Birmingham City 3-4 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

4 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Something must be up with Downes, more than is being disclosed, to keep saying "He`s close"  on repeat is nonsense when it clearly wasn't the case

Alfie House saying the update is at 10 so they must have kept it on the embargoed section of the presser. 

13 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Something must be up with Downes, more than is being disclosed, to keep saying "He`s close"  on repeat is nonsense when it clearly wasn't the case

Or they want to keep our opponents second guessing our team.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Alfie House saying the update is at 10 so they must have kept it on the embargoed section of the presser. 

I don't get this embargo. What's the point of it when all media outlets are pumping out stories online 24/7 these days?

Where's the logic in fans having to wait an arbitrary 12 hours to find out whether one of theirs team's key players is able to play in tomorrow's game or not?

I get there might be an argument for keeping the opposition 'in the dark' as long as possible but, surely, if that was the case then why not keep it quiet until 1 hour before the game, not at some meaningless/archaic deadline later the same day...?

Usually when players are back in contention it gets sung from the roof tops in the live press conferences... The fact that Adam Blackmore didn't ask the obvious question about Downes this morning smacks of him being told what he can and can't ask about... (Yeah, conspiracy territory I know... But why wouldn't Adam ask this obvious question otherwise..?)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yeah, that’ll really worry them 🙄

Where’ve you got that idea from? Any tactical or injury knowledge which we can keep somewhat ambiguous in public is advantageous to an extent. Even if it’s something like whether we’re going to play Manning or Stephens; Brum not knowing keeps them guessing, even if neither player is a world beater.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

I don't get this embargo. What's the point of it when all media outlets are pumping out stories online 24/7 these days?

Where's the logic in fans having to wait an arbitrary 12 hours to find out whether one of theirs team's key players is able to play in tomorrow's game or not?

I get there might be an argument for keeping the opposition 'in the dark' as long as possible but, surely, if that was the case then why not keep it quiet until 1 hour before the game, not at some meaningless/archaic deadline later the same day...?

Usually when players are back in contention it gets sung from the roof tops in the live press conferences... The fact that Adam Blackmore didn't ask the obvious question about Downes this morning smacks of him being told what he can and can't ask about... (Yeah, conspiracy territory I know... But why wouldn't Adam ask this obvious question otherwise..?)

There’s no conspiracy, it’s the fitness of a championship midfielder, not the moon landing, get a grip. 

• Like 1

Was just looking back at Birmingham’s results. They’re not having a great season but are unbeaten at home since Boxing Day and have won their last 3. We’re going to have to be so much better than we have been recently 

Went to the Saints Foundation Dinner last night.  Brilliant what they do for the community.

Adam Blackmore interviewed Martin on stage.  I can assure anyone that is hoping for a change in playing style, you will be massively disappointed.  Rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo) the guy is 100% wedded to one style of football.

It’s like there is a cult-like Pep organisation and unfortunately, we’re stuck right in the middle of it.

• Sad 3

57 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Or they want to keep our opponents second guessing our team.

You've heard what Martin has to say about other team's players, he takes no interest in what their line up may be but concentrates on his own team selection and the type of opposition he is faced with; will they press, will they sit back etc.

Opposition managers' probably have a very similar take to us in their preparations for the match. Very unlikely they are going to have a sleepless night worrying about whether Downes will be back or not.

54 minutes ago, Appy said:

There’s no conspiracy, it’s the fitness of a championship midfielder, not the moon landing, get a grip. 

Indeed... and that's exactly my point, why not ask the obvious question given there's no reason not to...? It's not me generating conspiracy theories, I'm simply highlighting that it doesn't make sense not to ask about the latest fitness news on one of our key players. Adam has asked at all previous press conferences, why not this one? No conspiracy, just an observation about which I'm a bit curious. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Where’ve you got that idea from? Any tactical or injury knowledge which we can keep somewhat ambiguous in public is advantageous to an extent. Even if it’s something like whether we’re going to play Manning or Stephens; Brum not knowing keeps them guessing, even if neither player is a world beater.

Why not "keep them guessing" until 1 hour before the game rather than 10:30pm the night before in that case....? #logic

(Sorry to bang on about this but I'm just highlighting an inconsistency in the questioning at today's press conference. Just chewing the cud on an internet football forum. That's all....)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Went to the Saints Foundation Dinner last night.  Brilliant what they do for the community.

Adam Blackmore interviewed Martin on stage.  I can assure anyone that is hoping for a change in playing style, you will be massively disappointed.  Rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo) the guy is 100% wedded to one style of football.

