Valenciennes

Tommy Mulgrew

14 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

It's true that he's often a few floors behind me haha

That’s certainly better than you sitting a few rows  behind him with that monster of a flag 

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's a 'little' harsh, they've taken over clubs on a downturn from the outset and were on the back foot from day 1 at Gotzepe and Valenciennes - so their relegations were somewhat expected, that's probably part of the reason why they acquired them - a troubled club, not as expensive as an established top flight club, but with potential to reshape them over time.

We were slightly different though, a middling PL club flirting with the trap door, they thought throwing millions at young kids would move us back up the table - but it killed us dead, they misread the situation with us wildly.

Wonder if Vitesse Arnhem are on their shopping list, they’ve suffered quite a spectacular fall this season. Presumably Abramovic’s mate is no longer involved. 

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wonder if Vitesse Arnhem are on their shopping list, they’ve suffered quite a spectacular fall this season. Presumably Abramovic’s mate is no longer involved. 

Sports Republic surely aren't flush with enough capital to warrant four clubs?

Unless they're going down the 'self-sustainable success' nonsense; a pile of bollocks at the top levels.

Hello everyone.

Last game of the season for Valenciennes FC tonight as they travel to Normandy to take on Stade Malherbe de Caen.

The aim of the match is to finish as worthy as possible against a team that could be in with a chance of playing in the play-offs.

The match is expected to be a sell-out, with between 20 and 50 supporters expected to make the trip. (4-hour drive / 234 miles).

I'd also like to say a special word of thanks to your club, who are playing in the play-offs tonight.

Enjoy the game, folks! 

• Like 10

Hello everyone.

First of all, my sincerest congratulations on your victory yesterday at Saint Mary's! Very happy for you!

For our part, we had a complicated trip to Normandy, where Valenciennes were playing a team that could play in the play-off for promotion to Ligue 1.

The 3-0 defeat put the seal on a season that was complicated from start to finish.

It's time to get down to business this summer, when we'll probably be doing some major housework...

As for the Valenciennes supporters, around thirty brave souls made the trip.

Allez VA!

441588383_3745928708981228_7468026857086024067_n.jpg

Capture01.PNG

• Like 9

On 11/05/2024 at 10:43, S-Clarke said:

I think that's a 'little' harsh, they've taken over clubs on a downturn from the outset and were on the back foot from day 1 at Gotzepe and Valenciennes - so their relegations were somewhat expected, that's probably

...part of the reason why they acquired them - a troubled club, not as expensive as an established top flight club, but with potential to reshape them over time.

.......and most likely not terribly debt-ridden, and not requiring a big investment at this time.

No disrespect to Valenciennes, especially off the back of a very difficult season, but is it common that only 30 fans would make a 4 hour drive to a match? I think Eastleigh take more to away games up north! Just curious really if the away following is quite low in France.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 14:50, disconnect said:

No disrespect to Valenciennes, especially off the back of a very difficult season, but is it common that only 30 fans would make a 4 hour drive to a match? I think Eastleigh take more to away games up north! Just curious really if the away following is quite low in France.

I think I am right in saying that they've just been relegated to the equivalence of the conference / national league in this country. I could imagine the fanbase is pretty demoralised!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I think I am right in saying that they've just been relegated to the equivalence of the conference / national league in this country. I could imagine the fanbase is pretty demoralised!

It's still the third tier, and features some decent historical sides like Nancy, Sochaux, Le Mans etc. It seems like professional football just isnt as big in France I guess. Just was curious really!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Apart from Rouen (where there were 700 of us) and Lyon (where there were 1,100 of us), this very difficult season hasn't motivated many people to travel, unlike in other countries where it's more part of the footballing mentality.

When the sporting results are there, it's easier, but as soon as the results aren't there, the fans prefer to stay at home...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

It's still the third tier, and features some decent historical sides like Nancy, Sochaux, Le Mans etc. It seems like professional football just isnt as big in France I guess. Just was curious really!

Here in Valenciennes, we don't need much for our stadium to fill up and for buses to be chartered for travel.

Only the sporting results will be decisive.

The whole of SR's governance is promising a rapid return to Ligue 2, so all we can do is hope it works.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Here in Valenciennes, we don't need much for our stadium to fill up and for buses to be chartered for travel.

Only the sporting results will be decisive.

The whole of SR's governance is promising a rapid return to Ligue 2, so all we can do is hope it works.

Is the manager staying, Christophe?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Le manager reste, Christophe ?

The trend of what he is currently releasing to the press speaks of a contract extension for next year.

The fans here don't want him to stay and are calling for him to leave the club.

The banner that went up at the last home match: ‘Kantari tu sort’.

The supporters criticised him for not being the right man for the job, and for the need for a change in both players and staff.

The current coach is favoured by the sporting director (Ben Chorley), but nothing has been done yet...

441149831_825641226263826_947569731428164617_n.jpg

• Like 1