Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I would be less than happy if we end up we end up selling Adams and signing Shankland - the definition of a journeyman footballer - from the Scottish Premier League which is equivalent to League 1 at best.

it’s alright signing potential from there in the form of a young player but not a 28 year old.  I’d take a risk on Duk for example but not as our main striker.

does Stu count as young when signed him? Van Dijk certainly did.

no more Aribos or McCann’s please.

I don’t get the Sulemana appreciation - he’s scored one wonder goal  - but so has Djneppo.  His track record and end product are terrible.

While I agree with pretty much everything you write, we did sign a classic journeyman footballer in Rickie Lambert when he was 27 and we were in League 1; he subsequently went on to have a couple of successful seasons in the Premiership and go on to play for England.  Even someone like Jamie Vardy wasn't really successful in the Premiership until he was 28. Sometimes you get late starters. 

We also had Lee Barnard and Billy Sharpe who helped get us promoted through the leagues, even though they were never of the quality to be a starter in the Premiership (or Championship, for Barnard).  Maybe someone like Shankland could offer good value on a short term basis and help get us promoted.  I have only seen the videos so nothing to go on other than he scores a load of goals.   However, wouldn't want someone like him to be our main striker if Che goes and to replace him we should be aiming for someone with both more quality and potential - easier to write than procure though ........... 

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed. My only point was that I expect us to be a bit further down the line with our strengthening in key areas. It hasn't been a disaster because we've continued to get results but it is making me nervous about if we will bring in enough by next Friday. 

Seen you say this before, and this is a genuine question, where do you think we’re so deficient?

32 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I would be less than happy if we end up we end up selling Adams and signing Shankland - the definition of a journeyman footballer - from the Scottish Premier League which is equivalent to League 1 at best.

it’s alright signing potential from there in the form of a young player but not a 28 year old.  I’d take a risk on Duk for example but not as our main striker.

does Stu count as young when signed him? Van Dijk certainly did.

no more Aribos or McCann’s please.

I don’t get the Sulemana appreciation - he’s scored one wonder goal  - but so has Djneppo.  His track record and end product are terrible.

As per my post last night a good mate of mine and a football coach at a English club and a big hearts fan told me Shankland is decent enough in Scotland and knows where the goal his but his touch and movement  leave a lot to be desired, which is why at 28 and with a great goal scoring record in Scotland no one in England has gone for him. Honestly he sounds like the Scottish TP

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely surprised we seemingly haven't challenged for this. If we lose Adams there's going to be a heck of a lot of disappointment. 

I said it before but Martin went out of his way to talk up Armstrong and his qualities being like Piroe nearly a month ago now. He's not a similar player to Che Adams at all and so I don't think we've ever been interested in having Piroe and Armstrong. You wouldn't talk up Armstrongs qualities like that only to bring in the person you've compared him to. Was never realistically on the cards for me. Need a different striker if Che goes.

Southampton manager Martin makes Piroe comparison on Armstrong role | Daily Echo

• Like 2

I can't imagine that Russell didn't want Piroe, why wouldn't you want the guy that scored 40 odd goals in two seasons for you. 

I can only think this is a Sport Republic choice not to go for him. Resell value etc.

Sometimes you have to buy proven players and not think about their potential value in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

I can't imagine that Russell didn't want Piroe, why wouldn't you want the guy that scored 40 odd goals in two seasons for you. 

I can only think this is a Sport Republic choice not to go for him. Resell value etc.

Sometimes you have to buy proven players and not think about their potential value in a couple of years. 

He's still relatively young at 24, so I very much doubt that comes into it.

He turned 24 about two weeks ago, he’s younger than Tella. If he was good, resale value would be there. Maybe they don’t think he’s good enough for us? Or maybe we just cannot do anything at all until Che/Paul leave.

Who says that didn't go for him?

Not getting a player, doesn't mean that we didn't try to.

Just now, egg said:

Who says that didn't go for him?

Not getting a player, doesn't mean that we didn't try to.

It's been reported that we didn't even send an offer for him. Maybe like others have said, our hands are tied with Che and Tall Paul still on the wage bill. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As per my post last night a good mate of mine and a football coach at a English club told me Shankland is decent enough in Scotland and knows where the goal his but his touch and movement  leave a lot to be desired, which is why at 28 and with a great goal scoring record in Scotland no one in England has gone for him. Honestly he sounds like the Scottish TP

He has scored loads of goals in the Scottish League 1 and Scottish Championship, but not in the Scottish Premiership, until last season. The season prior to that one, he struggled to score goals in the Belgium top flight. This is probably the first summer that English clubs will have looked at him as an option. 

For me, in the videos I've watched, he looks very confident and composed, but not ruthless. I'm not convinced he is the man, but we're in the championship now, so all targets are going to have question marks. 

Wish there were a few more options than Piroe, him and Duk. 

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Seen you say this before, and this is a genuine question, where do you think we’re so deficient?

Without departures I think we still need a CB. Lyanco is crap and ABK will probably be injured for most of the season (if he somehow stays) 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Without departures I think we still need a CB. Lyanco is crap and ABK will probably be injured for most of the season (if he somehow stays) 

CB is the one place I’d agree, although if we go further into the season with Bednarek and Stephens as starters, I still think that’s pretty decent for this level. Can’t see much else where we’re missing unless we lose players, and if we do that the club have said there will be replacements. 

9 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I think it's because having Adams, Armstrong & Piroe is too much for a Championship side with Mara & Ballard waiting in the wings plus trying to offload Big Paul.  It's a good sign that Adams seems to be staying like I mentioned a few days ago.  He's still worth more to us than others and there's now no obvious replacement which RM indicated there had to be.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The pressure on sports Republic ramps up a tad. Real pressure on them to make the right calls this week and not weaken us. 

Yup. 

Not that there aren't other strikers in the world, but Archer and Piroe were the two "safe" options that have good records at this level and the former being very familiar with the system as well. They were probably the two signings we could make where no fans would bat an eyelid about selling Che and replacing him with them.

I really hope it's a case that we're confident with Che's future so didn't feel the need to go for Piroe, rather than us not actually being capable until his future is confirmed. That's completely playing with fire going into the final week.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Really warped logic to be honest. 

Good businessmen know that the fortune comes from being in the PL - the model of buy the best young talent and sell for a profit only really works in the PL. If we hang around in the Championship for too long then their investment is up in smoke and they'll be losing money every week with no talent to recoup on, as good young players won't want to join an also-ran in the Championship.

With respect I think you are being naive. You are viewing things through the eyes of a fan crossing his fingers hoping that the owners have the club’s football interest to the forefront of their modus operandi. We are owned by a Serbian media tycoon. He has no allegiance to southampton FC (no matter how desperate you are to think otherwise) so he will manipulate us according to see how he thinks it’s best to make money. Fans are labouring under delusion if they think SR are in it to make us better. No they are in it to bolster their bank balance. Sorry. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CampionSaint said:

I think it's because having Adams, Armstrong & Piroe is too much for a Championship side with Mara & Ballard waiting in the wings plus trying to offload Big Paul.  It's a good sign that Adams seems to be staying like I mentioned a few days ago.  He's still worth more to us than others and there's now no obvious replacement which RM indicated there had to be.

If we go into the season with Adams and Armstrong I'd be happy. I was sceptical when we came down as they're not PL level, but look more than capable in the Championship.

Personally I'd get rid of Mara and give Dom his place. 

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yup. 

Not that there aren't other strikers in the world, but Archer and Piroe were the two "safe" options that have good records at this level and the former being very familiar with the system as well. They were probably the two signings we could make where no fans would bat an eyelid about selling Che and replacing him with them.

I really hope it's a case that we're confident with Che's future so didn't feel the need to go for Piroe, rather than us not actually being capable until his future is confirmed. That's completely playing with fire going into the final week.

I think if we have confidence in keeping Che, they could sell that to the fan base if we don't bring anyone else in. Any other scenario is going to have fans asking why we didn't go with Piroe and it's going to be a big risk to bring anyone else I'm if they aren't as effective. Keeping Adams now a must for me. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Dont know much about him, so not really bothered. The link just seemed a bit too obvious, same as Grimes. But it appears we didnt pursue either. 

Will be interesting if Adams leaves - can see somebody throwing us 18m in a panic in the last day of the window and then who do we go for

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

With respect I think you are being naive. You are viewing things through the eyes of a fan crossing his fingers hoping that the owners have the club’s football interest to the forefront of their modus operandi. We are owned by a Serbian media tycoon. He has no allegiance to southampton FC (no matter how desperate you are to think otherwise) so he will manipulate us according to see how he thinks it’s best to make money. Fans are labouring under delusion if they think SR are in it to make us better. No they are in it to bolster their bank balance. Sorry. 

Yes, a Serbian billionaire bought a football club for £180m, with a £80m covid debt already on it, pumped in a further £160m on player acquisition in his first full year of ownership and then got relegated and lost £200m in revenue - and it's solely been to boost his bank balance. Stacks up.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Again, how is us being in the Championship bolstering their bank balance?

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Surely if we wanted him we'd have signed him? Not to be arrogant: but with the RM connection.

Unless we don't want to spend any ££?

We may have sounded out Swansea but been told not to bother with an offer. Who knows. 

It may also be that RM likes the idea of AA through the middle, with Tella, and Sulemana as alternatives. 

Regardless, in the Wilcox era, SR have got it right. Last season I'd have been sure they'd feck it up. This season I've got faith they'll get it right. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

......the "best way to be make money" is get promoted.

"No matter how desperate you are to think otherwise", that is the objective.

I dont really know why you're tying yourself in knots trying to pretend that yeah but no but yeah but no but they're businessmen and it's all an "illusion", well it's clearly not. 

They've pumped in hundreds of millions to stay in the Championship? Sure they have.

Right now, today, this season, the objective is to get promoted.

You can be pessimistic if you like but that doesn't mean you have some greater knowledge than other people and only you can see through the "delusion". You can't, you're just pissed off because Leeds signed a striker.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

Just now, egg said:

We may have sounded out Swansea but been told not to bother with an offer. Who knows. 

It may also be that RM likes the idea of AA through the middle, with Tella, and Sulemana as alternatives. 

Regardless, in the Wilcox era, SR have got it right. Last season I'd have been sure they'd feck it up. This season I've got faith they'll get it right. 

I'm persuaded by actions not words. They have a week to win trust and to back up their impressive words. There's a lot riding on this week. 

11 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

If this were an accurate reflection on how they actually think about their ownership of the club they're fucking idiots. I don't believe that SR are idiots.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm persuaded by actions not words. They have a week to win trust and to back up their impressive words. There's a lot riding on this week. 

Ditto. Their actions since relegation has been to drag in cash to cover off much of the waste from the last window;  brought in Downes, Charles and Manning, and shifted some players like Orsic who weren't up to it. That's action that's persuaded me that the current regime know what they're doing. There's too much flapping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

yep - agree. maybe one in one out on a couple of players (ABK and Adams) leaves us overall in an ok position. 

Am a bit worried that our first XI looks ok, but after 2-3 subs we look very weak / reliant on untested youngsters. 46 games is a long season if there were an injury crisis.

After 2-3 we look weak… we’re in the Championship mate

And we probably have the best depth in the division 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

He doesn't need to be a fan of Southampton to realise that his best chance of investment return is for us to be a Top Flight team.

If he wants to lose money by the bucket load, he can stay in this league. It's in his business interests for this club to be at the highest level for 1) marketing opportunities, 2) sponsorship opportunities and 3) better access to young talent in order to get those sell-on-fee's.

None of that happens in the Championship.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Ditto. Their actions since relegation has been to drag in cash to cover off much of the waste from the last window;  brought in Downes, Charles and Manning, and shifted some players like Orsic who weren't up to it. That's action that's persuaded me that the current regime know what they're doing. There's too much flapping. 

Selling all our best players - despite getting some good prices-is not something that has persuaded me that we are building a team capable of automatic promotion. Downes, Charles and Manning are decent signings but it's not get enough and certainly not enough if we sell more which it looks like we may do. It's not flapping, it's being realistic about where we are and what they need to do - just like many people were last summer and too many shouted them down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He doesn't need to be a fan of Southampton to realise that his best chance of investment return is for us to be a Top Flight team.

If he wants to lose money by the bucket load, he can stay in this league. It's in his business interests for this club to be at the highest level for 1) marketing opportunities, 2) sponsorship opportunities and 3) better access to young talent in order to get those sell-on-fee's.

None of that happens in the Championship.

He’s bought into a multi club model, not just Southampton.. we’re still purchasing other clubs for that multi club partnership, its simply not effective if the flagship club is in the Championship

People keep forgetting that.. yes they’re probably in it for the profit, but its a long term strategy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

100m I thought.

Yep. At the time of the sake it was reported that £100m bought a 80% stake. It felt like slight guesswork though. It could have been £110m, which would then have matched The Mail story that Dragon took out a £110m loan to buy the club.

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

How many times are you planning on quoting yourself with your obvious "prediction"?

Jesus wept

my comment was aimed in response to someone saying “bollocks did anyone predict this”…so I’d say it’s fair game

in answer to your question, depends how bored I get with people seeming surprised we haven’t spent £50-£100m, or asking where the money has gone - given you asked me to highlight them a few days ago…