Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Well according to Jacob Tanswell on his Fraser announcement tweet, we are having to utilise the loan market as we spent so much last season. He pretty much confirmed that in his replies:

https://x.com/j_tanswell/status/1695119121506058564?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Record sales for this league and we don’t have much of a budget by the sounds of it? Maybe we need to sell Tella just to cover the loan fees and Wood… 

So what's the difference between Sports Republic and Gao? 

Just now, goodymatt said:

Well according to Jacob Tanswell on his Fraser announcement tweet, we are having to utilise the loan market as we spent so much last season. He pretty much confirmed that in his replies:

https://x.com/j_tanswell/status/1695119121506058564?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Record sales for this league and we don’t have much of a budget by the sounds of it? Maybe we need to sell Tella just to cover the loan fees and Wood… 

So all this stuff about SR supporting financially and not having to sell to buy was horseshit then 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Too much money to turn down for a player of his level. Squeaky bum time though.

Well.. I guess when you get offered £20m for a forward that has only scored 1 PL goal, you take it.

oh, and i come up with £159.2m total so far.

romeo lavia  £58 million
james ward prowse £30 million
mo salisu £17.2 million
tino livramento £32 million
mislav orsic £02 million
nathan tella £20 million

although, that Salisu number has been a tricky one to pin down.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

If Sports Republic don't put any of this cash back into the squad between now and next Friday, are we allowed to question their intentions? 

Absofuckinglutely. If we make that sort of money, don’t invest a good chunk of it into the side, and don’t get promoted as a result we would be completely within our rights to question a) what are SR doing, and b) just how bleak the future is for the club

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

I respect your opinion but only Sulemana (maybe) out of those four has a clinical touch in front of goal. Edozie, Djenepo and Fraser are not goalscorers. Tella scored 19 goals last season. If Che goes and the replacement for his is duff then we're fucked.

Yes but your analysis assumes the people running the club know what they are doing and/or want the club to prosper 

they have always intended to sell anyone of value save smallbone ( for some reason)

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

So all this stuff about SR supporting financially and not having to sell to buy was horseshit then 

Certainly looks that way and I feel a bit silly for defending them so staunchly over spending money earlier this year. Seems like I fell for their PR a bit sadly. 

• Like 1

Good deal for Tella, the lad has a great opportunity at BL. Certainly can't argue at £20m. Should be a good stage for him.

Saints didn't want him last year, not surprised he's moved on.

Good luck to him, hopefully Sulemana will step in.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Feels like they rolled the dice, got burnt and now want to balance the books before doing anything. Unlike Gao they actually have access to money and seemed to understand you’ve got to invest to make money. I think being in the championship they are treading very carefully. 

In short still an underwhelming sustainable approach that isn’t competitive in this mega rich modern football space.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

SR spent a very large amount of money both last summer and in January, something Gao never did. We were never the second top spenders in any given transfer window under Gao. Now we’re having to adjust our squad to compensate for a huge drop in revenue and to cash in on various players whilst their stock is high and their contracts are long. Not to mention we probably gambled on overspending in January, on the understanding that we’d have to recoup most of that outlay if we went down.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

SR spent a very large amount of money both last summer and in January, something Gao never did. We were never the second top spenders in any given transfer window under Gao. Now we’re having to adjust our squad to compensate for a huge drop in revenue and to cash in on various players whilst their stock is high and their contracts are long. Not to mention we probably gambled on overspending in January, on the understanding that we’d have to recoup most of that outlay if we went down.

Under Gao he essentially didn't invest anything and incomings and outgoings were roughly balanced. It feels like we are doing something very similar here with sales making up for the transfers from last year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Don't really blame Tella for wanting to go. Must have felt like a massive kick in the teeth to him when we loaned him out to Burnley and ended up playing the likes of Edozie and Mara ahead of him.

Tella was in tears when we shipped him out.

Some of the ladies in the kit team had to confront him. So yes he owe us nothing and deep down he’s making a good career move.

BTW Alcarez was the player that had changed his mind about leaving. Hoping that seeing all these guys leaving doesn’t sway him to think again?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, northam soul said:

No way Adams is playing tomorrow based on RM comments just released from the embargoed part of the press conference.

Trained in the other group apparently, so Arm up front then .

With Everton seemingly turning their attention to Beto, I dont see any reason why he wouldnt play. 

