Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

I think Whitey is on to something, he’s ahead of the game here. As it doesn’t matter who tries to save the shots, we could put Prowse in nets. But (here’s the genius bit), if we get a corner or free kick around the box, he could swap position & a full back could go in nets. We’d end up with 11 outfield players, and wouldn’t suffer for it. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Hold on could you expand on what you're saying here? Are you saying that a goalkeeper who is equally adept at other skills such as distribution, organising defence etc but worse at shot stopping will concede the same amount as another keeper who is better at it? 

In such circumstances they are likely to be similar in that respect too.

5 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

One of the worst keepers I've ever seen relative to the level played. How have we not found a replacement? Guy's a sieve.

Whilst we all know Bazunu has been pretty poor for us so far, he had no chance for any of the goals today. 

It was all on the lack of midfield/poor play from the centre backs. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's unfair!  He's showing massive improvement - at fetching the ball from the back of the net, Guy's a world beater.

I was wondering earlier what would stop more shots - a fit, off the back of a good week’s training Bazunu or a traffic cone.

1 hour ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

One of the worst keepers I've ever seen relative to the level played. How have we not found a replacement? Guy's a sieve.

Until McCarthy leaves we ain't bringing in a replacement keeper. 

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Watched the game level with Bazunu today and the lack of presence, physicality and judgement is astonishing. The defence can be appalling (keystone cops today) but they are clearly aware that there is nothing behind them. 

Worst keeper since Keith Granger absolutely shite

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And palmed the header out to Bednarek?

Yes, a poor keeper but looked and sounded like a goalkeeper today. We don’t agree on this Whitey but to me Bazunu just doesn’t have the requesite presence or strength, regardless of the obvious weaknesses of the defenders around him. 

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Yes, a poor keeper but looked and sounded like a goalkeeper today. We don’t agree on this Whitey but to me Bazunu just doesn’t have the requesite presence or strength, regardless of the obvious weaknesses of the defenders around him. 

Not the greatest keeper but I’m much more worried by the blotting paper defence in front of him.

• Like 2

Dubravka is wasted sitting on Newcastle’s bench. He’d be my choice if we could ever ship out a GK. Baz just doesn’t fill me with confidence with the ball at his feet. He did make a good block today and could do little with the goals AND has an iffy defence in front of him but a good keeper inspires his defence and makes them more confident. I don’t think Baz fits that bill.

That said, I think he remains our number 1 all season.

Agree with this. Just watched the highlights and was expecting to see a shit show from baz having skimmed the match thread.... none of Norwich's 4 goals are bazunu's fault today. The 2nd is a cracking strike and he's unsighted, the first is a free header put right in the corner, the 4th is laughable defending... In fact let's be honest - same for the 3rd, same for the 1st...

3 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Feels different to last season when he was letting in shots that he should have saved. I doubt many keepers would have saved the ones he has let in so far this season. Especially in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Watched the game level with Bazunu today and the lack of presence, physicality and judgement is astonishing. The defence can be appalling (keystone cops today) but they are clearly aware that there is nothing behind them. 

Called this when I first saw him play, he's incredibly quiet for a keeper, makes no attempt to organise or really communicate with the defence in front of him. 

I think our defenders are impacted by that, also no shield in midfield so exposed both sides with opposition free to run at the centre backs, we really need a proper keeper in for this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

The best keepers have positional sense which helps them make saves, deal with crosses and cut down the angles for shots and headers. Baz has the worst positional sense I've seen in a professional keeper which is why he saves very little and is hopeless at dealing with crosses. Agree he has zero presence and it must be a nightmare playing with him behind you. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

And which ones should he have saved?

No idea as we don't know whether he'd have been able to with better positioning or coming to claim crosses. Seems odd to me that teams that play us are suddenly capable of scoring completely unstoppable goals though.

I'm just going to keep track of that figure game by game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

No idea as we don't know whether he'd have been able to with better positioning or coming to claim crosses. Seems odd to me that teams that play us are suddenly capable of scoring completely unstoppable goals though.

A keeper with worse distribution might have conceded 7 out of 12 shots on target this season, so he’d be better because that’s only 58%?

The big problem is that despite the horrors of last season and the fact hes clearly lacking in confidence, Bazunu's position in the team is under very little threat. McCarthy is no good (and hopefully will be shipped out soon) and Jo Lumley is the definition of a squad filler. 

He's still very raw and will make mistakes like every keeper does, but we dont have the depth to take him out of the firing line if required. 

I wouldn’t blame him for any goals today but if the club believe in him, then decent goalkeeper coaching is essential. I remember David Seaman being prone to errors but high-end coaching got him to another level. Positioning is coachable, but is critical as you’re in a better place to make saves when needed. Baz can make saves, he can play with his feet which is vital for modern keepers. He just needs focussed coaching on positioning to make an initial difference, then work on the other aspects of the game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I wouldn’t blame him for any goals today but if the club believe in him, then decent goalkeeper coaching is essential. I remember David Seaman being prone to errors but high-end coaching got him to another level. Positioning is coachable, but is critical as you’re in a better place to make saves when needed. Baz can make saves, he can play with his feet which is vital for modern keepers. He just needs focussed coaching on positioning to make an initial difference, then work on the other aspects of the game. 

Can’t remember any specific ones apart from in a friendly 

I personally don't think he was at fault for the goals today but what I do think is that he was part of a terrible defence both last year and this year so far. I think he doesn't have much of a presence for a keeper and his organisational and communication skills have to be questioned at this point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

So a pointless stat then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If you think that such figures are important or significant then there’s no hope for you. They are meaningless hogwash.

18 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Are we gonna still find excuses for him when his shots to save ratio is gonna be low again this season?

What is with you people and so-called statistics? These figures are random rubbish and  have nothing to do with football and any of its results. 

A bit like possession percentage really.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu