Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

Exactly this.  When he gets us fees for flogging the likes of Lyanco, Djenepo and Tall Paul I might indulge him in some back-slapping.  Until then, he's flogged our most saleable assets and not used his supposed "book of world class contacts" to bring in anyone of note, other than Charles.

As things stand we'll be paying those players millions to rarely, if ever, play them. They'll go, and just getting them off our wage bill will have a financial boost for us. Sometimes it's a case of cutting losses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Appy said:

Ryan Fraser

He's had a strange career really. Was absolutely flying a few years back when at Bournemouth under Howe, but then decided to down tool in and around the time where his contract was up and was being linked to top 6 clubs. 

Ended up at Newcastle, where Howe followed him and never really trusted him again after he downed tools.

In short, not a terrible deal, not a great deal. A bit like the Holgate one for me. 

34 minutes ago, Appy said:

We’ve brought it a fair whack, but you’d be surprised if the club have even got half of that £130m just yet, with the amount of instalments etc. 

But presumably, by the same token, we only have to pay instalments for players we sign - or are we somehow treated differently?

34 minutes ago, Appy said:

We’ve brought it a fair whack, but you’d be surprised if the club have even got half of that £130m just yet, with the amount of instalments etc. 

But presumably, by the same token, we only have to pay instalments for players we sign - or are we somehow treated differently?

Can you loan an entire first XI? Going to have a serious rebuild on our hands if we go up and these loans go back...

Especially if Fraser coming in is a pathway for selling Tella. Hope Holgate isn't linked to Che either.

Edited by James

Just now, James said:

Can you loan an entire first XI? Going to have a serious rebuild on our hands if we go up and these loans go back...

Why? If anything it helps us? 

Get us out of the division, no commitment for players who aren't good enough to step up, buy players who are. 

It's a sensible approach imo. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

Two players who should be more than capable in the Championship, on loan.

Not much to get too upset about.

Exactly how I see it. 

My biggest concern is up top. That's where we need to get it right. 

• Like 3

People wanted experience, that’s what we’re getting. Not a fan of either, but I guess as loan deals it’s not a bad thing as they both need to prove themselves to secure their future somewhere as neither are wanted by their parent club any time soon. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is worse than being sh*t, at least Moi and Walcott triedand wanted to be on the pitch.

Yes, you did get Orsic wrong. I though Mara and Aribo would be decent signings and what we were missing up front. Turns out none of us are infallible in our opinions and predictions, so maybe ease off on the sarcastic comments about what 'the forum experts' believe?

My point on Orsic wasn’t what you’re making it out to be. We were desperate needed to improve the squad and the club had identified Orsic as someone who they felt  could do that. We then dicked around over a couple of million Peanuts in premier league terms. The fact the signing didn’t work out is a different one to this. 

Edited by Turkish

I think it’s becoming all too clear how urgently the club needs to cut its cloth - there’s no huge warchest waiting for Wilcox to blow. The squad is is so bloated with poor signings, if they continue to hang on they’ll be like lead weights around our proverbial ankles dragging us down into the murky depths. That’s why I’m surprised at the Holgate and to a lesser extent Fraser signings (if true)….they strike me as further mediocre squad players no better than some of the dross stinking out the place these last few months. There’s no indication (yet) that we’re signing 1st team starters to actually improve the team and there’s too many obstinate sub-quality players on the books still.

In short, the signs are not positive, however if Che decides to stay then we may be OK.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

There would be serious rebuild if we went up anyway. 
let’s be honest we were shite when we were last there in the premier league. 
We’ve pretty much gotten rid of anyone that could even slightly perform in the PL. 

I wouldn’t want any of the current incumbents anywhere near our squad if we gained promotion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Why? If anything it helps us? 

Get us out of the division, no commitment for players who aren't good enough to step up, buy players who are. 

It's a sensible approach imo. 

Loans still cost us in fees and wages. If we go up then we have a serious rebuild and if we don't these guys go back and leave a big hole, especially if loaning Fraser is as a replacement for selling Tella. 

Did Fraser and Martin play together for Scotland?

Blackmore saying Fraser more likely done in time to feature tomorrow, Holgate less likely.

I gather he'd displace Edozie in the starting line up and should be a good option in this division. The loans make sense to me as they're perfectly effective at this level and if we go up we'd be looking to upgrade. 

Lets hope Sully is off rather than Tella

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not even that bothered about Paintsil

Wonder if Genk still want to take Onuachu

I don't recall anyone being particularly excited by Paintsil. Probably still reeling from the last mistake we'd bought from them...

tbf though, Championship could be Onuachu's level in the English pyramid. We've not seen him yet so hard to say. I suppose we can infer from RM's decision to not play him, that he's probably still not be good enough.

On the striker front, I reckon we'll see a better contribution from the attacking midfield this season anyway. Both Armstrong's, Alcaraz and Tella (and to a lesser extent Edozie) haven't exactly been shot-shy from outside the box or just inside. And we currently seem very capable of working ourselves up to that part of the pitch in the current system. Often requires a bit of good fortune for them to go in, but it feels to me like there'll be a few games this season where we'll get two/three from outside the box and others where we'll get none.

2 minutes ago, saint lard said:

There would be serious rebuild if we went up anyway. 
let’s be honest we were shite when we were last there in the premier league. 
We’ve pretty much gotten rid of anyone that could even slightly perform in the PL. 

I wouldn’t want any of the current incumbents anywhere near our squad if we gained promotion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You wouldn’t want Sam AA or Charles or Tella ? Odd really think they will be more than capable 

Year of Injury for Fraser will mean he'll want game time to get back into the Scotland Squad, Strike up a decent partnership up with McAdams and Scotland are flying.

Potential group rate flights for Adams, Fraser and S. Armstrong up to Hampden.

Just now, goodymatt said:

Ryan Fraser and Mason Holgate loans give me Ainsley Maitland-Niles vibes. Overpaid PL players that flatter to deceive. 

Dropping down a level might make them useful but I am concerned about their wages and motivation. 

Agreed. These are the kind of players I would expect a Stoke or Norwich or West Brom to sign. If Leicester had gotten them I wouldn't have batted an eye and that says it all. Not the type of quality for a team aiming for Top 2 (which maybe we now aren't).

• Confused 1

Ryan Fraser and Mason Holgate loans give me Ainsley Maitland-Niles vibes. Overpaid PL players that flatter to deceive. 

Dropping down a level might make them useful but I am concerned about their wages and motivation. 

Agree. Hearing Holgate close, you have to hope that our scouting is better than previous in these circumstances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Signing Fraser pretty much confirms that one of Tella/Sulamana will be off then. Absolutely no need to ‘strengthen’ that area otherwise. And I use the word strengthen loosely. 

I can’t see Sulemana being here past the window

• Like 1

TBF Holgate did drop down to play with West Brom and did OK(ish) from what I can gather.

Not sure about Ryan Fraser - seems to have stagnated the last couple of seasons and attitude wise is the only person to have pissed off "nicest man in football" Eddie Howe.  Clearly either or both Sulemana and Tella are off in order for us to get Fraser in which is a shame.

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Exactly. 

Fraser’s downing tools at Bournemouth stands out in his career for me. Think he’s able, but clearly has to be motivated.

Holgate, not sure he’s better than what we have, and not really the standard I’d hope we’d look for even in the Championship. I know some will point to him having done okay at WBA on loan, but I think that was 2019. Been shit since as far as I’ve read. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Signing Fraser pretty much confirms that one of Tella/Sulamana will be off then. Absolutely no need to ‘strengthen’ that area otherwise. And I use the word strengthen loosely. 

If we only lose 1 of them, is it actually all that bad?

Personally of the 2 I'd rather we sold Tella than Sulamana, who I think will rip this league apart and has higher potential, but if we've managed to cope to date without him so selling him and keeping Tella isn't a terrible thought. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Exactly. 

Fraser’s downing tools at Bournemouth stands out in his career for me. Think he’s able, but clearly has to be motivated.

Holgate, not sure he’s better than what we have, and not really the standard I’d hope we’d look for even in the Championship. I know some will point to him having done okay at WBA on loan, but I think that was 2019. Been shit since as far as I’ve read. 

Holgate isn’t worse than Lyanco is he?

Trying to think from a positive angle here. Are these new loan players that need to rebuild their careers and coming in as competition. Using loan system to avoid having to sell the starters like Tella? Rather than spend on their replacements?

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Exactly. 

Is downing tools actually a correct term for it? If I remember rightly, he refused to extend his contract to finish the season post covid. For which, he had no obligation to do btw. 

At the time he had interest from some big clubs and didn't want to risk an injury to jeopardise that move. It'd piss me off as a fan, but I get why he would do it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fingers crossed he’s either 3rd choice or seriously benefits from the drop in a league because Holgate is a truly shit signing.

Just good that it’s only a loan and we’re lumbered with him for one year.

My brother is an Everton fan. According to him he was poor when loaned to West Brom in the championship. Reckons League One is more his level... 

Fraser's a decent enough player.  He was starting to look OK at Newcastle under Howe before they fell out again and Newcastle started spending some money.

Certainly a better option than persisting with Edozie who needs to take a step back and gain some experience affecting games from off the bench.  Not really done anything yet to warrant a starting position.  Concern for him is even as an impact sub, that Amo-Ameyaw looks miles more dangerous.

• Like 5

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Did Fraser "down tools"? As I remember, his contract ran out in the June, football returned following the covid break and he refused to play out of contract or sign a new one for 10 games.

yep - exactly how I remember it. 

Not great, I do get that, but I understand why he might make that choice - certainly didn't 'down tools'

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think it’s becoming all too clear how urgently the club needs to cut its cloth - there’s no huge warchest waiting for Wilcox to blow. The squad is is so bloated with poor signings, if they continue to hang on they’ll be like lead weights around our proverbial ankles dragging us down into the murky depths. That’s why I’m surprised at the Holgate and to a lesser extent Fraser signings (if true)….they strike me as further mediocre squad players no better than some of the dross stinking out the place these last few months. There’s no indication (yet) that we’re signing 1st team starters to actually improve the team and there’s too many obstinate sub-quality players on the books still.

In short, the signs are not positive, however if Che decides to stay then we may be OK.

I think Fraser will be a definite starter assuming his attitude is right. Still only 28 so, if he can recreate his best form, he'll walk into our side. Should be chomping at the bit because he's never had many opportunities at Newcastle and probably joined them at the wrong time. Not so sure about Holgate but will reserve judgement.

• Like 1

I've just written a few posts up that we need to realign our expectation now we're a Championship club but Ryan Fraser is not a good signing. A proven disruptive influence in the dressing room and potentially blocking the pathway of a younger player. Maybe SR do want to recoup as much money as possible and think they can Rasmus a promotion push on the cheap. Idk. I'm not filled with confidence but it really really does hang on who stays now rather than who comes in. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ekelund said:

Fraser in, Aribo out?

Good shout. I keep forgetting all about Aribo. 

Not sure what's worse, his appetite to work hard or his hairline. Lets hope he's one we can shift before the window closes. 

Ryan Fraser is a big no from me.

He will be a toxic signing for most fans which is reason enough not to sign him - even more so if he replaces Tella.  

He is too small for English football and 5ft4 - and he relied on his pace which has probably gone now he's 29.  Pus his attitude stinks and he played for a Bournemouth team that seemed to hate us for some odd reason.

The only light in this tunnel is Sulemana is off and we are cashing in on him before other people realise he's another Djneppo.  

Even then I'd rather rely on one of the youth team over Fraser.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1