• Like 2

Pleased for Tella, he's put in the hard work and got his move based on is efforts last season.

I'm still feeling pretty relaxed, Pretty much everyone who's gone was to be expected, I expect we will see possibly Kamaldeen, Tall Paul, Lyanco and ABK gone before the end of the window ,aybe Che unless he renews.

The loan options make a ton of sense right now whilst we steady the ship, we don't want to be lumbered with these guys but they will be hungry to show thier worth and it gives us room to manouver for longer-term targets.

Fraser coming in is a good example of just how fast things can move, none of us had a clue he was coming in until earlier today and it's already a done deal. I really think we're only going to be able to judge this window by the time it closes at the earliest... and probably much later on depending on performances.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Pleased for Tella, he's put in the hard work and got his move based on is efforts last season.

I'm still feeling pretty relaxed, Pretty much everyone who's gone was to be expected, I expect we will see possibly Kamaldeen, Tall Paul, Lyanco and ABK gone before the end of the window ,aybe Che unless he renews.

The loan options make a ton of sense right now whilst we steady the ship, we don't want to be lumbered with these guys but they will be hungry to show thier worth and it gives us room to manouver for longer-term targets.

Fraser coming in is a good example of just how fast things can move, none of us had a clue he was coming in until earlier today and it's already a done deal. I really think we're only going to be able to judge this window by the time it closes at the earliest... and probably much later on depending on performances.

Great post

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would hazard a guess that Everton weren't his only option 

Yeah, he hasn’t wanted to move there at all, I wonder whether someone like Fulham might come in after Mitrovic left. 

7 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Fact remains we've downgraded what was, IMO, the best attack in Championship significantly in the space of 24 hours. If Che departs then our attack is arguably not top six standard. 

• Like 2

I hoped Tella would stay but £20 million + does sound like too good a deal to pass up for the club. Rapidly running out of jewels. I’ve thought all season it’s imperative we keep Charley, and I’d also add KWP to that. Now I also hope we can tie Che down. Man this is going to be a long week…

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

So the statements from the club when we sold Livramento and JWP is utter bollocks then. 

It looks like it will be another shocking transfer window under SR. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hate to break the news but the fact of the matter is we are now a championship team. The majority of players that have left are not championship players they are higher level players, we were never going to be able to keep most of them.

In a footballing utopia it wouldn't be an issue we would just say no to offers and move on but the fact is these are real humans with their own wants and needs and it only takes a few agitated players to ruin the group. The one thing I trust is that the management team at the club know about these players and their ambitions more than we ever will.

So you have to roll with the punches, and make the most of the situation that's put in front of you. Russ has said more than once he won't worry about the things outside of his control. If a player leaves they leave.

What he and Wilcox can control is replacing that player and we can't judge that work until the window is closed. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Well.. I guess when you get offered £20m for a forward that has only scored 1 PL goal, you take it.

oh, and i come up with £159.2m total so far.

romeo lavia  £58 million
james ward prowse £30 million
mo salisu £17.2 million
tino livramento £32 million
mislav orsic £02 million
nathan tella £20 million

although, that Salisu number has been a tricky one to pin down.

Gotta subtract those hefty sell-on clauses.

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Blackmore doesn't seem to think Fraser is the Tella replacement. Let's see what SR are made of 

If Sulemana stays then surely we won't sign anyone else in that position? We certainly wouldn't need more bodies with Edozie, Fraser  SAA, Arma, S. Armstrong all able to play wide too.

The key players window wise are Adams, Sulemana and KWP. Need to be keeping two of those three now. 

KWP would be almost impossible to replace.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

He alludes to it in the final paragraph. Alfie House did similar in his tweet regarding Tella. 

No he asks a question - how much will they spend to get those goals back? The answer coukd well be that we've already brought in the replacement and we are satisfied with what we've got. It could maybe mean that we think the goals will come from elsewhere in the team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

If Sulemana stays then surely we won't sign anyone else in that position? We certainly wouldn't need more bodies with Edozie, Fraser  SAA, Arma, S. Armstrong all able to play wide too.

The key players window wise are Adams, Sulemana and KWP. Need to be keeping two of those three now. 

KWP would be almost impossible to replace.

Seems like Drameh would be the player on the shortlist for KWP's spot

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

No offence but the key players just shift onto the next one as soon as one is sold. The likelihood is that all three of those remaining will also be sold.