The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

22 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

After Coffey didn't know the capital if Rwanda, we now have Huw Merriman crying like a spolit twat about BBC bias, the only examples he could come up with was the News Quiz, a satirical show and the presenter of Art Attack (apparently he meant someone else).

This follows yesterday's interview where the Culture Secretary, Lucy Frazer, failed to give an example of BBC bias when challenged.

It should be noted that Robbie Gibb, BBC Board member, is the brother of Conservative MP and former Cabinet Minister Nick, is a friend of BoJo, was head of Comms for Teresa May, and was one of the founding fathers of GB News, so he is obviously biased against the Government.

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

This follows yesterday's interview where the Culture Secretary failed to give an example of BBC bias when challenged.

It should be noted that Robbie Gibb, BBC Board member, is the brother of Conservative MP and former Cabinet Minister Nick, is a friend of BoJo, was head of Comms for Teresa May, and was one of the founding fathers of GB News, so he is obviously biased against the Govetnment.

She ended up saying that people's perception was that the BBC is biased and when pressed that there isn't much the BBC can do about that, her answer was that perception matters.

They cant hide their disdain for the BBC now. Even when Sunak was talking about Mr Bates v the PO, he went out of his way to congratulate ITV, as a way of sticking one on the BBC. Paul Brand never comes in for the same treatment as the BBC does from these loons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

She ended up saying that people's perception was that the BBC is biased and when pressed that there isn't much the BBC can do about that, her answer was that perception matters.

They cant hide their disdain for the BBC now. Even when Sunak was talking about Mr Bates v the PO, he went out of his way to congratulate ITV, as a way of sticking one on the BBC. Paul Brand never comes in for the same treatment as the BBC does from these loons.

Sunak conveniently ignoring the fact that the BBC did a Panorama special on the Post Office Scandal last year while massively trying to deflect that it took an ITV drama to prompt him and his cabal of pompous public school boys to actually do the right thing on this despite them knowing enough that pardoning and compensating all those involved should have been a matter of course yonks ago!

It's always funny when people from either side say the BBC is biased as they invariably fail to give any decent examples and then try and hide from the obvious fact that the BBC is one of the most neutral broadcasters anywhere in the world.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

This follows yesterday's interview where the Culture Secretary, Lucy Frazer, failed to give an example of BBC bias when challenged.

It should be noted that Robbie Gibb, BBC Board member, is the brother of Conservative MP and former Cabinet Minister Nick, is a friend of BoJo, was head of Comms for Teresa May, and was one of the founding fathers of GB News, so he is obviously biased against the Government.

Saw a bit of Kay Burley interview. Sky News were fiercely defensive of their BBC colleagues and talking about how much scrutiny they have to apply to every word.  Fact that they don’t champion Lee Anderson’s comments is showing bias to these head cases. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

The letters are starting to go in to the 1922 committee, they are a joke.

Instead of a leadership contest maybe they should sell raffle tickets - booby prize winner becomes PM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Instead of a leadership contest maybe they should sell raffle tickets - booby prize winner becomes PM.

I'd love to know who they think is going to do better with the public than Rishi?  Currently Truss seems to be angling for a comeback as the face of this popular conservatism group with JRM in tow and I can't imagine anyone in the country (other than high stakes financial gamblers) who would be exactly enthusiastic about the return of the lettuce!

• Like 1

Sunak's approval rating was higher that the tories, the plan was to show how capable he was with the hope it lifted the tory score. So they set the five pledges to be able to demonstrate this. This has failed and Sunaks rating has dropped to the tories level, now some are panicking and the loons think this will be solved with more choas.

They should put the country first; govern without the psychodrama, slip off into opposition, have their massive row, sort themselves out and come back again. But it's always party before country with them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd probably vote for Kemi Badenoch in the future. Has the added bonus of confounding people who don't think you can be black and hold the opinions she does. 

Are you a Conservative party member? 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd probably vote for Kemi Badenoch in the future. Has the added bonus of confounding people who don't think you can be black and hold the opinions she does. 

You're moving towards the centre as you get older then.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I don't think so. I'm much more interested in policies and ideas over skin colour. It would really get under the skin of those who do care about that sort of thing though. I've seen people say things like she isn't really black which is utterly hilarious. No politician is great at the moment to be fair but what she claims are her priorities are some things I care about. I'd prefer not to vote Conservative but I'm prepared to give her a chance in the future although with mainstream politics it's always best to prepare for disappointment. 

33 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

This is the same person who said a while back that he was liberal 😂. Given his well documented support of the likes of Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson his support for one of the nastier right wing Tories comes as absolutely no surprise at all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

well documented support of the likes of Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson

Really? Link? I worry for you SOG. Anyone with a difference of an opinion to you has to be badged as a bogey man. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whelk said:

Really? Link? I worry for you SOG. Anyone with a difference of an opinion to you has to be badged as a bogey man. 

Let him have his fun whelk. The board wouldn't be the same without the mad ramblings of soggy. Rather revealing that he's so against a woman of colour potentially being prime minister. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, whelk said:

It is well documented here. A while back I called out both of these characters for their far right rhetoric and he was straight in here having a go at me for doing so (despite pretending not to know who either of them were 🙄). His support for far right politics is all over this forum, he even used an alt-right avatar for a while. He is currently trying to tell us that Donald Trump isn’t as bad as most of us believe he is. 
Not once have I said that I wouldn’t want a black woman as PM. I have said I wouldn’t want someone like Badenoch, Braverman or Patel as PM, but as is perfectly clear if you have the basic level of IQ, you will know that is because of their politics and not their skin colour. 

His posting history makes it very clear where his sympathies lie, he is just too much of a coward to come out and say it directly.

If you are in any doubt, go back over any thread covering politics and you will find evidence of his far right sympathies everywhere. He even uses the same tactics as Trump when challenged, shouting fake news and accusing his challenger as being mentally deficient.

• Haha 4

On 23/01/2024 at 10:07, sadoldgit said:

It certainly has. The infrastructure is falling apart. We don’t build anything anymore. The NHS is failing. Good luck with finding an NHS dentist. Public services are on their knees. Local councils are going bankrupt. Everything is crying out for investment but what do we hear from this embarrassment of a government? Promises of a (cynical) tax cut before the next election. Change can’t come soon enough but while we have some measure of hope, it is looking increasingly like Trump could be in for a second term…God help us.

5B595ED8-EA97-443E-9DD0-2E205926EB64.thumb.jpeg.dbcd94e087af6c02de254d4ef8623963.jpeg

20 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

It is well documented here. A while back I called out both of these characters for their far right rhetoric and he was straight in here having a go at me for doing so (despite pretending not to know who either of them were 🙄). His support for far right politics is all over this forum, he even used an alt-right avatar for a while. He is currently trying to tell us that Donald Trump isn’t as bad as most of us believe he is. 
Not once have I said that I wouldn’t want a black woman as PM. I have said I wouldn’t want someone like Badenoch, Braverman or Patel as PM, but as is perfectly clear if you have the basic level of IQ, you will know that is because of their politics and not their skin colour. 

His posting history makes it very clear where his sympathies lie, he is just too much of a coward to come out and say it directly.

If you are in any doubt, go back over any thread covering politics and you will find evidence of his far right sympathies everywhere. He even uses the same tactics as Trump when challenged, shouting fake news and accusing his challenger as being mentally deficient.

Your never ending ability to try and shoe horn "right wing" into every post whist expressing outrage is something to behold. The only surprise is that you never had a melt down about Saints openly being in the market for a right winger. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This is true, it's the brown ones you seem to despise.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Hypo has his own views and I have probably disagreed as much I have agreed with him but don’t know why you need to go labelling far right, Katie Hopkins all the time. Gives you no credibility and shows you are part of the polarisation problem. Won’t give any respect to someone who doesn’t have same world view as you and you instantly need to demonise. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So I'm guessing you're 'Faaaaaarrr Left' then Soggy?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

British homes for British workers. So when will the Tories start kicking the workshy Brits out of their social housing?

Will Labour do that when they come to power?....

17 hours ago, whelk said:

Hypo has his own views and I have probably disagreed as much I have agreed with him but don’t know why you need to go labelling far right, Katie Hopkins all the time. Gives you no credibility and shows you are part of the polarisation problem. Won’t give any respect to someone who doesn’t have same world view as you and you instantly need to demonise. 

I know it doesn't need saying but just in case there's any doubt, I've never listened to a single thing Katie Hopkins has said unless you mean when she was on the apprentice. I don't think she's even on TV anymore that I am aware of. I'm so far right that I'm married to someone of Arabic descent, have a Muslim father in law and mixed race children, have voted Labour in the past and even Liberal Democrat on one occasion. These caricatures are very amusing though. Apparently I definitely am far right but I'm a coward so won't state it explicitly. 

22 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Fake news, 🤡

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Jeremy Hunt claiming credit for the fall in inflation, which is almost entirely due to a fall in the price of petrol and diesel.

Bet you'd blame him/the Tories if it was going the other way

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Like when the tories blamed Labour after the financial crash and the soppy left wingers in the LP didn't challenge them because the dicks thought it furthered their cause.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, harvey said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. However despite living in a small white middle class town he seems to hate white people. He also hates brown women, has a disturbing obsession with Jews, (for example told us he spent a day trying to prove that Jews weren't a race) doesnt like anyone who has done better than him in life despite regularly boasting about a glittering career as admin manager at the CPS. He also isn't able to tolerate anyone whose  view or words dont exactly match his outlook on life regularly labelling them all sorts of things. He doesn't seem to like many people which is odd for a leftie. Although he does seems to like brown men and black women as one cuts his hair and the other pulls his pints. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Only if it was justified, same as I would criticise a Labour Chancellor if he did the same as Hunt. Are you pointing the finger of blame at Starmer for the Horizon prosecutions ?

If a politician, of any persuasion, is caught out lying, cheating, or fabricating truths they should be called out.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. However despite living in a small white middle class town he seems to hate white people. He also hates brown women, has a disturbing obsession with Jews, (for example told us he spent a day trying to prove that Jews weren't a race) doesnt like anyone who has done better than him in life despite regularly boasting about a glittering career as admin manager at the CPS. He also isn't able to tolerate anyone whose  view or words dont exactly match his outlook on life regularly labelling them all sorts of things. He doesn't seem to like many people which is odd for a leftie. Although he does seems to like brown men and black women as one cuts his hair and the other pulls his pints. 

Although when he goes out for a walk / lunch / swift half / newspaper / village fair, without fail he ALWAYS meets a random stranger in his white middle class town that has the exact same views as him.

Very odd.

• Like 1

More trouble at mill for Sunak with David Frost being pressed to reveal the no doubt very shady non doms who funded the £40k for the doomsday You Gov poll predicting a 1997 GE outcome 2.0, or be expelled from the Tories. Some interrogation into the questions. Even Portsmouth FC would probably even baulk at where that funding came from. Sunak’s camp making noises to the press (bar the DT who headlined it) that Reform UK behind it. 

If I was Rishi, I’d just expel Frost, Braverman, Caites, Prue Leith’s nipper, Simon Clarke and a dozen hangers on with a press release stating they are taking their seats (HoL for Frost) to Reform UK. Truss maybe too. Go full Kinnock and Militant Tendancy. End the fear which Cameron had leading to Brexit as they (Reform UK) fizzle out electorally. The Tory MPs know if they try to change leader again pre-GE they’d be finished for good. 

Meanwhile, a junior minister was laughed at on QT praising Sunak https://www.indy100.com/video/tory-slammed-sunak-question-time

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

More trouble at mill for Sunak with David Frost being pressed to reveal the no doubt very shady non doms who funded the £40k for the doomsday You Gov poll predicting a 1997 GE outcome 2.0, or be expelled from the Tories. Some interrogation into the questions. Even Portsmouth FC would probably even baulk at where that funding came from. Sunak’s camp making noises to the press (bar the DT who headlined it) that Reform UK behind it. 

If I was Rishi, I’d just expel Frost, Braverman, Caites, Prue Leith’s nipper, Simon Clarke and a dozen hangers on with a press release stating they are taking their seats (HoL for Frost) to Reform UK. Truss maybe too. Go full Kinnock and Militant Tendancy. End the fear which Cameron had leading to Brexit as they (Reform UK) fizzle out electorally. The Tory MPs know if they try to change leader again pre-GE they’d be finished for good. 

Meanwhile, a junior minister was laughed at on QT praising Sunak https://www.indy100.com/video/tory-slammed-sunak-question-time

He should have done that the day he took office. If he had he would now be in control of his party. Instead he pandered to Duckie's friends, reinstated Suella and now has little credibilty in his party and in the country. 

Johnson expelled his opponents from the party and would still be PM  if he hadn't been such a lazy, mendacious waste of space. Sunak doesn't have Johnson's bottle to do likewise. 

• Like 2

On 25/01/2024 at 21:54, harvey said:

No Harvey. I have voted mostly for the Lib Dem’s but not since that idiot Clegg handed power to Cameron which then led to the mess we are in now.

I shall be voting for Starmer in the next election, not only to get the Tories out, but because we need a decent, solid person in charge who actually wants to improve the lives of ordinary people.

