Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, Jimbo said:

my comment was aimed in response to someone saying “bollocks did anyone predict this”…so I’d say it’s fair game

in answer to your question, depends how bored I get with people seeming surprised we haven’t spent £50-£100m, or asking where the money has gone - given you asked me to highlight them a few days ago…

Ill ask the question again then.. wasn’t necessarily to you but it’s still relevant

Do you expect us to spend 140m in the Championship?

I’m also surprised that we weren’t in for Piroe. Surely he would have been interested if we were. It does put a lot of pressure now on either keeping Che or a gamble on a less known entity (for this league) hitting the ground running, should we sell Che this window.

I’m in the hoping we keep Che camp. I don’t think we can sign better whilst in this league and I think I’d rather keep him than have Piroe too. Contract situation makes me think that’s pretty damn unlikely though, so I do harbour a lot of the same concerns as many other posters.

Hoping we keep Che or have an exciting alternative lined up that proves Wilcox to be the head chef cooking up promotion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Selling all our best players - despite getting some good prices-is not something that has persuaded me that we are building a team capable of automatic promotion. Downes, Charles and Manning are decent signings but it's not get enough and certainly not enough if we sell more which it looks like we may do. It's not flapping, it's being realistic about where we are and what they need to do - just like many people were last summer and too many shouted them down. 

What do you expect when we're in the championship?! Of course our best players will go, and they've also got to balance the books after Ankersen's hilariously shit spending spree. Accepting where we're at is "being realistic". Panicking about what may happen isn't , and pointless. 

Anyways, I've got faith in Wilcox. Come September I'm confident we'll be ok. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

He's still relatively young at 24, so I very much doubt that comes into it.

He was 23 further up the thread but I guess we've all aged a year over the duration of this window.

@Trousers, 'check his birthday'.

Edited by sandwichsaint

It does amuse me somewhat that clawing back some of his £160m outlay on players (several of whom haven't been good enough) and moving on some of the pre-existing players (who were also not good enough collectively) is somehow inappropriate of Solak or a stick to beat him with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

I’m also surprised that we weren’t in for Piroe. Surely he would have been interested if we were. It does put a lot of pressure now on either keeping Che or a gamble on a less known entity (for this league) hitting the ground running, should we sell Che this window.

I’m in the hoping we keep Che camp. I don’t think we can sign better whilst in this league and I think I’d rather keep him than have Piroe too. Contract situation makes me think that’s pretty damn unlikely though, so I do harbour a lot of the same concerns as many other posters.

Hoping we keep Che or have an exciting alternative lined up that proves Wilcox to be the head chef cooking up promotion.

With all the young and hungry players we’ve got he’s going to need to be busy on that stove. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

my comment was aimed in response to someone saying “bollocks did anyone predict this”…so I’d say it’s fair game

in answer to your question, depends how bored I get with people seeming surprised we haven’t spent £50-£100m, or asking where the money has gone - given you asked me to highlight them a few days ago…

Err...players. shit ones. Wages. Putting our hands in our pockets to move players on. Debt. It's bloody obvious where the money has gone. 

Edited by egg

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I still don't think I've seen anyone expecting us to spend £100m (or even £50m). The record fee at this level is something like £17m, and there's been very few of them.

Honestly you're arguing a nothing point.

Stop requoting yourself, for fucks sake.

Piroe

Not really sure where I stand on it tbh, dissapointed to see him go to a rival considering he looks, on paper, as a solid option at this level… be interesting to see what he does at Leeds, he’s been dissapointing so far in Swanseas new look tactics, but I do expect him to be a success

Ultimately we’ll see if this is an SR miss step in a couple of months;

- Do we keep Che ?

- Do we sell and fail to replace ?

- Does Piroe flop ?

Of course the transfer comittee doesn’t get the benefit of hindsight, but I suspect if they really thought Piroe was the make or break player than we’d of made a move

My ‘gut’ feel is we’ll either keep Che or sign a player more able to play a hold up/disrupter type of game

Overall it does worry me, but I have faith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

What do you expect when we're in the championship?! Of course our best players will go, and they've also got to balance the books after Ankersen's hilariously shit spending spree. Accepting where we're at is "being realistic". Panicking about what may happen isn't , and pointless. 

Anyways, I've got faith in Wilcox. Come September I'm confident we'll be ok. 

Ffs where did I say I didn't expect it? Of course I expected it but doing something expected doesn't then mean I have faith. What provides faith is leaving the squad in a stronger position than they are now which is what Martin has continually said they will do. They have a week to show it and prove they can be trusted. 

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I still don't think I've seen anyone expecting us to spend £100m (or even £50m). The record fee at this level is something like £17m, and there's been very few of them.

There’s been more than a few since April. 

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anyone else still feel like we need another striker even if Adams stays?

Yeah, but probably someone a bit more supplementary. If we can get Paul to piss off, maybe we can loan in a third senior option (not sure I count Mara)

On 18/05/2023 at 09:13, Simo is back said:

I'd let Jwp , Bednarek, Kwp ,McCarthy, Orsic, Abk , Salisu , Lavia,  Elyanoussiand Bazunu all go if we get the right money for them . That should make around 150m imo probably more then chuck a big lump at a Potter or Rodgers type manager and give them the rest to spend on players . That should hopefully see us in contention.

On 21/05/2023 at 12:43, Hodgey said:

Don’t forget Lavia’s fee will be 20pc less as that goes to City. Realistically those two will  be c £70-80m. Even with the 40pc cut our bloated squad will carry a huge wage bill. Then there is the c £7m interest on that £75m loan we’re still carrying, and how much are we still paying off Ralph/Jones/staff ?. Add all that to the £250m net spend from Dragon.

I would have thought the transfer budget will be anything made above £100m to service some of that, certainly that would be the sensible move. You’d hope we would find another £75m from Salisu / ABK / Osric / Adams / Perraud / Tella giving a budget of c £50m to rebuild what would be a weak squad once all those left. As you say SR will realise the need to invest to mount a promotion challenge but if we do this right we can remove debt, invest, and have a squad that aligns to Martins needs. (*doing it right hasn’t been SR strong point so far)

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Who? I haven't seen anyone. 

Couple of examples from the summer exodus thread alone.

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think if we have confidence in keeping Che, they could sell that to the fan base if we don't bring anyone else in. Any other scenario is going to have fans asking why we didn't go with Piroe and it's going to be a big risk to bring anyone else I'm if they aren't as effective. Keeping Adams now a must for me. 

Indeed, if Adams stays, most people (Verlaine aside) will be happy enough with our "strikeforce".     The other key might be Sulemana staying.  If he does, I can see the scoring and providing of many goals - even if he isn't an out-and-out striker.  Perhaps Wilcox and co have knowledge/confidence he's staying.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ffs where did I say I didn't expect it? Of course I expected it but doing something expected doesn't then mean I have faith. What provides faith is leaving the squad in a stronger position than they are now which is what Martin has continually said they will do. They have a week to show it and prove they can be trusted. 

You were complaining about us selling our best players. It's obvious that would have happened. We've replaced Lavia with another kid from the same conveyor belt. He looks decent. We've replaced JWP with a player who knows this league, knows RM style, and who I think will offer no less than JWP in open play. We've sold Salisu who didn't want to play for us. We've sold we've brought in Manning who'll create loads and has made our left side better than it was last year. 

That, and more, has happened on Wilcox's watch.

I'm not sure what Wilcox has done to make you doubt him. 

Anyways, none of us can do anything about what happens in the rest of the window. If we're up shit creek come September, that's the time to be concerned. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That second one says we may spend 50 million on signings. We've spent 15 so far and imo we could get close to that with remaining signings so i don't consider that to be outlandish. No idea what that first poster was saying as it looks clumsily worded to me. 

How many times have we been here. Wind ourselves up about a player. Anticipate a signing, then disappointment and incredulity that he had the cheek to go elsewhere.

Pirou looks a good player, I would have liked him here, but Leeds have reminded us we aren't the only big dogs in this league.

Hopefully the club have a plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

There’s been zero

The top two fee’s are;

Piroe - 16m

Charles - 12m

But crack on Nostradamus

I think you’re debating a different point. My point was there’s been more than a few people who have expected us to spend >£50m, not more than a few £10m+ signings.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

You were complaining about us selling our best players. It's obvious that would have happened. We've replaced Lavia with another kid from the same conveyor belt. He looks decent. We've replaced JWP with a player who knows this league, knows RM style, and who I think will offer no less than JWP in open play. We've sold Salisu who didn't want to play for us. We've sold we've brought in Manning who'll create loads and has made our left side better than it was last year. 

That, and more, has happened on Wilcox's watch.

I'm not sure what Wilcox has done to make you doubt him. 

Anyways, none of us can do anything about what happens in the rest of the window. If we're up shit creek come September, that's the time to be concerned. 

No I wasn't complaining about selling our best players, I was saying that selling our best players isn't an action that gives me faith in those in charge. Building a great team to properly challenge for automatic promotion is the actions I expect which will give me faith in them. Sports Republic failed last year and their appointees this year are under pressure to deliver and do things differently. What they do this week will potentially give them a track record of success and thus deserving of faith in the future. Talk is cheap like I said. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

There’s been more than a few since April. 

