Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

I'll give you some names that caused our relegation and Bazunu isn't one of them. Rasmus Ankersen who should have changed the manager at the end of May 2022. Didn't buy a proven striker. Apart from Alcaraz had a mare in the January transfer window. Worst of all he brought in Nathan Jones to replace Ralph then compounded the whole thing by making Selles manager with 14 games left. Che Adams who missed enough vital one on ones to nearly keep us up. KWP who forgot he was a defender, Perraud likewise. Elyounoussie who meant we were virtually playing ten from the start. 

Personally I think the managers got us relegated. We had virtually no shape or discipline. We had enough good players to win matches but we never saw a balanced team selected that was made up of the best players, not the yes men and managers favourites. That's why we were relegated.. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, derry said:

I'll give you some names that caused our relegation and Bazunu isn't one of them. Rasmus Ankersen who should have changed the manager at the end of May 2022. Didn't buy a proven striker. Apart from Alcaraz had a mare in the January transfer window. Worst of all he brought in Nathan Jones to replace Ralph then compounded the whole thing by making Selles manager with 14 games left. Che Adams who missed enough vital one on ones to nearly keep us up. KWP who forgot he was a defender, Perraud likewise. Elyounoussie who meant we were virtually playing ten from the start. 

Personally I think the managers got us relegated. We had virtually no shape or discipline. We had enough good players to win matches but we never saw a balanced team selected that was made up of the best players, not the yes men and managers favourites. That's why we were relegated.. 

All of that contributed. So did Bazunu. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I know our academy isn’t quite what it was supposedly. 

But I would be interested to know who we have coming through at u18, 21, 23’s. 

Not saying that’s the answer, but hardly worth the hassle of bothering if we don’t take a look. 

I’m struggling to think of a keeper that has come through the academy into the first team

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Someone clever than me needs to let me know how many shots we faced v took/scored last season as I'm trying to see something.

Best way to protect a goalie is reduce shots and unfortunately our defense let more shots on target than at a bukkake party.

We faced 150 shots on target last season (the sixth-fewest, only slightly worse than Man United), 81 saved, 73 goals conceded (a save rate of 52.7%, the worst in the league)

We had 132 shots on target, scored 36 goals. We had the fourth-worst shot/goal rate (0.08 shots/goal).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I’m struggling to think of a keeper that has come through the academy into the first team

It's very rare at Premier League level that a keeper comes through that way.

You have to go back quite a while to Scott Bevan and then Michael Pope for any of ours I think.

51 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Someone clever than me needs to let me know how many shots we faced v took/scored last season as I'm trying to see something.

Best way to protect a goalie is reduce shots and unfortunately our defense let more shots on target than at a bukkake party.

It's been provided above. I was going to mention it earlier but thought a few people would've lost their mind at the face of some statistics.

The only argument in favour of Bazunu is that we "gave up so many chances". We were the 6th best team in the league in terms of shots on target faced. We came 20th. 

I quite simply cannot believe that there is anyone in his corner. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Maybe it's the goalkeeping coaches that need replacing? we've not had an outstanding keeper for a long time

We replaced Dave Watson with Andrew Sparkes and now he’s been replaced with Russell Martins guy, Bazunu is still shit

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It's been provided above. I was going to mention it earlier but thought a few people would've lost their mind at the face of some statistics.

The only argument in favour of Bazunu is that we "gave up so many chances". We were the 6th best team in the league in terms of shots on target faced. We came 20th. 

I quite simply cannot believe that there is anyone in his corner. 

It amazes me that there is. We all want saints to win and go up this season and it’s going to be a lot harder to do so whilst he’s in goal. You don’t need to be Alex Ferguson to identify that is a necessary change to make from last season. It’s obvious and the two howlers only confirm that 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

I know our academy isn’t quite what it was supposedly. 

But I would be interested to know who we have coming through at u18, 21, 23’s. 

Not saying that’s the answer, but hardly worth the hassle of bothering if we don’t take a look. 

That’s because they guy running it wasn’t interested is coaching lads to become good he wanted off the shelf team ready keepers.

A major short sightedness IMO the club should invest in coaching unpolished gems. There’s plenty out there who could come good given the opportunity and coaching. 

10 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

We faced 150 shots on target last season (the sixth-fewest, only slightly worse than Man United), 81 saved, 73 goals conceded (a save rate of 52.7%, the worst in the league)

We had 132 shots on target, scored 36 goals. We had the fourth-worst shot/goal rate (0.08 shots/goal).

Much as I know this forum loves a bit of xG. The xG stats for last season are illuminating both in defence and attack

https://xgscore.io/xg-statistics/epl

xG scored: 42.1
Goals scored: 36

xG conceded: 62.7
Goals conceded: 73

Which confirms what anyone who spent any amount of time watching Saints could see with their eyes. We couldn't finish our chances and our opponents could. The reason we came last is we didn't create enough chances and gave too many away. No other team had a similarly poor ratio of goals scored to goals conceded except Bournemouth.

Much as I want Bazunu to succeed, there were times where he conceded goals he could (should) have saved, however we gave up a lot of chances. Much as I want(ed) Adams and co to succeed they couldn't hit a barn door with the proverbial banjo, however we also created almost nothing for our strikers. Even if we'd scored and conceded as per the average xG and xGC we'd still have been relegated. Or in layman's terms - we were proper shit last season.

I will now go and fetch some popcorn for the inevitable xG centithread.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

That’s because they guy running it wasn’t interested is coaching lads to become good he wanted off the shelf team ready keepers.

A major short sightedness IMO the club should invest in coaching unpolished gems. There’s plenty out there who could come good given the opportunity and coaching. 

4 or 5 years ago Saints suddenly gave 6 week trials to a load of goalkeepers from around Southampton as they realised they were light in this area.

One kid went on to get signed but left at U16, the rest were frankly hopeless and it was a bit of a waste of time. 

It's a very difficult position to master at a young age as you need so many different technical attributes. This is why a lot of keepers don't become exceptional or play regular top flight first team football until they are a bit older.

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

Much as I know this forum loves a bit of xG. The xG stats for last season are illuminating both in defence and attack

https://xgscore.io/xg-statistics/epl

xG scored: 42.1
Goals scored: 36

xG conceded: 62.7
Goals conceded: 73

Which confirms what anyone who spent any amount of time watching Saints could see with their eyes. We couldn't finish our chances and our opponents could. The reason we came last is we didn't create enough chances and gave too many away. No other team had a similarly poor ratio of goals scored to goals conceded.

Much as I want Bazunu to succeed, there were times where he conceded goals he could (should) have saved, however we gave up a lot of chances. Much as I want(ed) Adams and co to succeed they couldn't hit a barn door with the proverbial banjo, however we also created almost nothing for our strikers. Even if we'd scored and conceded as per the average xG and xGC we'd still have been relegated. Or in layman's terms - we were proper shit last season.

I will now go and fetch some popcorn for the inevitable xG centithread.

No need. Everyone fell asleep before the end of the first paragraph ;)

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

thanks amigo, i knew about our shot saving was horrific but good to see the stats confirmed what my eyes showed me that we were rubbish at scoring as well.

11 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

This is the stat that sealed it for me. Our defense looked leaky, sure, but they still protected the keeper better than 13 other teams in the league. Bazunu let them down because every time he faced a shot it was essentially a coin flip as to whether it went in or not. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

This is the stat that sealed it for me. Our defense looked leaky, sure, but they still protected the keeper better than 13 other teams in the league. Bazunu let them down because every time he faced a shot it was essentially a coin flip as to whether it went in or not. 

Whilst it is indicative I don't think Bazunu is as bad as that stat made out. The number of free headers from crosses of players clean through unmarked given up by our defence also contributed to the quality of shots we were conceding.

• Like 1

Stats can be made to look like however you want. Ramus is pretty good at that. It’s the story that sits behind the numbers that matter. 

TBF, there are 11 players on the pitch with an army of Managers and coaches. Just my opinion but I think unfair to lay the blame of a game, cup run or season at 1 player. 

Like most, I think fans believe it was a balls up across the whole piece last season which leaves us where we are. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Stats can be made to look like however you want. Ramus is pretty good at that. It’s the story that sits behind the numbers that matter. 

TBF, there are 11 players on the pitch with an army of Managers and coaches. Just my opinion but I think unfair to lay the blame of a game, cup run or season at 1 player. 

Like most, I think fans believe it was a balls up across the whole piece last season which leaves us where we are. 

Most other deficiencies have been / are being addressed.

Are you happy for Bazunu to have a free run at being the first-choice goalkeeper this season?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

And that right there is indisputable proof why we were relegated bottom of the league. Plus we didn’t sign a decent striker after Ings left. Plus we hired not one, but two, out of their depth Managers in Jones and Selles.

Bazunu is crap.  He was crap last year, will be crap this year.  Angus Gunn will have a better season, and we will still have fans saying 'there is a player in there'

I hope he proves me and many others wrong, but it aint going to happen.  The only improvement will be less of his errors as we will be the dominant team more often. But to go up top 2 (or even the playoffs), we will need a keeper who will win us games/points.  He just aint that.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Bazunu is crap.  He was crap last year, will be crap this year.  Angus Gunn will have a better season, and we will still have fans saying 'there is a player in there'

I hope he proves me and many others wrong, but it aint going to happen.  The only improvement will be less of his errors as we will be the dominant team more often. But to go up top 2 (or even the playoffs), we will need a keeper who will win us games/points.  He just aint that.

he clearly has talent! Remember that Goztepe save!!

• Haha 1

It’s too easy to think of big howlers off the top of your head: Wolves away - dived wrong way. Villa away - saves upwards for it to bundle over the line. Liverpool and West Ham away - headers from outside the box. Brighton at home bundle, Goztepe dived wrong way, reading and Leeds both went under him.

I’m sure there are more. Sometimes unlucky, sometimes another players error didn’t help. He’s been here a year and he has made too many mistakes. 

Yet internationally he’s saved a Ronaldo penalty, got MOTM against Germany and seems to be well respected. Player of the year in League one for Portsmouth.

Something might just click, but as I have said a few times now there remains a risk that we don’t really need to be taking. Less so at this level but still a lot riding on it with our objective of promotion.

I'd be surprised if nothing happens with regards to goalkeepers even if McCarthy stays. Last season McCarthy picked up an injury towards the end of December and didn't feature again in a match day squad until March 1st when he played in the Grimsby cup defeat. During that time we had 14 league and cup matches (12 under Jones and 2 under Selles. Willy played in the FA Cup game against Blackpool but was on the bench for the other 13.

Now that Willy has gone, we have no 3rd choice keeper which was glaringly apparent on Saturday when we had no sub keeper on the bench (presumably McCarthy was injured) as the U-21s were also playing. The obvious solution would have been to keep Lis, but as he has gone out on loan I would have thought we would need to bring another keeper in. Maybe we're waiting to see if McCarthy goes before taking a decision on the level of a new addition.

With regards to Bazunu, since Martin has brought his own goalkeeping coach with him, he ought to be able to look at Bazunu with fresh eyes (not having been responsible for coaching him last season) & could recommend a change if he thought fit. I guess the biggest stumbling block may be if Wilcox has a high opinion of Bazunu from his time at City. Either way, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some movement with regards to keepers before the window closes.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Baz needs some decent competition to keep him sharp. McCarthy is not that man…we need better.

I remember when we signed Boruc from Fiorentina for a nominal fee.  He was 32 and with something like 350 first team games and 60 caps.  Mad as a box of frogs, but first choice under Pochettino and on his day exactly what you want in a keeper - commanding, strong, and great craft.  Thought he was the best keeper of our recent Premier League era.  Prone to a serious brain implosion in about one of every six games, but his type in this side now would likely be a huge improvement if we are serious about being in contention.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

he clearly has talent! Remember that Goztepe save!!

Where does all this “got talent” pony come from. Young keepers are prone to errors, but they also make good saves. They’re inconsistent, until they learn their trade. To be fair to Baz, he can’t be accused of being inconsistent, he’s consistent, consistently pony. 

Baz 🤡, just makes routine saves,lets the rest in but doesn’t make up for it with wonderful saves. I can’t remember coming away from a game & saying “we owe that point to baz”, I can’t even remember saying “we’d have lost by more if it wasn’t for baz. In fact one of our rare wins was despite baz, after his last minute superman impression. He’s not shown anything so far that makes me feel he’s “got talent”. He may well do, but why take the chance? He’s had his chance and blown in, time to drop him🤡

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Where does all this “got talent” pony come from. Young keepers are prone to errors, but they also make good saves. They’re inconsistent, until they learn their trade. To be fair to Baz, he can’t be accused of being inconsistent, he’s consistent, consistently pony. 

Baz 🤡, just makes routine saves,lets the rest in but doesn’t make up for it with wonderful saves. I can’t remember coming away from a game & saying “we owe that point to baz”, I can’t even remember saying “we’d have lost by more if it wasn’t for baz. In fact one of our rare wins was despite baz, after his last minute superman impression. He’s not shown anything so far that makes me feel he’s “got talent”. He may well do, but why take the chance? He’s had his chance and blown in, time to drop him🤡

Man United away 0-0 - he was man of the match and made some worldies

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

We replaced Dave Watson with Andrew Sparkes and now he’s been replaced with Russell Martins guy, Bazunu is still shit

This is a bit worrying as I’ve read several comments from Swansea fans about how crap their GK was.

And I think he’d gone to Swansea from MK with Martin (and presumably his GK coach). 

Bazunu was awful last season, McCarthy was worse.

Bazunu is young and inexperienced. I'd like to see him given a go in the first month before the window closes at the least, because he might improve considerably with new coaches and an easier league. I firmly believe that his ball-playing will help us play the way RM wants.

However, due to how bad McCarthy is, we must get a keeper that we would feel confident starting. Someone to compete with Bazunu for the shirt. We can't have another Cabarello or Harry Lewis cheerleader 3rd keeper, as sitting on the bench and never seeing the pitch should be McCarthy's job this season.

18 hours ago, The Cat said:

4 or 5 years ago Saints suddenly gave 6 week trials to a load of goalkeepers from around Southampton as they realised they were light in this area.

One kid went on to get signed but left at U16, the rest were frankly hopeless and it was a bit of a waste of time. 

It's a very difficult position to master at a young age as you need so many different technical attributes. This is why a lot of keepers don't become exceptional or play regular top flight first team football until they are a bit older.

Tbh that’s indicative of the coaching rather than the players. If given 6 weeks of proper training then they’d have been able to bring through more than 1.

Having been involved in youth football for 8 yrs there’s a lot of rough diamonds out there that given the correct coaching would make solid players.

My experience of the clubs youth goalkeeping coaches is that they’re not interested in coaching and development at all.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu