Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Hopefully we have this situation under control but, given last season's striker shambles, ill admit I'm getting twitchy. All that cash in for Tino, JWP and Lavia and we've signed one player on loan since. Leaving it until the last week again...some things never change. 

Just now, northam soul said:

It’s ok people as players are queuing to join.

Its a bit like being in the supermarket checkout queue thinking fuck me this old bint is taking forever so you nip in the one next door.

Based on previous I am slightly nervous about the last few days and our inability to sign what we need but it’s going to be drama after drama.

But we don’t need a striker at the moment. We aren’t going to sign Piroe unless we lose Adams, and we haven’t lost Adams yet. 

I realise this could age badly 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worried but can't be annoyed until we see how the next week plays out.

We still have the better player but selling him now without the obvious replacement would be yet another disaster in the attacking department from SR. The issue, like mentioned above, is how easy and obvious an option Che is for a real handful of PL teams going into this final week. There's a good few he'd immediately start for and he's seemingly available pretty cheap. Palace, Everton, Fulham, Wolves...

9 minutes ago, James said:

Hopefully we have this situation under control but, given last season's striker shambles, ill admit I'm getting twitchy. All that cash in for Tino, JWP and Lavia and we've signed one player on loan since. Leaving it until the last week again...some things never change. 

If we don't lose Adams, Tella, Alcaraz, KWP etc then I'm not massively concerned. I'm also fairly confident with Bednarek and Stephens in this league, think they're pretty decent at this level.

Edited by niceandfriendly
they're pretty, and pretty decent

Swansea fans giving it plenty over the weekend that he was signing a new contract.

Swansea were the joint highest scorers last year and one of the worst defences, so interesting the only Swans we are signing/bidding for are, er, defenders.

• Haha 3

Just now, niceandfriendly said:

If we don't lose Adams, Tella, Alcaraz, KWP etc then I'm not massively concerned. I'm also fairly confident with Bednarek and Stephens in this league, think they're pretty at this level.

I agree, no more outgoings from the first choice attacking line and I'm not too fussed about bringing anyone else in. I'd still like to see an improvement at CB (unless we also keep hold of ABK). 

• Like 2

Just now, niceandfriendly said:

If we don't lose Adams, Tella, Alcaraz, KWP etc then I'm not massively concerned. I'm also fairly confident with Bednarek and Stephens in this league, think they're pretty at this level.

Agreed but it's a big if. Surely if our targets are moving on to other clubs we just need to draw a line and say no (especially to Che) but this is Saints and we know they won't do that. After the multiple mentions on the club website of how the fees received would support our rebuild its a bit odd to go into the last week of the window having only gotten a loan in. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I agree, no more outgoings from the first choice attacking line and I'm not too fussed about bringing anyone else in. I'd still like to see an improvement at CB (unless we also keep hold of ABK). 

But will we see more outgoings.... that is the big question and I wouldn't rule it out as that's virtually all we have seen this window

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Swansea fans giving it plenty over the weekend that he was signing a new contract.

Swansea were the joint highest scorers last year and one of the worst defences, so interesting the only Swans we are signing/bidding for are, er, defenders.

Maybe they had one of Europe's highest rated twenty year old keepers. 

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Obviously the one scenario we cannot allow to happen is to sell Che and get no replacement - I'm assuming Wilcox and co are not that daft.

We also assumed Rasmus and co. weren't that daft whilst they continued to tout Che around up to deadline day whilst briefing Blackmore that Gakpo signing was imminent. 

• Like 1

Shame if Piroe goes to Leeds, we're more stable than them at present but hopefully this means either Adams stays or we have another striker lined up. Personally even if Adams stays I think we need a striker as AA is better deeper or wide and Mara and Onuachu have shown nothing so far. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

So we’re missing out on a player there’s literally zero evidence we were ever in for, beyond a bunch of Twitter people making up very, very obvious rumours. Who’d have thought. Lowe out, etc.

Didn't one of the genuine ITKs say that he had heard Piroe was our top target? Thought he posted that as recently as this morning but happy to be corrected. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

So we’re missing out on a player there’s literally zero evidence we were ever in for, beyond a bunch of Twitter people making up very, very obvious rumours. Who’d have thought. Lowe out, etc.

Never would’ve happened under Michael Wilde. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Both players are out of contract next summer and Swansea can't afford to let them go for free. It's a waiting game but we're holding the lube

We’re not really. Until the Che deal gets sorted (or he stays) a Piroe deal will not be discussed and if a Che deal goes through last minute, we could be left holding the shitty end of the stick (i.e. Arma/Mara/Onoachu our strike options). Plus Leeds seem to be all over the deal with a £12m offer accepted allegedly, so our options are starting to get closed down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Appy said:

The club need to be firm and say to the wanted players that if they’re still here Monday/Tuesday they have to stay, we can’t be messing around on deadline day like last year. 

I would say that now to be honest. If no talks or acceptable bids in by Friday, everyone stays that we want to keep hold of. Fringe players and squad fillers, free to still move. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Obviously the one scenario we cannot allow to happen is to sell Che and get no replacement - I'm assuming Wilcox and co are not that daft.

Yeah, I agree.  Everyone will know that a decent striker is the most important part of the jigsaw when it comes to getting promoted and I imagine they'll have worked on the assumption that Che would more than likely be off.  I expect we've got a number of targets in mind and if we can't get them then we don't sell Che.  I'll be bloody glad when the window is closed.

33 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Amongst all this, I've been doing some research on players who might be able to replace Adams, in the event we miss out on Piroe and Che does leave and I have accidentally fallen in love with Tasos Douvakis and will be distraught if we don't sign him...

Personally I do think that there will be a couple of options if the above scenario does play out (ie. losing strikers), but who knows, I guess all will become clear in the coming week..

I see Utrecht want 12-15mil euros for him which is about fair given his goalscoring last year with 19 goals. Only seen highlights of him on TV here but interesting shout.

Edited by Convict Colony

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Fans are nervous and I don't think you can blame us after how we missed out on signing a striker last summer - we're following the form but hoping Wilcox prove there's nothing to worry about. It is very easy to get sucked into a position at the end of the window where you either panic buy or get nobody.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Fans are nervous and I don't think you can blame us after how we missed out on signing a striker last summer - we're following the form but hoping Wilcox prove there's nothing to worry about. It is very easy to get sucked into a position at the end of the window where you either panic buy or get nobody.

Especially if a club other than Everton (I'm assuming they are broke) puts down what we want for Adams at the 11th hour. What do we do then? Continue until January one injury away from having to start Mara or Big Paul? It would kill our season unlike any other departure. You can see why fans are nervous.

If we lost KWP, Tella or Alcaraz last minute and without a replacement then it would be annoying but wouldn't kill our chances. If we lose Che last minute without a replacement then IMO we can kiss goodbye to going up this year.

Edited by James
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Pretty much guaranteed then that Piroe will score a last minute winner on the last day to deny Saints an automatic promotion place. 😁

You can put your house on him scoring against Saints at any point in the season regardless of where he ends up (unless he actually somehow does sign for us which is unlikely now it seems).

7 minutes ago, James said:

Especially if a club other than Everton puts down what we want for Adams at the 11th hour. What do we do then? Continue until January one injury away from having to start Mara or Big Paul? It would kill our season unlike any other departure. You can see why fans are nervous.

If we lost KWP, Tella or Alcaraz last minute and without a replacement then it would be annoying but wouldn't kill our chances. If we lose Che last minute without a replacement then IMO we can kiss goodbye to going up this year.

We would only lose him last minute if we agree to.

Clearly if its not in the interests of the club and we couldn't get a replacement then they wouldn't agree to it.

There are so many variables that really we know nothing about and which move extremely quickly at the end of the transfer window.

We don't know how likely Adams is to move, whether he will take action to try to force a move, where Piroe is on our list of targets, whether we have actually tried to sign him rather than just being interested and if we have why he is seemingly going elsewhere, is it pay, prefers Leeds, Swansea don't want to deal with us etc. The club will know most of these things.

End of the day, if Adams stays we won't be spending upwards of £10m on another striker.

If he goes, and we decide when that is, then he needs to be replaced and the club know that.

Joel Piroe is decent but he isnt the only good striker that we potentially have the chance to buy or loan with 9 days left.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, James said:

Didn't one of the genuine ITKs say that he had heard Piroe was our top target? Thought he posted that as recently as this morning but happy to be corrected. 

That was when Che was on the verge of joining Bournemouth. Which hasn't happened. If we wanted prioe we'd be in for him. We signed Charles and manning early on the basis we couldn't afford to wait, even though we needed outgoings... If we want a player right now we'll be moving for them (given prior sales and improved financial situation).

So I think this is a lot of stress about nothing atm. Ultimatley Che is better than piroe, and if we get promoted (and want to keep him beyond his contract) we likely will... The only time to worry is if we look like selling che without replacing him - unless the board think ballard is ready... Or even mara 😬😬

Edited by Saint86

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Clearly if its not in the interests of the club and we couldn't get a replacement then they wouldn't agree to it.

There are so many variables that really we know nothing about and which move extremely quickly at the end of the transfer window.

We don't know how likely Adams is to move, whether he will take action to try to force a move, where Piroe is on our list of targets, whether we have actually tried to sign him rather than just being interested and if we have why he is seemingly going elsewhere, is it pay, prefers Leeds, Swansea don't want to deal with us etc. The club will know most of these things.

End of the day, if Adams stays we won't be spending upwards of £10m on another striker.

If he goes, and we decide when that is, then he needs to be replaced and the club know that.

Joel Piroe is decent but he isnt the only good striker that we potentially have the chance to buy or loan with 9 days left.

Lots of if`s, but`s and maybe`s but our previous transfer window activities has led to this anxiety amongst the fanbase

Historically we don't seem to have a problem setting up a deal when we are selling but are less than competent when it comes to buying

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Lots of if`s, but`s and maybe`s but our previous transfer window activities has led to this anxiety amongst the fanbase

Historically we don't seem to have a problem setting up a deal when we are selling but are less than competent when it comes to buying

History hasn't nothing to do with this window though. Wilcox and co have moved early for their main targets, and struck good deals for the outgoings. There is no evidence that they'll commit a huge error for our promotion chances. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

History hasn't nothing to do with this window though. Wilcox and co have moved early for their main targets, and struck good deals for the outgoings. 

Would it be a saints window if we aren’t woefully short in a key area though?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's Dell Days little pop at the other Saints fans who have said we are.

The Dulldays responses are that predictable / boring I suspect he's no longer with us and his account has been taken over by a faltering AI bot 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Lets just wait and see what this next week brings.

If we keep all our attacking players the  we have the best attacking force of the league. I'm hugely relaxed.

Speak for yourself, but I'd happily sell onuachu, mara, Aribo, and djenpo 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Selling Che now will be ridiculous, 

Our slow behaviour in this window is becoming very predictable

After the last 2 seasons, why would we expect anything else....

Hopefully its not all hot air from Wilcox and co

It's almost like Che and Piroe are the only two strikers out there capable of scoring goals in the Championship.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

That was when Che was on the verge of joining Bournemouth. Which hasn't happened. If we wanted prioe we'd be in for him. We signed Charles and manning early on the basis we couldn't afford to wait, even though we needed outgoings... If we want a player right now we'll be moving for them (given prior sales and improved financial situation).

So I think this is a lot of stress about nothing atm. Ultimatley Che is better than piroe, and if we get promoted (and want to keep him beyond his contract) we likely will... The only time to worry is if we look like selling che without replacing him - unless the board think ballard is ready... Or even mara 😬😬

There is absolutely no reason why, even more so at that price, we couldn't have the 2 of them (if Che doesn't leave). Piroe going to Leeds not only takes a sensible, obvious replacement for adams away from us, it also strengthens a promotion rival. 

We needed another forward anyway aside from Che we have nothing up top. Che is also very obviously going. 

All wilcox has done this window is managed to shift Lavia for a few extra bob (because of liverpools desperation), yet hes lauded as a hero on here. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully we've given Everton/Che a deadline to agree a move which leaves time for us to find a replacement. Otherwise he stays

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Ohh Dickey boy - Is this the same user who was laughing at everyone of my posts that points out the incompetency of this club all but a week or 2 ago? How things change. 

• Haha 1