Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Amen. The doom and gloom is pretty sad to be honest.

I just scrolled through 4 or 5 pages at lunch laughing at this thread. Some of the posts are just hilarious.

There's a weird thing on here which would never happen face to face where people jump on stuff others said and repeatedly use it to try and make them look silly. Looks to me that's what happened is one player has joined another club who most likely offered him more money.

The window is open for ages still. So much will happen in the next week.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

except it is reported we were in 'advanced talks' with him

Reported by whom? 

I think there’s lots of misinformation out there. For clicks. To use as stalking horses. 

I could write a report and put it online that says we were in for Mbappe. I could even say talks were “advanced” - doesn’t make it true. 

don’t get me wrong. I’m underwhelmed so far. But the reaction and histrionics on here is just way OTT and importantly, way too premature. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Firstly Fraser hasn't shown much sign of being a good player for the last 4 years. His last decent season was 18-19.

If he's a supplement to our current first xi that's 1 thing but if(and it currently is an if) he's a replacement for a first teamer then there's nothing to be positive about

seems to have a lot of hamstring issues too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Exactly my point. We have complete control of the Tella situation & can revisit next summer even if he doesn't renew contract. This logic that we simply have to sell is nonsense. 

This is it .. it’s like we are selling purely for the sake of it and letting players dictate if they want to be here or not .. 

we don’t need the money, and the money we do get from sales we won’t be able to use to attract players as goid as we sell as we are in the championship!

makes much more sense to just close the door and keep the likes of tella sulemana adams Alcaraz etc we are only hurting our own team by selling and will not end up stronger 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The amount of guessing and assumptions on here (all pessimistic of course) is hilarious.

Maybe Fraser is coming in to replace Djenepo or is just added depth to those wingers we've lost already.

Maybe Holgate is replacing Lyanco

We will all know better come 1 September so lets just wait it out

Holgate is replacing Lyanco, isnt he? Wood replacing ABK.

Is Djenepo off?  I'd of thought he'd be keen to play some football, but its been very quiet about him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Exactly my point. We have complete control of the Tella situation & can revisit next summer even if he doesn't renew contract. This logic that we simply have to sell is nonsense. 

yes, I know the argument for keeping him, but, assuming he goes, why are we selling him then? You say there is no reason, but we are, so what is the reason?

1 minute ago, Chez said:

yes, I know the argument for keeping him, but, assuming he goes, why are we selling him then? You say there is no reason, but we are, so what is the reason?

because, despite the hype on here, we do have financial reasons to sell, and we are not some sort of mega-rich championship club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

Bit worrying Paintsil didn't want to come here but is happy to join the shit show at Elland Road...

I'm pretty sure he'd have had a word about us with Tall Paul - I can't imagine TP would have given him a glowing review of his time here.

• Like 2

At the moment Saints have roo many forwards

11 for 2 - 4 places

Armstrong, Adams,Tella, Amo Ameyaw, Sullemana, Mara, Ballard, Onuachu, Edozie, Frazer, Djenepo

Not a chance the club would buy another forward until a fair number of those were shifted. The simple answer to why Saints didn't buy Pirou is that they couldn't with so many forwards already on the books.

I know fans tend to write off players but the club have to pay wages and play them.

In contrast in midfield 7 for 3-4 spots and 3 of those are youngsters

Smallbone, Alcaraz, S Armstrong, Downes, Charles, Dibbling, Doyle

Granted some forwards can double up and play there, but still very thin in that department.

Obviously some will move before the 2nd. Too late I suspect to do anything about it.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

What this does allow us to do, is have a good stab at promotion and then look to add more quality when we have a wider network of quality to buy from. 

This is what folks are missing. As a Championship club there's a very definite ceiling to who we can attract. If we can loan in the talent we need for promotion then that leaves us with a bigger transfer coffer for Premiership-level signings.

Loan in the experience + purchase younger players who can grow and develop as the club theoretically advances upwards.

Lots of ifs and buts there, but I should imagine that's the strategy.

Russell Martin (paraphrased): "We recently turned down a second bid for Che and there isn't currently a bid on the table (that matches our valuation), so he's still available to play tomorrow as things stand but that could change in the next 24 hours." 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

At the moment Saints have roo many forwards

11 for 2 - 4 places

Armstrong, Adams,Tella, Amo Ameyaw, Sullemana, Mara, Ballard, Onuachu, Edozie, Frazer, Djenepo

Not a chance the club would buy another forward until a fair number of those were shifted. The simple answer to why Saints didn't buy Pirou is that they couldn't with so many forwards already on the books.

I know fans tend to write off players but the club have to pay wages and play them.

In contrast in midfield 7 for 3-4 spots and 3 of those are youngsters

Smallbone, Alcaraz, S Armstrong, Downes, Charles, Dibbling, Doyle

Granted some forwards can double up and play there, but still very thin in that department.

Obviously some will move before the 2nd. Too late I suspect to do anything about it.

yet we loan in Ryan Fraser to add to our list of squad wingers 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Russell Martin (paraphrased): "We recently turned down a second bid for Che and there isn't currently another bid on the table. He's still available to play tomorrow as things stand but that could change in the next 24 hours." 

So if he’s not trained today then suggests it probably will. Tomorrows team will be interesting 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What a depressing press conference. Not much to inspire confidence in that at all. 

What was wrong with it? Didn’t listen just saw comments from Alfie House and didn’t seem that bad.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Streaky said:

IF its Fraser in for Tella then we aren't going up with that level of stupidity and Holgate is a donkey. Very physical but technically woeful, especially playing in Martins system.

Fraser is a better player than Tella - just my opinion.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, maysie said:

What was wrong with it? Didn’t listen just saw comments from Alfie House and didn’t seem that bad.

It's worth listening to the tone of it more than anything. Martin seemed downbeat and virtually confirmed that Adams is off. Said essentially he was fed up with the club prior to Martin coming in so maybe not much he can do. Alluded to others leaving too and suggested that the ones coming in woukd be replacements for those leaving (so to my mind that's Tella or Sulemana being replaced by fraser.) Holgate coming in at CB too which I'm not sure anyone wants, I'm hoping he's primarily a rb when kwp leaves. 

• Sad 1

Russ Martin speaks well. Very open and honest. I felt like he was going to relay a funny story about Flynn Downes at one point but he got interrupted. Interesting to hear him say he wasn’t happy with the Plymouth performance, made that clear to the group and expects a better performance against QPR. Could do with the Che situation being resolved one way or the other.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's worth listening to the tone of it more than anything. Martin seemed downbeat and virtually confirmed that Adams is off. Said essentially he was fed up with the club prior to Martin coming in so maybe not much he can do. Alluded to others leaving too and suggested that the ones coming in woukd be replacements for those leaving (so to my mind that's Tella or Sulemana being replaced by fraser.) Holgate coming in at CB too which I'm not sure anyone wants, I'm hoping he's primarily a rb when kwp leaves. 

Wish I could

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Feels like people have forgotten what league we're in again. Fraser is a quality signing at this level

he's scored 3 league goals since 2019 and not played much in the last 2 years... can't believe fans aren't really excited 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

because, despite the hype on here, we do have financial reasons to sell, and we are not some sort of mega-rich championship club.

Such a vague meaningless word ' financial reasons to sell' can cover a multitude of sins

Previous relegated teams haven't tended to clear out everyone decent, so i'm bemused by the logic that we have to but Leicester/Leeds don't

Leicester business is +57M, Leeds is +9M, ours is +140M. If we still have to gut our xi for financial reasons and they don't we must have been near bankrupcy

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, James said:

If the situation pans out as follows:

- Tella departs, Fraser comes in on loan and Sulemana stays put until January.

- Che departs and we sign Shankland from Hearts or Duk from Aberdeen.

- KWP departs, Holgate arrives on loan and we end up signing Wood from Swansea to replace one of ABK or Lyanco.

- The young lad from Gronigens signs.

Will people be satisfied with the business that we've done?

I wouldn't be because I don't see how that makes us stronger as alluded to by Russell Martin. I know we are championship now but it seems we are hell bent on selling every player that would help us get back to the Premier league.

Obviously we have to reserve judgement till the window shuts but it doesn't look good right now.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What a depressing press conference. Not much to inspire confidence in that at all. 

You’re right, he should’ve lied and told you everyone was staying whilst cracking jokes and laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Streaky said:

I wouldn't be because I don't see how that makes us stronger as alluded to by Russell Martin. I know we are championship now but it seems we are hell bent on selling every player that would help us get back to the Premier league.

Obviously we have to reserve judgement till the window shuts but it doesn't look good right now.

Who have we sold as things stand that wasn’t either someone we didn’t want, someone who was OoC or someone who was never ever going to stay? How are we hell bent on selling every player who could help us get back up? Just interested. 

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure that’s quite a fair representation of what he said…

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Reported by whom? 

I think there’s lots of misinformation out there. For clicks. To use as stalking horses. 

I could write a report and put it online that says we were in for Mbappe. I could even say talks were “advanced” - doesn’t make it true. 

don’t get me wrong. I’m underwhelmed so far. But the reaction and histrionics on here is just way OTT and importantly, way too premature. 

43 minutes ago, Midlandsaint said:

I’d rather listen to our manager than the footy insider and Alex Crook

It came from Tom Coleman (The Swansea equivalent of Blackmore) so fairy reputable

Although he did mention advanced discussions had taken place with Paul Wilcox, so that undermines his article some what

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Such a vague meaningless word ' financial reasons to sell' can cover a multitude of sins

Previous relegated teams haven't tended to clear out everyone decent, so i'm bemused by the logic that we have to but Leicester/Leeds don't

Leicester business is +57M, Leeds is +9M, ours is +140M. If we still have to gut our xi for financial reasons and they don't we must have been near bankrupcy

Really?

This summer Leicester have sold Maddison, Amartey, Evans, Mendy, Perez, Soyuncu, Tielemans and Barnes, all who have been senior members of their first team.  Leeds aren’t any better off themselves having also seen a summer exodus of senior players.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Really?

This summer Leicester have sold Maddison, Amartey, Evans, Mendy, Perez, Soyuncu, Tielemans and Barnes, all who have been senior members of their first team.  Leeds aren’t any better off themselves having also seen a summer exodus of senior players.

Meanwhile, at Leeds...

Sold: Tyler Adams, Rodrigo, Tyler Roberts

Loaned out: Robin Koch, Max Wober, Jack Harrison, Brenden Aaronson, Marc Roca, Rasmus Kristensen

Released/returned: Adam Forshaw, Weston McKennie, Joel Robles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Really?

They have only sold 3 players, 1 of them a complete reserve to ipswich. As i stated they've generated a lot less in transfer fees. 

1 hour ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Jesus. there’s lots of things being asserted as fact here. Chill out man.

how do you actually know we were in for Piroe? All the interviews with RM and Wilcox I’ve seen and they’ve played a straight bat to the rumours. Plus RM (who managed him - said he’s more like Armstrong. Doesn’t sound like a l4l replacement of che to me!)

do you actually KNOW che isn’t staying? NO. You just fear it. 

do you KNOW we don’t have anyone better lined up. NO. 

chill out man. Get outside. Try not to focus on all the negative noise and anxiety in your head. You’ll be happier. 

if at the end of the window any of these things come to pass we can deal with it then. But like most worries and worst fears - they probably won’t 

Bookmarked for a weeks time 👍

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

You seem to make us believe you are ITK about everything but in reality you are just vessel that slags everything to with SFC relentlessly irrespective of situation. 

My suggestion to you is that you fuck off to another team, anywhere will do because they are all better run than ours isnt that right?

Where is Bertrand now?

Welcome back, Always. What's this, your 3rd account now? 

Remember the last time you were whinging about mistaken identity 😂

Edited by Dman

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

According to @manjiwe are signing someone better instead of Piroe. I look forward to seeing who that might be. 

Is Manji in the circle of trust, if not I'd take that with a pinch of salt, as they were spot on about Frazer coming here