What point am I missing ?

There’s been literally zero 17m fee’s so far

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No I wasn't complaining about selling our best players, I was saying that selling our best players isn't an action that gives me faith in those in charge. Building a great team to properly challenge for automatic promotion is the actions I expect which will give me faith in them. Sports Republic failed last year and their appointees this year are under pressure to deliver and do things differently. What they do this week will potentially give them a track record of success and thus deserving of faith in the future. Talk is cheap like I said. 

I understood that, hence my comment about what did you expect them to do. They were always going to sell our best players. So far I'm happy with the replacements, although we're definitely a CB short on the assumption that we won't see ABK for whatever reason. 

SR totally messed up last season. Had Ankersen been in charge of the football side this season I think it would have been another shit show. That he's not, and that Wilcox has imo done a cracking job so far, is why I'm confident.

Let's see where we are in a week or so 🤞🙏🤞

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

There’s been zero

The top two fee’s are;

Piroe - 16m

Charles - 12m

But crack on Nostradamus

Yep this link shows all so far, it's a few days out of date but only Saints, Leeds and Leicester are spending anything.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12878368/transfer-news-summer-transfer-window-2023-championship-ins-and-outs

Even all time shows there isn't a lot spent.

Screenshot_20230824-224702_Chrome.jpg

Edited by macca155
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

What point am I missing ?

There’s been literally zero 17m fee’s so far

That’s not the point we were discussing. We were discussing whether or not anyone on here had been expecting us to spend £50m or £100m this window.  I said more than a few had been (not me!).

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

That’s not the point we were discussing. We were discussing whether or not anyone on here had been expecting us to spend £50m or £100m this window.  I said more than a few had been (not me!).

So one poster made a badly worded post which possibly suggested spending 100 million. No other poster as said anythibg like that as far as I can see. 

• Like 2

Well I’d never heard of Piroe until he gained legendary status on here a few weeks ago. I really don’t care who he has signed for and that we haven’t signed him, I don’t even know if we were even interested. Time to move on. Goodnight 😴 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What does it matter what some people on a forum thought we'd spend?

What does the amount that we spend matter?

Surely it's about having a squad after the window closes that RM is happy with, and that's good enough to get us promoted.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Well I’d never heard of Piroe until he gained legendary status on here a few weeks ago. I really don’t care who he has signed for and that we haven’t signed him, I don’t even know if we were even interested. Time to move on. Goodnight 😴 

Piroe may disappoint Leeds, he was by all accounts struggling at Swansea with the new pressing style Michael Duff has introduced. We all assumed, me included, that RM would know how to get the best out of him. But maybe RM believes he needs something different.

What is a fact though is Piroe’s stand out scoring record at this level and Che’s replacement needs to out-perform Piroe for Saints to be top two. Quite a significant ask, risk, and probably a fee at this level breaking Neves’s record. £12-16m for Piroe would be cheaper and less risky.

As we’ve seen with Archer, that player probably signs for Fulham or Sheffield Utd instead. So probably a higher potential player than Piroe and maybe a player that was widely assumed would go to the PL, La Liga top side or Serie A but we’re the final stage before that for a big club to put down bigger money if they score 30 goals and get us up. Fuck knows who that is, but hope Mowbray and Wilcox do. 

Huge pressure on JW to deliver now and by 1 September the squad and first XI needs to be clearly the strongest in the division and bookies favourites. SR cannot fail a second manager in two summers on a striker signing. No ‘forgetting’ to buy a main striker. No ‘we tried’ or ‘we’re happy with the squad’. It’s either take the risk on running Che’s deal down + another option, or Che goes and balls out on a replacement which makes us odds on favourites. The fans, the club, it needs a talisman as we had in 2010-12 with Lambert. 

Duk is probably Mara’s replacement, he’ll be loaned out and eventually sold. There’s talent there somewhere but let some other suckers take 5 years to find it. Let Duk have some cameos off the bench and settle in without the pressure of being the talisman. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So your "look at me, I was right and everyone else was wrong" lap of honour is based on a poster in bloody May chatting shit about "let's go out and get Graham Potter", christ almighty.

Have a fucking peanut Mystic Meg, we don’t know how you do it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He’s bought into a multi club model, not just Southampton.. we’re still purchasing other clubs for that multi club partnership, its simply not effective if the flagship club is in the Championship

People keep forgetting that.. yes they’re probably in it for the profit, but its a long term strategy 

Plus it's hard to see Rasmus sticking around for a cynical money making exercise. He needs visible success to fuel his management guru / Ted talk shtick

• Like 1