David Moyes ?

If we go up, Martin probably gets a chance to show what he can do. If we don't go up, Moyes will think he's too good for us. So it's probably moot.

I'd be much more excited post-promotion about giving Martin the boot for Moyes than I was about giving Adkins the boot for Poch. You'd expect us to be the inferior team in most games, so a counter-attacking setup like West Ham under Moyes would likely be more successful than trying to play Russball. And it'd actually suit players like Alcaraz and Sulemana who want to attack and score rather than just keep possession (I'd rather a manager build a gameplan to suit them rather than one that suits Bednarek and Smallbone). But you'd have to think Moyes would find a job before the January window if he wants one.

• Like 2

What a pointless thread.  Martin is going nowhere.

A bit like when Puel got fired the footballing public can't understand why Moyes is being let go despite doing a decent job.

Yet most West Ham fans are glad to see the back of him: not because of results but because of his style of football.

What an utter bunch of muppets....thank god, most Saints fans are not like the echo chamber muppets on here.

• Like 2

TBH, I’d say no. He’s a hit and miss manager and there’s nothing about him that makes me think he’d definitely take us to a level beyond RM. West Ham are looking a consecutive bottom half finishes the way their results are going which is a bit ‘meh’ really.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH, I’d say no. He’s a hit and miss manager and there’s nothing about him that makes me think he’d definitely take us to a level beyond RM. West Ham are looking a consecutive bottom half finishes the way their results are going which is a bit ‘meh’ really.

We wouldn’t be interested in bottom half finishes even though not threatened with relegation in the Premier League would we ? Especially coming after three consecutive years in Europe.

We’re far more ambitious than that aren’t we ? Said from the comfort of the Championship. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Shit timing for a thread like this imo - time to galvanise support for these playoff games rather than stir up 

Agree with Alehouse. The speculation should be parked for duration of the play offs. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Shit timing for a thread like this imo - time to galvanise support for these playoff games rather than stir up 

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree with Alehouse. The speculation should be parked for duration of the play offs. 

Or.... If the players are big fans of Russ, rumours of a replacement manager could actually work in our favour as it'll galvanise them to put in good performances to try and convince the hierarchy to keep him....?

#twosidestoeverystory

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or.... If the players are big fans of Russ rumours of a replacement manager could actually work in our favour as it'll galvanise them to put in good performances to try and convince the hierarchy to keep him....?

#twosidestoeverystory

#ridiculoustwosidestoeverystory 😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or.... If the players are big fans of Russ, rumours of a replacement manager could actually work in our favour as it'll galvanise them to put in good performances to try and convince the hierarchy to keep him....?

#twosidestoeverystory

Interview with RM after winning the second leg 4-0

Blackmore : “Russell that was a fantastic turnaround after losing the first leg, how did you motivate the team for that ?”

RM : “I just printed off and pinned some wild speculation that some joker had put on the mongboard for the guys to read ..” 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We'd have a greater chance of survival under Moyes than we would RM. For that reason alone, I'd take him in the short term. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

We wouldn’t be interested in bottom half finishes even though not threatened with relegation in the Premier League would we ? Especially coming after three consecutive years in Europe.

We’re far more ambitious than that aren’t we ? Said from the comfort of the Championship. 

That makes no sense, it was all with West Ham and their squad, he wouldn’t have that here and even if he did it’s now in the past and they’re on a downwards trajectory. You could stick Pellegrino in charge of Man City, he’d probably finish about 7th and we could sit here and sarcastically so, “oooh 7th in the PL isn’t good enough, we’re too ambitious apparently!”

For all the comments that we’d be harder to beat and more likely to stay up, Moyes has been on the wrong end of some absolute thumpings this season. 5-0 against Chelsea, 5-2 against Palace, 6-0 against Arsenal, 5-0 against Fulham, 5-1 against Liverpool, 4-1 against Villa. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

Interview with RM after winning the second leg 4-0

Blackmore : “Russell that was a fantastic turnaround after losing the first leg, how did you motivate the team for that ?”

RM : “I just printed off and pinned some wild speculation that some joker had put on the mongboard for the guys to read ..” 

Ha...  yeah, perhaps not one of my best "seeing the opposite point of view" attempts.... 😂

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes plenty of time for speculation in the summer. There’s no perspective until we know what league we are in. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dman said:

We'd have a greater chance of survival under Moyes than we would RM. For that reason alone, I'd take him in the short term. 

It can’t help myself. SR stated ages ago there’s no way they would let us underperform in the PL . They have a plan in place. 

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, manji said:

It can’t help myself. SR stated ages ago there’s no way they would let us underperform in the PL . They have a plan in place. 

almost everything you've ever said about SR has been complete bollocks. 

You need to drop the delousional fan boy act as its doing you no favours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

That makes no sense, it was all with West Ham and their squad, he wouldn’t have that here and even if he did it’s now in the past and they’re on a downwards trajectory. You could stick Pellegrino in charge of Man City, he’d probably finish about 7th and we could sit here and sarcastically so, “oooh 7th in the PL isn’t good enough, we’re too ambitious apparently!”

For all the comments that we’d be harder to beat and more likely to stay up, Moyes has been on the wrong end of some absolute thumpings this season. 5-0 against Chelsea, 5-2 against Palace, 6-0 against Arsenal, 5-0 against Fulham, 5-1 against Liverpool, 4-1 against Villa. 

Fair point you make about the heavy defeats. Must admit I haven't followed the EPL closely enough to take in that sort of pattern.

Have thoroughly enjoyed ignoring it, yet we still hanker to return.

Moyes is great until he is successful. As soon as he starts buying flair players his teams fall to pieces. I have this on good authority from my West Ham supporting mate.

I seem to remember that he was interviewed for the Saints job in the early 2000's while still at Preston.  Wanted to bring his coaching team with him (normal in football), but Rupert Lowe wanted him to work with the existing coaching staff (normal in most businesses).  Showed RL's lack of understanding of how football works (again).  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened.  We ended up with WGS, which was great until he realised that he couldn't work with RL any more.

My view is that Moyes is a good reliable successful EPL Manager. Any team has him will generally be ok to good. 

He is an arch realist and generally his teams play according to what players he has got and their talents rather than to a definable style that he wants them to fit into. Most of all his teams win more than lose as he generally sets up his teams to beat the oppo game by game rather than fixating on how they play. He is in the Mourinho mould in that respect. Utterly pragmatic and will do anything g to win or not lose and dies not care what people think of his “ style”.

In other words, he is at the other end of the spectrum to RM in many regards - but if RM were to leave and SR wanted the best chance of staying up for Saints next season in the EPL ( I doubt he’d join us in the championship though) Moyes is an outstanding choice. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lymington Saint said:

I seem to remember that he was interviewed for the Saints job in the early 2000's while still at Preston.  Wanted to bring his coaching team with him (normal in football), but Rupert Lowe wanted him to work with the existing coaching staff (normal in most businesses).  Showed RL's lack of understanding of how football works (again).  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened.  We ended up with WGS, which was great until he realised that he couldn't work with RL any more.

He asked to bring to bring more than just one assistant and Rupert said no to that.

Edited by CB Fry