It’s like there is a cult-like Pep organisation and unfortunately, we’re stuck right in the middle of it.

Speak for yourself, I bloody love the style and identity our team and club finally has.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, notnowcato said:

Speak for yourself, I bloody love the style and identity our team and club finally has.  

Great when we’re winning. Next season it’ll be Millwall at home with worse players 👍

Can’t wait.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Great when we’re winning. Next season it’ll be Millwall at home with worse players 👍

Can’t wait.

Is there a style in play not susceptible to defeats??

• Like 3

Wished I could have been at the dinner Whitey. Could not agree more with you about the great work that the Saints Foundation does. 

Many Saints fans don’t realise that the Foundation IS the official SFC charity and it currently has around 23 ( give or take) different programmes to help those most in need - in Hampshire. 

Not enough credit given imo to this end of our club work. It’s one if not the thing I’m most proud about re SFC. We can win lose or draw a football match this weekend but the Saints Foundation is always out there irrespective doing good deeds. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Of course there is. 

No there isn’t. 

All styles of play get beaten at one time or another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I wouldn’t mind that if they can get to the equivalent City level in this division. Pep has adapted his style over the seasons. One reason why Grealish is no longer getting game time this season being more direct at times.  

43 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Is that the identity of a brattish unsportsmanlike reaction to losing and persistence on playing out from the back. A style which has currently got us finishing 4th in what should really be a three horse race at worst. 

There are certain styles where you actually have a go at opposition teams to attempt to win. The last 20 mins or so of Millwall was a disgrace. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, trousers said:

I suspect this morning's press conference is going to wind up some people. All about how "brave" we were versus Liverpool but not a single question or reflection on how awful our decision making was up front. Felt a bit head-in-sand territory to me. Conspiracy theory alert but I'm wondering if Adam Blackmore is a tad wary about asking 'home truths' type questions these days after his mini 'spat' with Russell earlier in the season...?

Roy Keane and Ian Wright called it out on Wednesday night, saying that the manager should be furious about how wasteful we were in the final third, but I'm not seeing any sign of that viewpoint being addressed in the press conference(s)...

Anyway, positivity is never a bad thing so maybe I'm wide of the mark in highlighting these observations...?

I’m a little bit with him on this one, I’m sure he’d prefer to have players at his disposal who are far better than Mara, who has been very poor generally , and the clueless Sulemana, I’m not sure what he’s supposed to say?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I can’t stand it, but was / am happy to tolerate it if it gets us promotion, that said, I see no future in this style if we did get promoted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m a little bit with him on this one, I’m sure he’d prefer to have players at his disposal who are far better than Mara, who has been very poor generally , and the clueless Sulemana, I’m not sure what he’s supposed to say?

Agree that he's never going to be overtly critical of individual players, but I'd expect him to at least acknowledge the issues we clearly have in the depth and quality of our strikeforce overall, which was clearly exposed in Wednesday's game, rather than just saying that everything is rosey. That said, I acknowledge that he's got to focus on the positives, of which there are many, to galvanise the players for the run-in, so, yep, it's a difficult balance to strike as a manager I accept.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Way I see it we are actually trying to do something which the rest of the leagues don’t want us to do. 

They want us to remain in our place.And no it’s not meekly subscribing to that underdog narrative that’s been our traditional meat and drink for so long either.. what’s happening is different. We got a taste with Poch. Another glimpse with Ralph. Now with Russell we are going full Monty.  It’s so different. 

Upstarts trying to play like we are and trying to change the status quo must be encouraged - but only up to a point. The leagues must appear competitive. Then we must be ransacked for our best players and forced to start again. That Cycle has repeated endlessly for Saints. 

We are all fed up of that happening but some of us have got Stockholm syndrome and we have actually fallen in love with the whole shit  show. And are scared if even trying anymore. 

We are disrupting that system and lots of people- including our own fans clearly, are unhappy with that. RM and JW are showing that a bunch of relegated  players in a defeated club can be trained to play differently. And that it can be effective. That’s not good for the moneybags clubs to see. 

And, like RM, I’d rather lose playing in that disruptive style - a style that expresses our football integrity and frightens the powers that be - than furtively fumble around the Championship or EPL begging for points here and there playing dross, mediocre, characterless pragma-football with no identity apart from ultimately being “ plucky losers” . 

RM, and Saints, are going for it. All-in. And I’m happy with that. Do it right & play properly or don’t bother is my attitude. IF we go up I’m happier for him and team to go toe to toe with anyone and lose than go cap in hand and get repeatedly fucked over as we have been for decades by the bigger clubs and stay as the bottom feeding sad cases at the wrong end of league. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I absolutely am speaking for myself.  It’s great that we’ve all got our own opinions.  I respect them all, even the wrong ones.

• Like 2

Is there a style in play not susceptible to defeats??

Yep, playing in strikers who can actually score goals….and by that I mean not playing in opposition strikers by fannying around at the back or in midfield.

You’re welcome…

• Like 1

I xxxx love the style and identity our team and club finally has.  

With the caveat "when it works as intended". Obviously it doesn't work very well when teams press hard and give us little space and Martin needs to find a solution for this. Mindlessly dicking around at the back for 5 minutes when we can't find a  way out thus giving teams time to re-set their defence isn't a solution. I think that is what Wade is trying to convey

When we move the ball around accurately and quickly with people running into spaces at will as we did against Swansea then it is a delight to watch.

Even Man City have off days but they are seem able to sort themselves out very quickly. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Yep, playing in strikers who can actually score goals….and by that I mean not playing in opposition strikers by fannying around at the back or in midfield.

You’re welcome…

Of course but when you're stuck with three of the worst strikers ever in Adams, Armstrong & Mara then it's not so easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trousers said:

The reason behind the embargo was to give print journalists something to write about for the print editions, in the hope that people keep buying newspapers.

When there was only print and broadcast press at these events, the embargo gave the print guys something new to write for the paper - ideally with a catchy headline that would help sell papers.

You are right that - with 24 hour social media - its fairly pointless now. But that was the original objective...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Way I see it we are actually trying to do something which the rest of the leagues don’t want us to do. 

What a load of old pony. Every team in the league is trying to do what other teams don’t want them to do. 

Personally, I think playing the same way week in week out, is exactly what other teams want us to do. Before they send one scout to watch us, before they watch one video, they know exactly the way we’ll play. Now I know planning your tactics around the opposition seems to be above Lego, but I’d have thought opposition managers would prefer the absolute certainty of how we’ll play, rather than spend the week working on different scenarios depending on our set up. They might not be able to stop us, as they might not have good enough players. But being able to work on stopping us play, safe in the knowledge that you won’t get a surprise match day, is a real plus at this level imo. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

They want us to remain in our place.And no it’s not meekly subscribing to that underdog narrative that’s been our traditional meat and drink for so long either.. what’s happening is different. We got a taste with Poch. Another glimpse with Ralph. Now with Russell we are going full Monty.  It’s so different. 

Upstarts trying to play like we are and trying to change the status quo must be encouraged - but only up to a point. The leagues must appear competitive. Then we must be ransacked for our best players and forced to start again. That Cycle has repeated endlessly for Saints. 

We are all fed up of that happening but some of us have got Stockholm syndrome and we have actually fallen in love with the whole shit  show. And are scared if even trying anymore. 

We are disrupting that system and lots of people- including our own fans clearly, are unhappy with that. RM and JW are showing that a bunch of relegated  players in a defeated club can be trained to play differently. And that it can be effective. That’s not good for the moneybags clubs to see. 

And, like RM, I’d rather lose playing in that disruptive style - a style that expresses our football integrity and frightens the powers that be - than furtively fumble around the Championship or EPL begging for points here and there playing dross, mediocre, characterless pragma-football with no identity apart from ultimately being “ plucky losers” . 

RM, and Saints, are going for it. All-in. And I’m happy with that. Do it right & play properly or don’t bother is my attitude. IF we go up I’m happier for him and team to go toe to toe with anyone and lose than go cap in hand and get repeatedly fucked over as we have been for decades by the bigger clubs and stay as the bottom feeding sad cases at the wrong end of league. 

I really doubt very much there is any coordinated conspiracy against us. Outside of our own loyal fan base we are  total  footballing nonentity in the greater scheme of things. We haven't had enjoyed real kudos since Koeman left, and have been pretty much an a downward trajectory since then. barring a brief purple patch under Wreckit.

Possibly this alarming slide has been arrested under the new regime, but that remains to be seen.

On the contrary, we are doing everything the other ambitious teams in the championship want us to do, that is playing a rigid style of football that can seemingly now be easily countered and dropping 9 of the last 12 available points, thereby exposing ourselves to the lottery of the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Is that the identity of a brattish unsportsmanlike reaction to losing and persistence on playing out from the back. A style which has currently got us finishing 4th in what should really be a three horse race at worst. 

There are certain styles where you actually have a go at opposition teams to attempt to win. The last 20 mins or so of Millwall was a disgrace. 

It wasn't a reaction to losing, it's a decision that he'd rather not shake the hand of someone he thinks is a cunt, I've a lot of sympathy for that.

All the negative normans look at 20 minutes v Millwall rather than 25 games from October onwards.  There was always going to be a blip.  Get over it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

It wasn't a reaction to losing, it's a decision that he'd rather not shake the hand of someone he thinks is a cunt, I've a lot of sympathy for that.

Why did he think he was a cunt though? For time wasting like every other goalkeeper that comes to St. Mary's does? He wasn't even the worst we've seen this season.

I had sympathy when Wayne Bridge didn't want to shake John Terry's hand. Now that was justified and the reason was clear. He's representing a professional football club in the capacity of first team manager. If you're going to make a statement on the pitch and snub your opponent in front of the cameras, you better make sure it isn't for some petty reason. Strikes me as someone that can't keep a level head.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We have no ambiguity around tactics no matter what name is on the team sheet alongside Smallbone's.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I really doubt very much there is any coordinated conspiracy against us. Outside of our own loyal fan base we are  total  footballing nonentity in the greater scheme of things. We haven't had enjoyed real kudos since Koeman left, and have been pretty much an a downward trajectory since then. barring a brief purple patch under Wreckit.

Possibly this alarming slide has been arrested under the new regime, but that remains to be seen.

On the contrary, we are doing everything the other ambitious teams in the championship want us to do, that is playing a rigid style of football that can seemingly now be easily countered and dropping 9 of the last 12 available points, thereby exposing ourselves to the lottery of the playoffs.

We were not doing what they wanted when we went 25 unbeaten. 

Ever heard the phrase if you don’t stand for something you fall for everything?

I am still surprised at the level of negativity present in Saints fans after the entertainment they’ve had this year- especially after that shit show last year. I really don’t think people know when they got it good.

That we are “only” fourth in this ridiculously strong league this season but with all still to play for is not the fucking end of the world some here would have you believe. Get a grip on yerselves and stop crying. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I am still surprised at the level of negativity present in Saints fans after the entertainment they’ve had this year- especially after that shit show last year. I really don’t think people know when they got it good.

That we are “only” fourth in this ridiculously strong league this season but with all still to play for is not the fucking end of the world some here would have you believe. Get a grip on yerselves and stop crying. 

You have a point, but a big part of me thinks that we’ve been well and truly worked out and Russ is going to have to come up with an alternative way of playing.

That doesn’t mean hoofball by the way.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Why did he think he was a cunt though? For time wasting like every other goalkeeper that comes to St. Mary's does? He wasn't even the worst we've seen this season.

I had sympathy when Wayne Bridge didn't want to shake John Terry's hand. Now that was justified and the reason was clear. He's representing a professional football club in the capacity of first team manager. If you're going to make a statement on the pitch and snub your opponent in front of the cameras, you better make sure it isn't for some petty reason. Strikes me as someone that can't keep a level head.

This using that handshake thing as a proxy to attack RM in general is fake.  Say you don’t like him cos we lost 3/4 matches and are getting frightened we might not go up but don’t hide behind nonsense like snubbing handshakes.

if your insight is correct and keeping a level head is his problem then no doubt some will get their wish and we can go for manager number 4 in a calendar year  which will be a bundle of laughs and handshakes all round I’m sure. Or just support your team and manager these Final run in games when we need it most ffs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I'm not crying, far from it. I also have a grip. I am not surprised at the negativity, we have one good shot and appear to not be taking full advantage of it.  I am also surprised an the turning of the narrative to us  somehow being plucky underdogs and giving it a jolly good go, somehow in awe of the mighty Leeds, Leicester and those sleeping giants Ipswich. The 25 game unbeaten was good, but losing 4 one side of it and 3 from 4 the other side kind of diminishes from the achievement, and tends to confirm my feeling that everything went our way during that run, yes there were a couple of sparking performances, a couple of good halves and a lot of averageness as well.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

This using that handshake thing as a proxy to attack RM in general is fake.  Say you don’t like him cos we lost 3/4 matches and are getting frightened we might not go up but don’t hide behind nonsense like snubbing handshakes.

if your insight is correct and keeping a level head is his problem then no doubt some will get their wish and we can go for manager number 4 in a calendar year  which will be a bundle of laughs and handshakes all round I’m sure. Or just support your team and manager these Final run in games when we need it most ffs. 

I must be in the minority that still values leaving any differences on the pitch and shaking your opponents hand at the end.

You can change the narrative if you want but I'm very, very careful what I post. I mean what I write. Nothing more, nothing less. No hidden meanings. If you want to know how I feel Russell's getting on this season, read the Russell Martin thread.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I'm not crying, far from it. I also have a grip. I am not surprised at the negativity, we have one good shot and appear to not be taking full advantage of it.  I am also surprised an the turning of the narrative to us  somehow being plucky underdogs and giving it a jolly good go, somehow in awe of the mighty Leeds, Leicester and those sleeping giants Ipswich. The 25 game unbeaten was good, but losing 4 one side of it and 3 from 4 the other side kind of diminishes from the achievement, and tends to confirm my feeling that everything went our way during that run, yes there were a couple of sparking performances, a couple of good halves and a lot of averageness as well.

Very well put Tous, unfortunately Gio will not have any non praise comments about RM 😴 and not even those offering constructive criticism and suggestions that we need an alternative approach for when our rigid possession based way is obviously under great strain and fails.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Ok, so now we're judging him on whether he should think an opponents goalkeeper is a cunt or not.. sweet jesus and the mary chain.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I must be in the minority that still values leaving any differences on the pitch and shaking your opponents hand at the end.

It's all a bit 2 faced really

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Ok, so now we're judging him on whether he should think an opponents goalkeeper is a cunt or not.. sweet jesus and the mary chain.  

No we're judging him by his actions and debating whether we think he was justified in snubbing the other teams goalkeeper. I've already explained why I don't think he was justified. He's left his reasoning down to speculation, but you say it was because he thought he was a "cunt". Okay, if that's the case, he must have had a good reason but I just haven't found it yet. Time wasting isn't a good reason. He didn't snub the Huddersfield goalkeeper for instance. So then you have to wonder what was so different this time. I suspect it was because things didn't go our way this time. Don't get too high when you win and don't get too low when you lose. Leave that to the fans.

11 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You'll have to elaborate on that one.

45 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

It is because, if RM wouldn't shake the keeper's hand because he was time-wasting, he's overlooking the fact that Baz will always time-waste if we are leading towards the end of a game. Don't get pissed about it unless we don't do it ourselves - that's double-standards'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

The Saints manager and players are role models for kids of every age.  I’ve coached boys from 7 to 15 and they sadly will copy what they see the professionals do. Being sporting losers (and winners!) is a great life skill for young people to learn. It doesn’t make grass roots coaches jobs easier when the role models act (excuse the pun) like kids. 
No excuse for it in professional sport, but a lot of professionals don’t think for a moment about how their on pitch antics willl be copied and idolised by the young generation.

Don’t even get me started on play acting and feigning injury….(Fernandez v Fulham ‘injury’ anyone?).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Wished I could have been at the dinner Whitey. Could not agree more with you about the great work that the Saints Foundation does. 

Many Saints fans don’t realise that the Foundation IS the official SFC charity and it currently has around 23 ( give or take) different programmes to help those most in need - in Hampshire. 

Not enough credit given imo to this end of our club work. It’s one if not the thing I’m most proud about re SFC. We can win lose or draw a football match this weekend but the Saints Foundation is always out there irrespective doing good deeds. 

Surely we must be able to find a fault with the Foundation to attack the Club with ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. Every team in the league is trying to do what other teams don’t want them to do. 

Personally, I think playing the same way week in week out, is exactly what other teams want us to do. Before they send one scout to watch us, before they watch one video, they know exactly the way we’ll play. Now I know planning your tactics around the opposition seems to be above Lego, but I’d have thought opposition managers would prefer the absolute certainty of how we’ll play, rather than spend the week working on different scenarios depending on our set up. They might not be able to stop us, as they might not have good enough players. But being able to work on stopping us play, safe in the knowledge that you won’t get a surprise match day, is a real plus at this level imo. 

Like a scratched 70’s album stuck on the same tune. You have one line of hatred for RM and it’s incorrigible in you. Even now trying to dress it up differently using this concept that he is thick as shit.

I’d love to see you and him in a face to face debate.

After you had called him all your names and stuck your tongue out at him you’d be out of content. You could try telling him about your Phd in negative shite but he’d then just smile pitifully at you, offer to shake your hand (😂) and walk out. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Birmingham City vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Birmingham City 3-4 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic