Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

6 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

No doubt Bazunu was really poor last season, and he has had a couple of errors in these first three pre-season games, but to act like a 21 year old keeper will never improve (when keepers famously start performing their best in their late 20s and onwards) is laughable.

Stat time. Bazunu had the worst post-shot expected goals (PSXG) in the top 5 European leagues last season. Essentially, was conceding goals that weren't placed in difficult areas of the net more than anyone else in a top league.

Guess who was the best keeper in this stat (which best quantifies a keeper's ability to save shots) in the Championship last season? Angus Gunn.

Gunn has become a good shot-stopper since leaving us, and Bazunu will become a good shot-stopper too. Will he be good enough this season? I don't know, but I think he deserves more of a chance than three pre-season games to try and iron out his inconsistencies.

Swansea gave up a lot of goals from sloppy passing around the back. I think we have seen that eliminated for us so far with Gav in goal.

I believe that Martin and his staff will have to calculate whether the goals we score from his build-up play and the goals we don't concede from doing it poorly, outweigh the poor saves that will inevitably happen with a young keeper. Their lack of movement for a keeper so far makes me think that, initially at least, they feel like Bazunu is a net positive to the team.

We have 5 games before the window closes. If Bazunu is performing badly in that time, then I'm sure we will bring someone in, but for now he needs the support of the fans. His confidence must be very low and negativity from the fans in the stadium won't help.

Personally I'm happy to give him a chance but we should buy another keeper now to challenge him or replace him if he proves himself not up to it. If we fail to do that then we are effectively stuck with the problem until January just as we were last year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I'm happy to give him a chance but we should buy another keeper now to challenge him or replace him if he proves himself not up to it. If we fail to do that then we are effectively stuck with the problem until January just as we were last year. 

Yep. Awful last season, and mistakes in pre season have resulted in goals. His occasional moments of magic show that he's got potential, but he's just too error prone. We need a consistent keeper, and Baz isn't it unfortunately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Praying for a new number one come the start of the season.

Realistically, we ain't doing nothing in the keeper department until someone takes McCarthy off our hands.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

Why would he be loaned to a League 2 club when he's already been League 1 keeper of the year?

Confidence. He hadn’t been through a season at a dysfunctional club leaking like a colander (and that’s some statement about Saints given the state of Pompey over the last 15 years). He couldn’t go back there now to rebuild and I’m not sure one of the clubs aiming for the top 2 like Derby would risk him. Selles and Reading possibly but with their finances we’d be paying all the wages. Whereas Wrexham/Notts/Bradford/Salford might pay a little. Going to a L1 fighting the drop would be more damage to his confidence.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

My gut feeling is he’ll be our first choice this year, show a definite improvement on last season and overall be quite decent.

Well he was really shit last season and has made two howlers in the last two games so I don’t share your optimism 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

People focus too much on the 1 v 1 that led to the goal but conveniently forget about the 1 v 1 he saved a certain goal.

Players need to stop these 1 v 1s, guess there was a loose ball in midfield and our CB's were caught out.

This

Has pulled off two fantastic saves pre season, one an absolute world class save… criticism comes to him very very quickly and praise is very rare. He’s still so young in particular for a keeper. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

This

Has pulled off two fantastic saves pre season, one an absolute world class save… criticism comes to him very very quickly and praise is very rare. He’s still so young in particular for a keeper. 

If you're costing your team a minimum of one goal a game then it really doesn't matter how many saves you make in between. 

• Like 3

Just now, Saint_clark said:

If you're costing your team a minimum of one goal a game then it really doesn't matter how many saves you make in between. 

😂😂😂😂 what a fuckin ridiculous statement, so he has cost saints on his own one goal a game has he. 

• Like 1

Just now, Galway saint said:

Yes but it’s a keepers job to make saves and statistically he doesn’t make enough of those to offset all the gaffs 

And it’s a defenders job to defend and a midfielders job to create and a strikers job to score and statistically none of our outfield players do enough of that so just get rid of the lot of them 

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

This

He constantly makes mistakes a schoolboy keeper would be annoyed about.

• Haha 2

What a load of tosh, so none of the goals were poor marking, poor tracking back, giving the ball away stupidly and being punished 

Things can be both. 

The defending was poor but if you want to stay up/get promoted your Goalkeeper cannot be making a howler a game which typically results in a goal. We all know it's the least forgiving position in the game.

We need an experienced goalkeeper. He is not ready.

• Like 1

And it’s a defenders job to defend and a midfielders job to create and a strikers job to score and statistically none of our outfield players do enough of that so just get rid of the lot of them 

What a load of tosh, so none of the goals were poor marking, poor tracking back, giving the ball away stupidly and being punished 

Listen, you're not wrong. But the point is that the one position in the team that should always be as dependable as possible is goalkeeper, because you can't afford to take risks. Everyone else in the team has someone else to fall back on - except the keeper. It's why going for youthful promise coupled with inexperience was suicidal when so many experienced heads were available, and in my opinion is the single greatest contributor to our relegation, to the extent that just changing that one signing I believe would have kept us up. 

• Like 2

Just now, HKsaint said:

Bazunu is the main cause of our relegation. 

I agree, feels like it's an unpopular thing to say because nobody likes to pin it on one person, team game etc etc but I honestly believe we'd have stayed up with Leno, Navas, Henderson etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

He is gonna be a top class keeper - no doubt would have been afforded much more patience if he came through the academy. 

But he didn't, he was our first choice keeper signing costing more than Nick Pope did for Newcastle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Bazunu is the main cause of our relegation. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I agree, feels like it's an unpopular thing to say because nobody likes to pin it on one person, team game etc etc but I honestly believe we'd have stayed up with Leno, Navas, Henderson etc. 

Yeah, all those games where Moi, AA, Che and Onuachu were slamming in goals but we lost 4-3 because of Baz really cost us.

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

He is gonna be a top class keeper - no doubt would have been afforded much more patience if he came through the academy. 

Perhaps he will and perhaps he won’t.   None of us can say but hopefully we can all agree he’s currently not a top class keeper and was way off that level last season and in pre season. You can’t have a shit keeper and be successful so if we want to be promoted we need a new and experienced keeper 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

😂😂😂😂 yeah ok then, sorry but your just sticking out leg comment provided enough evidence. Ignore list 

Fucking gutted that somebody whose football experience is playing for a half-decent tyro side has put me on ignore.

Devastated, won’t be able to sleep tonight.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yeah, all those games where Moi, AA, Che and Onuachu were slamming in goals but we lost 4-3 because of Baz really cost us.

I reckon he easily cost us 10 points last season with the mistakes he made. We finished 11 points behind. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking gutted that somebody whose football experience is playing for a half-decent tyro side has put me on ignore.

😂😂😂😂😂😂 again no clue have you 

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

The fact you’ve referred to the tyro league when talking about football quality made me spit my coffee out. Well done 👏 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu