Israel

egg

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I've never disagreed.  Just asked you to clarify which bit was 'bollocks'.

You've managed to tie yourself up in knots again over something really rather simple.

It’s not rocket science!!

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

I've never disagreed.  Just asked you to clarify which bit was 'bollocks'.

You've managed to tie yourself up in knots again over something really rather simple.

You gave the impression that you thought we had nothing to do with the war crimes we are seeing, that’s what I thought was wrong.

How much we are actually complicit doesn’t really matter to us, it’s how much the Arab world see us as being part of it that is important. Especially those who are prepared to blow themselves up on tube trains for their cause. When that much hatred festers there is inevitably some comeback.

Just now, whelk said:

So basically just a Hamas apologist when it boils down to it

No, those who carried it out were sick cunts. It didn’t happen in isolation though, there are reasons why it happened, and the more people who die in Gaza the more likely it will happen again.

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You gave the impression that you thought we had nothing to do with the war crimes we are seeing, that’s what I thought was wrong.

How much we are actually complicit doesn’t really matter to us, it’s how much the Arab world see us as being part of it that is important. Especially those who are prepared to blow themselves up on tube trains for their cause. When that much hatred festers there is inevitably some comeback.

We don't have anything to do with the war crimes being committed - despite what the loon in the article you linked thinks.

We sold weapons, those weapons were used to kill people.  Turns out they did exacly what they said on the tin.

Just because some tinpot says we are culpable, doesn't make it true.  We are no more culpable than the gun shops in America that sold the guns that went on to be used in school shootings.

As for festering hatred, that's never going to change unless the world is rid of religion.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We don't have anything to do with the war crimes being committed - despite what the loon in the article you linked thinks.

We sold weapons, those weapons were used to kill people.  Turns out they did exacly what they said on the tin.

Just because some tinpot says we are culpable, doesn't make it true.  We are no more culpable than the gun shops in America that sold the guns that went on to be used in school shootings.

As for festering hatred, that's never going to change uless the world is rid of religion.

It’s not just the weapons we’ve sold, they have used our drones, we’ve abstained from UN resolutions on cease fires and the US have used our airbase in Cyprus for weapons transfers. Plus we are getting involved in the Red Sea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Rent free in your head as usual.

You sad cunt

:lol:, don’t flatter yourself. You should flattered I am here to show you the error of your ways

What a shame you have to resort to calling people cunts because you made yourself look stupid again. Sad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

It’s not just the weapons we’ve sold, they have used our drones, we’ve abstained from UN resolutions on cease fires and the US have used our airbase in Cyprus for weapons transfers. Plus we are getting involved in the Red Sea.

They haven't used 'our drones', they've used 'their' drones.  Surely even you know the difference between ours and theirs?

Not sure what relevance the US using our airbase to transfer weapons has got to do with anything.  I've already pointed out that the US are selling weapons.  They've got to get them to Israel somehow.  How else should that happen?

We are involved in the red sea (well, Syria, Iran and Yemen) to protect international interests and uphold the UN resolution https://press.un.org/en/2024/sc15561.doc.htm

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The Saudis use our weapons against the Houthis, so at least some of the Muslim world are on our side.

• Like 1

I agree that he needed to be suspended. I don’t necessarily agree that everyone who questions the government of Netanyahu has to be an anti-Semite. If you question Sunak’s government it doesn’t make he a Brit hater. If you question Macron’s government it doesn’t mean you hate the French.

He was unwise in his choice of words but there are questions about how this was allowed to happen, given all of the intelligence we now know that the Israelis had a ground level that something was brewing. Many Israelis are openly questioning Netanyahu about why this happened when they are supposed to be one of the best prepared military forces in the world. It doesn’t make them antisemitic. It makes them ordinary people who want answers.

And before I get jumped on again, I am not saying that Netanyahu let this attack go ahead deliberately, but I like many any normal people, would like to know why so many red flags were seemingly missed.

The disproportionate reaction had not only served to alienate Israel from some of its allies but it has also served to make Jewish people around the world feel more unsafe. It has made a volatile region even more volatile and it is effecting world peace. No one is above scrutiny. Not even Netanyahu. His mistake was not to question, but to make assumptions that have yet to be proven or otherwise.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I agree that he needed to be suspended. I don’t necessarily agree that everyone who questions the government of Netanyahu has to be an anti-Semite. If you question Sunak’s government it doesn’t make he a Brit hater. If you question Macron’s government it doesn’t mean you hate the French.

He was unwise in his choice of words but there are questions about how this was allowed to happen, given all of the intelligence we now know that the Israelis had a ground level that something was brewing. Many Israelis are openly questioning Netanyahu about why this happened when they are supposed to be one of the best prepared military forces in the world. It doesn’t make them antisemitic. It makes them ordinary people who want answers.

And before I get jumped on again, I am not saying that Netanyahu let this attack go ahead deliberately, but I like many any normal people, would like to know why so many red flags were seemingly missed.

The disproportionate reaction had not only served to alienate Israel from some of its allies but it has also served to make Jewish people around the world feel more unsafe. It has made a volatile region even more volatile and it is effecting world peace. No one is above scrutiny. Not even Netanyahu. His mistake was not to question, but to make assumptions that have yet to be proven or otherwise.

And that is likely not by accident but by design.

If the Jewish diaspora didn't feel persecuted and unsafe then his whole narrative of Israel needing to exist as the safe haven, nation-state of the Jews collapses.

It's like a mob protection racket on a global scale. He's offering Jews everywhere safety, but he's the one creating the danger in the first place.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And that is likely not by accident but by design.

If the Jewish diaspora didn't feel persecuted and unsafe then his whole narrative of Israel needing to exist as the safe haven, nation-state of the Jews collapses.

It's like a mob protection racket on a global scale. He's offering Jews everywhere safety, but he's the one creating the danger in the first place.

So you basically agree with Azhar Ali then? Outraged he isn’t being supported by Labour. Maybe he could be Foreign Secretary in the next government given he has such insight when others have missed?

Edited by whelk

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

So you basically agree with Azhar Ali then? Outraged he isn’t being supported by Labour. Maybe he could be Foreign Secretary in the next government given he has such insight when others have missed?

That's quite a leap. His comments were ill advised in the current political landscape and I can completely understand why Labour withdrew their support for him.

I wouldn't go so far as to claim for certain that the Israeli govt allowed the attack to happen. But Netenyahu is an evil cunt, and given his statement about reducing Gaza to rubble in the immediate aftermath of the attack, you can't help but wonder if there might be a small grain of truth in it.

The idea that Israel would let them do it is a bit crazy, not sure how it is in any way anti-semitic though.

The anti-semitism card is a cracking defence for Israel, you can see how they get away with their murdering rampage.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That's quite a leap. His comments were ill advised in the current political landscape and I can completely understand why Labour withdrew their support for him.

I wouldn't go so far as to claim for certain that the Israeli govt allowed the attack to happen. But Netenyahu is an evil cunt, and given his statement about reducing Gaza to rubble in the immediate aftermath of the attack, you can't help but wonder if there might be a small grain of truth in it.

I can see a cynical mind would allow this. It was so easy. Taking 2 years planning etc and the spy services not getting any clue? Im getting all conspiracy here, but I wonder if the attack on Pearl Harbour was allowed, amazing that all the aircraft carriers were out on that day, and so were safe

The green party candidate has resigned for similar comments as this labour MP candidate. The absolute joke of it is the labour guy will probably still get elected as an "independent" as he'll show as labour on the ballot, and no other labour candidate will be presented.

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

He was unwise in his choice of words...

I'd probably say he was antisemitic in his choice of words which was why ultimately Labour removed their support of him.  In addtion to the part about Israel being complicit with the Hamas attack, he also went to to defend the MP Andy McDonald specifically saying "he shouldn't have been suspended" before adding: "The media – and some of the people in the media from certain Jewish quarters – were giving crap about what he said."  Add this to his original statement about Israel deliberately allowing Hamas to massacre people as a pretext to flatten Gaza, it's pretty damning stuff and goes far beyond "unwise"; if it's not outright AS then it's certainly coming from that standpoint. 

40 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The green party candidate has resigned for similar comments as this labour MP candidate. The absolute joke of it is the labour guy will probably still get elected as an "independent" as he'll show as labour on the ballot, and no other labour candidate will be presented.

Why is it a joke, the rules are very strict.

This is partly why Labour dithered as they were in a difficult position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

.......but I wonder if the attack on Pearl Harbour was allowed, amazing that all the aircraft carriers were out on that day, and so were safe

Why was the radar test installation turned off ? Why weren't the aircraft at Hickam Field dispersed despite warnings of something in the wind ?

The amazing thing about Pearl Harbor is that most of the "sunk" battleships were refloated, repaired, and took active parts in the war, and the West Virginia was present in Tokyo Bay for the Japanese surrender.

Edited by badgerx16

52 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The Green candidate criticised Palestinians and Islam. The deadline for substituting a candidate was Feb 2nd.

Edited by badgerx16

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I'd probably say he was antisemitic in his choice of words which was why ultimately Labour removed their support of him.  In addtion to the part about Israel being complicit with the Hamas attack, he also went to to defend the MP Andy McDonald specifically saying "he shouldn't have been suspended" before adding: "The media – and some of the people in the media from certain Jewish quarters – were giving crap about what he said."  Add this to his original statement about Israel deliberately allowing Hamas to massacre people as a pretext to flatten Gaza, it's pretty damning stuff and goes far beyond "unwise"; if it's not outright AS then it's certainly coming from that standpoint. 

Crazy stuff to say before an election. Listening on the radio and apparently the guy is ok and operates well across all faiths. They went on to say, what is more depressing is that this type of talk was encouraged in Rochdale.

Too many religious nutters in the world.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I can see a cynical mind would allow this. It was so easy. Taking 2 years planning etc and the spy services not getting any clue? Im getting all conspiracy here, but I wonder if the attack on Pearl Harbour was allowed, amazing that all the aircraft carriers were out on that day, and so were safe

You would hope that it was down to a catastrophic intel failure but it is odd. The last people you expect to be caught with their pants down are the Israeli intelligence/military. Then we have the reports that Netanyahu previously supported Hamas financially. The New York Times reported on the numerous intel signs that were known to the Israeli government prior to the attack. There was a strange delay in the military response. As conspiracy theories go you can see why this one gained traction, not least for the way that the response by the IDF has been far from proportionate.

Netanyahu had a great deal to answer for. Not just for the deliberate mass killing of tens of thousands of civilians and the destruction of Gaza, but also for the lack of preparedness for an attack that they had plenty of intel that was forthcoming.

As for the latest effort to derail Labour’s election bid, the Mail have been playing a sneaky game. They have been sitting on this story for some time but chose to drop it just when Labour had no chance to replace the candidate before the by-election. Not only that, they released part of it then left it a while to release the rest to make sure they got a double whammy against Labour. Why not release the story as soon as they had it and all at once? Clearly it was held back to do the most damage. So much for democracy. Labour voters are now left with hard choices to make and have no where else to go.

One more point. The right wing media are all over Labour and antisemitism whilst not batting an eyelid to the Islamophobia rife in the Tory Party. But even when Boris Johnson writes anti semantic prose in a novel, not a whisper (they are even supporting his return to politics).

And where were the anti-semantic jibes from the Farage fan boys (of which we have one at least here) when he came out with this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html

The Tories have no positive stuff to fight on in advance of the election so buckle up for more anti-Semantic, anti-woke, yeah but Jeremy Corbyn, Starmer defended terrorists and didn’t prosecute Savile, doesn’t know what a woman is crap daily from the right wing media and repeated endlessly on social media by those who still think that Labour are to blame for the last 14 years of misrule and that Brexit was a good thing.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The Tories have no positive stuff to fight on in advance of the election so buckle up for more anti-Semantic, anti-woke, yeah but Jeremy Corbyn, Starmer defended terrorists and didn’t prosecute Savile, doesn’t know what a woman is crap daily from the right wing media and repeated endlessly on social media by those who still think that Labour are to blame for the last 14 years of misrule and that Brexit was a good thing.

