Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

23 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Quite clearly the club isn't the financial mess that some perceive it to be in if Smallbone has signed a new contract. 

No doubt we would have sold him if we were that desperate for cash.

With him, Downes, Alcaraz and Charles we will surely have the best midfield options in the league.

Les Reed was right, he just came out with that statement 7 years too early.

I think the finances are unbalanced with having such a big squad with the wild spending last summer, not so much from fees paid but the remuneration package which contributes to ongoing baseline costs and restricts cash flow. 

Maybe the club statements about reinvestment of sales support the restructuring of the club (not squad). 

Relegation a costly mistake when Ankerson “broke” our transfer policy. 

Big test now for Wilcox and Martin if Adams goes in selecting a suitable replacement for the promotion push. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Be interesting to see what happens with KWP, but he’s still here for now

Woods and Holgate are good options

Fraser I think will surprise a few, he’s a good player at this level, or atleast should be, I do think we’ll replace Tella

I am pretty sure Holgate has been signed to replace KWP as someone who can pass the ball and move forward into midfield as an inverted fullback. With Bree as the back up. 

I think Woods will be the replacement for Lyanco and I am hopeful that when ABK leaves Taylor Harwood-Bellis replaces him.

Maybe I am wrong and it’s 2 players in to replace 3 outgoing in KWP, Lyanco and ABK.

Just now, Doctoroncall said:

I think the finances are unbalanced with having such a big squad with the wild spending last summer, not so much from fees paid but the remuneration package which contributes to ongoing baseline costs and restricts cash flow. 

Maybe the club statements about reinvestment of sales support the restructuring of the club (not squad). 

Relegation a costly mistake when Ankerson “broke” our transfer policy. 

Big test now for Wilcox and Martin if Adams goes in selecting a suitable replacement for the promotion push. 

So Ankersen spending spree plus relegation has cost the club the thick end of £250m? 

• Haha 1

We have sold some of the gems and that was inevitable..

Why waste energy worrying about the likes of Tella for example. Would I liked to of kept him? 

of course who wouldn't maybe he just wanted to go. The way we have treated him in the past has been abysmal so can't blame the lad.... 

Fraser and Holgate I feel are smart low risk acquisitions that both offer experience which correct me if I'm wrong fans were moaning about this exact problem last season. 

Regarding Adams if he goes so be it I'd be happy to refresh this area. 

I'm sure the board have a list of replacements. 

Who knows we might unearth the next Rickie Lambert.

We might bring in some lower league player or unknown then he might start banging them in like Lambert I'm not gonna complain if it gets us out this league 😉 

Chin up lads 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Has anyone maybe considered that given Joel Piroe played under Russell Martin recently, that maybe we just weren’t in for him in the first place? Thus the reason he ended up at Leeds.

Or that Piroe didn’t want to play under RM?

Or that Leeds are a bigger club than Southampton?

Or that Leeds offered him higher wages?

People are quick to lay the blame at the clubs feet without any facts.

All of that is possible, as is the possibility that we thought he'd be good enough get us up nothing more. If he wanted a 5 year deal, for example, that'd have left us with him for 4 years beyond us going up.

Anyway, too many hypotheticals , and it doesn't matter cos he's Leeds man now. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nothing at all, but currently Adams is still in the building, albeit he didn’t train yesterday so Im not sure he’ll play today

My understanding was that Adams did train yesterday, but is likely to be benched vs qpr?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So Ankersen spending spree plus relegation has cost the club the thick end of £250m? 

I wouldn’t look at it that way as some of the cost has been realised with fees obtained this summer. It’s clear he messed up. 

There was an estimated cost of relegation in a post or article but cannot remember the figure. 

12 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I am pretty sure Holgate has been signed to replace KWP as someone who can pass the ball and move forward into midfield as an inverted fullback. With Bree as the back up. 

I think Woods will be the replacement for Lyanco and I am hopeful that when ABK leaves Taylor Harwood-Bellis replaces him.

Maybe I am wrong and it’s 2 players in to replace 3 outgoing in KWP, Lyanco and ABK.

No way is Holgate the KWP replacement. Listen to his interview, he has come here to play centre back. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

No way is Holgate the KWP replacement. Listen to his interview, he has come here to play centre back. 

Agreed. He hasn't played right back for three seasons. He's come as a CB that can play RB.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

I wouldn’t look at it that way as some of the cost has been realised with fees obtained this summer. It’s clear he messed up. 

There was an estimated cost of relegation in a post or article but cannot remember the figure. 

Im not sure our owners will view it that way, they didn't spend £120m to get relegated. As for this stuff about saving money for promotion, well we've got to get promotion first, easier said than done.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So does that mean bednarek is out the door or are we going to move to a back 3. (given heavily linked with wood too)

It means what it’s always meant - that Lyanco and ABK will most likely be leaving before the end of the window.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So does that mean bednarek is out the door or are we going to move to a back 3. (given heavily linked with wood too)

Isn't it more likely ABK and/or Lyanco depart? Giving us four CBs 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

As disappointing as all this is, after a good night's sleep I think a comfortable win today will make everything seem better. I hope we have enough attacking wise today with Tella and Adams seemingly out the door. Getting the Adams replacement right is a must and then we need to find some more goals from somewhere. 

Dont under estimate QPR, if you wathced the highlights against Ipswich last week they should have won by a margin but missed some amazing chances. I think we should win but would not be surprised f we struggle

• Like 2

I find it interesting that Martin says Holgate will play predominantly CB, and that Holgate says adamantly that he wants to play CB and is a CB... and yet we are seemingly trying to sign Wood as well.

Is the implication that KWP isn't leaving and so we don't need additional RB cover? Or is it that bednarek is off as well? Can see us with quite a few CBs on the books by the end of the window as it stands - Stephens / Bendarek / Woods / Holgate / ABK / Lyanco / Awe and ofc Charles...

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

I find it interesting that Martin says Holgate will play predominantly CB, and that Holgate says adamantly that he wants to play CB and is a CB... and yet we are seemingly trying to sign Wood as well.

Is the implication that KWP isn't leaving and so we don't need additional RB cover? Or is it that bednarek is off as well? Can see us with quite a few CBs on the books by the end of the window as it stands - Stephens / Bendarek / Woods / Holgate / ABK / Lyanco / Awe and ofc Charles...

I would say by the end of next Friday we'll be looking at CBs of Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate and Wood. Shea offering cover if required but signed for DM. 

SR will be hoping to shift Lyanco, ABK will likely end up on loan in Germany

Awe was signed for the U21 so should be discounted.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

You can't see Bednarek being happy with potentially being third/fourth choice. If we sign Wood as well as Holgate then I'd be surprised if he isn't sold.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I would say by the end of next Friday we'll be looking at CBs of Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate and Wood. Shea offering cover if required but signed for DM. 

SR will be hoping to shift Lyanco, ABK will likely end up on loan in Germany

Awe was signed for the U21 so should be discounted.

Euros next summer, and Bednarek wants to be in the Poland squad. Stephen's won't be dropped as he's been made captain (🤣), and Woods will be a big money signing. Holgate similarly would expect to play regularly at this level. Its a good set of CB's for the championship, but equally will be very hard to keep them all happy and maintain a settled back line.

Also, if the club do shift Lyanco, ABK, Tella, Adams, and potentially/probably others, it would seem to be quite poor business without at least 2 more quality additions for this level.

Edited by Saint86

*Not from my ITK source rather from some random FB page*

Smallbone set to sign a new contract. Turned down 3 x the wages at an unnamed PL club thought to be Sheff Utd because he wants to play for Saints.

If this is true the boy needs to be sent for immediate psychiatric testing to make sure he's of sound mind to be making these decisions.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Euros next summer, and Bednarek wants to be in the Poland squad. Stephen's won't be dropped as he's been made captain (🤣), and Woods will be a big money signing. Holgate similarly would expect to play regularly at this level. Its a good set of CB's for the championship, but equally will be very hard to keep them all happy and maintain a settled back line.

Yes, quite a task to keep them all happy but that's Martin's job.

Given the amount of yellows being handed out we'll be looking at plenty of suspensions this season so need the depth

• Like 6

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Smallbone set to sign a new contract. Turned down 3 x the wages at an unnamed PL club thought to be Sheff Utd because he wants to play for Saints.

If this is true the boy needs to be sent for immediate psychiatric testing to make sure he's of sound mind to be making these decisions.

Seen this reported a lot today (although not the wages element). Good for him and us frankly. Plenty of other players seemingly can't wait to make their exits, even if they'll be heading to struggling or potential relegation sides.

I'll admit it will be strange if we sign Wood before ABK is sold/loaned giving us a glut of CBs but we wouldn't stretch to signing Piroe before we sold Tall Paul or Che.

We're prepared to be overstocked at Centre Back but not up front.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sounds about right, hence I cannot understand why people seem to think that we've got money to spend. 

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Blimey, the sensible posters do exist, they just wait til the early hours to appear! 

I’ve noticed that. There’s some excellent posts and getting an amount phenomenal of likes.

it’s almost like there are a lot positive readers on here but can’t be bothered to engage with the negative dipshits.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Yes, quite a task to keep them all happy but that's Martin's job.

Given the amount of yellows being handed out we'll be looking at plenty of suspensions this season so need the depth

If Martin plays it smart the suspensions will give players the opportunity to grab their place in the team and create some fierce competition for places which can only be a good thing especially to keep Stephens and Bednarek on their toes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Interesting that one of the false prophets you were warned about insisted Smallbone wanted to go......

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Im not sure our owners will view it that way, they didn't spend £120m to get relegated. As for this stuff about saving money for promotion, well we've got to get promotion first, easier said than done.

I’m sure they have their own better view and hence why there has been a change with our Serbian Overlord taking a keener interest and Ankerson nowhere to be seen. 

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Perhaps Smallbone has integrity, really does love the club and realises that having lots of 0's on your bank balance doesn't brig you complete happiness. There again if it was a top 6 team he may have gone in a heartbeat but SU probably means he would be playing Championship football next season wheras he has a good chance of playing PL football next season, at a club that longterm may be more relevant and able to stay up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'll admit it will be strange if we sign Wood before ABK is sold/loaned giving us a glut of CBs but we wouldn't stretch to signing Piroe before we sold Tall Paul or Che.

And this is what I don’t get. The only thing I can think is that Piroe was some kind of smoke screen and not our real target which is bizarre in itself. Chez has put some other options out there but tbh I don’t know them well enough apart from Ings (like he’s going to drop his wages) and the little I’ve read re Shankland.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

I’m sure they have their own better view and hence why there has been a change with our Serbian Overlord taking a keener interest and Ankerson nowhere to be seen. 

Rasmus is doing a good job which he was employed to do. Oversee and increase the SR  empire.

5 minutes ago, manji said:

I’ve noticed that. There’s some excellent posts and getting an amount phenomenal of likes.

it’s almost like there are a lot positive readers on here but can’t be bothered to engage with the negative dipshits.

They are all well written, almost professionally by fairly new posters. Sadly they will soon be hounded out lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

And this is what I don’t get. The only thing I can think is that Piroe was some kind of smoke screen and not our real target which is bizarre in itself. Chez has put some other options out there but tbh I don’t know them well enough apart from Ings (like he’s going to drop his wages) and the little I’ve read re Shankland.

If Ings was to come here on loan (I doubt btw)WHU would be paying a large chunk of his wages 

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Perhaps Smallbone has integrity, really does love the club and realises that having lots of 0's on your bank balance doesn't brig you complete happiness. There again if it was a top 6 team he may have gone in a heartbeat but SU probably means he would be playing Championship football next season wheras he has a good chance of playing PL football next season, at a club that longterm may be more relevant and able to stay up.

Not to mention Sheffield United is a disaster area. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, manji said:

Usually in life, the truth lies in between the two extremes. In this case, between cultist fantasists like you and the pessimistic doom mongers.

Things are ok but not great. Could be better and could be worse.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Interesting that one of the false prophets you were warned about insisted Smallbone wanted to go......

Well I suppose he was correct about one thing, I haven't seen too many snippets that have come to pass that are not out in the ether coming through from COT. Waiting for this number 5 thing.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Sounds about right, hence I cannot understand why people seem to think that we've got money to spend. 

Probably because the club have said so themselves...

Although disappointed to lose Livramento, the club chose to accept Newcastle’s latest bid as it both represented fair value for a player of his ability while the fee will also support the wider rebuilding project within the squad this summer.

While the club is naturally disappointed to see him leave, we understand his desire to continue pursuing his career both in the Premier League and on the European and international stages, and are satisfied that we have now received appropriate compensation for a player of his quality and importance, which can further support the club’s own plans in the remainder of the transfer window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

We won’t buy 3 CBs, I do think we’ll lose both ABK and Lyanco

Leaving us with Bednarek, Stephens, Wood, Holgate and Charles as cover

RM even said he signed Holgate to play CB but is glad he can cover RB/DM

If we lose KWP we’ll replace imo

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Well I suppose he was correct about one thing, I haven't seen too many snippets that have come to pass that are not out in the ether coming through from COT. Waiting for this number 5 thing.

You need to look closer. The CoT cannot make things too obvious or it would blow our sources and also make being a member less prestigious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

We won’t buy 3 CBs, I do think we’ll lose both ABK and Lyanco

Leaving us with Bednarek, Stephens, Wood, Holgate and Charles as cover

RM even said he signed Holgate to play CB but is glad he can cover RB/DM

If we lose KWP we’ll replace imo

Pretty decent 4 to be fair. Wood wont be coming here as third choice and we wont be spending £10m on back up so you'd think with Stephens now captain it'll be Wood and him as the first choice pair.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chez said:

What's our options now to replace Che? Shankland, Zekiri, Ings, Keiffer Moore, Aaron Collins...

Any other ideas?

Duk is another one that's been mentioned.

I wonder whether the club are still considering Ross Stewart as well - looks like he could be back fit around end of September.  We could probably manage with what we've got till then if we think he's worth it.  Bit of a risk but he got 10 in 13 games last season before the injury so if he can get back to that kind of form then he's more than enough.  I'm not advocating we do it necessarily - just pointing out an option. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Probably because the club have said so themselves...

Although disappointed to lose Livramento, the club chose to accept Newcastle’s latest bid as it both represented fair value for a player of his ability while the fee will also support the wider rebuilding project within the squad this summer.

While the club is naturally disappointed to see him leave, we understand his desire to continue pursuing his career both in the Premier League and on the European and international stages, and are satisfied that we have now received appropriate compensation for a player of his quality and importance, which can further support the club’s own plans in the remainder of the transfer window.

Support being the key word in both paragraphs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It’s like late Chris Nicholl all over again, for discerning posters of a certain age. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You need to look closer. The CoT cannot make things too obvious or it would blow our sources and also make being a member less prestigious.

Plus some of these bizarre personalised attacks are making the group rather reticent to pass on information. No need for it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3