JPT Final Anniversary

trousers

1 hour ago, trousers said:

13th anniversary today.... who would swap the team we had then for the team we have now....? :)

image.png.dbbc0ac513f229e352663cc40ac3109e.png

I had totally forgotten Chris Perry and Gillet!

Great day. Rare in that so much of the fanbase could all attend and be a part of it - i'm sure that had a part in building the atmosphere and bond between the fans and the teams that carried us through the promotion and first prem seasons. Sadly something that was dismantled by the lies and sell off that happened summer 2014. Still, great memories that to enjoy as a saints fan.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint86 said:

I had totally forgotten Chris Perry and Gillet!

Great day. Rare in that so much of the fanbase could all attend and be a part of it - i'm sure that had a part in building the atmosphere and bond between the fans and the teams that carried us through the promotion and first prem seasons. Sadly something that was dismantled by the lies and sell off that happened summer 2014. Still, great memories that to enjoy as a saints fan.

what lies?

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what lies?

Les Reed's beautiful, "No one will be sold. No one will be sold. No one will be sold." mantra. Then the season ticket renewal window closed, and (basically) the next day Lambert was sold to Liverpool along with the rest.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Les Reed's beautiful, "No one will be sold. No one will be sold. No one will be sold." mantra. Then the season ticket renewal window closed, and (basically) the next day Lambert was sold to Liverpool along with the rest.

ah right that lie, yeah forgot about that. Very strange time at the club, but we came out better for it. The next two years were brilliant, it all went downhill when Les thought he had the magic touch. One of the most cringeworthy interviews Les gave was when we'd just had out best season since about in about 15 years and he got asked how Koeman had done he replied "he's done okay" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A brilliant day.  Very fond memories.  I know it was only a tin-pot trophy but that wasn't really the point.  It was a celebration of the corner we had turned.  We didn't know we'd go on and get consecutive promotions and have 4 top-ten finishes in the premier league.  But it did feel like redemption after a depressing slide downwards. We also didn't know our saviour would soon be no longer with us.

Looking at the team I think there's only 4 I'd have in our current side  - Fonte, Antonio (based on what he became rather than the very raw talent he was then), Lambert and Lallana.  Perhaps Davis if it prevents another Bazunu-based onslaught. 

Edited by The Left Back
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

ah right that lie, yeah forgot about that. Very strange time at the club, but we came out better for it. The next two years were brilliant, it all went downhill when Les thought he had the magic touch. One of the most cringeworthy interviews Les gave was when we'd just had out best season since about in about 15 years and he got asked how Koeman had done he replied "he's done okay" 

Yes it was weird that he didn't get on with Koeman, man basically saved his ass. Always wondered if the Everton approach made it easy to get rid of Koeman. I.e. you're not getting a new deal here at saints so you best be off mate - we all know Koeman was after the barca/netherlands job at the time.

And yeah, it was a strange time that summer. Some of the best years as a saints fan in modern history - met with immediate uncertainty.
I just back checked (a lot of the articles and quotes are still around). Season ticket renewals closed 30th May that summer, Lambert was sold 2nd June.

You can still find quotes from Les Reed even up to the 12th June (sky sports) saying we were not intending to sell any of our other stars... 

Shaw 27th June
Lallana 1st July
Lovren 27July
Chambers 28th july

Must have moved quick to negotiate all those sales in a few weeks if we weren't already in negotiations 👀

Even found an article with quotes from him saying we wouldn't sell any more the following summer, obviously Morgan and co didn't that message.

I honestly think that period did a lot of damage to the atmosphere at SMS and the bond between the fans and the players / chants etc. We'd had an amazing few years and had great togetherness. Then Marcus passed, cortese got ousted, poch went, and reed got the top job. We turned into a talent trading machine with seemingly no loyalty or soul - and within 2 summers we'd basically dismantled the entire team. 

Still, you've got to have the bad to enjoy the good - and at least Koeman kept up the momentum for another couple of years and built a cracking team with Tadic, VVD, Toby etc. Now that was a side!

Anyway, massive digress although i see the jpt and the above as book ending that period! The JPT was a superb day out and what really kick started us up the leagues. Hopefully a great many of us will have those memories for a long time to come! And even better yet, hopefully we get some more success in the future - Preferably not in the lower leagues though 😆

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

It was a great fun day out and we deservedly won.  Funnily enough, just this yesterday I was turning out the spare bedroom and found the match day scarf and flag!  The fact Markus was there to enjoy it was extra special.

The team was just that - unified with the fans.  The CB pairing of Fonte and Jaidi was really too good for the league we were in, as was Lambert, Lallana and even Antonio albeit a raw talent but one that had clear signs of skill and strength.  There were other gems in the team too in relation to our position.  Happy memories, spoilt by the dismantling job Reed did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I'm surprised that people don't get this. Chapter 1 of how to sell something, step 1: It's not for sale. His job was to get the best possible price for any players who were sold, not say nice things for people on an internet message board. If anyone was buying STs solely on the promise that none of our players would be sold, more fool them IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm surprised that people don't get this. Chapter 1 of how to sell something, step 1: It's not for sale. His job was to get the best possible price for any players who were sold, not say nice things for people on an internet message board. If anyone was buying STs solely on the promise that none of our players would be sold, more fool them IMO.

Well he failed at that as well, was so anxious to sell everyone to his favourite club liverpool ,  that he blew his load too early and lost out on like 20million+ on Mane alone. By the end of that window prices had practically doubled, united bought pogba for 90m, but we'd already sold our star player early on, who was one of the best to do it in the prem, for only 34m. Wanyama for 11m.  Mane should of gone for 55m+ all day long by the end of that window.

People might say but thats hindsight....but i would say is it really though? When is it ever good to sell your star player early in the window?

Edited by Spark
minor edit to price
  • Like 4

Block 524, Row 12, Seat 316. One of my favourite days. My only gripe was that a mate offered me a lift to and from Wembley for my spare ticket so I never really got to drink in the pre- and post-match atmosphere in the local pubs. Still a cracking result even if it was "only" Carlisle and we were the big spenders of League One. We also had Harding at right back (who did a great job) and Morgan suspended. I said at the time I wished we could have kept Antonio (Happy Birthday to him) but if I remember rightly Reading wanted too much money.

• Like 1

Good day out and obviously great to see us win but I would absolutely love to witness us win the FA Cup there in my lifetime (not being alive in 1976), having seen us lose the ZDS and 2003 finals I wonder if I will live to see it. 

A really special day for me, my son and 3 grandsons. Could not believe the number of Saints Flags hanging out of car windows as we travelled up the M3. My grandson's faces as they first saw the Wembley Arch from the Tube will live with me forever.

• Like 3

Always a good on to have in your pocket for Spurs fan friends telling me how great they are compared to us - “you do realise that even we have won a Wembley cup final since you last did” - Just like the reply in the stadium “Johnstones Paint Trophy you’ll never win that” perplexes most fans. Although I think Chelsea fans coax that response out of us on purpose as ones I know think it’s a great come back to their Champions of Europe chant.

it was indeed a great day out - the photo of Rickie slotting the penalty from behind the goal with a wall of Red and White to the sky behind him always induces goosebumps

2 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Always a good on to have in your pocket for Spurs fan friends telling me how great they are compared to us - “you do realise that even we have won a Wembley cup final since you last did” - Just like the reply in the stadium “Johnstones Paint Trophy you’ll never win that” perplexes most fans. Although I think Chelsea fans coax that response out of us on purpose as ones I know think it’s a great come back to their Champions of Europe chant.

it was indeed a great day out - the photo of Rickie slotting the penalty from behind the goal with a wall of Red and White to the sky behind him always induces goosebumps

wasn't the penalty at the Carlise end?

It was great to see Saints actually win something, usually we are plucky losers in games like that. Although it was a great day out i do remember at the time feeling a little bit dissappointed it was such a one sided game with a comfortable win. The fact that there were only about 15,000 Carlise fans there, a win for us was never really in doubt once we scored meant it didnt really feel like a cup final during the game. Carlise had beaten Leeds in the semi final and whilst i was pleased we were playing Carlise as i knew barring a massive upset we'd win, it would have been a much better final had we played Leeds. Better game, better atmosphere and more of an achievement to win it.

The first Koeman summer was undoubtedly, in terms of incoming, the best transfer window we've ever had in the modern era. Pelle, Tadic, Alderweireld, Mane and then Van Dijk the next year. Top European talent and a couple of world class players in there.

This is interesting because it is obvious that Koeman himself was responsible for identifying and requesting most of those players, not the moneyball dweebs.

Edited by benjii

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

The first Koeman summer was undoubtedly, in terms of incoming, the best transfer window we've ever had in the modern era. Pelle, Tadic, Alderweireld, Mane and then Van Dijk the next year. Top European talent and a couple of world class players in there.

This is interesting because it is obvious that Koeman himself was responsible for identifying and requesting most of those players, not the moneyball dweebs.

i still cant believe we got a player of Alderwierlds quality even though it was only on loan. Full Belgian international at Atheltico Madrid when he came on loan, it just goes to show the draw a decent manager can have. No way would Les and the groovy gang have been able to pull that one off.

• Like 1