You don’t have to be Faaaar Left to hate those of far right sensibilities. Anyone in their right mind should despise people like Braverman, Hopkins, Robinson, Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Trump, Anderson etc. and I make no apologies for posting against them and their enablers, even if it does upset the usual suspects on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

No Harvey. I have voted mostly for the Lib Dem’s but not since that idiot Clegg handed power to Cameron which then led to the mess we are in now.

I shall be voting for Starmer in the next election, not only to get the Tories out, but because we need a decent, solid person in charge who actually wants to improve the lives of ordinary people.

You don’t have to be Faaaar Left to hate those of far right sensibilities. Anyone in their right mind should despise people like Braverman, Hopkins, Robinson, Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Trump, Anderson etc. and I make no apologies for posting against them and their enablers, even if it does upset the usual suspects on here.

Posting against the right wing. Calling out racists. Soggy saving the world one forum post at a time 

18 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It doesn’t upset anyone you plum.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Posting against the right wing. Calling out racists. Soggy saving the world one forum post at a time 

And fuck knows why he has a problem with Tony Robinson and Viv Anderson

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

I don't think anyone should ever boast about working for the CPS, they've been a fucking shambles for 40 years. 

7 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Do you think he's a decent person? Personally pre-Gaza I was hopeful, although a number of policies that the Tories were putting in (right to protest etc) he said he WASN'T looking to reverse. 

I now look at his reluctance to call out war crimes in Gaza (versus his very quick accusations of the Russian's) and that makes me start to feel very nervous that he is just Tory light. 

This country needs a proper change. Investment in infrastructure - re-nationalising power, water and Royal Mail.

It needs a proper top-down analysis of the NHS to understand how to make it a workable system. 

We need joint up thinking when it comes to house building, and the need for more social housing. 

There needs to be an increase of pay for nurses, doctors and dentists, to ensure we can bring in/train up the amount of workers we need. 

It will take money, but the tax system needs an overhaul anyway. 

We need a full on step change, but every sector has to help to feed into the next (for example housebuilding/planning permission and energy creation for the grid). 

I'm just worried that Starmer will not do what is needed. 

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Do you think he's a decent person? Personally pre-Gaza I was hopeful, although a number of policies that the Tories were putting in (right to protest etc) he said he WASN'T looking to reverse. 

I now look at his reluctance to call out war crimes in Gaza (versus his very quick accusations of the Russian's) and that makes me start to feel very nervous that he is just Tory light. 

This country needs a proper change. Investment in infrastructure - re-nationalising power, water and Royal Mail.

It needs a proper top-down analysis of the NHS to understand how to make it a workable system. 

We need joint up thinking when it comes to house building, and the need for more social housing. 

There needs to be an increase of pay for nurses, doctors and dentists, to ensure we can bring in/train up the amount of workers we need. 

We need a full on step change, but every sector has to help to feed into the next (for example housebuilding/planning permission and energy creation for the grid). 

The problem is that he will need to be "Tory light" to get elected, as with Blair. Traditional Labour policies won't sway enough swing voters, or garner the necessary support from media outlets.

• Like 3

The non-tax paying billionaires who control the majority of UK media messaging won't change horses until it becomes obvious they are going to be on the losing side.

Starmer should be in their offices now having informal chats - they will need each other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Agree with you on all of the above but as Badger noted, Blair couldn’t do this either. Even the National minimum wage as a keystone in his platform, an accepted cross-party norm for a generation had all sorts of scare stories in the DT, Mail, Times, Sun about 1.7 m job losses (it’s created far more jobs since 1997 in fact). That what Labour has to do, introduce change in office, public sees the benefit and the media rage eases. People mobility is essential for health and social care but such a political hot potato and post-Braverman, the huge rise is visa costs and healthcare charges mean a fall in the numbers coming to train, which benefits their home countries further down the track. It’s better to let an election setback act as Ritalin for the most excited of the tabloids/non-doms, and the a) take them out of the net figures and b) close the non-dom loopholes on tax. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

The problem is that he will need to be "Tory light" to get elected, as with Blair. Traditional Labour policies won't sway enough swing voters, or garner the necessary support from media outlets.

6 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Agree with you on all of the above but as Badger noted, Blair couldn’t do this either. Even the National minimum wage as a keystone in his platform, an accepted cross-party norm for a generation had all sorts of scare stories in the DT, Mail, Times, Sun about 1.7 m job losses (it’s created far more jobs since 1997 in fact). That what Labour has to do, introduce change in office, public sees the benefit and the media rage eases. People mobility is essential for health and social care but such a political hot potato and post-Braverman, the huge rise is visa costs and healthcare charges mean a fall in the numbers coming to train, which benefits their home countries further down the track. It’s better to let an election setback act as Ritalin for the most excited of the tabloids/non-doms, and the a) take them out of the net figures and b) close the non-dom loopholes on tax. 

Don't disagree with what either of you are saying, it's just sad times at the moment and the country needs a proper reset. It's the only way to be able to "make Brexit work" (if it can,which we all know is rather pie in the sky). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

I don't think anyone should ever boast about working for the CPS, they've been a fucking shambles for 40 years. 

Firstly, some advice. Don’t take anything that the forum WUM/stalker posts seriously. I have said that I used to work for the CPS, I didn’t and don’t “boast” about it.

So, back to Keir Starmer and the state of the Criminal Justice System. I worked under three different DPP’s whilst working there (and for the whole of his five year tenure) and he was by far the most effective and engaged. My wife worked for the CPS for over 30 years and says the same.

The others would turn up, talk at us for a while to tick a box, then vanish until the next meeting. Starmer would ask questions, listen to the responses, provide feedback and make changes for improvement where he could.

When you look at both parties it is very clear that Starmer and his team have a far greater understanding of what is going on for normal people than anyone on the Tory front bench, or the rest of their party for that matter.

For those who have been paying attention, ever since he became leader of the Labour Party he has been constantly travelling around the country talking to people, listening and getting a real idea of what is going on in this country at ground level. 

He will make a far better PM than anyone currently likely to become leader of the Tories once Sunak is ousted but he has got an incredibly tough job to do in overturning the 14 years of misrule.

As for your comment about the CPS. The whole of the CJS; the CPS, the Court Service, the police and probation, have all been decimated by the Tory policy of austerity. Year after year our budgets were cut and we spent too much time having to manage these cuts. The only way we could save money was to lose staff and close buildings. You save more money by losing the longest serving and most experienced staff (and they are most likely to seek a severance package) The rest of the Criminal Justice System were in the same boat which is why the whole thing is a “shambles”.

You will probably be aware that the situation is the same for pretty much all of our public services. Something to consider when you head off to the polling booth later in the year. Can the country survive another five years of being governed by this bunch of self serving incompetents?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Firstly, some advice. Don’t take anything that the forum WUM/stalker posts seriously. I have said that I used to work for the CPS, I didn’t and don’t “boast” about it.

So, back to Keir Starmer and the state of the Criminal Justice System. I worked under three different DPP’s whilst working there (and for the whole of his five year tenure) and he was by far the most effective and engaged. My wife worked for the CPS for over 30 years and says the same.

The others would turn up, talk at us for a while to tick a box, then vanish until the next meeting. Starmer would ask questions, listen to the responses, provide feedback and make changes for improvement where he could.

When you look at both parties it is very clear that Starmer and his team have a far greater understanding of what is going on for normal people than anyone on the Tory front bench, or the rest of their party for that matter.

For those who have been paying attention, ever since he became leader of the Labour Party he has been constantly travelling around the country talking to people, listening and getting a real idea of what is going on in this country at ground level. 

He will make a far better PM than anyone currently likely to become leader of the Tories once Sunak is ousted but he has got an incredibly tough job to do in overturning the 14 years of misrule.

As for your comment about the CPS. The whole of the CJS; the CPS, the Court Service, the police and probation, have all been decimated by the Tory policy of austerity. Year after year our budgets were cut and we spent too much time having to manage these cuts. The only way we could save money was to lose staff and close buildings. You save more money by losing the longest serving and most experienced staff (and they are most likely to seek a severance package) The rest of the Criminal Justice System were in the same boat which is why the whole thing is a “shambles”.

You will probably be aware that the situation is the same for pretty much all of our public services. Something to consider when you head off to the polling booth later in the year. Can the country survive another five years of being governed by this bunch of self serving incompetents?

Apart from The time when you got caught out claiming you spent much of your career prosecuting rape, then a few months later you said the same thing about knife crime, when you were reminded of your lies you were forced to admit that your role was actually preparing files. If exposing your web of lies and hypocrisy makes me the forum wind up merchant then happy to wear that with pride. 

as for your comment about the CPS losing staff and buildings everything is computerised these days there is no need for big filing cabinets, pools of typists and administrators. Maybe your victim mentality has held you back from moving with the times?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1