Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

9 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

watched the second a few times and it’s not one of his worst ( from the angles i’ve seen) but yet another to file in the ‘ could have done better’ category. 

i can’t remember the last time he made a decent save - WBA away perhaps. seems the club and management are happy with a keeper who doesn’t make saves and lets in a lot of goals he should keep out.

i like blackmore but on solent today he said that baz was good with his feet and a good shotstopper but was not confident coming off his line. where on earth has he seen evidence of good shot stopping.

we are now nearly two years into this folly and hopefully we won’t make it a third but I’m far from convinced. we just need to cut our losses as a decent replacement would be an easy way to cut the number of goals we concede.

Personally don't think he's that bad at claiming crosses. His shot stopping is the glaring weakness. Surely Adam should be able to see that.

Once again we're struck by a goal which leaves everyone with the question ''should he have done better?'' - it's one of those that if he saves it, it's a ''what a save!!'' moment - but he doesn't seem to have those moments in his game. You need your goalkeeper at whatever level to produce a few of those a season, and I'd expect them to.

• Like 5

Still baffles me that we don’t even try someone else ..it’s clear as day that he’s a liability .. McCarthy gets a lot of stick but one season he was nearly player of the year.  Just wish we would actually try to change it now .. going into the playoffs with baz in goal is asking for disaster 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Once again we're struck by a goal which leaves everyone with the question ''should he have done better?'' - it's one of those that if he saves it, it's a ''what a save!!'' moment - but he doesn't seem to have those moments in his game. You need your goalkeeper at whatever level to produce a few of those a season, and I'd expect them to.

Look at the Ipswich goalie yesterday, he pulled off a few ‘worldies’.

He’s absolute pony. I’m not sure there’s another club who’d be as patient as our fanbase have been. We are at a huge disadvantage over literally every other team in that any shot placed into the corner , is a goal. How can this be sustainable for the club to actually move forward and consistently win games? I can only imagine how many goals this guy would concede if he was playing for a team who were struggling in this league and allowing more shots at goal than we do. Rotherham would probably have conceded 120 by now. 

Edited by Mboto Gorge
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Still baffles me that we don’t even try someone else ..it’s clear as day that he’s a liability .. McCarthy gets a lot of stick but one season he was nearly player of the year.  Just wish we would actually try to change it now .. going into the playoffs with baz in goal is asking for disaster 

Nearly? In 17/18  McCarthy was player of the season.

We ain't changing it now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Personally don't think he's that bad at claiming crosses. His shot stopping is the glaring weakness. Surely Adam should be able to see that.

That’s a good point……I don’t remember a time when I’ve thought (or SMS has applauded) a top save from him. 

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Once again we're struck by a goal which leaves everyone with the question ''should he have done better?'' 

Not sure he got his positioning/angles quite right.  He's a tad too close to his near post. 

3 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

That’s a good point……I don’t remember a time when I’ve thought (or SMS has applauded) a top save from him. 

WBA away ( but obviously not at St Mary’s) 

• Like 1

To be a decent professional goalkeeper surely you have to demonstrate an elite ability to regularly make incredible saves that defy logic. We see this time and time again with keepers even in the Championship. Unfortunately we rarely, if ever see, it from Baz. A shot towards the corner is inevitably a goal. This often makes it hard to win matches and we drop points that we shouldn't. We've had a mixed bag of keepers but every one of them was capable of pulling off worldie saves on a fairly regular basis even if some let in too many howlers. Surely the coaches at the club can see the glaring weakness in Baz when it comes to saving the ball. He seems a great lad and has some attributes but shot-stopping is not one of them. Strange for a goalkeeper making his living at a high level.

preston away was a decent save. apart from that and WBA can’t recall others but could be wrong.

he started out as an outfield player and that what he still looks like to me. 

he’s part of the ‘possession’ based football philosophy that we have invented at saints where being good at distribution is more important than keeping the ball out of the net 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

preston away was a decent save. apart from that and WBA can’t recall others but could be wrong.

he’s part of the ‘possession’ based football philosophy that we have invented at saints where being good at distribution is more important than keeping the ball out of the net 

The fact that we have to rack our brains to recall his decent saves speaks volumes. He should be pulling off great saves in most games.

• Like 2

The Leicester six-yard box is an absolute clown show, Leeds have had some howlers - we don't have a monopoly on keeper concerns.

I'd prefer to concentrate more on why we don't take chances, most points have been dropped at the other end.

He spilled another one straight at him yesterday.  It seems Martin is more concerned with what he’s like with the ball at his feet than goalkeeping.

He has very little shot-stopping ability.  No other championship club would want him.  

He is a liability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Galway saint said:

They are the only 2 I can remember as posted above. The West Brom One and the Preston One. He makes good saves so rarely that they become known as ‘The (insert name of opposition) One’ and everybody knows exactly what save people are referring to. There was the Liverpool One last year, so that’s a hat trick of saves over 2 seasons.

32 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

The Leicester six-yard box is an absolute clown show, Leeds have had some howlers - we don't have a monopoly on keeper concerns.

I'd prefer to concentrate more on why we don't take chances, most points have been dropped at the other end.

Leicester and Leeds have conceded 38 and 34 goals respectively. We have let in 54...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I may have mentioned this once or 83 times before ( ;) ), but we're the joint highest scorers in the league, so not sure that perception holds out statistically...?

• Like 3

Just now, trousers said:

I may have mentioned this once or 83 times before ( ;) ), but we're the joint highest scorers in the league, so not sure that perception holds out statistically...?

Yep, add my post from above.....

10 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He spilled another one straight at him yesterday.  It seems Martin is more concerned with what he’s like with the ball at his feet than goalkeeping.

He has very little shot-stopping ability.  No other championship club would want him.  

He is a liability.

Most fans see it, but not it seems RM or those responsible for recruitment. But in RM’s defence he has pretty limited options to choose from. 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Leicester and Leeds have conceded 38 and 34 goals respectively. We have let in 54...

And the league leaders have let in 53... good game this quoting numbers that suit a particular viewpoint malarkey... ;)

30 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

We are the second highest scorers in the league, we’re averaging almost exactly 2 goals per game which is pretty much identical to Ipswich who are top scorers by 4 but have played two games more. I don’t think scoring goals is any sort of undoing for us; it’s more the fact that we’ve conceded 54 goals, 8 other teams in the league have a better or equal goals against figure.

Ipswich have similar stats to us but have made it work much better. Leicester and Leeds have run a much tighter ship, 38 and 34 goals conceded respectively. If we’re in this league next season then much work is to be done on fixing that leaky defence.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

It doesn’t. Just imagine how many more points we might have had if he’d made something incredible like, er, 10 good saves this season!!

For a club that used to pride itself on its Academy and young talent we seem to have a blind spot in bringing through GK’s.

The last one I recall making an impact and looking like a prospect was Gerry Gurr. In about 1969.

50 minutes ago, Badger said:

Most fans see it, but not it seems RM or those responsible for recruitment. But in RM’s defence he has pretty limited options to choose from. 

Possibly because he has always championed Baz so why would the club look for a better quality alternative?

For various reasons both Forster and McCarthy were given big contracts. That the club then spent every season trying to get them out the door, so they could get out of those deals. It wasn't because of the obvious talent of the first choice keeper, that they weren't getting games (although there were injuries and drops in form in there at times).

Even last season, Baz could have been removed from the firing line a lot sooner than he was. I don't think McCarthy's stats were great either then, but the season had long since sunk, beyond anyone coming out of it well.

41 minutes ago, saintant said:

Possibly because he has always championed Baz so why would the club look for a better quality alternative?

As said on an earlier thread, I don’t think RM can be criticised for publicly supporting his players (incl Bazunu at the start of the season). I was a bit surprised he publicly criticised him after the Ipswich game.

Whether he privately and firmly believes that guff though is a different matter, he can’t’ - or at least shouldn’t - be blind to the GK’s failings. 

You’d hope the role of scouts is to look at improving all positions (not just GK). 

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

As said on an earlier thread, I don’t think RM can be criticised for publicly supporting his players (incl Bazunu at the start of the season). I was a bit surprised he publicly criticised him after the Ipswich game.

Whether he privately and firmly believes that guff though is a different matter, he can’t’ - or at least shouldn’t - be blind to the GK’s failings. 

You’d hope the role of scouts is to look at improving all positions (not just GK). 

Our scouts focus mostly on attacking midfielders. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Most key games that have cost us have been dominated but we have not taken chances, then the defence has leaked - if you are three up, as you should be, it doesn't matter.

Being joint top scorers and drawing 1-1 with Rotherham can go hand in hand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Most key games that have cost us have been dominated but we have not taken chances, then the defence has leaked - if you are three up, as you should be, it doesn't matter.

But it does go hand in hand as it happened

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Fair point sir 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Team of the season has been announced. 

Martin must be very confused about the choice of keeper. He was so confident...

That’s a fucking piss take. Picking the team when the season hasn’t even ended. It’s a joke. Baz always comes good at the end of the season.  Take last year, higher league &  he didn’t let a goal in during the last 6 games…

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I'm done, he's fucking shit. Get a proper keeper in next season regardless of what leauge we find ourselves in. 

We might lose a bit from our build up, but we cannot go on having a keeper who saves nothing - costs us way more than he earns over the course of a season. 

Having a keeper who's a little less comfortable with the ball at his feet might actually help us be a bit more direct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I'm done, he's fucking shit. Get a proper keeper in next season regardless of what leauge we find ourselves in. 

We might lose a bit from our build up, but we cannot go on having a keeper who saves nothing - costs us way more than he earns over the course of a season. 

Having a keeper who's a little less comfortable with the ball at his feet might actually help us be a bit more direct. 

Yeah let's change keeper and style, you dman

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah let's change keeper and style, you dman

They say a good goalkeeper is worth 12-15 points a season. How many points has he won us this season?

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

They say a good goalkeeper is worth 12-15 points a season. How many points has he won us this season?

No one can answer your question unless you replace “won” with “costed”. 

I'm undoubtedly in a minority of one but I always thought McCarthy was a pretty good shotstopper. It's when he had to play the system of tippy tap across the box that's when it found him out. I believe it was partly because of this that RM didn't fancy him.

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

This is the difference. Watch these two saves from the Ipswich keeper against Boro which won them a point. There is no way Bazuna would have saved either of them, certainly the first save.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/pa41igJ3MwAuSE6y/

100%, It's not like we're asking him to pull off worldies like that in every game - far from it, just a few a season would be nice, I'd like to see him do something that at least earns us some points - otherwise we might as well stick an outfield player in goal, could potentially be the ultimate Stephens shoe-horn position.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu