What films are you watching?

Pancake

• 4 weeks later...

Gravity is stunning. Saw it in 2D but imagine that 3D or better still, IMAX, would be ****ing incredible.

All the more enhanced by the cinema I was watching it in - electric leather recliners and beer.

I think I'm going to watch it again...

anyone seen 'The Blacklist' on Sky?

Very good drama.

Had great reviews before release I have it on catch up for this week.

Just watched a daft film with Pat Dempsey & Ashley Judd - Flypaper

Think of a stupid Brian Rix farce set around a bank robbery. Absolutely daft and like a good farce doesn't split your sides all the way just keeps the stupid twists coming and the smirking eventually breaks out into guffaws.

Have to wait a week to see Gravity Imax (hope it's still on) as way too busy this week

I saw Denis Villeneuve's 'Prisoners' last Saturday, and for the first time in quite awhile I emerged from the cinema perfectly content that both my money and (much more importantly) my time had been well spent.

Two young girls go missing together from their seemingly safe suburban Pennsylvania street, the only lead a grubby old camper van that was parked nearby. Unable to find them their panicking parents soon call on the local police department for help. Despite making a early arrest, the lead detective (the excellent Jake Gyllenhaal) rapidly finds that his investigation is starting to falter as the chief suspect gives nothing away. Not the type to stand by and wait for the state to find the children, the desperate father of one of the girls (Hugh Jackman) decides that he will stop at nothing in order to get his daughter back ... even if it means he must descend into his own personal version of Hell on Earth to do it.

If this sounds to you like yet another stupid 'macho' ultra violent revenge movie then think again because this is a serious film that asks its audience the kind of uncomfortable questions they'd probably rather not consider. In this case just how far would you/should you go in order to save your child? Difficult as the subject matter undoutably is I thought that Prisoners had a distinct sense of place and a kind of sparse beauty to it that is all its own.

Highly recommended.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I saw Denis Villeneuve's 'Prisoners' last Saturday, and for the first time in quite awhile I emerged from the cinema perfectly content that both my money and (much more importantly) my time had been well spent.

Two young girls go missing together from their seemingly safe suburban Pennsylvania street, the only lead a grubby old camper van that was parked nearby. Unable to find them their panicking parents soon call on the local police department for help. Despite making a early arrest, the lead detective (the excellent Jake Gyllenhaal) rapidly finds that his investigation is starting to falter as the chief suspect gives nothing away. Not the type to stand by and wait for the state to find the children, the desperate father of one of the girls (Hugh Jackman) decides that he will stop at nothing in order to get his daughter back ... even if it means he must descend into his own personal version of Hell on Earth to do it.

If this sounds to you like yet another stupid 'macho' ultra violent revenge movie then think again because this is a serious film that asks its audience the kind of uncomfortable questions they'd probably rather not consider. In this case just how far would you/should you go in order to save your child? Difficult as the subject matter undoutably is I thought that Prisoners had a distinct sense of place and a kind of sparse beauty to it that is all its own.

Highly recommended.

The missus went to see this with her mate. I have been somewhat distrustful of ms pap's "crap or brilliant" movie reviewin' scale for some time. She said this was brilliant. It is good to see a positive review of this from someone who normally moans about films.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Blackfish on Blu-ray last night. Thoroughly absorbing and compelling film about the capativity of Killer Whales in water parks like Seaworld. Extremely distressing but anyone thinking of going to places where killer whales and dolphins are kept should really watch this first.

I saw Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey star in 'The Butler' last weekend and on the whole I was much impressed with it. Based (rather loosely I understand) on the story of a actual White House butler, Whitaker plays 'Cecil Gaines' a black man learning to survive, and eventually prosper, in what was then very much a white man's world.

Gaines is butler to eight presidents - from Eisenhower to Reagan - but this is not really a 'West Wing' style look at the internal workings of that remarkable building, but rather a film more interested in the wider Black civil rights struggle of the late 20th century. While Cecil works within the system in a non threatening subservient position (indeed the highest praise for a White House butler is that no one notices he is in the room) his eldest son 'Louis' (David Oyelowo) goes the other way completely and actively engages with the emerging civil rights movement of the time - much to his straight laced father's disgust. It is this question of how best black America might emerge from behind the shadow of white domination/oppression that lays at the heart of this fine movie.

A interesting film this that has much to say and says it well. A great script and strong performances from its ensemble cast too - especially from Whitaker and Winfrey. So I'd have thought any discerning film goer should find plenty to satisfied them here. However I must add that if you want to see this in the cinema then you better get a move on because when I went there was about half a dozen of us in there at most - all just as gray haired/balding as I am.

The lesson is if you want to win Oscars then make quality films like this. If you want to make money ... well you'd probably better off churning out yet more comic book adaptations that will pack the teenagers in. 'Twas ever thus I suppose.

I mixed in (somewhat uncomfortably I must admit) with the teenagers today and saw 'Catching Fire' - the latest installment of what is rapidly becoming Hollywood's new 'The Hunger Games' franchise. Although the Iron Law of diminishing returns applies to a degree, to be fair to it this sequel is not a bad film by any means. But why the lovely Katniss should be so determined that no harm should come to Peeta remains a bit of a mystery because let's face it, he's a bit of a dope isn't he?

A more substantial criticism is that this decent film could have been a rather better one had at least 15 minutes been edited out of the first hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keT5CRhhy84

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

• 2 weeks later...
Saw Gravity yesterday in Imax, 3D spaceship simulator etc. Was ok. Not much of a story but like a flight simulator, was ok for an experience.

Done space travel now, on to time travel.

I just watched Gravity on a sh!tty DVD Rip copy on my laptop, and I thought it was incredible. Like you say, not so much on the plot, but for sheer suspense and in a setting that felt so real but yet so alien at the same time. For me it had that same feeling of playing a computer game, probably due to the amount of POV shots that Cuaron included like he did in Children of Men. Absolutely loved it - especially that first 30 minutes. Stunning!

I just watched Gravity on a sh!tty DVD Rip copy on my laptop, and I thought it was incredible. Like you say, not so much on the plot, but for sheer suspense and in a setting that felt so real but yet so alien at the same time. For me it had that same feeling of playing a computer game, probably due to the amount of POV shots that Cuaron included like he did in Children of Men. Absolutely loved it - especially that first 30 minutes. Stunning!

I can't imagine watching it on a laptop. Needs a massive screen.

Hobbit Smaug is a great improvement on the first part involving better characters and locations and is all round less 'muppety'. Thankfully Orlando bloom is kept to a minimum too.

A Hijacking Danish attempt at 'Capt Philips' using real hijacked ship and captives as actors.

Brilliant drama, gritty, not a trace of Hollywood in this.

I can't imagine watching it on a laptop. Needs a massive screen.

Hobbit Smaug is a great improvement on the first part involving better characters and locations and is all round less 'muppety'. Thankfully Orlando bloom is kept to a minimum too.

Thinking of going to catch Gravity in 3D before it's out of the cinema, but i've seen it 3 times already now..haha.

Saw the second instalment of the Hobbit films the other day as well, loved it. Big LOTR fan and this one definitely had more of a feel of the original trilogy about it. Have to say that I didn't like Tauriel or Legolas though, they were a little bit too good at what they do. Really looking forward to the 3rd one now, and hope they make more films from that universe in the future.

I've not seen the Hunger Games films, but I have read the first book. As a big fan of Battle Royale (films and original book) it was very easy for me to dismiss the Hunger Games as copycat sh!te. I suggest that you all do the same.

As far as re-makes go, I would have loved to have seen what Tarantino would do with Battle Royale.

I've not seen the Hunger Games films, but I have read the first book. As a big fan of Battle Royale (films and original book) it was very easy for me to dismiss the Hunger Games as copycat sh!te. I suggest that you all do the same.

You'll be proud of me, Super Michael. I've spent the last couple of years saying the same thing to my Hunger Games-obsessed kids.

They claim that the stories do diverge massively eventually, but I can't help wondering if it's the same b*llocks as Harry Potter ( use an event, like going to Hogwarts, as the structural basis for every novel ). Don't think it was ever based on BR, btw. Just ripped bits of it off wholesale.

You'll be proud of me, Super Michael. I've spent the last couple of years saying the same thing to my Hunger Games-obsessed kids.

They claim that the stories do diverge massively eventually, but I can't help wondering if it's the same b*llocks as Harry Potter ( use an event, like going to Hogwarts, as the structural basis for every novel ). Don't think it was ever based on BR, btw. Just ripped bits of it off wholesale.

The more I learn about your kids Pap, the less I respect them ;)

I can understand stuff being influenced by BR - it's a big cult favourite which marked a bit of a turn in cinema, but there are some parts that are lifted straight from the book...

I can understand stuff being influenced by BR - it's a big cult favourite which marked a bit of a turn in cinema, but there are some parts that are lifted straight from the book...

To be fair, the eldest has pretty decent taste. The youngest has been something of a black sheep when it comes to music, but even she is starting to favour credible bands (the 1D phase was awful).

Tarantino should have remade it, but I guess the opportunity is lost now. S'alright with me. He's made some pretty cool stuff anyway.

There's a Battle Royale book?

Watched gravity in 3d at odeon imax the other day. Surprisingly we were the only ones in there.

Bloody awesome visuals. Felt like you were up there with them.

Watched 3 gruesome films in a row the last 3 nights:

Maniac remake with Frodo - pretty poor apart from the boobs and scalpings.

Devils Rejects from rob zombie - pretty awesome characters with really unsettling violence, plus boobs and blood. Robs wife is hot.

The Raid I'd never heard of, amazingly violent bloody kung fu. A bit like the recent Dredd film.

Just back from watching The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug. I was one of the people who didn't see how Peter Jackson was going to get three films worth of material out of what is a fairly short book, but having seen two parts of the trilogy, am now fully convinced that the whole enterprise will be worthwhile. As the title suggests, the movie's focus is on Smaug, the Cumberbatch-voiced dragon lurking in the bowels of the Lonely Mountain. You get to see the nasty things he's done, the fear he inspires in the locals and the mess he's made of the derelict dwarven kingdom. The VFX for Smaug are excellent, btw. Easily the most impressive winged serpent put on the screen, simultaneously craggy and volcanic. There's also enough filtering on Smaug's voice to allow the actor to be hidden but for the performance to come through.

The pace of the movie will be a relief to anyone bored of the long scenes from the first movie. There are no dwarven songs to be had here. Like the first movie, much of the structure is provided by pursuit. The company is chased throughout the movie by one group or another (mostly orcs), which keeps things moving. The barrel-borne escape from the palace of the woodland elves is particularly diverting, at times feeling like a breakneck fairground ride.

The performances are very good; no bum notes to be had from anyone, although Legolas doesn't have too much to say and comes across as a bit of a d!ck. Tauriel would be the big change in the movie. She doesn't appear in any of the books, but was introduced to the movies to balance up a very male cast. She is played by Evangeline Lilly, a.k.a. Kate from LOST. If Peter Jackson plans on padding the Hobbit out by casting Evangeline Lilly, I've no complaints, especially as she seems to fancy dwarfs.

Looking forward to the conclusion.

I took the kids to see the new film version of 'Walking with Dinosaurs' the other day, and was mildly amused by it. Although co-produced by our very own BBC this is in reality very much a Hollywood film that shifts the emphasis away from the beebs somewhat pseudo scientific/educational approach on TV, towards a schmaltzy entertainment focused kids film.

The plot (such as it is) won't stretch the imagination of even the younger kids all the much, indeed it can be summed as yet another variation on the 'little guy overcomes and gets the girl' theme familiar to all. But if you are looking for something visually impressive that will keep the little ones occupied for a hour or so then (within its self imposed limitations) it was not too bad.

Also available in 3D for those with more money than sense.

Just seen hobbit 2

Was good, definitely worth while making this into 3 films. Otherwise much of the dragon, elvish scenes would have to have been cut

The story also carries in small parts to set up LOTR trilogy with a brief discovery of sauron

No doubt, more will be played on the ring and maybe shmegal may make another appearance in the final film