Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I thought we were told businesses have to sell if you offer them their valuation of the player.

Yes, that’s exactly what the Swansea manager confirms in the article. He literally says that.

Duff insisted. "There will be a valuation of every player. If it's met, they get sold. That's the food chain. It doesn't matter where you are in the football world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Swansea manager Michael Duff on Joel Piroe's future:

"I don't know if they [Leeds] have tabled a bid or not," he said. "I'm the same as everyone else. Things will happen quickly at this stage of the window now, because they have to. If the board and Paul (Watson) make that decision, we'll react to it. So as far as I'm aware, it's a no at the minute.

But I don't know if anything's happened or anything's happening. Obvious it's first thing on Thursday, so I've not met any of the players or anything like that yet.

"There's a week left. There's one game left between now and when the window shuts. So one way or the other there's going to be clarity anyway.

"It's not ideal that it's rumbling on this long, no. But I'm not in control of that part of it."

"That'll be the outcome over the next week," he added. "I imagine he'll either sign a deal or he'll be sold. I don't envisage the club letting him run his contract down, because I don't think it would make economic sense.

"There has been conversations with Joel. It's not a case of 'I'm not signing a contract'. There has been a dialogue between the club, his agent, and Joel. Where that's at, I don't know."

"I've had conversations with him saying that I'd like him to stay. The club have been in dialogue with him. But until there's a decision made one way or the other, and it moves fast. Over the off-season and during the early parts of pre-season, it's prolonged and it takes a bit of time.

"But when you get to this. He might come in this morning saying he's signed the contract, and he might come in and say he's driving up the road somewhere.

“I’m the same as everyone else, I’m just waiting for those decisions to be made.”

Edited by CSA96

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Looks like Swansea have us over a barrel with a large tub of lube at hand with Wood and Piroe. No surprise really given our raid on their Management team and the nature of our transfer business (big pot from JWP and Lavia deals waiting to be raided).

Both players are out of contract next summer and Swansea can't afford to let them go for free. It's a waiting game but we're holding the lube

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Both players are out of contract next summer and Swansea can't afford to let them go for free. It's a waiting game but we're holding the lube

Agree with this. I doubt Swansea are in the driving seat at all really. If we offer £15m or so for Piroe or Wood then they will come to us. 

• Like 1

Just now, SaintLondon said:

Leeds agreed £12m deal for Piroe 

I wonder where this leaves us - I can see a couple of scenarios playing out here: 

Either Everton have been totally screwed over by this MSP thing, and can't afford Che anymore

OR

Che goes, Piroe goes to Leeds and we sign a slightly more left field striker like that bloke from the SPL, or Van Hugedonk from Herenveen

OR

Board have learnt 0 lessons and we end up without a new striker at all

OR

Mail is BS and we get Piroe

What do we reckon? 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Looks like Swansea have us over a barrel with a large tub of lube at hand with Wood and Piroe. No surprise really given our raid on their Management team and the nature of our transfer business (big pot from JWP and Lavia deals waiting to be raided).

You mean they can’t just bend over and take the first offer instead of pushing for a valuation they’re happy with ?

I wondered if it was Swansea trying to smoke out more bidders. By all accounts there's more than one interested party for Piroe and there's still time to go before the window shuts. The wording of that story being 'are closing in' is interesting too, rather than it just being reported as being done and the player doing a medical.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but if I was Swansea, that's what I'd be doing and trying to draw the other bidders out as soon as Leeds made a formal approach. Maybe they just really don't want to do business with us and are happy to accept £12m from Leeds instead (but it feels like they could get more...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It really makes no sense for him to go to Leeds without us bidding unless we've been told not to bother by Swansea or we aren't really interested. 

Or we can't/don't need to because Adams move has fallen apart.

If Adams doesn't move then we don't need Piroe.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

Just now, Dusic said:

Or we can't because Adams move has fallen apart.

Very true. But you can see a situation where we continue to sell our remaining prized assets AND miss out on the players who have been 'waiting to join us'.

Either way, just a week or so to go.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It really makes no sense for him to go to Leeds without us bidding unless we've been told not to bother by Swansea or we aren't really interested. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Or they're refusing to sell him to us

I can’t for the life of me see Swansea refusing to sell to us out of spite, if that’s what’s being implied. They’ll want as many bidders as possible competing, like we had with Lavia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Or we can't/don't need to because Adams move has fallen apart.

If Adams doesn’t move I don’t think we can afford Piroe.

Would be great to get some cash in for Tall Paul and then make the Piroe deal happen, but that’s pretty wishful thinking on my behalf.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Or they're refusing to sell him to us

Swansea won't care who they sell to as long as they get the best fee. Just because we poached their manager, they won't just refuse to deal with us again out of spite if it means losing out on £millions. 

What's more likely is that the player has already signalled through his agent that, for whatever reason, he doesn't want to come to us. Maybe Leeds are offering better personal terms than we would have, or maybe he didn't get on with Martin and doesn't want to play under him again. Who knows.

If we really wanted him, and he really wants to come to us, then I'm sure we would be able to beat Leeds' offer, but I guess it all hinges on Che leaving first.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t for the life of me see Swansea refusing to sell to us out of spite, if that’s what’s being implied. They’ll want as many bidders as possible competing, like we had with Lavia.

Bit weird if it's true and they've accepted 12 million. You would think they'd be able to get significantly more than that. 

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Where is the evidence we are stinking rich?

It is odd that fans just dont get that we well overspent last year and have lost massive income and still think we are rich. In my opinion the owners are wealthy but not stinking rich and cant sanction spending that is not sustainable. How much free cash has Solak??? I suggest it is mainly on paper not free to spend

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Bit weird if it's true and they've accepted 12 million. You would think they'd be able to get significantly more than that. 

I’m not so sure. From most reports, he seems a bit like Rasiak, good at finding the next at this level but doesn’t have many other attributes that’ll trouble PL defenders. If this is his level, £12-15m is probably about right. £15-20m seems to be the going rate for a player who might be able to step up a league.

• Like 1

Just now, OldNick said:

It is odd that fans just dont get that we well overspent last year and have lost massive income and still think we are rich. In my opinion the owners are wealthy but not stinking rich and cant sanction spending that is not sustainable. How much free cash has Solak??? I suggest it is mainly on paper not free to spend

Yeah, very true. We spent loads last summer, spent more in January to try and dig ourselves out of a hole and we still have the Covid debt to clear. We've made a lot in transfer fees this window but the drop in revenue is also very steep.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This would be absolute nonsense tbh. If we want Piroe and he wants to move to us, then Swansea would have no sensible choice other than to accept our offer. He's leaving them for free next summer, which for a championship team with Swansea's income would be economic stupidity. They really are in quite a weak position.

Also, i'm quite happy to keep Che tbh. 3 goals in 3 games... Easily on course for 20+ goals this year, and if we get promoted he will probably sign an extension.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Genuinely, if we wanted him, there was room in the squad, Swansea were willing to accept our offer, and he wanted to come to us, he'd be here. 

I would say one of those 4 things isn't true, and so it's not happening at the moment. It may mean we miss out on him, but them's the breaks.

How good actually is he as well? When in the Prem I'd never heard of him, and Prem teams are clearly not interested even at that low price. Only had 17 goals last season from open play in 43 games (same amount as Tella) and 21 in 45 the year before. I've seen a lot of talk of a 30 goal per season striker - Piroe is not that in my opinion, but I may be wrong. 

At the moment, from the sales and purchases over the Summer so far, I'm happy to give Wilcox et al the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing. 

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Part of the reason I wasn't keen on the sell before buying mantra is that it inevitably means clubs ask us for higher prices. 

Fear not lads, the always reliable football insider has said we’re putting in a double bid for Piroe and Wood that will “blow Leeds out of the water”.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-southampton-submitting-joint-bid-for-joel-piroe-and-swansea-teammate-to-blow-leeds-united-out-of-the-water/

That’s definitely him off to Leeds then…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amongst all this, I've been doing some research on players who might be able to replace Adams, in the event we miss out on Piroe and Che does leave and I have accidentally fallen in love with Tasos Douvakis and will be distraught if we don't sign him...

Personally I do think that there will be a couple of options if the above scenario does play out (ie. losing strikers), but who knows, I guess all will become clear in the coming week..

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not so sure. From most reports, he seems a bit like Rasiak, good at finding the next at this level but doesn’t have many other attributes that’ll trouble PL defenders. If this is his level, £12-15m is probably about right. £15-20m seems to be the going rate for a player who might be able to step up a league.

Like Che?

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Selling Che now will make me a fair bit more nervous. 

Selling Che now will be ridiculous, 

Our slow behaviour in this window is becoming very predictable

After the last 2 seasons, why would we expect anything else....

Hopefully its not all hot air from Wilcox and co

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

It’s ok people as players are queuing to join.

Its a bit like being in the supermarket checkout queue thinking fuck me this old bint is taking forever so you nip in the one next door.

Based on previous I am slightly nervous about the last few days and our inability to sign what we need but it’s going to be drama after drama.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2