Most people reading such outlets as the Fail, Torygraph, or Express will be blindly voting Conservative anyway, so it is hardly anything other than confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

You would hope that it was down to a catastrophic intel failure but it is odd. The last people you expect to be caught with their pants down are the Israeli intelligence/military. Then we have the reports that Netanyahu previously supported Hamas financially. The New York Times reported on the numerous intel signs that were known to the Israeli government prior to the attack. There was a strange delay in the military response. As conspiracy theories go you can see why this one gained traction, not least for the way that the response by the IDF has been far from proportionate.

Netanyahu had a great deal to answer for. Not just for the deliberate mass killing of tens of thousands of civilians and the destruction of Gaza, but also for the lack of preparedness for an attack that they had plenty of intel that was forthcoming.

As for the latest effort to derail Labour’s election bid, the Mail have been playing a sneaky game. They have been sitting on this story for some time but chose to drop it just when Labour had no chance to replace the candidate before the by-election. Not only that, they released part of it then left it a while to release the rest to make sure they got a double whammy against Labour. Why not release the story as soon as they had it and all at once? Clearly it was held back to do the most damage. So much for democracy. Labour voters are now left with hard choices to make and have no where else to go.

One more point. The right wing media are all over Labour and antisemitism whilst not batting an eyelid to the Islamophobia rife in the Tory Party. But even when Boris Johnson writes anti semantic prose in a novel, not a whisper (they are even supporting his return to politics).

And where were the anti-semantic jibes from the Farage fan boys (of which we have one at least here) when he came out with this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html

Why is everything doom and gloom with you? One day, i hope, we may see a post from you that isn't either moaning, complaining, slagging people off or attacking people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Why is everything doom and gloom with you? One day, i hope, we may see a post from you that isn't either moaning, complaining, slagging people off or attacking people. 

Especially as it is Pancake Day and Saints are on the telly.

• Like 1

A few thoughts on how I think Starmer comes across on this one:

Failure in integrity: If he really held these views strongly, they would have suspended Ali immediately. The comments clearly went past other suspensions. He didn’t feel strongly enough about it, in the face of having to give up a by-election.

Failure in leadership: Instead of showing a strong personality, with committed values, he’s managed to alienate the Jewish community and those who view Labour as still tainted with anti-semitism. Then he’s got his party to defend Ali for a few days, making that worse. It also alienated the people and supporters of those who’ve already been suspended for what they feel were less severe things  (if there is such a thing on this subject). Then he manages to alienate Ali’s supporters by having to suspend him anyway, as there were more reveals.

Failure in governance: A number of days supporting Ali, and not finding out the full details of what went on in the meeting, why no one at it had seemingly raised it, and beginning to look to see if there were deeper concerns. For his team, who briefed on all those interviews, not to have the first idea on how a paper runs a story is laughable. To not know how to investigate an issue doesn’t reflect well on his past.

Suspending Ali would have obviously ruined a whole campaign and upset a lot of supporters. Not an easy thing to do. But that’s the decisions he has to be able to get right first time as leader. Not just of his party, but of the country.  He set out those standards. He’s been happily purging others from the party on those terms. But now had to be dragged into doing it, rather than on principle.

Failure in Risk: How they thought this wasn’t going to be used endlessly by the Conservatives at every opportunity if was elected as a Labour candidate. Every single mention of Gaza with Ali on the Labour benches would act as a lightning rod. Any interview he did, it would come up. There would be ongoing damage limitation.

Failure in Reason: He’s now saying he took “decisive action" over the incident. Had he applied the same criteria to this, as he has done in other incidents, then Ali would have been suspended. Instead, they took a tried, tested and flawed approach.  Issue a humble apology, brief for lots of supportive interviews, hope the news cycle moves on and get through the by-election. Stumble blindly into the future isn’t a great look for a political party on any issue.

