coming in will see Bree gone I'd imagine. 

I feel for Bree - you're completely right and he needs to move on, but I do feel sorry for him. 

He probably didn't expect, much like anyone, that Luton would go up. He probably took a gamble that coming to us might be his only chance to play PL football. 

Hopefully he picks up a decent move 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

There is a new three year contract on the table for Adams and vice captaincy too

It’s not new it’s been hanging around a while. Che is playing the game here - which is his prerogative - gets a move back to the prem, sees out his contract and walks on a free or signs said contract. If he doesn’t get the move then I think he’ll take option 2 I’d be very surprised if he takes option 3 but hey what do I know.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

I feel for Bree - you're completely right and he needs to move on, but I do feel sorry for him. 

He probably didn't expect, much like anyone, that Luton would go up. He probably took a gamble that coming to us might be his only chance to play PL football. 

Hopefully he picks up a decent move 

Agreed. Really poor move for the lad. He followed Jones but saw him leave, expected to play but didn't , hoped to stay up but went down being passed by Luton on the way.  You couldn't make up how it's panned out for him. As you say, hopefully he picks up a decent move. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I think people need to take stock of a few things.

1. we are in the championship now not premier league

2. We will lose our better players as they are good enough for the premier league

3. you can’t expect to lose our better players and replace with on par or better quality because we are now in the championship. 

We know the loan market is important for clubs in championship. I don’t see the issue with us using it. These are players who can do a job in this league, if we go up we aren’t stuck with players not good enough for the league. 

It's also worth remembering Leicester were the big spenders who 'won' the transfer window in 2011. They finished sixth.

• Haha 1

Makes the Holgate deal look even more sensible if Wood is still coming. We need four competent centre backs, Stephens is currently on course to be suspended for the Leicester game. 

Edited by Appy

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Is Holgate better than Bednarek at the back? Any reason he can't get into the Everton squad despite their defence being appaling? 

Everton have about thirty CB’s don’t they? Feels that way the last few years, all of which have been as successful as the last. 😂

Bit of a utility signing Mason Holgate, I wouldn’t ever say I’ve seen him play shit, just feels like another squad player.

Can’t say I was particularly wowed by the Swansea CB, as I said before, he conceded a fair few in this league last season, it would be nice to have some commanding and stocky figures at the back that can keep the odd clean sheet, and then make the step eventually into the Premier League.