Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Alex Crook (yes, I know 🙄) was saying this morning he thinks Che is holding out for another club to come in for him.

This may not end well for us.

We should try and gazump the Piroe deal if he is our first choice.  So what if we end up getting a million or 2 less for Che.  

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, saintant said:

Obviously the one scenario we cannot allow to happen is to sell Che and get no replacement - I'm assuming Wilcox and co are not that daft.

Thats a big assumption right there. 

its obvious someone other than Everton will come in with 48 hours of the window left and we will be left scrabbling around for an overpriced underwhelming replacement after all our targets have got bored of waiting for us to make our move.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Alex Crook (yes, I know 🙄) was saying this morning he thinks Che is holding out for another club to come in for him.

This may not end well for us.

He'll go to Bournemouth - I'm almost certain of it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Thats a big assumption right there. 

its obvious someone other than Everton will come in with 48 hours of the window left and we will be left scrabbling around for an overpriced underwhelming replacement after all our targets have got bored of waiting for us to make our move.

We brought in Shea Charles for relatively big money, in advance of expected departures and at a time when centre mid wasn't really a position of need so hopefully a replacement striker is being worked up on the same basis. The more I think about it, the stranger the Charles signing is. We haven't spent much (anything) other than the fee we paid for him. Given we've signed Downes and seem a bit reluctant to spend money elsewhere I wonder why we prioritized it so much. He looks good so far but just a bit odd in context of our other dealings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

Could see that. West Ham overpay for Solanke and suddenly Che looks like a bargain for Bournemouth. 

Wolves could be one to watch too, if they cash in on Nunes to Man City in the final week of the window. And by all accounts, Palace are still looking for a striker and were looking at Archer.

Just now, James said:

We brought in Shea Charles for relatively big money, in advance of expected departures and at a time when centre mid wasn't really a position of need so hopefully a replacement striker is being worked up on the same basis. The more I think about it, the stranger the Charles signing is. We haven't spent much (anything) other than the fee we paid for him. Given we've signed Downes and seem a bit reluctant to spend money elsewhere I wonder why we prioritized it so much. He looks good so far but just a bit odd in context of our other dealings. 

The words of Russell Martin last week, from TalkSport:

“I love Che as a player and a person, he’s fantastic and will be huge for us if we can keep him. I don’t know about the talks being ongoing, I’ll talk to Jason Wilcox tonight.

“I’d love to keep him. If we don’t, we need to replace him. It’s that simple.”

• Like 1

I would imagine that we knew Lavia wouldn't play a game in the champ and probably assumed that JWP would be gone sooner than he was. 

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

The words of Russell Martin last week, from TalkSport:

“I love Che as a player and a person, he’s fantastic and will be huge for us if we can keep him. I don’t know about the talks being ongoing, I’ll talk to Jason Wilcox tonight.

“I’d love to keep him. If we don’t, we need to replace him. It’s that simple.”

Yup. I'm sure that's the intention too.

Concern is if it looks as though he might stay but we get a deadline day bid and then are left scrambling. Wouldn't read too much into what Martin says - he also admitted pre-Plymouth he didn't know what was going on...

• Like 1

Yup. I'm sure that's the intention too.

Concern is if it looks as though he might stay but we get a deadline day bid and then are left scrambling. Wouldn't read too much into what Martin says - he also admitted pre-Plymouth he didn't know what was going on...

I’m sure he doesn’t know in full what’s going on, but I get the feeling that Che Adams is being open and honest with the club about wanting away and what options he’s talking through with other clubs. Saints dropped him from the starting line up for the first two league games as a move was looking likely, I get the impression there’s decent communication between him and Wilcox. Of course we’ll all be much happier when the window is closed and we can get on with the season, but I’m reasonably confident if Che leaves we’ll get a striker in. Whether he’s actually any good or not…….

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Speak for yourself, but I'd happily sell onuachu, mara, Aribo, and djenpo 😅

Genk are definitely in touch with Saints to try and get Onuachu. Their manager said, and I am massively paraphrasing here "we are friends, so I text him a fair bit, but while the club [Genk] are getting in touch with Saints about a possible move, I have stopped texting him, but once the window closes will resume, whether he comes back or not."

Well, that's what I took away from this article anyway:
https://soccernet.ng/2023/08/he-and-his-team-could-vranckens-regular-talks-with-southamptons-onuachu-bring-him-back-to-genk.html

19 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

We should try and gazump the Piroe deal if he is our first choice.  So what if we end up getting a million or 2 less for Che.  

I tend to agree. If we want Piroe, let's get him in. Russell said he expected Che deal to be agreed at some point, so let's NOT wait until that deal is finalised before offering for Piroe. We could miss out on him. We compromised (I think) on the price for JWP. Let's be flexible. Take the £12M for Che, and spend it on Piroe sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If they're going to go I wish they'd just go. 

KWP 

Tella 

Adams 

Are more than likely off imo and the longer it drags on we are going to end up with a matter of days to get replacements. 

I can see the KWP/Adams ones going to deadline day which obviously isn't ideal for us. 

2 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I tend to agree. If we want Piroe, let's get him in. Russell said he expected Che deal to be agreed at some point, so let's NOT wait until that deal is finalised before offering for Piroe. We could miss out on him. We compromised (I think) on the price for JWP. Let's be flexible. Take the £12M for Che, and spend it on Piroe sooner rather than later.

Agree. Seems completely illogical to let a replacement who we know will get goals go to a promotion rival unless we have another target who we know is going to be better than Piroe (although hard to think who that could realistically be).

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Fans are nervous and I don't think you can blame us after how we missed out on signing a striker last summer - we're following the form but hoping Wilcox prove there's nothing to worry about. It is very easy to get sucked into a position at the end of the window where you either panic buy or get nobody.

The nervousness also comes from unknown. Piroe represents one of the last known quantities of recent goalscorer at this level after Akpom and Gyokeres left their clubs, and at 24 is only going to get better. Not to mention he's played in a Martin system before. He'd be a no brainer signing IMO. The alternative is looking for a goalscorer from somewhere else... Onuachu was prolific when we signed him. We cannot sign another Onuachu.

• Like 3

You have to feel sorry for those who have been badly misadvised in the Circle of Trust, despite the irritating smugness. Still, as we have seen by those hanging on every word from the likes of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson, perhaps they have now learned a valuable lesson.

Never trust a narcissist!

• Haha 5
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The nervousness also comes from unknown. Piroe represents one of the last known quantities of recent goalscorer at this level after Akpom and Gyokeres left their clubs, and at 24 is only going to get better. Not to mention he's played in a Martin system before. He'd be a no brainer signing IMO. The alternative is looking for a goalscorer from somewhere else... Onuachu was prolific when we signed him. We cannot sign another Onuachu.

Summed up perfectly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

if the club were in a position to do that (get Piroe), they would. But quite clearly, they don't want to add another massive wage in case the Che move doesn't happen. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

if the club were in a position to do that (get Piroe), they would. But quite clearly, they don't want to add another massive wage in case the Che move doesn't happen. 

That seems shortsighted. Che's contract expires at the end of the season. Surely we aren't that hard up?

• Like 1

I get that we won't spend anywhere close to all the money we've received this window and have myself stated the reasons why I agree with that on here. However, I hoped, and still do, that we will make at least one marquee signing that generates some real excitement and anticipation. We have generated good money in return for losing JWP and Lavia so it would be great to see some of that spent on a player who genuinely raises our hopes for the season. We've had enough bad news and disappointment, time for a marquee signing to excite us. 

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agree I assume in the background we have been sounding clubs and players out about potential deals so should Che leave then we will be able to move reasonably quickly for a replacement.  If Che goes and we don’t replace him with proven quality then I would say our shot at promotion this season is over, we look so much better when he’s on the pitch and if he keeps getting goals his confidence level will shoot up and the quality in our midfield could see him the leagues top scorer.

Edited by a1ex2001

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You have to feel sorry for those who have been badly misadvised in the Circle of Trust, despite the irritating smugness. Still, as we have seen by those hanging on every word from the likes of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson, perhaps they have now learned a valuable lesson.

Or Biden or Starmer 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Agree I assume in the background we have been sounding clubs and players out about potential deals so should Che leave then we will be able to move reasonably quickly for a replacement.  If Che goes and we don’t replace him with proven quality then I would say our shot at promotion this season is over, we look so much better when he’s on the pitch and if he keeps getting goals his confidence level will shoot up and the quality in our midfield could see him the leagues top scorer.

I agree to an extent but having players on the back burner ready to come in is no guarantee they'll be available when you want them. Presumably they'll be decent players who will also be on the radars of other clubs so it's a very delicate balancing act as we all know.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we sign someone like Duk as our main striker signing and he's ineffective, I'm going to be so pissed off. 

I’d be pretty pissed off if any striker we sign is ineffective 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

That seems shortsighted. Che's contract expires at the end of the season. Surely we aren't that hard up?

No it doesn't. It seems logical. 

I can't be bothered to argue about the finances again. 

20 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

And you will complain when your "followers" latch on to this.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

We would only lose him last minute if we agree to.

Clearly if its not in the interests of the club and we couldn't get a replacement then they wouldn't agree to it.

There are so many variables that really we know nothing about and which move extremely quickly at the end of the transfer window.

We don't know how likely Adams is to move, whether he will take action to try to force a move, where Piroe is on our list of targets, whether we have actually tried to sign him rather than just being interested and if we have why he is seemingly going elsewhere, is it pay, prefers Leeds, Swansea don't want to deal with us etc. The club will know most of these things.

End of the day, if Adams stays we won't be spending upwards of £10m on another striker.

If he goes, and we decide when that is, then he needs to be replaced and the club know that.

Joel Piroe is decent but he isnt the only good striker that we potentially have the chance to buy or loan with 9 days left.

Am I wrong then in thinking that the window shuts in less than 6 days time (11pm Tuesday)?

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

No it doesn't. It seems logical. 

I can't be bothered to argue about the finances again. 

An inadequate replacement for Che Adams will have much more of a detrimental impact on our finances than the risk of paying another player’s wages until the end of the season. At least that is my opinion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, James said:

Charles is an investment where we're likely to get our money back with interest, so it's easy to justify the outlay. Plus Lavia was heavily in demand so his departure was pretty likely.

Piroe is 24 and reaching his peak so his sell-on value is much more uncertain, and we may still not get an acceptable bid for Adams. So harder to push the button until we need to

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

38 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Do you genuinely believe that they are not doing this completely tongue-in-cheek? I don't imagine they're PMing each other wanking off about the fact that some people just may be believing their brand of bollocks.

Just take it as what it is, it's genuinely funny, as they're taking the tropes of the transfer window and adding a satirical take to it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Everton being linked to Beto again. No idea if there is anything in that. I would guess Udinese would want actual money for their striker like we do.

Seen £30m quoted so not sure the Toffees will find that very sweet. Che offers more to Chew over.

Have to say I'm disappointed with all the cash swilling around we didn't take a punt on Piroe, or maybe that's still in the melting pot. On the face of it we appear to be a bit risk averse. Does it REALLY need Adams to move on first? Or is this the karma - our dealings with Swansea peeing them around for small beer coming back to bite us on the bum?

Does rather lend support to the notion that at the moment we have an excellent team of sellers, and only an adequate one (with limited scope/contacts) of buyers. 

Just now, Pat from Poole said:

Everton fan on the Ugly thinks we may be after Maupay in part-ex for Che.

Useless in the Prem but might do a job in the Championship maybe…..

Could make some sense. Still only 27 and scored 28 in all comps last time he played at this level, more than Adams or Piroe. Also outscored Ché at PL level (not hard) during his time with Brentford.

Just now, Pat from Poole said:

Everton fan on the Ugly board thinks we may be after Maupay in part-ex for Che.

Useless in the Prem but might do a job in the Championship maybe…..

He might but does he really give us anything that Adam Armstrong doesn’t? I still think we could do with a Lambertesque striker, thought it would be Piroe but that ship is obviously sailing so who knows. Maupay, meh, and I’d imagine his wages would be considerable.

• Like 3