Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

31 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He's let in 85 goals so far this season. 

Aye, and has been their best player by a mile and probably kept it down to 85

I dead to think the number of goals shipped had Bazunu been their keeper

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Aye, and has been their best player by a mile and probably kept it down to 85

I dead to think the number of goals shipped had Bazunu been their keeper

Talk about hitting a man when he’s down…

I agree probably too many goals gone in that lookedsave-able but Baz is not just a shot stopper though. He is/was Russell’s totem for PB based football. It starts with the keeper. Without Baz there would not be the ( largely successful) style weve seen all season. 
With all the criticism being handed out about him I thought only fair to also identify the positives. 

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Have you watched his games this season? He has played well every time selected. 

Discounting that free kick he let in against Watford, which was pathetic quite frankly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Talk about hitting a man when he’s down…

I agree probably too many goals gone in that lookedsave-able but Baz is not just a shot stopper though. He is/was Russell’s totem for PB based football. It starts with the keeper. Without Baz there would not be the ( largely successful) style weve seen all season. 
With all the criticism being handed out about him I thought only fair to also identify the positives. 

Lol why are we making out like bazunu is the only goal keeper capable of passing to his defenders as well ..  all this ball at feet stuff  is the biggest load of bs  I’ve heard since the stuff about elyounoussi being selected all the time for off the ball work (which he wasn’t even that great at anyway 

Might as well sign a striker who’s good with his chest 🤣

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

Johansson at Rotherham is decent but seemingly current flavour of the month amongst Saints fans who were probably unaware of his existence before this season and are now stating we should sign him based on having seen him play twice in his career.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Lumley was the worst shot stopper in the Championship last season, not Baz-levels of poor stats but in the same category. I feel like our recruitment is just taking the piss.

Wouldn’t disagree with that, but Lumley would still be an improvement.

9 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Iol I couldn’t care less if his distribution is as good as Glenn  hoddle. What good does it do us ? What’s more important the fact that nearly any shot on our goal goes in past bazunu or his  silly distribution ?

hes been absolutely shocking for 2 years 

it’s like people try to find anything to argue his cause his job is to keep the bell out of the net and he totally sucks at it 

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1781390801810940396

Like it or not, he's a key part of our game. Pretty apt example truth be told - since playing it to baz led to a goal against today's opponents. We play the ball around the back to draw teams on and break - and Macca and Lumley are no where near as good at that as Baz was.

Edited by Saint86

31 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1781390801810940396

Like it or not, he's a key part of our game. Pretty apt example truth be told - since playing it to baz led to a goal against today's opponents. We play the ball around the back to draw teams on and break - and Macca and Lumley are no where near as good at that as Baz was.

Without that 6 yard pass we'd be in the relegation zone for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu
10 hours ago, trousers said:

One assumes the quality of Rotherham's defence was a factor in a significant number of those goals. The more important stat is how many goal preventing saves he made. Do we know how he's compares with Bazunu on that measure? (As a percentage of shots on goal, as no doubt he'll have had many more shots to deal with than Bazunu overall)

As I have always said, such statistics are meaningless for the reasons that you state.

The total number of goals conceded gives a rough indication of goalkeeper quality yet we have people on here saying that if we'd had anyone but Baz we'd be top of the league. As you say, it's the quality of the defence as a whole that is most important and ours is just not good enough. I'd rather they concentrated on keeping their shape and closing down quickly than playing pretty triangles across their goalmouth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1