Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, fair point. One assumes those advocating that we replace Che (if he leaves) with Piroe are doing so because they believe that Piroe is at least as good as Che.... ergo.... if he's at least as good as Che, and we've received at least 2 bids from Premier League clubs for Che, logic would say that Swansea should have received similar bids from Premier League clubs for Piroe. (Maybe they have, and we don't know about it, but then why would he move to another Championship club if that was the case?).

Therefore, one can only logically conclude that if Premier League clubs are bidding for Che, and Piroe is moving to another championship club, then Piroe isn't as good as Che and therefore wouldn't have been a same level replacement if Che was to leave...

Personally, I'd rather we kept Che. He's proven he can score goals at this level and has saved us in pretty much all 3 games this season. 

Unfortunately, keeping him looks unlikely, so we need to look at next best options. One of those being the man who score a fair few under our new manager in the same league, just last season. 

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys dirtyurchin is right you need to chill and be floating on a blow up unicorn like me with a beer in hand to deal with the transfer window.

PXL_20230825_152749549.jpg

instead of lounging, looks like you should be cleaning around the edge of the pool! 😉☺️

• Haha 2

Just seen the presser and thought RM came across well. Despite all of the uncertainty about comings and goings he seems pragmatic about it all and just gets in with the job. Interestingly he said that we have been after both Holgate and Fraser for some time (I assume these were some of the ones lined up waiting to come in) but it has taken a while to get both over the line. He made the point that both are aggressive and vocal, qualities were have been short of, and despite many of the negative comments on this thread, he seems confident that they are both strong additions to the squad.

Not sure why so many are getting their panties in a bunch over Piroe. I am sure many of us have never seen him kick a football and as has been said, if he was so super excited about coming here, why would he then change his mind because of the Leeds admin. dept? I have no doubt that enquiries were made, you would expect any club worth its salt to check out availability of possible signings, but there is a massive difference between talks, which are probably going on all the time with multiple players, clubs and agents, and making a firm offer. Again, as pointed out elsewhere, if we were desperate for him, his agent would have known and we would have put our money down. Several others clubs were also in the picture but didn’t bother to follow through with an offer either. Seems odd if he is that brilliant as £12m seems a steal for the only player outside our club likely to score enough goals to take us back up if Adams goes 🤔

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Personally, I'd rather we kept Che. He's proven he can score goals at this level and has saved us in pretty much all 3 games this season. 

Unfortunately, keeping him looks unlikely, so we need to look at next best options. One of those being the man who score a fair few under our new manager in the same league, just last season. 

Wouldn't it be better to sign someone who is at least as good as Che though....? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Clearly not the only replacement in the world, you're making it up that anyone has said that. 

He was absolutely the most obvious and arguably least risky move we could have made. Also, according to @Pilchards, whom imo is a genuine ITK, was our number 1 target to replace Che. 

The evidence suggests we we're in for and interested in him (much like it was that we're open to sell Che), but if you don't want to believe that, you do you. 

Ive said too that he was our no1 target, I can’t be arsed but I said it both here and on twitter early window.. not sure if that situation reduced but we were clearly very interested up until he signed for Leeds

My point still stands.. we signed both Manning and Charles, in the knowledge that if we waited for their positional counterparts to leave (Lavia and Perraud (I had it on good authority early doors Perraud was pushing to move)) we wouldn’t get them… so why is that position different for Piroe ?

Id imagine we either think Che might stay, or we’re comfortable replacing from elsewhere.. whether or not that is a gamble we won’t know yet

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I just want us to put our foot down now . We look like one of the best teams in the league, and we still have players like downes and sulemana to add to that ..

unfortunately we are such a soft as shit youth training scheme pussy hole club all we care about is keeping the spoiled little mercenaries that don’t want to be here happy.. we are completely letting the players and their agents dictate so you can bet your ass we will probably lose the likes of sulemana adams tella ABK in the next week ..

all we have to do is tell them we are going up and your part of our plans and your staying .. but we are incapable of doing this it seems

Well, who knew it was that simple? I hope the club are listening to this free expertise

• Haha 2

I can sense that Everton may have allowed us Mason Holgate in return for some quid pro quo with Che- or indeed a n other of our attackers.

The timing of this apparently long wanted loan deal in context of their ££ issues and the Che offer turned down is interesting. 

This may be just the first part of our dealing with them. 

Given main man 6ft 2” Calvert Lewin is injured / always getting injured might it not be beyond the realm of possibility that they might want to take Onuacho on loan from us if they are desperate last thing deadline day? Given they also wanted  Gnonto the same could be said for Sulemana who might be regarded as similar - let alone their obvious interest in Che. 

I think there’s a fair chance we will be dealing with Everton again before the window shuts. 

8 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive said too that he was our no1 target, I can’t be arsed but I said it both here and on twitter early window.. not sure if that situation reduced but we were clearly very interested up until he signed for Leeds

My point still stands.. we signed both Manning and Charles, in the knowledge that if we waited for their positional counterparts to leave (Lavia and Perraud (I had it on good authority early doors Perraud was pushing to move)) we wouldn’t get them… so why is that position different for Piroe ?

Id imagine we either think Che might stay, or we’re comfortable replacing from elsewhere.. whether or not that is a gamble we won’t know yet

Lets hope its the former at this point. 

Just seen Bournemouth are in for Daka - would potentially rule them out of the race for Adams? Unless Solanke goes. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Exactly what the last account said aswell 

He’s been following me about for months and strangely has never asked who always or chapel end are, which would be the first thing I’d ask if I was being accused of being someone I’d never heard of

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ballard starting for U21’s tonight. Given that he made the bench after starting last Friday, I know we can’t read into it too much, but would he be starting if Che was off imminently? He’d be jumping a place in the pecking order if Che wasn’t available tomorrow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s been following me about for months and strangely has never asked who always or chapel end are, which would be the first thing I’d ask if I was being accused of being someone I’d never heard of

He also likes almost every single post soggy does that insults people. Rather suspicious to say the least. 

59 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys dirtyurchin is right you need to chill and be floating on a blow up unicorn like me with a beer in hand to deal with the transfer window.

PXL_20230825_152749549.jpg

Either a fucking big pool or a public boating lake, I hope that given your recent application to the CoT that it’s the latter 🦄🍺 ️ 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Unsurprising, especially with Fraser coming in. Disappointing but we’re of for numbers there, tghe others have got to step and get the goals and assists that Tella would have.

I actually think Edozie has more potential than Tella. He just doesn't have the end product that Nathan has shown over the last year or so. Let's hope he can start finding some. 

Definitely a bit of a tenuous confirmation but if we really have replaced £20m+ Tella with Ryan Fraser on loan then it’ll be time to ask a few questions.

Alfie House asked about Tella today but it’s embargoed for 10:30pm, so we’ll either find out then or around 2pm tomorrow I guess.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Either a fucking big pool or a public boating lake, I hope that given your recent application to the CoT that it’s the latter 🦄🍺 ️ 

Thought you'd recognise I'm at the CoT private club by it's huge pool.

Seen Turkish walking about in his white y fronts and massive cigar yelling into his phone "he needs details now on Che Adams move" so hopefully we'll get news soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Definitely a bit of a tenuous confirmation but if we really have replaced £20m+ Tella with Ryan Fraser on loan then it’ll be time to ask a few questions.

Alfie House asked about Tella today but it’s embargoed for 10:30pm, so we’ll either find out then or around 2pm tomorrow I guess.

That'll take the total sales past £160m (not including sell ons so it'll be a bit less in reality).

Only £12m spent. I know there's an element of balancing the books, which you would expect, but that is very concerning if Fraser is indeed the Tella replacement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It’s embargoed? Is that a regular thing?

Imagine tomorrows line up being announced with no Tella and no Adams.

That would be a hell of a come down.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would literally have removed all open play goals from the team (unless I'm misremembering one - not counting the Bednarek rebound as that was a corner).

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

They always have it in press conferences so the papers can get some stories for the next day.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Seen Turkish walking about in his white y fronts and massive cigar yelling into his phone "he needs details now on Che Adams move" so hopefully we'll get news soon.

You’re doing the right thing by staying inconspicuous during selection. Ask Turkish to tell Gerhard to squeegee the edge of the pool as it’s unsightly. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If we find out tomorrow that we've lost Adams and Tella, I think it is reasonable to start publically questioning what Sports Republic are doing. 

Wait until the window closes but if the Che replacement is in the same vein as Ryan Fraser on loan then questions should start to be asked. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I actually think Edozie has more potential than Tella. He just doesn't have the end product that Nathan has shown over the last year or so. Let's hope he can start finding some. 

And certainly Amo-Ameyew. Edozie is nearly 4 years younger, and SAA 7(!) years younger.

So if we sell Tella (which if Leverkusen are in for they are a much more attractive proposition for him), we will have Edozie, Sulemana, SAA, Fraser, maybe Adam Armstrong to play in those wide positions. Honestly, I'd take that. 

I think we just need to wait and see, there is a clear deadline from when we can judge the squad we have for the rest of the season. 

I realise that being reactionary and premature when judging the team probably mirrors your life, but just calm it down everyone. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If we find out tomorrow that we've lost Adams and Tella, I think it is reasonable to start publically questioning what Sports Republic are doing. 

100%.

I get that we want to trust in Wilcox but if we head into tomorrow without either of them, and the only resemblance of a replacement is Ryan Fraser who hasn't kicked a ball since October 2022 and hasn't got a goal or assist since March 2022, then I'd struggle to remain too content.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

And certainly Amo-Ameyew. Edozie is nearly 4 years younger, and SAA 7(!) years younger.

So if we sell Tella (which if Leverkusen are in for they are a much more attractive proposition for him), we will have Edozie, Sulemana, SAA, Fraser, maybe Adam Armstrong to play in those wide positions. Honestly, I'd take that. 

I think we just need to wait and see, there is a clear deadline from when we can judge the squad we have for the rest of the season. 

I realise that being reactionary and premature when judging the team probably mirrors your life, but just calm it down everyone. 

We know Tella scores goals at this level but jury out still on Sulemana. His ceiling alot higher than Tella imo but he's yet to prove he can consistently score goals so it's a big risk from saints assuming Sulemana stays 

8 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Agree - think Edozie gets more than his fair share of stick from fans tbh. His actual minutes played must be pretty low, Tella was still in the youth set up at his age. Edozie has a lot of skill, finishing and crossing obviously needs work but he beats players with absolute ease, not a lot of wingers can do that - even Tella struggled to do that when he switched to Edozie’s side when he went off. Hopefully with experience and game time this year his end product improves, he’s one of the few players in the squad that I find genuinely exciting to watch. 

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If Adams and Tella are not available tomorrow and we lose this forum will be a very interesting place.

Jeez, catching up on this thread today I expected to see St Mary's burnt to the ground and everyone sold - doesn't seem to be the case though.

One thing we got wrong last year was a lack of experience, just loads of kids who hadn't played senior football. At our level the only way we are going to sign players with top level experience is to take a punt on someone who has fallen down the pecking order as a PL club - let's not forget, we're no longer a PL club.

Fraser seemed to fall away when he got a bit carried away by all the noise, he was linked with quite a few decent clubs at one point. He was a nightmare to play against from what I remember - and that was in the PL. Holgate is another guy with genuine top level experience, I find it hard to judge anyone at Everton over the last few years as I'm sure even Messi would have looked shit there - so it's not a fair environment to judge a player, comes here with a clean slate in my eyes and someone who performed well at WBA and England U21's as a younger player - and I see that there is noise that Woods is happening, getting both is the best of both worlds really - some experience, and then a highly rated younger player.

So, I'm not seeing where the negativity is coming from. If what people are panicking about happens, then fair enough, but what's the point in fretting about it and dreaming up scenarios that might not even happen. The only genuine news I can see are all about incomings.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Jeez, catching up on this thread today I expected to see St Mary's burnt to the ground and everyone sold - doesn't seem to be the case though.

One thing we got wrong last year was a lack of experience, just loads of kids who hadn't played senior football. At our level the only way we are going to sign players with top level experience is to take a punt on someone who has fallen down the pecking order as a PL club - let's not forget, we're no longer a PL club.

Fraser seemed to fall away when he got a bit carried away by all the noise, he was linked with quite a few decent clubs at one point. He was a nightmare to play against from what I remember - and that was in the PL. Holgate is another guy with genuine top level experience, I find it hard to judge anyone at Everton over the last few years as I'm sure even Messi would have looked shit there - so it's not a fair environment to judge a player, comes here with a clean slate in my eyes and someone who performed well at WBA and England U21's as a younger player - and I see that there is noise that Woods is happening, getting both is the best of both worlds really - some experience, and then a highly rated younger player.

So, I'm not seeing where the negativity is coming from. If what people are panicking about happens, then fair enough, but what's the point in fretting about it and dreaming up scenarios that might not even happen.

Because that was in 2018. He has 3 goals in 4 years.

24 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

The waiters here can't mix a Manhattan to save their fucking lives. Hopeless.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Because that was in 2018. He has 3 goals in 4 years.

As I said, he fell away after he started to get noise in his final year at Bournemouth. Lost some crucial years because of how he was affected by that noise in my eyes.

He needs to get his head back down and start playing again, because if we can get the pre-2019/2018 Fraser then we're laughing.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Why sell Tella at any price? He can be an important player in this league, smashed it last season and still has 2 years left. We have made enough from realising asset value of other players. Che with a year left I can understand the pressure to get him to sign or sell him.

Tella was dropped by Arsenal and we gave him a pathway to the PL and he didn’t really take it. We give him a loan to develop and he took it personally, crying when we told him and now seemingly happy to fuck us off at the first opportunity. You might say the fee is above his current market value but I still think it is mad to sell him right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

As I said, he fell away after he started to get noise in his final year at Bournemouth. Lost some crucial years because of how he was affected by that noise in my eyes.

He needs to get his head back down and start playing again, because if we can get the pre-2019/2018 Fraser then we're laughing.

Fully respect the confidence and belief. I'll back him in the stadium until he proves me otherwise but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel like a really underwhelming move on the face of things.