Boycott

Redondo Saint

Shame on those 'fans' that alllow politics to influence their attendance.

This team are worthy of support by their commitment and work rate.

Oh, and by the sound of it, bloody good to watch.

Can you imagine this scenario without the changes - on and off the pitch?

I must have missed something!

Who is boycotting and why????

I dont agree with people staying away just because of RL but they are entitled to their view. However, they are missing out on some awesome football. Too early to get carried away but there were a lot big smiles on people's faces walking out of there tonight. I'd like to see the boys get the support they deserve for the effort they put in and pride they are showing when they wear the shirt. Something that appeared to be lacking at times over the last couple of seasons.

Its a real pity some people feel that way, but that is their choice. I cant understand it myself as you go to support Southampton Football Club not the manager, the chairman, the board of directors but SFC and whatever 11 players put on the shirt. It was good coming out the ground tonight hearing all the positive comments and actually hearing people say well if they play like that I want to come again.

on the small offchance we do go up, it will be interesting to see if those fans change their tune then, will they still hate Lowe if he manages to mastermind our return to the premiership, because he certainly seems to be on the right track

I have posted this before - and let me say that I am not a big supporter of RL - but the worst time in all my years supporting Saints was during the Branfoot "Reign of Terror". He very nearly drove me out but I thought "sod it" - he is not going to stop me going, I will be here long after he has gone. It was an act of defiance. Its the same with Lowe. He will not stop me supporting the team that I have loved for over 50 years. I hope to be here when he is gone.

Whilst a lot of critisism can be levelled at him for what went on in the past, you have to say that he is doing what needs to be done to save our club (yes and with it his own shares etc) and give us a glimmer of hope. I know that we will get the usual "it`s all his fault in the first place" posts but it is history. We are were we are NOW. Things need to be done NOW for the future. We have to get on with it and hopefully enjoy the ride.

Its a real pity some people feel that way, but that is their choice. I cant understand it myself as you go to support Southampton Football Club not the manager, the chairman, the board of directors but SFC and whatever 11 players put on the shirt. It was good coming out the ground tonight hearing all the positive comments and actually hearing people say well if they play like that I want to come again.

I have no time for Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde - however in order for Rupert Lowe to fail - we will be wanting SFC to fail

I have just got home from spending a fantastic evening watching a team that wanted to play for one another, had pride in wearing a Southampton shirt and were joy to watch.

Many times over the last three years I have come home from matches shaking my head trying to think of one Southampton player that had had a good game. We were in the wilderness.

We have moved on and we have to forget about all that has gone before - we should now support a team that deserves our support and they will play the better for it.

The crowd tonight was very poor at about 13,000 but we saw the best team performance we have seen in years.

Congratulation Jan and to your team of budding stars - long may it continue - you have won me over.

Thanks

on the small offchance we do go up, it will be interesting to see if those fans change their tune then, will they still hate Lowe if he manages to mastermind our return to the premiership, because he certainly seems to be on the right track

Rupert Lowe certainly has a history that isn't completely positive at Saints. He has made mistakes, the biggest of which is so obvious I won't bother to spell it out. But if that mistake is undone, I'm almost certain those that won't go to St Marys because his team are in place will forgive him for his past errors. If those supporters can't forgive then they are the only ones who are actually suffering.

I used to be a fan of Lowe, but hearing his methods and how he treated people put me off the man. His big mistake was just the icing on the cake. He has a certain way about him which I will never be able to completely come to terms with, but if the Club is going in the right direction, and Saints are ultimately solvent and successful, then I have to give him my support and the benefit of the doubt along the way. Anything else has to be head-in-the-sand behaviour.

Rupert Lowe certainly has a history that isn't completely positive at Saints. He has made mistakes, the biggest of which is so obvious I won't bother to spell it out. But if that mistake is undone, I'm almost certain those that won't go to St Marys because his team are in place will forgive him for his past errors. If those supporters can't forgive then they are the only ones who are actually suffering.

I used to be a fan of Lowe, but hearing his methods and how he treated people put me off the man. His big mistake was just the icing on the cake. He has a certain way about him which I will never be able to completely come to terms with, but if the Club is going in the right direction, and Saints are ultimately solvent and successful, then I have to give him my support and the benefit of the doubt along the way. Anything else has to be head-in-the-sand behaviour.

Well said.

What a load of TOSH...its every persons right to decide how and where they spend their money. Comments like this are just stupidly over the top

What a load of TOSH...its every persons right to decide how and where they spend their money. Comments like this are just stupidly over the top

'Stupidly over the top' imo would be saying you'll never go again with Lowe in charge. Forget all that, support the club, the quality young players who are offering better entertainment then I've seen in a long, long, time and lets get a bit of unity and passion back into the club we all love

Guest Hacienda

This young team are playing with a verve and elan that we, as Saints fans, have been waiting for for a long, long time.

Because of that they really do deserve my/our support. I said I'd near set foot in SMS again with Lowe back at the helm but these young lionhearts have done something I didn't believe possible, they've made me believe and I'll be buying tickets for my son and I for Saturday.

It may all end in tears but these youngsters deserve all of us geting behind them.

This young team are playing with a verve and elan that we, as Saints fans, have been waiting for for a long, long time.

Because of that they really do deserve my/our support. I said I'd near set foot in SMS again with Lowe back at the helm but these young lionhearts have done something I didn't believe possible, they've made me believe and I'll be buying tickets for my son and I for Saturday.

It may all end in tears but these youngsters deserve all of us geting behind them.

Well said.

Their choice - and their loss.

They will also need your support when they have a blip and things don't go quite aswell.

But fair play to you in changing your stance.

Good man, pleased to hear that!

I get a feeling you'll be the first of many. But glad to hear. And how did you manage to explain not going to home games to the nipper?

I said I'd near set foot in SMS again with Lowe back at the helm but these young lionhearts have done something I didn't believe possible, they've made me believe and I'll be buying tickets for my son and I for Saturday.

I'm glad you have shifted position and hope, irrespective of the result, will return again and again because as you rightly point out our team deserve it.

I do not like or trust Lowe but we have except he is back be it short or long term. I like a lot of people have said why the hell should my feelings about the man spoil my entertainment and my love for SFC, I forget he is there when watching the quality that was on display last night.

If those fans who claim to be boycotting Lowe do not attend, he will say, "I told you I had to cut my cloth accordingly" and by not going they will actually be giving him all the evidence he needs to trim this club to the bone.

Should we fill the ground every week, then there is ample opportunity to call him to account and less wriggle room for him to justify cost-cutting decisions based on a lack of supporter income.

So by boycotting, all that happens is you strengthen Rupert's hold on the club...

Which is madness.

And like MOG says, this is MY club. Not Lowe's. And with any luck I'll outlive him by some margin (purely on genetic/age statistics, mind, not be virtue of any contract or anything...)

I quite agree, but you are clearly making the decision based on politics not financial.

Frankly, SFC is better off without you.

As a 70 year old would YOU drive from Cheshire and back to watch THIS game ? Or would you save the money and go to a game where your support would be used to greater affect.? These generalised statements NEVER take into consideration Distance to travel...cost of getting there etc etc. Generalisations are not either helpfull nor sensible since you have no idea of each individuals circumstances, they also breed discord between supporters i.e. I am a better fan than...

IMO I think its a poor excuse for not going. I can understand if people just said they didnt want to go as Saints are ****e etc.

Personally I haven't renewed my season ticket due trying to save money over the year and was deluded by the dross of last season. So shall pick my games as and when I can.

However IF people do feel so strongly about Lowe I guess the the advent of good football and seeing a young side progress will bring some 'fans' back eventually.

As a 70 year old would YOU drive from Cheshire and back to watch THIS game ? Or would you save the money and go to a game where your support would be used to greater affect.? These generalised statements NEVER take into consideration Distance to travel...cost of getting there etc etc. Generalisations are not either helpfull nor sensible since you have no idea of each individuals circumstances, they also breed discord between supporters i.e. I am a better fan than...

Can I congratulate you on using 'discord'. I like responses which improve the vocabulary of the messageboard classes.

With regards to your specific circumstances, what the hell possessed you to live in Cheshire and not the glorious Hampshire countryside where I would expect to find someone who used the word 'discord'??

I mean, Beaulieu and Lymington are right posh you know...!!! ;)

As a 70 year old would YOU drive from Cheshire and back to watch THIS game ?

Generalisations are not either helpfull nor sensible since you have no idea of each individuals circumstances.

Then you are not on a boycott, logistically you are unable to attend, that is far different to those who live in the town and refuse to go because of who sits in the chair

IMO I think its a poor excuse for not going. I can understand if people just said they didnt want to go as Saints are ****e etc.

Personally I haven't renewed my season ticket due trying to save money over the year and was deluded by the dross of last season. So shall pick my games as and when I can.

However IF people do feel so strongly about Lowe I guess the the advent of good football and seeing a young side progress will bring some 'fans' back eventually.

I don't think there is much of a boycott, with just a few making the sacrifice.

Money is difficult for some at this present time, together with the worry of maintaining employment.

The far greater number, are probably those who gave up last season, with the no hope dross we had to watch. Hopefully the next two televised games will give them food for thought and rekindle their appetite.

Dont go at your peril..This team will put 6 past somebody soon

So you've not seen them play? Not very strong grounds for making this post.

You've missed my point.

Distance preventing fans attending games is not the debate. I live in California and only make 4 or 5 games per season.

The refusal to attend home games due to the board changes is the issue.

Affording the cost of attendance is for each fan to decide, however, there appears to be some that refuse to support the team for another reason - something I find odd.

You've missed my point.

Distance preventing fans attending games is not the debate. I live in California and only make 4 or 5 games per season.

The refusal to attend home games due to the board changes is the issue.

Affording the cost of attendance is for each fan to decide, however, there appears to be some that refuse to support the team for another reason - something I find odd.

And I think you've missed the point of a lot of 'stay away' fans.

For them it's not so much about the financial cost, more the 'moral' cost. If people can't accept who is running the club, who am I, you or anyone else to tell them how they should or shouldn't show their support [or otherwise] for THEIR club??

Everyone is allowed an opinion on who should play right back, so why deny people their opinion on who is in 'chair'??

And I think you've missed the point of a lot of 'stay away' fans.

For them it's not so much about the financial cost, more the 'moral' cost. If people can't accept who is running the club, who am I, you or anyone else to tell them how they should or shouldn't show their support [or otherwise] for THEIR club??

Everyone is allowed an opinion on who should play right back, so why deny people their opinion on who is in 'chair'??

You're right. I don't get the point of the 'stay away' fans.

Everyone's opinion is allowed, thankfully they are the minority.

Leaving my golf club after 40 years because I don't like the Club Captain would not be something I would do - but we are all different.