Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

I see people saying ''The club have neglected this position for too long, we need an upgrade on him'' - but we're missing the point here, if we agree with it or not, Bazunu was purchased as our first choice goal keeper 12 months ago. In the clubs eyes this is our 'GK upgrade' from what we had, this is our investment and we're not just going to give up on it.

People need to stop micro-analysing every goal we concede because it won't do anyone any good, none of the goals on Saturday could be put on him.

At the end of the day he is our GK, he's our 1st choice and that isn't going to change. So let's not waste air every week by asking why the club haven't replaced him.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I see people saying ''The club have neglected this position for too long, we need an upgrade on him'' - but we're missing the point here, if we agree with it or not, Bazunu was purchased as our first choice goal keeper 12 months ago. In the clubs eyes this is our 'GK upgrade' from what we had, this is our investment and we're not just going to give up on it.

People need to stop micro-analysing every goal we concede because it won't do anyone any good, none of the goals on Saturday could be put on him.

At the end of the day he is our GK, he's our 1st choice and that isn't going to change. So let's not waste air every week by asking why the club haven't replaced him.

When he starts performing like a first choice keeper for a club aspiring to win promotion I think the micro-analysing will stop. I'm not holding my breath from what I've seen of him last season, pre-season and this season. I get that he is young but he needs to start showing why the club have this strong belief in him because if he doesn't they are going to have to make a big decision sooner rather than later. 

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Paragraph 1 - yes he was signed for big money (for a keeper) but just because a player signs for big money doesn't mean we can't decide after a year he's not good enough and look to improve on him. Maguire (as the first example I can think of) cost Utd £80 million but they're not sticking by him and actively looking at selling him. Just because a player signs for big money doesn't mean they're necessarily going to be a success and sticking by a player who makes mistakes or costs us points would be pig-headedness just because we want to see a return on our investment. I'm not saying Baz is a bad Goalkeeper, I just think it would be crazy not to actively keep looking at the market for goalkeepers in case a better option becomes available for the right price.

Paragraph 2 - I agree none of the goals on Saturday were his fault and he did make a good block in the second half. However there were a couple of times in the first half he looked dodgy with the ball at his feet... which is supposedly one of his strengths. He also got lucky right at the end of the Wednesday game when the ref blew the whistle just as he mis-controlled the ball.

Paragraph 3 - I do agree he's first choice and we will stick by him this season and I do think he will grow in confidence as the year goes on especially if we strengthen the team in front of him. That said this is just a football forum of opinions like this which is the perfect place to air whether our GK should be replaced or not. 

I wasn't Bazunu's biggest fan last season it has to be said... I genuinely think we would have had a few more points on the board had we a better goalkeeper but it's not all his fault that the club pinned all their GK hopes on a young man that was thrust into Premier League action on the back of a League One season. But I do think he's here to stay this season so he gets my backing and hopefully the Championship will be less pressure for him to shine than the spotlight of the Prem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Last season he was statistically the worst goal keeper (xG) in the top5 leagues across Europe, that's out of how many goalkeepers 150-170? Our defence is shit, but it doesn't help having a keeper that probably wouldn't start for a league one side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I vaguely recall, last yea,r you were criticising bringing in such a young and inexperienced keeper as Baz as our No 1 keeper and now you're saying we have to live with him. That is spot on. He wasn't good enough and as a shot stopper, he's still way off the mark, but in many ways, he suits RM's style of play. He is comfortable on the ball, he sees and is accurate with a pass and what was good against Norwich was that he will mix it up and occasionally look for the over the top kick to AA/Tella. And he isn't stuck to his goalline.

It's almost like he's a junior Ederson. If only someone could coach him as to why he has a pair of gloves.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I vaguely recall, last yea,r you were criticising bringing in such a young and inexperienced keeper as Baz as our No 1 keeper and now you're saying we have to live with him. That is spot on. He wasn't good enough and as a shot stopper, he's still way off the mark, but in many ways, he suits RM's style of play. He is comfortable on the ball, he sees and is accurate with a pass and what was good against Norwich was that he will mix it up and occasionally look for the over the top kick to AA/Tella. And he isn't stuck to his goalline.

It's almost like he's a junior Ederson. If only someone could coach him as to why he has a pair of gloves.

Another option would be to acquire a keeper who is very good at shot stopping and general glovesmanship, and then go to work training him on the distribution side of things.

I still can’t believe I read a post on here yesterday that was intended as a defence of Bazunu and it stated that shot stopping was his only weak point.  I’m quite aware the game has changed in a short number of years and distribution is much more important now, but ffs at least get the basics right first.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't sold on the idea of an inexperienced keeper at the time, not as first choice anyway.

But what I'm trying to say is that the club have committed to this, whether we like it or not - they won't be signing a GK to replace one they feel is the number 1. The best we can do is just get behind him, as calling him out after every goal let in is going to be very tiresome.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't sold on the idea of an inexperienced keeper at the time, not as first choice anyway.

But what I'm trying to say is that the club have committed to this, whether we like it or not - they won't be signing a GK to replace one they feel is the number 1. The best we can do is just get behind him, as calling him out after every goal let in is going to be very tiresome.

When you say “the club” has committed to this, who do you mean? Bazunu was signed when Hasenhuttl was in charge and with Joe Shields seemingly pulling the strings. Both of those are long gone, the goalkeeping coach has changed too. Who is left that is driving this ambition for Bazunu to be number 1?

We’re currently having a refresh of the whole squad and looking to move on players who we spent money on and who aren’t cutting the mustard. If Russ Martin is getting direction from somewhere that Bazunu is a must have, and he isn’t being allowed to bring in someone else as it’s deemed a long term Saints project, then I’m really intrigued (and concerned) where this direction is coming from.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

When you say “the club” has committed to this, who do you mean? Bazunu was signed when Hasenhuttl was in charge and with Joe Shields seemingly pulling the strings. Both of those are long gone, the goalkeeping coach has changed too. Who is left that is driving this ambition for Bazunu to be number 1?

We’re currently having a refresh of the whole squad and looking to move on players who we spent money on and who aren’t cutting the mustard. If Russ Martin is getting direction from somewhere that Bazunu is a must have, and he isn’t being allowed to bring in someone else as it’s deemed a long term Saints project, then I’m really intrigued (and concerned) where this direction is coming from.

I don’t get the we must get behind him line regardless. No one is saying we’ve signed Tall Paul so let’s get behind him despite the fact he’s crap. There are plenty of players we are moving on because they aren’t up to it or don’t fit the mould. If RM thinks he’s a prospect then fine we as fans have to lump it but if he’s being given the direction from elsewhere then it’s a concern. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I don’t get the we must get behind him line regardless. No one is saying we’ve signed Tall Paul so let’s get behind him despite the fact he’s crap. There are plenty of players we are moving on because they aren’t up to it or don’t fit the mould. If RM thinks he’s a prospect then fine we as fans have to lump it but if he’s being given the direction from elsewhere then it’s a concern. 

I think that the reactive defence is emotional, mainly due to his age than any latent star quality - an error if you want your side to be as competitive as possible.  Lumley looks like the usual 'third keeper' but if McCarthy goes things get interesting as we will have to bring in a credible replacement.  Bazunu should welcome and benefit from genuine competition and / or mentorship.   

I'm really wondering why Bazunu gets a complete pass from manager and DoF alike.

Tin foil hat on, but I wonder if he wasn't from Man City and if Man City didn't have a vested interest in his success - would he be getting that same backing? 

Edited by SambaMaverick

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'm really wondering why Bazunu gets a complete pass from manager and DoF alike.

Tin foil hat on, but I wonder if he wasn't from Man City and if Man City didn't have a vested interest in his success - would he be getting that same backing? 

It’s so weird how the manager hasn’t come out in the press saying how sh*t he is, after being responsible for a total of zero goals so far this season.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s so weird how the manager hasn’t come out in the press saying how sh*t he is, after being responsible for a total of zero goals so far this season.

Why are we not even entertaining the possibility of giving him some competition, or even a capable understudy? If someone outfield had performed that badly last season you'd hope there was something in the works to address that in the transfer market.

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Why are we not even entertaining the possibility of giving him some competition, or even a capable understudy? If someone outfield had performed that badly last season you'd hope there was something in the works to address that in the transfer market.

I never said I wouldn't welcome the posibility of some competition, I'd be delighted to see McCarthy out the door and someone more competent brought in. There appears to be a semi-plausible chance of that happening, with the Everton and Palace rumours.

I have genuinely no idea where you get this idea from that he gets a free pass. He lost his place to McCarthy for the final six games of last season and the latter promptly conceded 17 goals.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I never said I wouldn't welcome the posibility of some competition, I'd be delighted to see McCarthy out the door and someone more competent brought in. There appears to be a semi-plausible chance of that happening, with the Everton and Palace rumours.

