Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not going to argue with the points, I really can't remember, but all keepers make mistakes, so fair chance another keeper would have cost us some points too.

You mention Navas on another post. He was fucking terrible when we played them. I know he had a couple of good games for Forest when he first joined, but overall he wasn't great. 

It's difficult to discuss hypothetical, but surely you would accept that getting in a more proven and skilled keeper would mor likely result in less goals conceded and more points? Using your logic, it's a bit like saying if we had signed Haaland last year, we wouldn't know for certain that he wouldn't have got us more points than Che. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is that ridiculous? Statistically he was the worst goalkeeper in the league last year along with the Leeds keeper. He undoubtedly cost us goals and points due to his own goalkeeping ability and the knock-on effect that has on the players around him. I'm not sure how that can even be argued, even if you accept that it wasn't the main reason for relegation and that lots of other factors combined together to achieve it. 

You’ve been looking at too many statistics. Too much soccerball.

Professional players only have their own performances to worry about. Laying on a good chance for a striker to miss is also disappointing.

We were comfortably relegated because as a team we weren’t good enough. To lay it at the feet (or hands) of a goalkeeper is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Then McCarthy came in and was even worse. Something like 17 conceded in 6 games.

Also, we lost 1-0 in the league 9 times. Does that sound like a team who’s main problem is between the sticks?

And hopefully our lack of goals is going to be addressed this summer. They tried (and failed) to address it in January.

But Bazunu looks like he's going to get a free pass? I think that's the problem. The guy isn't good enough. He was dropped too late last season to actually make a difference, and McCarthy is finished in the top two leagues anyway.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He did well to get a hand to it. The attacker was right on top of him and had got their unopposed.he was always most likely to score. If you’re relying on your goalkeeper to save one on ones from a few feet away then you’re going to be disappointed.

What do you make of the fact that statistically he was the worst keeper last year at letting in shots that weren't in difficult areas to save? 

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I had a season ticket. I saw very, very few games where he cost us any points.

It really isn’t complicated.

It's fair to say that you watched a different game to 99% of the fans Whitey. Other people saw a keeper out of his depth who cost us goals and points. 

• Like 3

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

And hopefully our lack of goals is going to be addressed this summer. They tried (and failed) to address it in January.

But Bazunu looks like he's going to get a free pass? I think that's the problem. The guy isn't good enough. He was dropped too late last season to actually make a difference, and McCarthy is finished in the top two leagues anyway.

Six games not enough?

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You’ve been looking at too many statistics. Too much soccerball.

Professional players only have their own performances to worry about. Laying on a good chance for a striker to miss is also disappointing.

We were comfortably relegated because as a team we weren’t good enough. To lay it at the feet (or hands) of a goalkeeper is pathetic.

Please provide the evidence of one poster laying our relegation at the feet of the goalkeeper? That sounds more like extremist rubbish than anyone else has posted on this thread. Literally no one has said that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What do you make of the fact that statistically he was the worst keeper last year at letting in shots that weren't in difficult areas to save? 

There’s that word again. It is meaningless tosh.

When the attackers are allowed to waltz into our penalty area and choose their spot they are always most likely to score. Whoever plays in goal, as was shown when McCarthy was chosen. That goal he let in against Bournemouth was woeful.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Six games not enough?

McCarthy's first game in nets was essentially a must-win against Bournemouth. A complete hail mary from Selles.

McCarthy wasn't good enough anyway, we can see that with hindsight. Injury hasn't helped him in the last 12 months.

But why wasn't another goalkeeper signed in Jan when we were chucking cash at the problems?

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Please provide the evidence of one poster laying our relegation at the feet of the goalkeeper? That sounds more like extremist rubbish than anyone else has posted on this thread. Literally no one has said that. 

But that has been said many times???

• Like 1

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

McCarthy's first game in nets was essentially a must-win against Bournemouth. A complete hail mary from Selles.

McCarthy wasn't good enough anyway, we can see that with hindsight. Injury hasn't helped him in the last 12 months.

But why wasn't another goalkeeper signed in Jan when we were chucking cash at the problems?

At last! The real question.

99% ?

You do realise how few people actually go out of there way to post on here?

So your view is that it's only on here that people think he's not good enough currently to be our number one starting keeper and that his failures last year contributed to our relegation? Because that's the view of pretty much every saints fan I have spoken to. 

There’s that word again. It is meaningless tosh.

When the attackers are allowed to waltz into our penalty area and choose their spot they are always most likely to score. Whoever plays in goal, as was shown when McCarthy was chosen. That goal he let in against Bournemouth was woeful.

McCarthy is a terrible goalkeeper, I'm not sure you will find anyone who would argue otherwise. Are you suggesting that it was an irrelevance who we had in goal last year? That if we had Ederson we wouldn't have conceded less and gained more points as a result? 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He's probably referring to me. I've never said that our relegation is entirely down to him. What I have said many times is that if we could go back and change one single thing about our season to give us the best chance of staying up, I believe signing a more experienced keeper instead of Bazunu would give us that chance. 

I also believe had McCarthy played all season we would have stayed up, as we did with him as first choice previously. He was chucked in way too late, massively lacking match sharpness and bereft of confidence from having to watch Bazunu flap at the ball every week, dive out the way of shots and throw the ball in his own net and still get picked ahead of him. 

• Like 3

At last! The real question.

So is your point that Baz was good enough, or that we should have signed an upgrade in January? You surely can't be arguing both?!

• Haha 1

a confident keeper will run and give confidence to his defenders,sadly a nervy back line will be nervous wrecks with bazuno behind them.Ive said this before and its plainly obvious that his positioning is often wrong and physically he is just to small and this will be shown up big time in this league

• Like 5

Just now, sledger said:

a confident keeper will run and give confidence to his defenders,sadly a nervy back line will be nervous wrecks with bazuno behind them.Ive said this before and its plainly obvious that his positioning is often wrong and physically he is just to small and this will be shown up big time in this league

Exactly, bur Whitey will pop up in a moment to tell you how ridiculous your excellent point sounded to him. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

He's probably referring to me. I've never said that our relegation is entirely down to him. What I have said many times is that if we could go back and change one single thing about our season to give us the best chance of staying up, I believe signing a more experienced keeper instead of Bazunu would give us that chance. 

I also believe had McCarthy played all season we would have stayed up, as we did with him as first choice previously. He was chucked in way too late, massively lacking match sharpness and bereft of confidence from having to watch Bazunu flap at the ball every week, dive out the way of shots and throw the ball in his own net and still get picked ahead of him. 

Personally I think that's a reasonable opinion to have. I don't necessarily agree with you (particularly the bit about McCarthy) but it's not a mad opinion to hold by any means. 

1 minute ago, sledger said:

Absolutely. That's just obvious that a keepers job is not solely what he does between the sticks, but how he leads and commands the defensive unit as well and the confidence he instills in his defenders. It's like a striker who always misses so eventually the rest of the team stop passing to him so he effects the rest of the team as well. 

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There's this guy....

2 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Bazunu is the main cause of our relegation. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

There's this guy....

That's not saying he's the single cause of our relegation at all. He's saying that in his opinion he was the main cause. It's unarguable that he was A cause. I don't necessarily agree that he was the main cause but it's not an outlandish opinion to hold. It's definitely not laying it at his feet as the only cause, that would clearly be ridiculous and no one has done that. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Take your pick. To choose two at random, last year I'd have preferred Neto and Navas to Bazunu in goal. 

Hi @Ed Rooney. It seems you're still on this thread considering you're reacting to everything. It seems a little discourteous to ask for a response and then to ignore it when one is provided. You can forgive anyone reading this not to assume that the reason for your sudden disappearance is because @Wade Garrettis actually aware of who you are and so is fully justified at laughing at you attempting to claim some sort of authority because you had an amateur football career. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hi @Ed Rooney. It seems you're still on this thread considering you're reacting to everything. It seems a little discourteous to ask for a response and then to ignore it when one is provided. You can forgive anyone reading this not to assume that the reason for your sudden disappearance is because @Wade Garrettis actually aware of who you are and so is fully justified at laughing at you attempting to claim some sort of authority because you had an amateur football career. 

Your clearly after a reaction of some sort, not entirely sure what it has to do with you and why you feel the need to speak for anyone on this thread or feel that you are that entitled to speak for anyone on this thread. The fact you have mentioned this again @ both people in your message clearly hoping to ignite something…have a drink… relax… don’t be bothered by things that have no concern to you. Please let me know how many years you were on the books at Saints 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Your clearly after a reaction of some sort, not entirely sure what it has to do with you and why you feel the need to speak for anyone on this thread or feel that you are that entitled to speak for anyone on this thread. The fact you have mentioned this again @ both people in your message clearly hoping to ignite something…have a drink… relax… don’t be bothered by things that have no concern to you. Please let me know how many years you were on the books at Saints 

So he DID know who you were! Maybe a lesson for you there to post with a bit less confidence that you're correct about everything. 

Moving back on topic, why did you request a list of goalkeepers that would have been better to sign than Bazunu last year and then fail to follow up when a list was provided? 

Not really comfortable with the discussions of peoples private lives and personal identities I have to admit. Sure there isn't anything nefarious in it, just don't think it's necessary. 

Pretty sure this forum (or one of its iterations) had a "play the ball, not the man" mantra in terms of responding to posts before, which I think is worth trying to stick to. 

• Like 3

So he DID know who you were! Maybe a lesson for you there to post with a bit less confidence that you're correct about everything. 

Moving back on topic, why did you request a list of goalkeepers that would have been better to sign than Bazunu last year and then fail to follow up when a list was provided? 

He knows as much about me as I do about him. 

😂😂😂 you giving a lecture about posting… thanks 

Back on topic I asked a question about keepers that Saints could have signed and tbf a lot of posters came back with decent suggestions, whether I reply to them or not shouldn’t concern you.

Guys I've been following this thread with interest as it may surprise you i have played a high level of football myself as a goalkeeper, I wont say my name but the only clue i will give you is i live in munich and i hurt my leg skiing last year.

I believe Bazunu will be mustard for the saints in the championship and if anyone knows him tell him to DM Manuel.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's not saying he's the single cause of our relegation at all. He's saying that in his opinion he was the main cause. It's unarguable that he was A cause. I don't necessarily agree that he was the main cause but it's not an outlandish opinion to hold. It's definitely not laying it at his feet as the only cause, that would clearly be ridiculous and no one has done that. 

To be fair he cited it as the "main" reason - thus laying the majority of the blame at Baz's door.

For what it's worth, I disagree. Baz was "a" reason for sure, but in a turgid team that failed to perform all season, his failures were as unremarkable as the rest of the team's.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Guys I've been following this thread with interest as it may surprise you i have played a high level of football myself as a goalkeeper, I wont say my name but the only clue i will give you is i live in munich and i hurt my leg skiing last year.

I believe Bazunu will be mustard for the saints in the championship and if anyone knows him tell him to DM Manuel.

Hi Peter Shilton 😉

• Haha 2

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair he cited it as the "main" reason - this laying the majority of the blame at Baz's door.

For what it's worth, I disagree. Baz was "a" reason for sure, but in a turgid team that failed to perform all season, his failures were as unremarkable as the rest of the team's.

I also disagree that he was the main reason but I could see how someone could come to that conclusion and it's not a ridiculous opinion to hold. Thinking he is the main reason for relegation is also not laying it at his feet because no one thinks he was solely to blame, that would be mental. 

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

He knows as much about me as I do about him. 

😂😂😂 you giving a lecture about posting… thanks 

Back on topic I asked a question about keepers that Saints could have signed and tbf a lot of posters came back with decent suggestions, whether I reply to them or not shouldn’t concern you.

Good. Sounds like you accept we could have signed other decent options last year. Signing Bazunu as first choice last year was clearly a mistake and contributed to our relegation. 

I also disagree that he was the main reason but I could see how someone could come to that conclusion and it's not a ridiculous opinion to hold. Thinking he is the main reason for relegation is also not laying it at his feet because no one thinks he was solely to blame, that would be mental. 

Meh, semantics... Your original statement was :

Please provide the evidence of one poster laying our relegation at the feet of the goalkeeper?

I offered one up. If you wanted one that was "solely" blaming Baz, I wouldn't have been able to help....

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not really comfortable with the discussions of peoples private lives and personal identities I have to admit. Sure there isn't anything nefarious in it, just don't think it's necessary. 

Pretty sure this forum (or one of its iterations) had a "play the ball, not the man" mantra in terms of responding to posts before, which I think is worth trying to stick to. 

I agree except that the poster in question was the one who brought it up to try to silence the opinion of someone else. 

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Meh, semantics... Your original statement was :

Please provide the evidence of one poster laying our relegation at the feet of the goalkeeper?

I offered one up. If you wanted one that was "solely" blaming Baz, I wouldn't have been able to help....

Well my definition of laying it at someone's feet is different to yours. 

So basically:

Bazunu wasn’t single handedly my responsible for our relegation, but statistically he was the worst keeper in Europe last season and a key reason why we didn’t give ourselves a chance of staying up. Having watched him all season, it’s incredibly difficult to disagree with those stats. 

Macca is also nowhere near good enough at this level too. 

Ultimately, we have no idea if Bazunu will be good enough this season, but multiple errors during pre season aren’t a good way to kick off the season. 

I was hoping a clean slate and some strong performances in pre season under the new management this summer will help him get some confidence, but that hasn’t yet. I have high hopes for him, but I am concerned that him giving away soft goals will cost us promotion. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

So basically:

Bazunu wasn’t single handedly my responsible for our relegation, but statistically he was the worst keeper in Europe last season and a key reason why we didn’t give ourselves a chance of staying up. Having watched him all season, it’s incredibly to disagree with those stats. 

Ultimately, we have no idea if Bazunu will be good enough this season, but multiple errors during pre season aren’t a good way to kick off the season. 

I was hoping a clean slate and some strong performances in pre season under the new management this summer will help him get some confidence, but that hasn’t yet. I have high hopes for him, but I am concerned that him giving away soft goals will cost us promotion. 

This. 99% of supporters will agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

So basically:

Bazunu wasn’t single handedly my responsible for our relegation, but statistically he was the worst keeper in Europe last season and a key reason why we didn’t give ourselves a chance of staying up. Having watched him all season, it’s incredibly to disagree with those stats. 

Let's remember Forster was amongst the best keepers in Europe at 1 stage based on stats which we all know is incorrect, it had more to do with Fonte, Toby, Vic and Morgan in front of him.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu