Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I am guessing its one it and one out in terms of striker for us - and with both the Ounachu and Adams moves seeming to fall part we couldn't close the deal for Piroe whereas Leeds could.

If that's the case Sports Republic should have taken the temporary financial hit and signed Piroe and then done their best ship out Ounachu and Mara.  I have the horrible feeling we are going to be stuck with them  this season - and neither one judged good enough to play.

Looks like Holgate is being brought in to replace KWP at right back and provide some cover at CB - with Bree being the cover at right back and another one we are stuck with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I went through that absolute myth earlier in the thread, there’s never been a relegated team, to my knowledge that wasn’t decimated with transfers and to this moment nobody has rebuffed that

Im not sure where the narrative of ‘we’re the only team to firesale’ actually comes from

Frankly this whole thread is pathetic, some of these posts are spectacular.. Im not sure if I should be more embarrassed by them trolling on a messageboard OR the possibility that they’re being serious

I think anyone with a degree of sensibility knew we'd shift a load of players. If anything, we've not shifted enough.

For me, the biggest issue is we're a week away from the end of the window, transfer targets are moving on and we're very likley to lose 2 probably 3 or 4 of our best players with little to no time to replace. 

Selling isn't the problem, the fact is we've given ourselves little to no time to replace them. 

As I said earlier, had Piroe came in last night, the noise around Adams wouldn't be half as bad. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Take all this with a pinch of salt, but Wales Online report that Saints were in for Piroe and Leeds did a better job. Also state that Piroe preferred a move to Saints

Wales Online state that Piroe was actually quite keen on a move to Southampton after talks with the Saints, excited to reunite with Russell Martin. But, Leeds did not give up and worked hard to get him.

“The level of effort Leeds made to sign him proved to be a key factor in persuading him to move to west Yorkshire, working round the clock with Piroe’s camp this week to thrash out nitty, gritty bits of the deal.”

I really hope that is untrue. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I actually can see some upside in getting in a new player to replace Adams. My main issue is doing it at this stage of the window where imo it's too much of a risk. 

Im 50/50 on it, Ive said all along Im not convinced Piroe is an upgrade on Che and Im glad someone posted up about RMs comments saying he was similar to AA as thats how I saw it

That said, Id be dissapointed if we lost Adams and didn’t replace properly

Overall though Im relatively comfortable, we’ve replaced well, for this level, so far in Downes, Manning and Charles and realistically Fraser and Holgate are very good options, again for this level

We’ll of course have to get the Adams replacement correct IF he goes

Tella.. Ive been the same all along, if we get 20m+ for him Id be interested in selling as I think he is replaceable personally 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richardc said:

yet we loan in Ryan Fraser to add to our list of squad wingers 

I know I really cannot see why they've done that.

Two possible reasons I suspect. Part of the Tino deal so Newcastle can get rid, or both Tella and Sulemana are close to being sold.

Thinking about it the former would suit Newcastle.

42 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

A group of middle aged men, lurking in the shadows of this forum sending shady direct messages, whilst playing who's dicks bigger in the public domain.

Sounds more like a peadophile ring than a circle and about as amusing as one too

Harsh maybe, but true

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Im 50/50 on it, Ive said all along Im not convinced Piroe is an upgrade on Che and Im glad someone posted up about RMs comments saying he was similar to AA as thats how I saw it

That said, Id be dissapointed if we lost Adams and didn’t replace properly

Overall though Im relatively comfortable, we’ve replaced well, for this level, so far in Downes, Manning and Charles and realistically Fraser and Holgate are very good options, again for this level

We’ll of course have to get the Adams replacement correct IF he goes

Tella.. Ive been the same all along, if we get 20m+ for him Id be interested in selling as I think he is replaceable personally 

He might be the same as AA in terms of style, but he has a physical presence that AA doesn't have. 

He's proven to score goals in Martins system as a lone striker, AA isn't. We tried AA through the middle all pre-season and looked toothless. We tired him in 2 of our 3 opening games and looked toothless. 

Agree with the rest of the statement though - I don't really rate Manning, but so, so. 

Lets hope we have someone decent lined up to replace Adams - I wont hold my breath though. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Take all this with a pinch of salt, but Wales Online report that Saints were in for Piroe and Leeds did a better job. Also state that Piroe preferred a move to Saints

Wales Online state that Piroe was actually quite keen on a move to Southampton after talks with the Saints, excited to reunite with Russell Martin. But, Leeds did not give up and worked hard to get him.

“The level of effort Leeds made to sign him proved to be a key factor in persuading him to move to west Yorkshire, working round the clock with Piroe’s camp this week to thrash out nitty, gritty bits of the deal.”

If he was "keen" and "excited" to join Saints, why would Leeds being better at a bit of admin trump his over-riding desire...?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think anyone with a degree of sensibility knew we'd shift a load of players. If anything, we've not shifted enough.

For me, the biggest issue is we're a week away from the end of the window, transfer targets are moving on and we're very likley to lose 2 probably 3 or 4 of our best players with little to no time to replace. 

Selling isn't the problem, the fact is we've given ourselves little to no time to replace them. 

As I said earlier, had Piroe came in last night, the noise around Adams wouldn't be half as bad. 

This narrative comes around every window and is the same on most message boards, so far we seem to have secured all of our top targets in Charles, Manning, Downes.. looks like Wood too

Potentially we’ll have lost out on Piroe, but its one I can’t work out really, surely if we really wanted him we’d of softened our resolve on Adams as we were probably in the box seat

Ultimately most transfers, or significant transfers happen early or late, mid window tends to be a lot of noise, so Id rather keep my underwear dry until I know and can assess the facts

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

with Bree being the cover at right back and another one we are stuck with.

Wasn't Bree in the 'Championship Team of the Year' last season, or have I mis-remembered that? If so, one would venture he's a pretty decent squad member to have in the ranks at this level?

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This narrative comes around every window and is the same on most message boards, so far we seem to have secured all of our top targets in Charles, Manning, Downes.. looks like Wood too

Potentially we’ll have lost out on Piroe, but its one I can’t work out really, surely if we really wanted him we’d of softened our resolve on Adams as we were probably in the box seat

Ultimately most transfers, or significant transfers happen early or late, mid window tends to be a lot of noise, so Id rather keep my underwear dry until I know and can assess the facts

Have we not already softened our resolve for Adams though? If reports are to believe, which I do, we accepted £15m for him. The only reason he's not an Everton player now is because they have no actual cash to pay us. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

He might be the same as AA in terms of style, but he has a physical presence that AA doesn't have. 

He's proven to score goals in Martins system as a lone striker, AA isn't. We tried AA through the middle all pre-season and looked toothless. We tired him in 2 of our 3 opening games and looked toothless. 

Agree with the rest of the statement though - I don't really rate Manning, but so, so. 

Lets hope we have someone decent lined up to replace Adams - I wont hold my breath though. 

We play slightly differently to Swansea, and I think it’s obvious that a physical type is more advantageous to us

Im not saying im not dissapointed about losing out on Piroe IF Che leaves, Im just not losing any sleep until those particular dominos fall into place

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

If he was "keen" and "excited" to join Saints, why would Leeds being better at a bit of admin trump his over-riding desire...?

There's certainly question marks over the validity of that report, but its completely possible that he's simply fed up of waiting. We've been fanning around in no mans land because we don't know what will happen with Che and they have put the money down and made it work. 

Just now, Dman said:

Have we not already softened our resolve for Adams though? If reports are to believe, which I do, we accepted £15m for him. The only reason he's not an Everton player now is because they have no actual cash to pay us. 

Well then you’ve answered your own question

Ill give you £500 to transfer to the Pompey forum, Ill pay you over the next 200 years

• Like 1

We play slightly differently to Swansea, and I think it’s obvious that a physical type is more advantageous to us

Im not saying im not dissapointed about losing out on Piroe IF Che leaves, Im just not losing any sleep until those particular dominos fall into place

Which is fair and I've said, missing on Piroe means we cannot now sell Che. Unfortunately, we all know how this ends. 

More than willing to eat my humble pie if it doesn't, i'm really confident it will though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dman said:

Which is fair and I've said, missing on Piroe means we cannot now sell Che. Unfortunately, we all know how this ends. 

More than willing to eat my humble pie if it doesn't, i'm really confident it will though. 

It doesn’t at all, it just means we have to replace him if we do, so we’re in exactly the same position 

• Like 2

Well then you’ve answered your own question

Ill give you £500 to transfer to the Pompey forum, Ill pay you over the next 200 years

Because we've not accepted a ridiculously badly structed deal, doesn't mean we're not completely open to selling him. 

All we asked for is c. £5m up front (allegedly). Does that not sound like a club who's pretty soft to the player leaving. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agree with this with AA. You could look at his stats and see 3 goals and an assist from 3 games and think he's hit the ground running, but I thought he was pretty useless in the first two games. One goal off his back and two pens. Better last game but he wasn't playing down the middle. 

I don't know whether the Championship has changed since we were last in it and whether you just need goals all over the team rather than a heavy goalscorer. But traditionally the way up has been to find your 20+ goalscorer even if they aren't prem quality, like Rasiak, chopra or Pukki (and those that were good enough for prem, like Lambert and Mitrovic)

I don't trust AA to be that player, though I feel che might. If che goes, we absolutely need someone else there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Because we've not accepted a ridiculously badly structed deal, doesn't mean we're not completely open to selling him. 

All we asked for is c. £5m up front (allegedly). Does that not sound like a club who's pretty soft to the player leaving. 

I genuinely have no idea what point you’re trying to make

• Haha 1

OMG this forum tomorrow if Piroe scores, it will be in meltdown!!! I posted yesterday that we should have bought Piroe (if RM thinks he is the answer) as Che is out of contract at the end of the season and so we wouldnt need to carry him in the future (always January as well) Now we have the problem that if Che goes on the eve of the window shutting we will have a bun fight trying to get a replacement and also the selling club will have our pants down. Hopefully the club have a better option but our record in the last few years regarding forward purchases has not been good

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Why? You speak as if Piroe is the only possible Che replacement. Sure, he looked ideal but I still can't see him staying and being allowed to leave free next year, or signing a contract. He'll go, and he'll be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

We've been fanning around in no mans land because we don't know what will happen with Che

Isn't it arguably Everton that have been doing the "fanning"? If the bid for Che had come from a more viable/reliable club then it would have probably been done and dusted by now? (ok, admittedly we could be accused of being stupid for believing that Everton would come up with the cash in a more timely fashion but I guess these things are never as straight-forward as they seem to those of us on the outside looking in)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

OMG this forum tomorrow if Piroe scores, it will be in meltdown!!! I posted yesterday that we should have bought Piroe (if RM thinks he is the answer) as Che is out of contract at the end of the season and so we wouldnt need to carry him in the future (always January as well) Now we have the problem that if Che goes on the eve of the window shutting we will have a bun fight trying to get a replacement and also the selling club will have our pants down. Hopefully the club have a better option but our record in the last few years regarding forward purchases has not been good

This has got Ings on deadline day written all over it.... ;)

Moods: Groundhog Day. You know that feeling when you try to… | by Nick  Mastrini | Within and Without | Medium

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I genuinely have no idea what point you’re trying to make

Pretty simple. You 

We're very open to Adams leaving. It wont take a lot to get him, £15m with £5m of that upfront. 

We accepted a bid, until it became obvious that Everton have no actual money to pay with - that doesn't mean we haven't 'softened our resolve' on him. We're wide open for him to leave. 

Because we wanted Piroe, didn't mean we were going to let Adams walk away for basically nothing. He's obviously going though, we know that, we should have had a plan in place to anticipate that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

This is just daft.

The assumption you've made is that we, as a club, are only capable of sellling players and have absolutely no chance of buying anyone.  Nonsense. We've as much chance of buying replacements as the clubs you are presuming will buy our players.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Why? You speak as if Piroe is the only possible Che replacement. Sure, he looked ideal but I still can't see him staying and being allowed to leave free next year, or signing a contract. He'll go, and he'll be replaced. 

FWIW - I'm not doubting he wont be replace. He'll be replaced, but it'll be by our 2md, 3rd, 4th choice. 

Not someone proven at this level in our exact system. Missing out on Piroe is a fuck up by the club, its as simple as that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

This is just daft.

The assumption you've made is that we, as a club, are only capable of sellling players and have absolutely no chance of buying anyone.  Nonsense. We've as much chance of buying replacements as the clubs you are presuming will buy our players.

I've not made that assumption at all. We'll bring in a center forward, I'm certain of it. I've no confidence they'll be any good though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

Didn’t the gaffer say we had received two bids for Che and rejected both?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Didn’t the gaffer say we had received two bids for Che and rejected both?

We rejected an offer from Bournemouth for £10m earlier in the window, then couldn't agree a deal with Everton for £15m because they had no cash to give us up front. 

28 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

20 minutes ago, Dman said:

So you responded to this, with some nonsense about how we’re obviously ‘open to sell him’ of which Im pretty clear that I accept

You’re just so keen to sow seeds of despondency that you can’t formulate a meaningful argument

So I’ll put it in simple terms….

IF WE WERE 100% INVESTED IN PIROE, WE’D OF AGREED A DEAL WITH EVERTON, OR BOURNEMOUTH OR ANY OF THE OTHER TWO BIDS SO WE COULD PERSUE PIROE

Frankly the fact we’re still rejecting bids shows me we’re clearly not as open to selling as you suggest

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 3

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

So you responded to this, with some nonsense about how we’re obviously ‘open to sell him’ of which Im pretty clear that I accept

You’re just so keep to sow seeds of despondency that you can’t formulate a meaningful argument

So I’ll put it in simple terms….

IF WE WERE 100% INVESTED IN PIROE, WE’D OF AGREED A DEAL WITH EVERTON, OR BOURNEMOUTH OR ANY OF THE OTHER TWO BIDS SO WE COULD PERSUE PIROE

Frankly the fact we’re still rejecting bids shows me we’re clearly not as open to selling as you suggest

We agreed a deal in principle with Everton, until they had no money to give us. We're clearly not going to give him away for nothing or way below our value, but that also doesn't mean that we aren't willing for him to go. Reports suggest we are and that the player wants to leave. 

We were allegedly in advanced negotiations for Piroe. Loads of reports have suggested he was our top target to replace Che. We obviously didn't want to sign him whilst Che was still at the club, rightly or wrongly. 

Lets agree to disagree then re-asses in a weeks time 👍

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

This has got Ings on deadline day written all over it.... ;)

That did cross my mind. You've had your eye on that pretty girl across the room, she turns you down as someone better is out there. Then at 11:55 she thinks "ah sod it, at least he's keen". If no-ons else comes in for Ings and we need someone, I can see a last minute loan deal for him going through.

• Like 1

Anyway I can’t be arsed to get sucked too far into the bedwetting, my takes as follows;

- I was concerned we didn’t have cover in CB and CM, that seems like being addressed

- Id rather not sell the likes of Che, Tella or Adams but understand if bids are too good to refuse we almost need too

- Will be disappointed if first 11 players aren’t adequately replaced

- Fraser seems a good option but not sure where he fits squad wise, suspect we’ll lose a winger (moneys in Sully)

- Overall as of right now I think our squad is the strongest in the div, all things considered

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

We agreed a deal in principle with Everton, until they had no money to give us. We're clearly not going to give him away for nothing or way below our value, but that also doesn't mean that we aren't willing for him to go. Reports suggest we are and that the player wants to leave. 

We were allegedly in advanced negotiations for Piroe. Loads of reports have suggested he was our top target to replace Che. We obviously didn't want to sign him whilst Che was still at the club, rightly or wrongly. 

Have you considered the possibility that Adams has accepted the contract on offer and therefore no need for Piroe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

So yeah.. like I said, would of made sense that if Piroe was the only possible replacement for Che in the entire world that we’d of sanctioned the move, in the knowledge that Leeds were also interested

So id hazard a guess we weren’t as interested in the end as we all thought

• Like 2

If Piroe was so brilliant, why have no Premier League clubs been interested in him, including Everton? I’ve never seen him play and I expect some of the posters stressing over him going to Leeds haven’t either. We may well have another option lined up that has not been leaked. I’d rather Che stay but it’s looking likely he’ll end up somewhere else. Good chance it will be a better option for him than Everton as the panic sets in. Buyers mucking around always makes it worse for the lower league teams unfortunately.

• Like 1

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Have you considered the possibility that Adams has accepted the contract on offer and therefore no need for Piroe?

Pretty unlikely, Martin said earlier today that the offer is still on the table and he hopes Che will take the time to think it over properly.

• Like 2

Just remarking on what may purely be coincidence but it looks quite like the finance team is trying to balance the cash flow quite strictly.
Note for example the Onuacho v Paintsil swop deal idea, note the two loans, note that we apparently only wanted c £5m in cash up front of the £15m for Che - and that we have recently apparently offered c £7m in cash plus add ons for the swans CB. Money in money out from now on it seems. 

Edited by gio1saints

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Just remarking on what May purely be coincidence but it looks quite like the finance team is trying to balance the cash flow quite strictly.
Note for example the Onuacho v Paintsil swop deal idea, note the two loans, note that we apparently only wanted c £5m in cash up front of the £15m for Che - and that we have recently apparently offered c £7m in cash plus add ons for the swans CB. Money in money out it seems. 

The issue with the Champ is it doesn’t matter how much available money you have, the EFL takes FFP seriously, so if you aren’t careful it hurts you

Making sure we attack this year with a correct balance ensures we have another bite of the cherry next and beyond ‘if’ necessary

Look at QPR, they’re owned by a multi billionaire but restricted significantly by FFP

9 minutes ago, Jammy Saint said:

If Piroe was so brilliant, why have no Premier League clubs been interested in him, including Everton?

Yep, fair point. One assumes those advocating that we replace Che (if he leaves) with Piroe are doing so because they believe that Piroe is at least as good as Che.... ergo.... if he's at least as good as Che, and we've received at least 2 bids from Premier League clubs for Che, logic would say that Swansea should have received similar bids from Premier League clubs for Piroe. (Maybe they have, and we don't know about it, but then why would he move to another Championship club if that was the case?).

Therefore, one can only logically conclude that if Premier League clubs are bidding for Che, and Piroe is moving to another championship club, then Piroe isn't as good as Che and therefore wouldn't have been a same level replacement if Che was to leave...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, fair point. One assumes those advocating that we replace Che (if he leaves) with Piroe are doing so because they believe that Piroe is at least as good as Che.... ergo.... if he's at least as good as Che, and we've received at least 2 bids from Premier League clubs for Che, logic would say that Swansea should have received similar bids from Premier League clubs for Piroe. (Maybe they have, and we don't know about it, but then why would he move to another Championship club if that was the case?).

One can only conclude (logically) that if Premier League clubs are bidding for Che, and Piroe is moving to another championship club, then Piroe isn't as good as Che and therefore wouldn't have been a same level replacement if Che was to leave...

Logically

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

So yeah.. like I said, would of made sense that if Piroe was the only possible replacement for Che in the entire world that we’d of sanctioned the move, in the knowledge that Leeds were also interested

So id hazard a guess we weren’t as interested in the end as we all thought

Clearly not the only replacement in the world, you're making it up that anyone has said that. 

He was absolutely the most obvious and arguably least risky move we could have made. Also, according to @Pilchards, whom imo is a genuine ITK, was our number 1 target to replace Che. 

The evidence suggests we we're in for and interested in him (much like it was that we're open to sell Che), but if you don't want to believe that, you do you. 

• Haha 1