I have genuinely no idea where you get this idea from that he gets a free pass. He lost his place to McCarthy for the final six games of last season and the latter promptly conceded 17 goals.

McCarthy is also shit, so that'll be why.

The free pass I'm referring to is when the current manager (RM) just shot down any suggestion of someone challenging Bazunu this season, then went on to call him one of the best goalkeepers in the division. Wilcox then chimed in with his anecdote of signing him as a 16-yr-old at City.

RM said Bazunu is first choice, McCarthy second choice and Lumley third choice. His words, not anyone elses - and he was quite adamant in doing so. Why?

Edited by SambaMaverick

44 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

It's easy, they know more about football than you.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

It's easy, they know more about football than you.

As you know I’ve been one of bazanu’s biggest supporters this season but I agree it’s odd that no one in the club seems to think this needs addressing. The fact he was dropped last season shows they thought there was a problem then and the only thing that seemingly saved him was the fact his replacement was even worse. Suppose we will see what happens if they shift McCarthy 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

As you know I’ve been one of bazanu’s biggest supporters this season but I agree it’s odd that no one in the club seems to think this needs addressing. The fact he was dropped last season shows they thought there was a problem then and the only thing that seemingly saved him was the fact his replacement was even worse. Suppose we will see what happens if they shift McCarthy 

Whatever anyone might think about the signing of Bazunu the far greater mystery has to be the contract extension for McCarthy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

McCarthy is perfectly adequate as a number 2 for a club in our position. The problem is the number 1 is shite. If Peter Shilton was in nets, nobody would give a shiny that McCarthy was back up. 

Having watched McCarthy on Tuesday night against League Two opposition I'm not sure I agree. 

I honestly think Bazunu will be great for us in the championship. None of the goals we have conceded in the championship the first 2 games has been his fault, and he can't be expected to save any of the goals we conceded (it would have been a bonus if he did),  and he has been brilliant in the build up play.

Our defenders hasn't defended properly. 

Has a mistake in him but he is very young and will learn and i think he will learn fast and have a very good season. 

I still wouldn't mind buying another goalkeeper though to compete more. McCarthy really stinks.

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

I thought RM did what a good manager does and back Bazanu with his comments tonight at the forum. Bazanu will grow this season in my opinion and be great for us :)

And if not, there's another transfer window in January! 😜

8 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

RM said Bazunu is first choice, McCarthy second choice and Lumley third choice. His words, not anyone elses - and he was quite adamant in doing so. Why?

Because our goalie is low on confidence. He needs backing, and the manager is giving it to him with a clear statement like that. As an ex-tender, I appreciate it really.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I would imagine its got something to do with the fact he is probably the best distributor, as far as a GK is concerned, in the league.

In a similar vein to how City are happy with Ederson who ranks around mid table from a shot save percentage, we are happy to retain Baz in goal.. mainly because his ability on the ball is far more important to us tactically, then having a goalkeeper that is better at shot stopping, then he is with the ball at his feet

Statistics count, data counts, and realistically we should be able to reduce the shots he faces, whilst maximising our build up play.

I think Bazunu is a good, young goalkeeper, my concern is I do think his confidence is low, so I absolutely applaud Russell and Jasons unequivocal support of him… do I think that he needs competition ? 100%… McCarthy doesn’t really work in any sense, because frankly he isn’t good enough at football basics to enable the detriment to our tactical approach

Overall the hysterics over Bazunu on this forum is laughable, because again RM was 100% correct.. tactics and outfield players cost us 4 goals on Saturday.. not Bazunu

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I would imagine its got something to do with the fact he is probably the best distributor, as far as a GK is concerned, in the league.

In a similar vein to how City are happy with Ederson who ranks around mid table from a shot save percentage, we are happy to retain Baz in goal.. mainly because his ability on the ball is far more important to us tactically, then having a goalkeeper that is better at shot stopping, then he is with the ball at his feet

Statistics count, data counts, and realistically we should be able to reduce the shots he faces, whilst maximising our build up play.

I think Bazunu is a good, young goalkeeper, my concern is I do think his confidence is low, so I absolutely applaud Russell and Jasons unequivocal support of him… do I think that he needs competition ? 100%… McCarthy doesn’t really work in any sense, because frankly he isn’t good enough at football basics to enable the detriment to our tactical approach

Overall the hysterics over Bazunu on this forum is laughable, because again RM was 100% correct.. tactics and outfield players cost us 4 goals on Saturday.. not Bazunu

He was proven to not only be the worst keeper last season, but one of the worst ever in the Premier League era over a full season. That is more than having a crap defence in front of him.

He has been awful for Saints so far, and it remains to be seen whether he will step up and not only make routine save after routine save, but be the odd match winner that is required for promotion more often than not

Edited by AlexLaw76

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He was proven to not only be the worst keeper last season, but one of the worst ever in the Premier League era over a full season. That is more than having a crap defence in front of him.

He has been awful for Saints so far, and it remains to be seen whether he will step up and not only make routine save after routine save, but be the odd match winner that is required for promotion more often than not

He was poor last year, was replaced by McCarthy who was even worse

This is a new season, with new tactics at a new level

He’s openly backed by footballing minds much brighter than us, time to get behind them

• Like 3

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

He was poor last year, was replaced by McCarthy who was even worse

This is a new season, with new tactics at a new level

He’s openly backed by footballing minds much brighter than us, time to get behind them

Nathan Jones was openly backed by football mind brighter than us at SFC......

Lets see.

• Haha 2

The Bazunu cheerleaders getting excited about Martin and Wilcox's endorsement seem to be missing the point.  If the panel were to be asked about any individual young player they would respond in a similar way - what else can they do? He is Wilcox's former academy player and currently Russell Martin's Hobson's choice on the back of a terrible relegation season in terms of defence.  If they had questioned his overall ability at a public forum their managerial acumen would be rightly questioned.  He's an expensive young prospect with potential, learning his trade and currently playing under pressure, which he deserves credit for. 

The later question to Martin about revealing the player with the highest work ethic raised his eyebrows and was rightly dismissed and skirted, but if that question had been raised about an individual currently featuring in the first team, what do you think the response would be?  "Can Jason and Russell say whether we are going to sign an experienced winger to replace Sam Edozie as he has been rather inconsistent?"

Martin, Mowbray and Wilcox aren't daft and they will be trying to offload the expensive and disinterested McCarthy.  His replacement will provide necessary competition for GB and some insurance in case the Bazunu cheerleaders are proved wrong and the doubters are proved right.  In the meantime fans should keep saying what they see, for and against, regardless of what the manager says - that's football!   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Already has the worst save percentage (28.6%) and has let in 0.8 more goals than he should have according to the stats - small sample size I know.

Interesting background to go along with the eye test and I also like posting it because it winds Grandad up. 

He hasn't been at fault for any goals yet, so the stats are misleading at this point.  He obviously did have a howler against Norwich which was fortunately disallowed, as well as a couple in preseason.  I do think we need better, but seems that won't be happening 

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

He hasn't been at fault for any goals yet, so the stats are misleading at this point.  He obviously did have a howler against Norwich which was fortunately disallowed, as well as a couple in preseason.  

Oh, that’s alright then. They’re only friendlies & disallowed howlers, nothing to worry about. 

A decent keeper doesn’t let 4 in Sat imo. He gets players picked up, he has better positioning for the first, he fucking leaves Manning in no doubt that the ball needs hoofing into row Z., and here’s  a new one for Baz, he fucking saves efforts when you think they’re going in. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Oh, that’s alright then. They’re only friendlies & disallowed howlers, nothing to worry about. 

A decent keeper doesn’t let 4 in Sat imo. He gets players picked up, he has better positioning for the first, he fucking leaves Manning in no doubt that the ball needs hoofing into row Z., and here’s  a new one for Baz, he fucking saves efforts when you think they’re going in. 

Sorry mate you're disqualified from this topic for using the bantz term 'in nets'.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pony. Giant pony.

If you are honestly blaming him for any of those goals then you are on a troll hunt.

Manning needed a shout from his goalie ???

6 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Already has the worst save percentage (28.6%) and has let in 0.8 more goals than he should have according to the stats - small sample size I know.

Interesting background to go along with the eye test and I also like posting it because it winds Grandad up. 

Thanks for that. If you’re quoting irrelevant statistics again then there’s no hope for you. We know that they’re irrelevant because we’ve all seen what happened.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yes, and than needed  a fucking great bollocking if he didn’t do it. What did our soft arsed keeper do. Said fuck all, and then fucking cuddled him. 

If you scream enough at the defender responsible, the referee will disallow the goal. True story.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

In fairness Manning was litterally facing the striker and could have done anything but pass it straight too him. Noone to blame but manning there 

I really think we have done this to death. General consensus is he’s not great, might be all right in the future ( personally I think he will never be anything special) , but we are stuck with him for the foreseeable as the alternatives are even worse and the club have now publicly backed him 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu