New crest design in the summer?

old_southy

Would you like to see a new badge next season?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a new badge next season?

• Keep the current badge
    • A stylised version of the current badge (eg. the silver version)
    • A completely new badge
    • Not bothered either way

I was browsing these redesigned football club badges and it got me thinking about how long before the club 're brands' our club badge.

http://www.lovefootballhatefootball.com/

Our crest is a relic from the 70s and has been meddled with countless times. I don't like change but it is time to evolve this aspect of the club.

It's fine as it is. Some crests in this country are 'relics' from the middle ages, but that gives them class. Rather have ours than some of the modern versions.

While we are on the subject, can we have our red and white stripes back ?

I was browsing these redesigned football club badges and it got me thinking about how long before the club 're brands' our club badge.

http://www.lovefootballhatefootball.com/

Our crest is a relic from the 70s and has been meddled with countless times. I don't like change but it is time to evolve this aspect of the club.

I appreciate the work you put in those badges, but I am not a friend of re branding football clubs, as that's what makes their unique identity...

It's fine as it is. Some crests in this country are 'relics' from the middle ages, but that gives them class. Rather have ours than some of the modern versions.

While we are on the subject, can we have our red and white stripes back ?

Yeah I agree, red and white striped shirts and black shorts for me !!

I can't see what is really wrong with our badge, whether it is because I am a Saints fan, but to me it is one of the better ones out there and stands out, the fact that it has remained relatively unchanged for nearly 40 years shows that in itself it's design was a good one. It does say who we are where we are from and what we are.

Just looking at that website some of those badge changes were pretty backwards stepping, Brentfords looked like it had been put together on a slow day in the office, and being always affectionately known as the Bees that was lost from the identity, which is what a badge of this sort is all about. The Crystal Palace one continues to show the Eagle but the end result quite frankly looks like a design studio having approached a Football club assumed there was a bit of money to be had here went through the process BS and ended up with an Eagle that looks like someone had trawled through Clip-Art for a few hours.

I was given an iPhone cover by one of my kids for Fathers Day last year from the Saints shop, it has a not very big Saints badge on the back. The amount of folks who spot it fleetingly and instantly recognise it is astonishing, especially those who live hundreds of miles from Southampton and even more so have very little interest in Football.

Coca Cola, Kellogs, Heinz, Marmite, you all recognise them instantly they may have had a little tweak over the years but they are a brand identity that folks are familiar with. Our badge is our brand, just because it is as old as it is does not make it naff especially as it is so well established.

Just my thoughts. You never know the Shirts for this season might be the thin end of the wedge. But then when you look at the launch images for the shirts the clever thing was the red and white stripes were there in the image (I think there is a big poster on the wall by the Megastore) As a result it softened the blow of a predominantly all Red and all White shirt which was a break from our established identity.

FWIW, I'm no fan of our current crest. It looks like the designer brainstormed the club and combined the resulting imagary to form an almost childish logo. Yes, it's OUR logo, and we have grown fond of it.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I find the previous crest (the city shield we had in 76) to be a far more professional image. Sure it wasn't owned by the club, so I fully understand the change, but to me it feels far more traditional, and far more complete as a logo. I acutually quite like the crest in the centre of the current badge - the tree rose and waves. The bits I find off putting are the scarf, halo and football. I know that these are the parts that try to incorporate the fans, and the history, but they just feel, well, cheesy, and rather tacky IMO.

Looking at the Premier logos, only Stoke, Reading, Fulham, and possibly West Brom and Norwich have equally bad designs.

I'm sure that a crest revamp will be somewhere on Cortese's to do list. It certainly isn't a priority, but IMO it is a necessary step if his ambition is to be fulfilled. I don't see this as being a priority, and wouldn't want to see us wasting money on the redesign (especially if we ended up with something as shocking at the 2012 Olympics crest), but I still feel that we should update our image a tad - a fresh, ambitious club, not a Blue Peter competition runner up.

Edited by Joensuu

On the subject of the old badge, who is the best person at the club to contact about getting a look at some of the old material about it. Reason I ask is that my dad (Rolland Parris) designed the badge and although he made a b&w copy of the original artwork he sent in, it would be good to see the original (if its not been lost). A while back I did scan in some of the copies of the stuff my dad does have like his original drafts - could put them up here if anyone is interested. I did try and contact the club a few years back and also the Echo who ran the competition but didn't hear anything back from either of them.

Should never be changed.

So are you suggesting we go back to the old badge before it was changed? I think the new one is OK (better than the old one). Consequently, it's difficult for me to say we should or should not change it without seeing what is proposed!

As to whether it should be changed, think I've written on here before that my dad was a graphic designer by trade and as such wanted it changed every few years. Although he's quite proud of it he can't believe its survived this long and would have loved to have designed a new badge himself. I agree with him that it should be updated although the one thing I do like about it is that it is instantly recognisable as Saints, even if you just see a small part of it on the TV or elsewhere.

From 1885 to 1974 we didn't have it. 89 years!

That is 70% of the club's existence without the current badge!

1974 to 2013 - 40 years, so all that at least 75% of our support can remember in their life-time. I don't necessarily think our badge is brilliant, but it is one of the few things about our club that is unique and would be easily recognisable throughout British football. I don't mind change in itself, as long as there is a genuinely good reason behind it, but I can't see what changing the badge would achieve? I've got a feeling we'll go for the black and white silhouette that the club have been using everywhere for the last couple of years.

I don't mind the badge at all. It's fairly simple, it's neat, and it's distinctive enough that people know exactly who it is when they see it. I'm not really fussed if we change it or not, but it wouldn't be on my priority list to change it. I don't see anything else as a better alternative, the city crest is for exactly that, the city and not the football club.

1974 to 2013 - 40 years, so all that at least 75% of our support can remember in their life-time.

People would have been outraged in 1974 that we were changing to the new badge, there is always a starting point for "tradition". If we changed it in 2013, in 40 years time people could say as you just did if in 2053 there was talk of changing it again...

Sour Mash April 2053...

"2013 to 2053 - 40 years, so all that at least 75% of our support can remember in their life-time."

People would have been outraged in 1974 that we were changing to the new badge, there is always a starting point for "tradition". If we changed it in 2013, in 40 years time people could say as you just did if in 2053 there was talk of changing it again...

Sour Mash April 2053...

"2013 to 2053 - 40 years, so all that at least 75% of our support can remember in their life-time."

Why would people be outraged? Prior to this badge we either didn't have any badge printed on shirts or used the city crest. Certainly didn't have a design that we'd used for 40 years, or that was directly relevant to the football club.

and football clubs change their badges all the time, look at Leeds down the years.

nothing wrong with the badge,so recognisable by everyone,leave it be

why change something just for the sake of it.

we now have liverpool/forest strip wich is dreadful,i understand theres not much you can do with red and white stripes but i do prefer our shirts how they used to be and also black shorts.

Sour Mash April 2053...

Don't know what talking about being outraged is all about? Can you think of a good reason for changing our club crest now?

What sort of theme would a new badge take? Most other new club badges are a minor adaptation and modification of the existing badge. What are we hoping for from ours? I can't really see what a minor modification would achieve, the badge is simple enough as it is and IMO stands the test of time adequately (I preferred it with the old ball though).

So failing that, what would/should a new design entail?

Personally I only like the crest part of our badge & wouldn't mind a rebranding & again, personally, I'd like to see the city crest used.

I've no major issues with changing it, Wolves have done so with their countless times & none I know mither about it as they have the wolfs head as their emblem much in the same way the Liver Bird or Gun represent Liverpool & Arsenal no matter what the badge does.

Perhaps it's a recognisable emblem we lack??

Personally I only like the crest part of our badge & wouldn't mind a rebranding & again, personally, I'd like to see the city crest used.

I've no major issues with changing it, Wolves have done so with their countless times & none I know mither about it as they have the wolfs head as their emblem much in the same way the Liver Bird or Gun represent Liverpool & Arsenal no matter what the badge does.

Perhaps it's a recognisable emblem we lack??

That would be my problem. Take away the badge and we have nothing that is unique to us. Look at Pompey, they use their city crest and I think their badge is one of the worst ones going.

If it isn't broken, which it certainly isn't, don't change it. As it is, the crest is far less important (or rather, noticeable) than the shirt. I hate this season's one and wish we could go back to something with proper stripes (and as others have said, black shorts). But as long as we don't do a Cardiff, ultimately it is what happens on the pitch that matters.

didn't somebody mention that we'd be using the silver version?

Pretty sure they just made it up, the silver crest is already in use and there's no reason to think it's anything other than a styling of the existing club badge.

That would be my problem. Take away the badge and we have nothing that is unique to us. Look at Pompey, they use their city crest and I think their badge is one of the worst ones going.

Know it's all highly subjective, and also know that the cool kids on here are fully signed up to the skate-hate vibe, but I have to disagree with you on this one Kraken. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the simple skate design is actually a slicker and more distinctive logo than our rather clumsy and IMO somewhat childish crest.

Oak + water + rose in a more stylised shield for me.

I think we should play upon the halo a lot more, it's a unique iconography in English football (to my recollection). If we were going to get rid of the current badge - which I like - something striped with a the tree, water and the halo would be fine.

If it was so amateurish as some folks have commented, do you not think that the club would have recognised that in the 40 years it has survived for, and gone down the Leeds route in particular and changed it like the weather, or in our case like our Managers.

Back in 1974 the new badge was probably introduced with little outrage because a majority of folks felt included in its inception having come from a Competition. I think if it was changed drastically now without consultation with the fans there would be considerable outrage from the vast majority of fans who don't frequent this forum.

Arsenal changed theirs in 2002 from one that had existed for 64 years with the odd bit of tinkering here and there to great uproar from the fans, despite the main Cannon component from the 1920s remaining. The main reasons for the change was that over the years in which it had been tweaked it had acquired components from here and there which no one knew the origins of, resulting in Arsenal not being able to get a copyright on it, hence the change. In our case we knew the source and when image rights etc loomed on the horizon tweaked the ball to protect it. Blooming expensive exercise changing the company branding.

Hood down Anorak off: I have a Arsenal ST holding mate and club badges came up one evening after about 2 or more bottles of wine and most of the last bit seems to have been embedded in the useless information file between my ears

If it isn't broken, which it certainly isn't, don't change it. As it is, the crest is far less important (or rather, noticeable) than the shirt. I hate this season's one and wish we could go back to something with proper stripes (and as others have said, black shorts). But as long as we don't do a Cardiff, ultimately it is what happens on the pitch that matters.

Lol...imagine if we changed to blue !

One thing I have never heard from any supporter of another team is a derogatory remark about our badge. That seems to be the domain of Saints fans themselves. Ironic isn't it? The thing that marks us out most from among everyone else, is the thing that so many fans want rid of.

Being into design a bit I've often wondered if it could be done better but its our badge, everyone knows it, so why should it be changed.

I've no doubt today's breed of graphic designers could come up with a plethora of designs but I can assure you today's designs will look jaded 10 years down the line. The only way forward is backwards and given back means two red roses over a white one (correct me if I'm wrong, I can't be bothered to get the google image up), though I admire it's simplicity, it would need something quite extraordinary added to it to warrant it being a worthwhile replacement.

The current one looks like what it is - an amateurish fan design from the 1970's.

How many football crests look professionally designed though?

I like the current one so I would be against any change, we'd gain nothing from changing our badge. I wouldn't rule out the club using the black and silver version of the badge on an all black away kit though.

Know it's all highly subjective, and also know that the cool kids on here are fully signed up to the skate-hate vibe, but I have to disagree with you on this one Kraken. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the simple skate design is actually a slicker and more distinctive logo than our rather clumsy and IMO somewhat childish crest.

Oak + water + rose in a more stylised shield for me.

Whereas I genuinely think that the Portsmouth City logo is offensively ugly and everybody involved in its commission should be made to sit in a dark room and think about what they've done.