New crest design in the summer?

old_southy

Would you like to see a new badge next season?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a new badge next season?

• Keep the current badge
    • A stylised version of the current badge (eg. the silver version)
    • A completely new badge
    • Not bothered either way

The badge is brilliant and doesn't need changing, it is certainly not childish.

It shape of it always seems a bit anthropomorphic to me, the Southampton FC black bit is like legs spread wide with and opened flower exposed and the tree is like a pair of breasts and the black bit on the ball is like an open round mouth of someone with their head leaning back. Do the shop do a large blow up version.

I think it needs changing. Looks very childish. Needed doing for a long time. Of course when it does get redone Cortese will be blamed for sucking tradition out of the club again.

If there is a change to the badge it will be yet another nail in the coffin of tradition. This ranks alongside abolition of the terraces, woolly home knitted scarfs and bobble hats, snow covered pitches, and of course the Dell.

The badge is brilliant and doesn't need changing, it is certainly not childish.

It shape of it always seems a bit anthropomorphic to me, the Southampton FC black bit is like legs spread wide with and opened flower exposed and the tree is like a pair of breasts and the black bit on the ball is like an open round mouth of someone with their head leaning back. Do the shop do a large blow up version.

I would struggle to knock one out while looking at the club crest tbf.

Although some on here I expect have been doing that for years.

I quite like the crest as it is very original and different. That said it is very cartoon like and 70's as per the era it was designed. Like most thing's I have an open mind about a change of badge but.... It would depend on what they change it to. There are some shockers around.

FWIW, I'm no fan of our current crest. It looks like the designer brainstormed the club and combined the resulting imagary to form an almost childish logo. Yes, it's OUR logo, and we have grown fond of it.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I find the previous crest (the city shield we had in 76) to be a far more professional image. Sure it wasn't owned by the club, so I fully understand the change, but to me it feels far more traditional, and far more complete as a logo. I acutually quite like the crest in the centre of the current badge - the tree rose and waves. The bits I find off putting are the scarf, halo and football. I know that these are the parts that try to incorporate the fans, and the history, but they just feel, well, cheesy, and rather tacky IMO.

Looking at the Premier logos, only Stoke, Reading, Fulham, and possibly West Brom and Norwich have equally bad designs.

I'm sure that a crest revamp will be somewhere on Cortese's to do list. It certainly isn't a priority, but IMO it is a necessary step if his ambition is to be fulfilled. I don't see this as being a priority, and wouldn't want to see us wasting money on the redesign (especially if we ended up with something as shocking at the 2012 Olympics crest), but I still feel that we should update our image a tad - a fresh, ambitious club, not a Blue Peter competition runner up.

Exactly my thoughts. The scarf, football and halo are distinctly Mickey Mouse and look amateurish, which is only to be expected when it was designed in a competition. Although I've also grown fond of it, I'm also a little embarassed by it and it's long overdue that we redesigned it to reflect the professional outfit that we now are.

My only concern would be for all those who have it tattooed onto various visible parts of their anatomy, but a badge change will provide additional work for the local tattooists, so not all bad news. ;)

I like it. The silver looks more "cutting edge" for the front of the programme etc and the original is spot on for the club's heritage. It is recognisable and, frankly, looks better then most! If it's not broke ...

The original could be done in silver...

bi8k81.jpg

But don't forget these...

v75g7s.jpg 20g0hlz.jpg

We could get something more like...

5ma4qp.jpg or 3589wea.jpg

I think we should play upon the halo a lot more, it's a unique iconography in English football (to my recollection). If we were going to get rid of the current badge - which I like - something striped with a the tree, water and the halo would be fine.

Like this?

Saints_zpsd1ad1730.jpg

I would love it if the guy who runs the blog in the original post could redesign our badge. I think he's got an excellent eye for modern design and I've always thought our own logo was rather elementary and feels like design from the 1970s.

I support this plan.

Not really a fan of any of those but the silver one isnt too bad. If it happens it happens but I just dont see any reason for it.

Me neither...tho' I don't mind the original Southampton crest (although it never actually appeared on a Saints shirt)

Leave the fookin badge alone you bunch of fookwits. Just enjoy the football while its good and stop trying to meddle! Fookin do gooders.

And........relax........I'd guess none of this is really gonna influence matters.

Like this?

Saints_zpsd1ad1730.jpg

Looks effective...like a glance down Southampton Water while portsea island gets nuked.

Granted the article is a few years out of date but its weird how many clubs have changed their crest in recent years.

http://www.logoguru.co.uk/blog/history-epl-club-logos/

Interesting read. I can't believe some of the shockers from the 70's. What was going on with Burnley in 1969 and 1975? or the Birmingham 70's one, yikes!

My favourites from that lot are probably Villa and Spurs.

Dont be surprised if saints have no home friendlies this summer. The pitch will be torn up and under soil heating is to be installed. They aren't sure if the pitch will be ready in time for friendlies therefore.

Undersoil heating is already installed. It has been since St. Mary's was built; its just never been turned on.

Dont be surprised if saints have no home friendlies this summer. The pitch will be torn up and under soil heating is to be installed. They aren't sure if the pitch will be ready in time for friendlies therefore.

The pitch is turfed up most pre-seasons, they still manage to have it sorted for friendlies though. The under-soil heating is physically in place, the connectivity isn't though. And it won't require the pitch to be dug up to have that put on.

For a club like us, home friendlies during pre-season are an important bit of income.

The new crest should be a top priority. It should include the following motifs:

A central, allegorical narrative depicting a brace of Coteses Rampant, swords aloft, vanquishing a small but hateful army of Programme Sellers.

Beneath this, a Leibherr earth mover is seen to be preparing a massive 98000 seat stadium site, flanked by heraldic trumpeter king prawns, these symbolising the burgeoning hospitality market and it's importance to the future of the club.

Finally, the crest is complete being encircled by golden, European Flag style stars referencing the ambition and certainty of Champions League competition. Each star will, in turn, change from gold to platinum over the years to reflect our Champions League triumphs. This innovative aspect ensures the crest constantly evolves and is a fluid, living representation of the club, rather than the traditional fixed affair, mired in it's era.

We could get something more like...

5ma4qp.jpg or 3589wea.jpg

Something along these lines will happen sooner rather than later.

If Cortese wants us in the higher echelons of the Premier League, he'll very likely want us to be easily marketable. The shield with the part halo is an easily protectable IP, (with or without text) which is cheap to reproduce on merchandise and'll be more easily taken on board by a worldwide audience.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 'Saints' officially incorporated into our name either.

I notice on the Eterna watch website ( sponsors ) they are using the silver crest, which suggests that could be the new one from next season,

It's just a more corporate type styling of the logo, also being used all along the Itchen above the executive boxes on a black background, it probably has nothing to do with changing the badge - why would they keep the shape but remove all of the information like team name and so on ? How many other clubs have a monochrome nebulus shield-shaped blob as their club crest ?

Like this?

Saints_zpsd1ad1730.jpg

"Rubbish design from the 1970s" replaced by rubbish design from the 1970s ? Probably not. But actually, yes, that was exactly what I was picturing, which is why I was hoping someone would produce something different. :)

Granted the article is a few years out of date but its weird how many clubs have changed their crest in recent years.

http://www.logoguru.co.uk/blog/history-epl-club-logos/

It's not just a little out of date, it's also missing a few notable crests - Chelsea had a plain CFC in the 70s, the current lion without any kind of circular surround in the mid 80s, and a different circular badge design prior to the current one which has also been amended since 2005 to add more balls/flowers to represent their titles.

Could be better designed as well, the re-use of the Burnley crest from the 60s is barely a footnote and they've been using it for the past 3-4 seasons.

Good site though.

• 1 month later...
Fxxk tradition. Let's get 21st century and stop living in the flaming 19th century, the past is never as good as people make it out to be.

I surprised most of you use computers seeing as we never had them in our houses in the 70s - it's outrageous.

Yep. Adopting a 1980s style Liverpool kit is definitely getting into the 21st century. Good point Dave-o.

Fxxk tradition. Let's get 21st century and stop living in the flaming 19th century, the past is never as good as people make it out to be.

I surprised most of you use computers seeing as we never had them in our houses in the 70s - it's outrageous.

Tell you what, you're so right.

Our current red kit is, like, sooo futuristic and cutting edge. Its up there with the Minidisc and Reebok Pumps.

I've always thought the badge poor and I still do. That said, the idea of marketing people designing the badge makes me shudder.

Agree with this.

The original question however is impossible to answer, as for me, it depends on what is proposed as the altewrnative.

Gecko, and a couple of others, gave us some excellent potential alternatives when this question made its annual appearance a year or so ago, but as VFTP points out, if marketing types are given a free run at it then the level of sh!t they might create, knows no bounds.

Finally, can Cortese be trusted to change it to something that represents SFC and captures the spirit - and tradition - of Saints ? Probably not.

I've always thought the badge poor and I still do. That said, the idea of marketing people designing the badge makes me shudder.

I really don't like our badge. Letting the marketing guys have a go at it would be a small price to pay... I'd fancy they'd do something half-decent, tbf...

On the subject of the old badge, who is the best person at the club to contact about getting a look at some of the old material about it. Reason I ask is that my dad (Rolland Parris) designed the badge and although he made a b&w copy of the original artwork he sent in, it would be good to see the original (if its not been lost). A while back I did scan in some of the copies of the stuff my dad does have like his original drafts - could put them up here if anyone is interested. I did try and contact the club a few years back and also the Echo who ran the competition but didn't hear anything back from either of them.

Blimey, all those Sunday morning games Matt, and I didn't even know a celebrity was watching us. Hope your dad is well.

I quite like our badge. It easily identifies us and I don't think its too busy, as a lot of older logos are (particularly from the 70s the 80s). And like others I dread to think what utter abomination our current design team would come up with.