Decisive action when he’s PM will seemingly be to act in the interests of his party over broader concerns, defend that to the hilt, get it utterly wrong, back track, and then treat the public like idiots by pretending all of the wrong bits didn’t happen. Something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

God it’s depressing. A Labour candidate is “unsupported” because of the anti semitic comment he made and it seems to have empowered our resident anti semite. 😩

Can't wait to see how empowered he becomes when he learns a second one has been suspended (Graham Jones) and apparently another five also being investigated (but no news of them being suspended just yet).

Cameron joins the ever lengthening list of anti semites.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/13/israel-in-breach-of-international-law-if-gaza-denied-food-and-water-says-cameron

Anyone here know how many Tories have been suspended for anti semitism/Islamophobia?

Was Johnson suspended after publishing Seventy Two Virgins? 🤔 

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/boris-johnson-accused-of-employing-pernicious-antisemitic-tropes-in-books/

No hypocrisy here at all eh!

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/13/israel-in-breach-of-international-law-if-gaza-denied-food-and-water-says-cameron

Anyone here know how many Tories have been suspended for anti semitism/Islamophobia?

Correct. No hypocrisy at all. We are all aware how incompetent the Tory party has been and continues to be.

Labour have been trumpeted as the new broom to bring politics back in line.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose!!

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Criticising the Israeli Government, the IDF, or Netanyahu himself, is not anti-Semitic. Saying the Jews get everything they deserve is, as was the sign recently seen in Davos saying that Jews can no longer hire skis or sledges.

Edited by badgerx16

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Criticising the Israeli Government, the IDF, or Netanyahu himself, is not anti-Semitic. Saying the Jews get everything they deserve is, as was the sign recently seen in Davos saying that Jews can no longer hire skis or sledges.

He doesn’t get it and never will. Desperate to bring people into his group as his tiny mind seems to only be able to think in binary terms. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whelk said:

He doesn’t get it and never will. Desperate to bring people into his group as his tiny mind seems to only be able to think in binary terms. 

What I don’t get is that, through his own words, Duckhunter says that anyone who criticises a Jewish person is anti semitic. Lots of people who have criticised the action of the Israelis have been labelled as anti semitic. You can criticise Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus etc all you like, but as soon as you question the actions of the Israeli government you get jumped on as being antisemitic. Those who use antisemitism to shut down valid criticisms are the small minded ones. 

Edited by sadoldgit
Typos

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

Bit more detail here. Not entirely clear what happened after he pulled the flag and told matey to fuck iff. I'd guess that he flew the flag, got some comment, lost his shit. Regardless, he's an idiot for pulling a flag at a comedy show. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/13/soho-theatre-ban-comedian-paul-crurrie-israel-palestine/#:~:text=Soho Theatre is consulting with police following the incident on,“Palestine will be free”.

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What I don’t get is that, through his own words, Duckhunter says that anyone who critiques a Jewish person is anti semitic. Lots of people who have criticised the action of the Israelis have been labelled as anti semitic. You can criticise Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hingis etc all you like, but as soon as you question the actions of the Israeli government you get jumped in as being antisemtic. Those who use antisemitism to shut down valid criticisms are the small minded ones. 

This has been explained to you many times dopey. Many times, 

19 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What I don’t get is that, through his own words, Duckhunter says that anyone who critiques a Jewish person is anti semitic. Lots of people who have criticised the action of the Israelis have been labelled as anti semitic. You can criticise Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hingis etc all you like, but as soon as you question the actions of the Israeli government you get jumped in as being antisemtic. Those who use antisemitism to shut down valid criticisms are the small minded ones. 

That article I just linked suggested a verbal attack on an Israeli guy, but also suggests anti semitism. I've read a few more articles on it and it seems his issue was with an Israeli because of Israel actions, but the general reporting is that was that he was anti semitic. Is telling an Israeli bloke to fuck off anti semitic? 

Whether you're anti semitic I don't know or care, but you've thrown enough wrong labels at others, so don't be whining when you get a taste of your own mate. 

Edited by egg