New crest design in the summer?

old_southy

Would you like to see a new badge next season?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a new badge next season?

• Keep the current badge
    • A stylised version of the current badge (eg. the silver version)
    • A completely new badge
    • Not bothered either way

Don't change. My tattoo would be out of date.

Please no. Got the badge on my leg just under a year ago, will be f*cking livid if it's changed.

I wouldn't worry too much, your tat's will still be more recognisable in 20 years time than something like...

3589wea.jpg

Which is a good design & I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with something similar, if the badge was redesigned.

I like our badge, It's instantly recognisable. The Silver and Gold versions that have been used recently are quite nice - a bit 'cleaner' & less cartoony, but still instantly recognisable - at least to most football fans. I'd presume this would add to the brand value of the current crest?

Also, remember that the last time the badge was meddled with, the ball was painted red.

That SFC halo shield thing is utter gash and looks like it was created by an 8 year old.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a monochrome gold crest on the rumoured black away kit, Adidas did that with the Stoke away in the leaks but their final shirt had their normal badge on it.

That isn't changing the badge though, just changing the way the same badge is presented.

That SFC halo shield thing is utter gash and looks like it was created by an 8 year old.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a monochrome gold crest on the rumoured black away kit, Adidas did that with the Stoke away in the leaks but their final shirt had their normal badge on it.

That isn't changing the badge though, just changing the way the same badge is presented.

So that's not changing it then?

Which is a good design & I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with something similar, if the badge was redesigned

To be honest I did that to show what I thought it could possibly look like if it were to be changed as these had been introduced by the club at the time.

33y5dnp.jpg

2z8dbnq.jpg

Obviously you'd never please everyone, there will always be some who'd hate as much as others love a design, I quite liked the current crest when it first appeared in 1974 but thought it was well out-of-date a long time ago and should have been replaced. Personally I'd prefer something like...

2u4r98w.jpg

No doubt others would hate that.

I was browsing these redesigned football club badges and it got me thinking about how long before the club 're brands' our club badge.

http://www.lovefootballhatefootball.com/

Our crest is a relic from the 70s and has been meddled with countless times. I don't like change but it is time to evolve this aspect of the club.

From what I have been told our current badge is the result of a competition after the 76 F.A. Cup, as a badge/logo I do feel that it is a bit past it's sell by date, however, I am happy to go with the majority on this one, I would like to know if my information is correct though, in terms of how it came to be.

Personally I'd prefer something like...

2u4r98w.jpg

No doubt others would hate that.

Its a very nice badge; classic, clean and traditional. The thing for me about this, and perhaps most other different designs, are that it doesn't really say anything about the football club other than the writing. Yes, our current badge is cartoony but I quite like the fact that the halo, the ball and the scarf are built into it, along with others features of the city. I think we could probably come up with something nicer than we have (we could also come up with something much worse) but I don't see what else could represent the football club rather than just the city as well as ours.

Its a very nice badge; classic, clean and traditional. The thing for me about this, and perhaps most other different designs, are that it doesn't really say anything about the football club other than the writing. Yes, our current badge is cartoony but I quite like the fact that the halo, the ball and the scarf are built into it, along with others features of the city. I think we could probably come up with something nicer than we have (we could also come up with something much worse) but I don't see what else could represent the football club rather than just the city as well as ours.

I like the ball and halo but would have like to have seen a ship on the crest back then, Southampton is probably more famous for the docks than anything else. The Spitfire could have been another option.

BTW the '2010' on that badge is from the Anniversary year when it was suggested a new crest should be brought in to mark it.

Maybe we should add some Latin to our crest to give it a really impressive feel. I suggest:

Now that I do approve of.

'Qui ridetis nunc est irrumabo' which Google translate tells me is the Latin for 'who the f**k is the laughing now'.

There have been so many logos and badge tweaks and changes for many clubs, including ours, over the decades that I find it hard defending it as traditional. Having said that, I've not seen any huge need to change it (apologies to others who simply don't like it). Looking at other clubs, I can't see too many where I think the changes have been hugely better. More streamlined is about the best it gets. But only sometimes. And sometimes losing a bit of identity. I prefer showing some history on the badge as opposed to a shield with a swish that has to be explained to me as part of a halo.

I like the current badge. As others have said its definitely "us" and instantly recognisable.

However change and progress are inevitable and it seems tradition has no place in the modern game.

That said I'm not sure I trust the club to come up with a decent design!

From what I have been told our current badge is the result of a competition after the 76 F.A. Cup, as a badge/logo I do feel that it is a bit past it's sell by date, however, I am happy to go with the majority on this one, I would like to know if my information is correct though, in terms of how it came to be.

You've been misinformed.

The badge was as a result of a competition to design a new crest, but in 1974. The club had this crest when they won the F A Cup.

The badge was designed during our relegation season.

Noooo to change. My 19 year old lad just got the tattoo on his calf for Christmas.

He would be gutted!

Every club in the country has made numerous changes to their badges over the years. Anyone that gets a tattoo is daft to think that it would never change from the version they pick.

Neither would I be.

Bin a classic badge for a slightly crap modern version of it....

Clever....

TBH I think the new one looks no worse than the previous one. The white elements on the graduated background of the old badge look awful in my opinion.

You really are such a bell-end.

He is right though.

I know, for some reason you think that change is disgusting (unless you approve)

But it happens and happens at every club. Even the great Manchester United

No reason to call him that name at all

He is right though.

I know, for some reason you think that change is disgusting (unless you approve)

No reason to call him that name at all

What on earth are you on about TDD? I quite like our badge but I'm not averse to a change if its a decent change.

He is right though.

Some people change their forum personas as well.

Even the great thedelldays.

Some people change their forum personas as well.

Even the great thedelldays.

What are you on about you bitter, bitter man. Ask the site owner if you want, rather than try and score a point on a message board

What on earth are you on about TDD? I quite like our badge but I'm not averse to a change if its a decent change.

My point is. Calling him a bell-end

Also, I invite you to ask the site owner if I am who you think I am.

Cheers

Oh. I thought your point was also about changing the badge, TDD. My mistake.

Why do you persist with this TDD

Please, ask the site owners who have my details

Cheers

Then again, of course you won't. Even though you call people "bell-end" you are also amazed how people get het up about what is written on a message board

It is so weird pretending to be someone else when it is entirely obvious that you are TDD. Do you have a personality disorder?

Anyway, again, contact the owners if you are intent on trying to "out" someone as I am sure the wider forum community could not care less.

Everton have now announced that the new crest will only stay for this season, and they'll work closer with fans to design a new one for future seasons.

...by which time they'll all be used to it, and no-one will say a word in a year's time. Just like if we're in red again this season everyone who isn't bothered will say "oh well it's just like last year's, what's the problem?".

...by which time they'll all be used to it, and no-one will say a word in a year's time. Just like if we're in red again this season everyone who isn't bothered will say "oh well it's just like last year's, what's the problem?".
I hope its the opposite, and rather than buying the shirt last season because it was a novelty, this time round we'd actually have some significant opposition to it as a future re-branding. Sadly I can't see that being the case, there's plenty of fans who'll buy the shirt come what may.

I hope its the opposite, and rather than buying the shirt last season because it was a novelty, this time round we'd actually have some significant opposition to it as a future re-branding. Sadly I can't see that being the case, there's plenty of fans who'll buy the shirt come what may.

One of the reasons why I started the "Preferred Kit Poll" thread, to get a feel for whether people genuinely want Saints in stripes or not. About 63% pro-stripes at the moment. The Pointless Kit Thread has a bit of a discussion about whether people are bothered enough to DO anything about it, long and short of it seems to be "not really other than not buying it" so far. When it comes down to it, the (likely) adidas change will probably rope enough people in and after that, who knows.

One thing's for sure, the argument that "we look like Sunderland and Stoke" looks pretty stupid when we're choosing to look like Liverpool, Man U, Cardiff and Arsenal instead.

Edited by The9

One of the reasons why I started the "Preferred Kit Poll" thread, to get a feel for whether people genuinely want Saints in stripes or not. About 63% pro-stripes at the moment.

I suspect the feeling would be a lot stronger outside of the 'mongboard community' if asked.

One of the reasons why I started the "Preferred Kit Poll" thread, to get a feel for whether people genuinely want Saints in stripes or not. About 63% pro-stripes at the moment. The Pointless Kit Thread has a bit of a discussion about whether people are bothered enough to DO anything about it, long and short of it seems to be "not really other than not buying it" so far.

That's all it would take, though. Bringing out a red shirt this season kind of made sense; there's only so much you can do with traditional stripes, and if you keep churning them out year on year I doubt that's as good a sales strategy as mixing it about. Even if the red shirt was seen as totally sh*t by some, it was novel and different and I can see that plenty probably bought one for that novelty factor. The test will come if we find we have indeed been subject to a rebranding and we have an all-red kit again this year. Its very much a lite-version of what Cardiff have been through, and a situation I'd much prefer to avoid. But if it does happen, the only way we're getting stripes back on the agenda is if people wholesale refuse to accept the re-branding and don't buy the kit. Its the only protest we have of any note whatsoever; but I think fans' ambivalence to the whole affair will get the better of them in the long run.

That's all it would take, though. Bringing out a red shirt this season kind of made sense; there's only so much you can do with traditional stripes, and if you keep churning them out year on year I doubt that's as good a sales strategy as mixing it about. Even if the red shirt was seen as totally sh*t by some, it was novel and different and I can see that plenty probably bought one for that novelty factor. The test will come if we find we have indeed been subject to a rebranding and we have an all-red kit again this year. Its very much a lite-version of what Cardiff have been through, and a situation I'd much prefer to avoid. But if it does happen, the only way we're getting stripes back on the agenda is if people wholesale refuse to accept the re-branding and don't buy the kit. Its the only protest we have of any note whatsoever; but I think fans' ambivalence to the whole affair will get the better of them in the long run.

Pretty much agreed on that, I'm still protesting the car park charge by never using the car park at the stadium, so far it's cost them about £130 in kit purchases that I haven't made, that also being a tacit protest against the pointless white kit as well, not that they know about it of course.

What are you on about you bitter, bitter man. Ask the site owner if you want, rather than try and score a point on a message board

We have been through this. There are a number of pieces of evidence that show that you are delldays that have already been explained. Delldays often moved around so clearly you could have a different location and IP. Anything else such as an email address could easily be different. Give it up.

Keep the current badge. It's instantly recognisable and frankly there's nothing wrong with it. Look at the Everton fiasco. I've never wanted a tattoo, but if I were going to get one, I know what I'd choose to have...

Keep the current badge. It's instantly recognisable and frankly there's nothing wrong with it. Look at the Everton fiasco. I've never wanted a tattoo, but if I were going to get one, I know what I'd choose to have...

The Everton badge?

Pretty much agreed on that, I'm still protesting the car park charge by never using the car park at the stadium, so far it's cost them about £130 in kit purchases that I haven't made, that also being a tacit protest against the pointless white kit as well, not that they know about it of course.

It's not actually cost the club a bean! That's just an amount you state you would of spent.

It's not actually cost the club a bean! That's just an amount you state you would of spent.

No, it's the amount I definitely DID spend on kits in previous seasons. This season I bought the home shirt from a mate for £30, as he won it in a competition and already had one, and haven't bought anything else.

Last season I bought full home and away kits (including the alternative socks on the yellow kit), the season before I bought the sash, shorts, socks and full black away kit, the season before that the entire charcoal away, the season before that the entire navy/yellow away and the whole Umbro striped home. So, no, it hasn't cost them a penny, other than the 5 pieces of kit I definitely would have bought normally (plus random ad hoc trips in to pick up the odd bit of training kit).

Basically what they've managed to do is lose my goodwill, and take me out of the routine of dropping by to see if there's anything worth getting, and that's worth more than they're ever getting back from car park fees from me.

We have been through this. There are a number of pieces of evidence that show that you are delldays that have already been explained. Delldays often moved around so clearly you could have a different location and IP. Anything else such as an email address could easily be different. Give it up.

Who cares? Really. Just because Delldays usually ran rings around you, you come across like a dog gnawing at a bone. You give it up.

No, it's the amount I definitely DID spend on kits in previous seasons. This season I bought the home shirt from a mate for £30, as he won it in a competition and already had one, and haven't bought anything else.

Last season I bought full home and away kits (including the alternative socks on the yellow kit), the season before I bought the sash, shorts, socks and full black away kit, the season before that the entire charcoal away, the season before that the entire navy/yellow away and the whole Umbro striped home. So, no, it hasn't cost them a penny, other than the 5 pieces of kit I definitely would have bought normally (plus random ad hoc trips in to pick up the odd bit of training kit).

Basically what they've managed to do is lose my goodwill, and take me out of the routine of dropping by to see if there's anything worth getting, and that's worth more than they're ever getting back from car park fees from me.

You can easily find a free parking space in Britannia Road outside the stadium more often than not, so your protest lacks credibility.