Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Despite the negativity on here for me it's so far not so bad..

- Orsić, Diallo, Caletta-Car, Walcott and Elynoussi aren't really a big loss

Salisu didn't live up to expectations and have now replaced with holgate who isn't great either at PL level (but may at least want to play for us ...)

- Livramento went a decent fee, who may or may not recover from a serious injury

Ward-Prowse gone for arguably more than he's worth and we've replaced with Downes who may not be quite as good but is well thought of and looks capable

- Lavia has gone for a good fee and have replaced with Charles who seems very competent

We've also added:

- Manning - jury is still out

- Fraser - should be decent at this level and has something to prove

We might yet lose some decent players, but given that we've gone down a division so far things aren't so bad.... Just not sure why there is so much negativity here.

• Like 4

Personally expected Tella to go as he has obviously been pushing for a move all summer. Sounds like a good fee and to be fair a great opportunity for him. 

Hopefully we can reinvest the cash whether in that position or elsewhere or at least keep Sulemana.

Have to say I was suprised by how well both Fraser and Holgate come across on their video interviews - both seem keen to prove themselves and genuinely pleased to be joining. Low risk, potentially high reward additions.

That's probably the most disappointing and unexpected transfer, after Tino. A year in this league and it felt like we'd get the benefit of that, but seemingly not.

I think he's wanted out for a while to be honest, scored some goals for us this year but I've felt he's played within himself up until now.

I fully expect Fraser is his replacement, so all we can do is get behind it - nothing we can do about it now, might as well try and make the most this season (we still have a good side fwiw). If we are no where near in January, then yeah, we have fucked it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

Oh well, if a team like Leverkusen come knocking we're not keeping him, however hard you try. 

My view, club was never going to turn down a £20m plus deal for a player they tried to get rid of this time last year. Let’s hope we have a genuine replacement lined up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This time last year I would have laughed at you if you said he would got for £20m to Germany after his loan at Burnley.

This one feels like a big blow for our promotion push, Fraser is obviously his replacement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Personally expected Tella to go as he has obviously been pushing for a move all summer. Sounds like a good fee and to be fair a great opportunity for him. 

Hopefully we can reinvest the cash whether in that position or elsewhere or at least keep Sulemana.

Have to say I was suprised by how well both Fraser and Holgate come across on their video interviews - both seem keen to prove themselves and genuinely pleased to be joining. Low risk, potentially high reward additions.

Good that the Tella money should be all profit too. 

Agreed on Fraser/Holgate videos.  I hate when players say stuff like: "I've got nothing to prove".  

Wouldn't hold my breath on Sulemana staying. (Would be delighted to be wrong though).

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Genuine question as I don't recall it, how did AM-N come across in his joining interview? Hopefully Holgate and Fraser's actions will back up their media managed words.

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

If Sports Republic don't put any of this cash back into the squad between now and next Friday, are we allowed to question their intentions? 

100%, and I’m someone who has tried to remain optimistic with SR. Can’t sell that many players for that much money and have a majority of our signings be loans and free transfers. 

• Like 4

20m + add ons is quite a return for somebody who is only proven at Championship level.

Yes I would have liked Tella to stay and yes we may not see all the money reinvested but....

If (Big IF) Sulemana stays and we also have the option of Edozie, Amo, Fraser and AA in the wide areas then im happy with that for a championship team. I dont think it was realistic that both Tella and Sully would stay, but if we can keep one it would be great. Thought it would be Tella though

• Like 1

Just now, goodymatt said:

This time last year I would have laughed at you if you said he would got for £20m to Germany after his loan at Burnley.

This one feels like a big blow for our promotion push, Fraser is obviously his replacement.

Great news really.

am sure we can get che out of the door plus sulemana on loan.

The one that worries me is ABK. He’s the one decent senior player l we might not get rid of which is a worry. 

Good news we have not signed anyone of any note to date and hopefully we can hang onto tall Paul and bazanu albeit the latter looks increasingly vulnerable to a move 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

I think Fraser is a good player but Id still be dissapointed if it is him

Not sure we have the space for another.

Edozie, Amo-Ameyaw, Fraser, Moussa, Sullemana - not sure how we add another to that. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Why ? These are the people who signed Tall Paul and appointed Nathan jones. 

Err, no. That was Ankersen. He's in Turkey doing his thing. Wilcox and a whole new crew are now doing the grown up stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

20m + add ons is quite a return for somebody who is only proven at Championship level.

Yes I would have liked Tella to stay and yes we may not see all the money reinvested but....

