first team are not for sale

NickG

interview over a few pages, for those who don't get it

feels sorry for fans and himself over sale of AD but we all knew some would have to go

there maybe some players not involved with the team who will leave, players like Rudi are international players maybe there is some interest in them and maybe a couple of others

The thinking has always to keep those currently involved in first team

Lancashire is still not fit enough for first team and Racine is not ready yet as 16 and still learning

Morgan and Wotton can cover there for odd gamebut not every week need better header of ball so looking for signing

could do with another goal scorer other than John and DMg

feels sorry for fans and himself over sale of AD but we all knew some would have to go

there maybe some players not involved with the team who will leave, players like Rudi are international players maybe there is some interest in them and maybe a couple of others

Lancashire is still not fit enough for first team and Racine is not ready yet as 16 and still learning

Morgan and Wotton can cover there for odd gamebut not every week need better header of ball so looking for signing

Excellent!

So, the manager doesn't know if there is or isn't any interest in our most expensive players - who [if anyone] would be privvy to such valuable information??

The only certainties - like a decent full back and decent goal scorer - don't exactly sound like they're going to happen either....

worrying times

Excellent!

So, the manager doesn't know if there is or isn't any interest in our most expensive players - who [if anyone] would be privvy to such valuable information??

The only certainties - like a decent full back and decent goal scorer - don't exactly sound like they're going to happen either....

Your interpretation is obviously different from mine.

I thought the situation he was alluding to was that SFC were trying to shift Skacel Euell and Thomas but as yet there were no firm offers.

He wants to recruit another stiker and centre back which seems sensible to me

JP quoted in todays echo

"...the boys who are involved in the first team are not touchable - unless someone comes with an offer of £50m or something like that!"

is this referring to Surman? Seems like it

Let us not fool ourselves everyone is currently for sale this is all about talking prices up and nothing else !

If we dont sell we cant survive simple!

I thought the situation he was alluding to was that SFC were trying to shift Skacel Euell and Thomas but as yet there were no firm offers.

Skacel might still go I reckon if a club do a deal on his wages but Euell and Thomas (thanks George) are more likely to be sold for glue than be signed by anyone else, particularly with the daft wages they are on.

I interpreted it as :

"We need to sell Skacel Euell and Thomas really badly, but no-one wants to buy them - there's a good reason for that surely....

As we can't shift these off our books, there is no way we can even consider getting a loan player in, let alone a decent one..."

Let us not fool ourselves everyone is currently for sale this is all about talking prices up and nothing else !

Probably true with the bank in control, trouble is if we well any more we won't survive in the CCC and it's going to be hard enough as it is. These young players are really going to learn in the deep end - if they swim, SFC swims and properly establishes itself as CCC calibre club (sorry folks, that's where we are presently, it hurts after almost 30 years at the top level but it's true), if they sink it's -17 in League 1. I want option A but it's a huge ask on JP and the lads, I don't think a lot of the posters on here really understand how tough a season this will be. Fingers crossed we'll be OK.

So no one has expressed an interest, despite them being made available Obviously in the fevered mind, that has to be a criticism of the manager, if not the chairman. If no one has expressed interest, how would anyone know if there was any interest???

Just over a week to go to teh window close, so it may yet happen, but much as some people want desparately to find fault with everything the club does, selling a player requires a willing buyer.

Excellent!

:-)

Actually, sounds to me like they are being bought by a consortium

So the first team is untouchable is it ? - I'd like to hear that from Rupert rather than Jan Poortvleit before I'd take it too seriously . If the bank comes back in January and demands another lump of cash we all know exactly whats going to happen .

I had previously assumed the club's creditors would be primarily interested in maintaining SFC as a viable football team/business in the short to medium term , but the scale of enforced player disposals raises the ugly prospect of a 'dash for cash' before possible Administration next summer . We desperately need some success on the pitch to encourage more fans through the turnstiles to prop up this failing business's last major income stream . You can bet your bottom dollar Barclay's will be keeping a very close eye on our trading position in the meantime .

If we continue to bump alone the bottom of the table over the next few months and the average match attendance falls to around 15,000 or less as a result then all bets are off .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Probably true with the bank in control, trouble is if we well any more we won't survive in the CCC and it's going to be hard enough as it is. These young players are really going to learn in the deep end - if they swim, SFC swims and properly establishes itself as CCC calibre club (sorry folks, that's where we are presently, it hurts after almost 30 years at the top level but it's true), if they sink it's -17 in League 1. I want option A but it's a huge ask on JP and the lads, I don't think a lot of the posters on here really understand how tough a season this will be. Fingers crossed we'll be OK.

Agreed our only way out is to establish a team based on youth, anchor our position in the CCC and then slowly try to build a promotion team through judicious trading!

This season is critical so lets get behind the youngsters who need all the support and confidence we can muster to succeed!

Originally Posted by Saint Without a Halo viewpost.gif

Before the team evolved, I felt we would be lucky to get near staying up with Pearson, let alone with double Dutch. But the West Ham and Birmingham games have shown me that we should be good enough to get away from relegation. If we were to stay up this season, I really believe we could push on from there and at least get into the play off's the following season. The big problem as I see it, is the number of games and level of stamina required from these youngsters. We have clearly seen previously with Bale and Surman that when fatigue hits them, they go off the boil for a while.That's why I feel JP made an error in playing virtually the same first team against Exeter and I thought that showed against Birmingham in the second half. But as you say, most fans will not even realise the full extent of the restrictions we are playing under.

JP quoted in todays echo

"...the boys who are involved in the first team are not touchable - unless someone comes with an offer of £50m or something like that!"

What a stupid statement to make. Any player is for sale at SFC - we're a club on the brink of administration FFS.

If none of the youth (sorry first) team go it is because no-one wants them, i.e they are sh1te. That's why we're going down.

What a stupid statement to make. Any player is for sale at SFC - we're a club on the brink of administration FFS.

If none of the youth (sorry first) team go it is because no-one wants them, i.e they are sh1te. That's why we're going down.

What is the point of this post.

If a player read it it may make him think its not worth playing here where players are abused all the time.

What I think Jan is trying to say is that we are nearly at the end of the player sales/loans and we will only sell if we get an extremely high bid

Encouraging words those, but we all know

deep down if another club comes in with a reasonable

offer for any of the players on the books we will sell.:(

True enough maybe, but hasn't it been pretty much always that way? Just as it is for the majority of clubs, for that matter. We got good money (at the time) for the likes of Shearer, Flowers, Danny and Rod Wallace - but how many Saints fans wanted to see them go elsewhere? And our circumstances were a whole lot different back then...

JP quoted in todays echo

It's a pretty safe statement IMO as:

a) With the exception of Surman, I can't see anyone bidding for any of them.

b) We really would be struggling to put out a team if any of the first 11 left.

Thanks for that positive contribution Mole, fortunately not all of us feel quite that way yet,

People keep saying Barclays want their money back and will crush us until they get it. I am no fan of Barclays for personal reasons but I do know that they are not commercially naive. They know full well that success on the pitch means success in the bank account and relegation to League 1 is NOT Barclays preferred route. To get their investment back they firstly need to avoid us going into administration and then they need to give us support and time to rebuild to ensure their investment is protected.

I do not believe for a moment 'Barclays are picking the team' as some suggest and I do not believe they are insisting any bid for any player must be accepted.

Andrew Davies left because he wanted to go. He said so himself. Barclays did not insist he went as was suggested on this thread earlier.

Banks lend money when times are good and want it back when times are bad but I repeat, they are not naive, they do want their money back with interest and neither administration or relegation are going to deliver that. If we go into administration it will HMRC who will do it not Barclays because HMRC are not interested in long term commercial benefit, they implement the law of the land where taxes are concerned.

So cheer up, we may be broke but we are not broken. The guys playing for us are better than many who have not seen them give them credit for. Sure, its going to be a long tough season but this time there is hope when last season, to my mind, was betrayal. Fortunately thise who betrayed us have nearly all gone now, just a couple more left and hopefully they will be gone soon. In their place we have fresh faces keen to impress and desperate to please. Give them a chance eh?

Excellent!

But then that's the difference between a "manager" and a head coach isn't it.

JP does probably not get too invoved in the business side of the club. He coaches what he has, identifies players that he thinks might fit in with his ideas

and lets whoever is on transfers get on with it. Expect more input from George Prost on the sgning side;Woudn't mind wagering that at least on of the two is french(or playing in France) and the other may well be dutch.

What is the point of this post.

If a player read it it may make him think its not worth playing here where players are abused all the time.

What I think Jan is trying to say is that we are nearly at the end of the player sales/loans and we will only sell if we get an extremely high bid

Erm, my post is what i think is the true story.

Should i lie and post happy clappy ********?

This forum is getting beyond a joke.

Erm, my post is what i think is the true story.

Should i lie and post happy clappy ********?

This forum is getting beyond a joke.

Why, because some are happy clappy? If you want to post your doom and gloom fine but that does't mean this forum is a joke because others think differently. Get behind the forum ffs. By the way we are not going down.

Thanks for the summary.

I feel somewhat mollified by this, I have to say, but let's see words back by actions.

Maybe Rupert's got other ideas from JP............

Apart from the old Aldershot and Maidstone no club has gone bust in England for years. Why do we have to sell when smaller clubs in ths league do not? Wake up to the fact that we will end up with no players, no team and relegation!

So no one has expressed an interest, despite them being made available Obviously in the fevered mind, that has to be a criticism of the manager, if not the chairman. If no one has expressed interest, how would anyone know if there was any interest???

Just over a week to go to teh window close, so it may yet happen, but much as some people want desparately to find fault with everything the club does, selling a player requires a willing buyer.

Maybe other clubs have expressed an interest....

Maybe the prices are set too high.....

Who knows really :smt102

I'm sure there's a meaningful point to this post but I can't see it. So our players are either "sh1te" and so we're stuck with them or they're up for sale? That's not really fair is it? Otherwise we'd never field a team even when times were better. By your definition, anyone any good would automatically be off elsewhere. We sold players (like just about any other club) when we didn't need the money and were doing relatively well. But just because a player isn't a transfer target for another club doesn't mean he's "sh1te". Any player has always been for sale at SFC if the price is right.

JP quoted in todays echo

Now THERE'S an IDEA.

JP just said that someone can have the WHOLE first team for 50mil. Brilliant - that's the exact figure we've been harking on about on here for a takeover.

Let's sell the lot, buy ourselves and invest the money back into the team.............