Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Duk is another one that's been mentioned.

I wonder whether the club are still considering Ross Stewart as well - looks like he could be back fit around end of September.  We could probably manage with what we've got till then if we think he's worth it.  Bit of a risk but he got 10 in 13 games last season before the injury so if he can get back to that kind of form then he's more than enough.  I'm not advocating we do it necessarily - just pointing out an option. 

The problem for me is we've got a huge September. Sunderland, Ipswich, Leicester, Leeds. You'd want a proper CF in for those games. 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

The problem for me is we've got a huge September. Sunderland, Ipswich, Leicester, Leeds. You'd want a proper CF in for those games. 

Yeah, I was just pointing it out that it's an option.  There's always the doubts over whether he comes back as good and whether he can avoid other smaller injuries.  Kind of thing that might make more sense in January depending on circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I was just pointing it out that it's an option.  There's always the doubts over whether he comes back as good and whether he can avoid other smaller injuries.  Kind of thing that might make more sense in January depending on circumstances. 

Would love us to go for Ross Stewart. Would be a bit of a gamble given his injury but I would say worth it. If he comes back in October and hits the ground running he might have higher placed suitors in Jan.

Ings on loan or Stewart are probably about the best we can hope for. Hoping we don't gamble on a Shankland or Duk as our CF replacement. 

53 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'll admit it will be strange if we sign Wood before ABK is sold/loaned giving us a glut of CBs but we wouldn't stretch to signing Piroe before we sold Tall Paul or Che.

We're prepared to be overstocked at Centre Back but not up front.

Good point, but maybe a deal for ABK or Lyanco has been agreed and just hadn't been revealed. That said, if ABK played in the friendly, it can't be for him.

• Like 1

If Woods comes in there'll be at least one of Lyanco, Bednarek or ABK leaving.
Stephens is the new mainstay as captain now.
Holgate obviously joining on loan as CB too, but offers that versatility out wide. I 100% doubt he is a KWP replacement, as some would like to believe. He's a CB by nature.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

We have sold some of the gems and that was inevitable..

Why waste energy worrying about the likes of Tella for example. Would I liked to of kept him? 

of course who wouldn't maybe he just wanted to go. The way we have treated him in the past has been abysmal so can't blame the lad.... 

Fraser and Holgate I feel are smart low risk acquisitions that both offer experience which correct me if I'm wrong fans were moaning about this exact problem last season. 

Regarding Adams if he goes so be it I'd be happy to refresh this area. 

I'm sure the board have a list of replacements. 

Who knows we might unearth the next Rickie Lambert.

We might bring in some lower league player or unknown then he might start banging them in like Lambert I'm not gonna complain if it gets us out this league 😉 

Chin up lads 

We did not 'unearth' an unknown Rickie Lambert; we paid what was at the time, IIRC, the record League One fee, for the  divisions reigning highest goalscorer.

Sorry, mute point maybe (as I also hope we could discover a hidden talent) but it does show that when/if you have a money, sometimes you buy proven quality at that level.

Alas, the Championship 22/23 equivalent would absolutely be Apkom, or perhaps, being a top goalscorer in a midtable team... Gyökeres... Or, alas, Piroe.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'll admit it will be strange if we sign Wood before ABK is sold/loaned giving us a glut of CBs but we wouldn't stretch to signing Piroe before we sold Tall Paul or Che.

We're prepared to be overstocked at Centre Back but not up front.

I think there’re a few likely explanations for that.

1. We’re fairly confident that a departure for a CB is imminent.
  2. We want to keep a back three/five as an option for the season and want five CBs to cover for it.
  3. We enquired about Piroe but were never really that desperate to get him and couldn’t agree a deal which suited both parties.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If Woods comes in there'll be at least one of Lyanco, Bednarek or ABK leaving.
Stephens is the new mainstay as captain now.
Holgate obviously joining on loan as CB too, but offers that versatility out wide. I 100% doubt he is a KWP replacement, as some would like to believe. He's a CB by nature.

I see Holgate coming in along side Jack. We all know how bad Bednerak distribution is. 

I'm all for the signing of a couple of extra experienced defenders. The way we play produces excellent chances going forward so I have no worries on that department, even with Tella and Che off as we will have enough. Our problem is looking well shaky when we lose the ball and are hit on the counter, with our high possession stats we are still conceding sloppy goals. Let's hope Holgate and Woods can help shore that issue up.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thought it was unlimited loans but can only name 5 in the match day squad.

there is a loan window open after the transfer window shuts isn’t there?

I think that was shelved - so the deadline is the deadline for everything, just like the PL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Plus some of these bizarre personalised attacks are making the group rather reticent to pass on information. No need for it. 

Haven't seen anything yet. Its a tad like some kids giggling at the back of the class.

You either have stuff to share or you don't, when I had someone in the dressing room, I asked what I could or could not share. This included players coming in and 'events' in the dressing rooms between players. I didnt need to make my own secret society, and quite frankly of all of the group I suspect only one has any contacts the rest are just sycophants and followers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Does it seem plausible to anyone that we would keep Che until Christmas and sell him then?

Could do, but his value will drop even further and he will be very close to being a free transfer and the extra riches and opportunities that offers.

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thought it was unlimited loans but can only name 5 in the match day squad.

there is a loan window open after the transfer window shuts isn’t there?

Clubs can loan in (or out) maximum of eight players and as you pointed out name five in match day squad. 

same deadline slam as transfers this season. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Haven't seen anything yet. Its a tad like some kids giggling at the back of the class.

You either have stuff to share or you don't, when I had someone in the dressing room, I asked what I could or could not share. This included players coming in and 'events' in the dressing rooms between players. I didnt need to make my own secret society, and quite frankly of all of the group I suspect only one has any contacts the rest are just sycophants and followers.

Mate. I think you *might* just be taking this all a bit too seriously…..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

The trust frequently share bits with each other. However, loose lips sinks ships, hence why we need we need to remain exclusive. 

Information ranges from training ground to board room. All i'll say is there's a reason why members of the trust are fairly negative at the minute. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Could do, but his value will drop even further and he will be very close to being a free transfer and the extra riches and opportunities that offers.

True of course that a free transfer would be closer, but I'd expect him to have made up his mind about that already if he wants to hold out for one. I'd expect us to achieve a similar fee if we did keep him and sell him during the Winter window as the market is always tight. Replacing him would be the problem, I would think.

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Usually in life, the truth lies in between the two extremes. In this case, between cultist fantasists like you and the pessimistic doom mongers.

Things are ok but not great. Could be better and could be worse.

FWIW, as one who'll likely be seen as a 'doom monger', I actually lie somewhere in the middle. 

I've been pleasently impressed by Martin and I actually think our transfer business has been pretty decent. Love Downes, Charles looks like he'll be a really solid player and Holgate and Fraser look to be solid, handy, sensible additions. 

I've major concerns that we're selling all of our goals and I don't trust us to replace them. I think we've majorly fucked up in letting Piroe go to Leeds and I think we'll end up with some no mark for more than we would have paid for him anyway. Which'll cost us promotion. 

Personally, i'm not expecting us to get promotion this year, I think that'll go to Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

FWIW, as one who'll likely be seen as a 'doom monger', I actually lie somewhere in the middle. 

I've been pleasently impressed by Martin and I actually think our transfer business has been pretty decent. Love Downes, Charles looks like he'll be a really solid player and Holgate and Fraser look to be solid, handy, sensible additions. 

I've major concerns that we're selling all of our goals and I don't trust us to replace them. I think we've majorly fucked up in letting Piroe go to Leeds and I think we'll end up with some no mark for more than we would have paid for him anyway. Which'll cost us promotion. 

Personally, i'm not expecting us to get promotion this year, I think that'll go to Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds. 

I have to say i share your feelings. I said to several mates at the start of the season that i expected us to finish mid table this season. We basically announced at the start of the season that every player was available so long as we got our price. Not once have we said "XYZ will not be sold whatever the bid, we are building a promotion winning side with these players"

I'm not impressed by these loan players and not impressed with the lack of a quality striker coming in when we will almost certainly lose Che before the window slams shut.

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Too early to assess that. Ipswich were mightily lucky at QPR to get anything from the game. Leicester seem to have the squad, but so do we.

Piroe is a really odd one, first we were told he had signed a new contract, ,then we were supposedly getting him before Leeds got him for 12m!!

It will be meltdown on here if he starts scoring! I think not buying Piroe will be a problem for us if Che goes. 

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I'm not impressed by these loan players and not impressed with the lack of a quality striker coming in when we will almost certainly lose Che before the window slams shut.

I think we need to see what they do before we write them off. Both have been decent in the past and may rekindle their quality under a different regime. look at how Sterling has done since Poch has been there.

Whether a loan player gives it all is another thing, will it mean much to them getting promotion if they know they wont bear the fruit of it

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

I think we need to see what they do before we write them off. Both have been decent in the past and may rekindle their quality under a different regime. look at how Sterling has done since Poch has been there.

Whether a loan player gives it all is another thing, will it mean much to them getting promotion if they know they wont bear the fruit of it

Both players will absolutely keen to come in and impress. 

If they do we have 2 very very good players, I'd wager by the end of the season all rhe teams in this league would love to have them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I take it you missed the post where the Mason Holgate signing was revealed by the CoT? As I mentioned we cannot say too much openly but if you check the posting history of one of our senior members they told the forum that the new centre back would “point” to “building a much stronger defence wall” something a professional Mason would do. they also said the defence was currently “as soft as toffee” in another post, revealing the club we would sign him from. As I said, you need to look closer

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I take it you missed the post where the Mason Holgate signing was revealed by the CoT? As I mentioned we cannot say too much openly but if you check the posting history of one of our senior members they told the forum that the new centre back would “point” to “building a much stronger defence wall” something a professional Mason would do. they also said the defence was currently “as soft as toffee” in another post, revealing the club we would sign him from. As I said, you need to look closer

I mentioned Mason Holgate bloody ages ago... You can ask Davefizzy and hypochondriac who both PMd me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

£30m would be a very decent price for Sulemana but fucking hell put your foot down on somebody.

Alcaraz is going to change his mind on sticking around seeing every bit of quality around him being let out the door.

Where has this 'quality' been hiding?  We desperately needed it last season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Blimey, £30m! Fair play Wilcox!

On the flip side where have Everton suddenly got money from? Rumoured to have bid £30m on Beto and now £22m on Sully. Yet, they couldn't afford more than £5m up front for Che...

Edited by Saint Scott

4 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

On the flip side where have Everton suddenly got money from? Rumoured to have bid £30m on Beto and now £22m on Sully. Yes, they couldn't afford more than £5m up front for Che...

The offer might've been weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Its great news isn't it!! Another £30m (which realistically we'll end up selling for about £25), in Sport Republics pocket to help fund that Turkish sides stadium improvements. 

With Tella, Che and Sulemana gone we're going to have an amazing attack of bang average players who work hard! Who needs match winners anyway, massively overrated! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

On the flip side where have Everton suddenly got money from? Rumoured to have bid £30m on Beto and now £22m on Sully. Yet, they couldn't afford more than £5m up front for Che...

Fair play for what? He hasn’t got £30m yet, he’s just rejected a lower bid

• Haha 1