If (Big IF) Sulemana stays and we also have the option of Edozie, Amo, Fraser and AA in the wide areas then im happy with that for a championship team. I dont think it was realistic that both Tella and Sully would stay, but if we can keep one it would be great. Thought it would be Tella though

To be honest, we’re in a pretty strong position re Sulemana. He has four years left on his contract and we aren’t going to take less than what we paid. Not many willing to spend that much on him I wouldn’t think. Loan could happen but only if he can’t knuckle down  

• Like 3

Just now, Dig Dig said:

To be honest, we’re in a pretty strong position re Sulemana. He has four years left on his contract and we aren’t going to take less than what we paid. Not many willing to spend that much on him I wouldn’t think. Loan could happen but only if he can’t knuckle down  

We will ship him out on loan - the whole Tenor of the club feels down with Holgate, Fraser etc 

Is that upwards of 175m in sales already 😂? Obviously we'll only see about 140m with the sell on clauses but thats still impressive. Could be worse, we could be loaning all our assets out in the hope that somebody buys them next summer.

Realistically we're unlikely to see even 50m of that reinvested, but thats due to our current standing as opposed to tights pockets from SR. Wouldnt want to see us spending a fortune on players who may not be good enough for our PL return anyways

• Like 1

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

Then I'm not sure how we go up. Simple as that.

Sully looked better in the Prem than Tella ever did; neither were great but Sully was better. Edozie and Djenepo were no worse and Fraser has in the past looked good in the Prem. I don’t think those are bad options to have out wide, I really don’t.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Edozie, Amo-Ameyaw, Fraser, Moussa, Sullemana - not sure how we add another to that. 

Exactly. The club are showing a lot of faith in Edozie; it paves the way for SAA and I'm still hoping Sully will come good. Fraser is in so Tella could leave.

The striker position is interesting. Will Che go if we don't have a replacement? I'm still hoping Che will stay.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Somebody posted earlier who seemed vaguely ITK that Djenepo believe it or not has a few clubs keen to sign him. Don’t know whether loan or perm. Can’t see him getting much of a look in with Russell Martin and moron decision by the club with last season’s extension. Sulemana - who knows, get a sense he wants to go but was expensive and nobody wants to commit break even money (£22m or so).
So he ought to get fit and get his head down and make a huge impact in the Championship. If he doesn’t and someone offers a deal washing the club’s face then there would need to be at least one new wide player with a bit towards the new striker if Che goes to stretch the budget. Maybe two if Mara is loaned out. I again can’t see Mara fitting the detailed way RM wants to play. 
The first team badly lacks goals with Tella going and Adams very likely. Can’t rely on a loan option to get a 25 goal striker. AA decent so far but I think RM wants him just off the main striker.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Sully looked better in the Prem than Tella ever did; neither were great but Sully was better. Edozie and Djenepo were no worse and Fraser has in the past looked good in the Prem. I don’t think those are bad options to have out wide, I really don’t.

I respect your opinion but only Sulemana (maybe) out of those four has a clinical touch in front of goal. Edozie, Djenepo and Fraser are not goalscorers. Tella scored 19 goals last season. If Che goes and the replacement is duff then we're fucked.

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Exactly. The club are showing a lot of faith in Edozie; it paves the way for SAA and I'm still hoping Sully will come good. Fraser is in so Tella could leave.

The striker position is interesting. Will Che go if we don't have a replacement? I'm still hoping Che will 

He will go as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's probably the most disappointing and unexpected transfer, after Tino. A year in this league and it felt like we'd get the benefit of that, but seemingly not.

I think he's wanted out for a while to be honest, scored some goals for us this year but I've felt he's played within himself up until now.

I fully expect Fraser is his replacement, so all we can do is get behind it - nothing we can do about it now, might as well try and make the most this season (we still have a good side fwiw). If we are no where near in January, then yeah, we have fucked it.

Don't really blame Tella for wanting to go. Must have felt like a massive kick in the teeth to him when we loaned him out to Burnley and ended up playing the likes of Edozie and Mara ahead of him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

How much cash have we brought in now?  Has someone kept a tally? 

Well according to Jacob Tanswell on his Fraser announcement tweet, we are having to utilise the loan market as we spent so much last season. He pretty much confirmed that in his replies:

https://x.com/j_tanswell/status/1695119121506058564?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Record sales for this league and we don’t have much of a budget by the sounds of it? Maybe we need to sell Tella just to cover the loan fees and Wood…