The Southampton Transfer Committee...

Glasgow_Saint

How would you rate the committee?

Spoke to a contact this morning and he describes the summer as "frustrating" and alluded to targets being reassessed.

Good Transfers

Artur Boruc

Maya Yoshida

Nathaniel Clyne

Jay Rodriguez

Jack Cork

Bad Transfers

Emmanuel Mayuka

Paulo Gazzaniga

Tadanari Lee

Steve de Ridder

Danny Fox

Jonathan Forte

Dany N'Guessan

Vegard Forren

Gastón Ramírez

TBC

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

The jury is well and truly out - how can you rate Gazza****** as bad? He hasn't been given a chance yet! A bit like old Bartman will sit in the shadows until asked to perform heroics. Not sure about Ramirez either - certainly not lived up to all the hype but hoping he comes good!

I think you have to be a bit less dramatic (you old drama queen) - most of these players were bought with getting out of The Championship in mind. The others you rate as good are all Premiership players.

I look back further than the Chaplows of this world what about Rudi Skacel - has he signed yet? Never forget that sitter he missed at Colchester - I blame Guly...incidentally where does he fit into this magical analysis? :-)

My version

In its own class

Rickie Lambert

Good Transfers

Artur Boruc

Maya Yoshida

Nathaniel Clyne

Jay Rodriguez

Jack Cork

Billy Sharp

Ambivalent Transfers

Goolie

Steven Davis

Richard Chaplow

Danny Fox

Bad Transfers

Emmanuel Mayuka

Tadanari Lee

Steve de Ridder

Jonathan Forte

Dany N'Guessan

Vegard Forren

Gastón Ramírez

TBC

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

Paulo Gazzaniga

I agree about the frustration; I think we are 3 or 4 players short. Would love to know where the problem lies; wouldnt be surprised if it is something to do with our negotiation strategy.

Edited by alpine_saint

Ahh in a perfect world where every transfer we make is a good one. Yours is a very subjective list that doesn't inexplicably include Lambert, Sharp and many more that would show a balanced view.

Also, if anything, getting to the premiership earlier than expected signed the death knell for some of those players (e.g. Lee) who otherwise would probably have been "good" in the Championship.

Mayuka and Forren are the only ones in the bad list I agree with and even then Mayuka might come good. Ramirez may yet join the list but give him a bit of time.

Forte should be on the good list for the fact that he cost us very little and (b) scored two crucial goals vs. MK Dons.

Every transfer window is frustrating but we have been active and got some of our targets. Still plenty of time and lots of dependencies that sit behind why moves do or do not occur.

Ahh in a perfect world where every transfer we make is a good one. Yours is a very subjective list that doesn't inexplicably include Lambert, Sharp and many more that would show a balanced view.

Also, if anything, getting to the premiership earlier than expected signed the death knell for some of those players (e.g. Lee) who otherwise would probably have been "good" in the Championship.

Mayuka and Forren are the only ones in the bad list I agree with and even then Mayuka might come good. Ramirez may yet join the list but give him a bit of time.

Forte should be on the good list for the fact that he cost us very little and (b) scored two crucial goals vs. MK Dons.

Every transfer window is frustrating but we have been active and got some of our targets. Still plenty of time and lots of dependencies that sit behind why moves do or do not occur.

Lambert, Fonte and everyone else signed in the first season Cortese was here were signed by Pardew. The committee didnt come into effect until 2010/11 season and even then Adkins made some of his own signs, Forte, N'Gessen, Chaplow, Bignall. If its committee signings being assessed then Lambert isn't one of them.

I wonder whether this adds any weight to the fact that as someone said on the hcdajfu thread we appear to be linked with less exciting names.

Sounds mental I know and I'm not going to lose sleep over it but makes you wonder whether they are getting fed up with being messed around by players

whos clubs are happy to deal with us. Could be 2 + 2 = 5 of course but it makes sense to me if this was the case.

The 'frustrating' comment is both good and bad. It might suggest that deals fell though for players we wanted, or targets refused to sign but it also suggests that we are still looking to recruit. Overall that feels positive although as always it depends on how the players bought in perform.

Ha, the most ridiculous thing of this post is Glasgow saying he has a 'contact'...he just makes it up!

Since the takeover......this is how I would rate them.

BETTER THAN EXPECTED

Clyne

Puncheon

Fonte

Hammond

Lambert

Jaidi

Yoshida

Harding

Guly

Richardson

Cork

DID A GOOD JOB AT THE LEVEL/TIME THEY WERE BOUGHT IN AT

Papa Waigo

Antonio

Trotman

Mellis

Barnard

Rodriguez

S Davis

Sharp

D Stephens

Fox

Hooiveld

Chaplow

Butterfield

Dickson

Below Par

Otsemebor

Seaborne

Forren

Forte

N'Guessen

Bignall

Falque

Lee

De Ridder

TBC

Ramirez

Mayuka

Gazzaniga

Lovren

Wanyama

Yep feel the urgency, the window is about to close....

http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/leagues_transfer_window.htm

More signings will come - nobody is disputing that!!

The concern is that top targets have been missed and we are now targetting 6/7/8th choices. this isnt a concern for you?

We have posters saying "no thanks" to Torres, Demba Ba, Leandro Damiao and Loïc Rémy. How will they feel when Emil Hallfredsson signs?

More signings will come - nobody is disputing that!!

The concern is that top targets have been missed and we are now targetting 6/7/8th choices. this isnt a concern for you?

We have posters saying "no thanks" to Torres, Demba Ba, Leandro Damiao and Loïc Rémy. How will they feel when Emil Hallfredsson signs?

That I have no evidence for and cant really have an opinion on.

Hallfredson, Bergessio and the types of rumours that come out from Italy.....well Italy should say it all. Agents doing what agents are supposed to do and I would guess we´re an "easy" target to be mentioned down there.

Doesn´t bother me at all if we´re mentioned but I dont believe there is any substance of truth in those.

That I have no evidence for and cant really have an opinion on.

Hallfredson, Bergessio and the types of rumours that come out from Italy.....well Italy should say it all. Agents doing what agents are supposed to do and I would guess we´re an "easy" target to be mentioned down there.

Doesn´t bother me at all if we´re mentioned but I dont believe there is any substance of truth in those.

so in summary - you'll be disappointed when Emil Hallfredsson signs! Yep me too

Why have you cherry picked which transfers to use Glasgow? In the last 4 years the club has had over 50 incoming player transactions, you've left a lot of them out.

Yes, some mistakes have been made (which club gets 100% of its transfers right?), but in that time the club has risen from 68th to 14th in England. So clearly the "transfer committee" are doing something very right!

a few that dont sit in good or bad imho

why have you cherry picked which transfers to use glasgow? In the last 4 years the club has had over 50 incoming player transactions, you've left a lot of them out.

Yes, some mistakes have been made (which club gets 100% of its transfers right?), but in that time the club has risen from 68th to 14th in england. So clearly the "transfer committee" are doing something very right!

hth

a few that dont sit in good or bad imho

So "a few" actually refers to about 35? :D

As I said - cherry picking. You can't pass judgement without looking at them all in context and give consideration as to where the club was in the summer of 2009 to where it is a mere 4 years later.

Edited by Matthew Le God

So "a few" actually refers to about 35? :D

As I said - cherry picking. You can't pass judgement without looking at them all in context and give consideration as to where the club was in the summer of 2009 to where it is a mere 4 years later.

The "committee" didnt come into effect until late 2010/11 season. This isnt a thread about our signings since 2009. Read the thread title mate

Youre not having a good day again are you?

Still cannot believe how badly people are rating Gaston...He was 21, didn't really speak English, different country, had about 19 games for us from midfield, scored 5, 4 assists and all in a relegation batting team.

The sensible idea is putting him into the TBC category. Looking forward to seeing how he does this year.

Also, think how Cortese has done having no experience in the transfer market or in football. Look where the club is. Players and businessmen alike do have the ability to improve.

record transfer fee, big wages, been here a year - done nothing to justify big fee, hype, or wages.

A club of our stature is never going to attract the big big signings, we can try...and get a bit lucky with Lovren and Wanyama, but most players are going to choose european football over a stint on the south coast.

Like I said, we may as well try; and if they dont wok out, move on to 2nd choice.....3rd choice etc.

Bad Transfers

Emmanuel Mayuka

Paulo Gazzaniga

Tadanari Lee

Steve de Ridder

Danny Fox

Jonathan Forte

Dany N'Guessan

Vegard Forren

Gastón Ramírez

Of those you listed as "bad transfers" I'd agree with...

Tadanari Lee

Vegard Forren

Take these signings in context...

Jonathan Forte - his goals vs MK Dons were very important, obviously surplus in the Premier League

Dany N'Guessan - a short term loan that served a purpose to cover injuries and helped gain promotion from League One in the few games he had

Steve de Ridder - played a role in gaining promotion from the Championship.

This one I really don't understand why you have labelled it as a "bad transfer"...

Danny Fox - Yes, he isn't great in the Premier League, but look at the signing in context. He was signed when Saints were in the the Championship and played a key role in promotion.

And now for...

Emmanuel Mayuka - he is only 22 and although he has had only a small amount of game-time I think he looks promising. Far too early to be writing him off.

Paulo Gazzaniga - Again, very young for a keeper and it is far too early to be writing him off because of a couple of errors in the 1st team

Gastón Ramírez - An extremely good player, young and yes he can being frustrating but I think he will come good. Last season he had no pre-season with Saints, a bad injury, a family bereavement and had to adapt to a new country. Lets not write him off just yet. This season will give us a better idea.

The "committee" didnt come into effect until late 2010/11 season. This isnt a thread about our signings since 2009. Read the thread title mate

What are you describing as the "committee"? In 2009 it would have been Cortese, Pardew and the head scout discussing if they should or shouldn't sign a player, is that not a "committee"? Or is something only a committee if Les Reed is present? Strange how people don't give Les Reed credit for the good signings and only criticise him for the bad ones... why is that?

Edited by Matthew Le God

But what else are you supposed to do, seriously, the top targets have been targeted and are either unavailable or don't want to come to the club, so you fall back to the next target and so on and such forth.

You can't target and bid for all or your targets at the same time. What happens if we'd targeted this Hallfredsson at the same time we were targeting, say, Osvaldo and they both said yes, but in reality we only wanted Osvaldo. What would we do, say to Hallfredsson thanks but no thanks, that'd bode well for future transfers wouldn't it??

But what else are you supposed to do, seriously, the top targets have been targeted and are either unavailable or don't want to come to the club, so you fall back to the next target and so on and such forth.

You can't target and bid for all or your targets at the same time. What happens if we'd targeted this Hallfredsson at the same time we were targeting, say, Osvaldo and they both said yes, but in reality we only wanted Osvaldo. What would we do, say to Hallfredsson thanks but no thanks, that'd bode well for future transfers wouldn't it??

That's exactly what we did with Elliott ward and dan seaborne, so yes, it is what we do and no it hasn't effected us.

Can't help but laugh at the people writing off Ramirez he's still young... How many years did Sneiderlin take to come good? He had a cracker of a year... A few years ago I thought he was ****e!

Jury's still out of Of Gazza and Mayuka though they're you g and need time

Crowds

:lol: That's very convenient for you, isn't it.

Your "contact" is the biggest load of b*llocks ever by the way - and no, that's not an invite for you to copy and paste the list of exclusives you didn't break first.

I have Alpine on ignore, he most negative poster.....who moaned constently whilst we achived back to back promotions...and survived last year in the PL.

To the transfer committee question I think you are harsh when you think that back to back promotions were achieved, some players are bought on the understanding that they are a work in progress, others satisfy a short term requirement. Others not. Lambert fantastic buy, Fox is an excellent purchase, same for Rodrigues, same for Chaplow, Sharp, Guly too. It's all about opinions at the end of the day.....we all go with what we know at the time.

Anyone who thinks they are poor are probably unable to link where we and where we are now, the speed at which we arrived here.

Or is something only a committee if Les Reed is present? Strange how people don't give Les Reed credit for the good signings and only the bad ones... why is that?

Because people on this Forum and in the wider world too like to have something to moan about. If the Internet hadn't been invented they'd be writing letters to the local and national newspapers for a hobby.

And as for Glasgow's comment about 'it's okay to have an opinion' I think it clearly isn't on this forum!

:lol: That's very convenient for you, isn't it.

Your "contact" is the biggest load of b*llocks ever by the way

Jealous much? :facepalm:

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Most popular SWF poster ever

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Almost 10,000 profile visits

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

Lambert, Fonte and everyone else signed in the first season Cortese was here were signed by Pardew. The committee didnt come into effect until 2010/11 season and even then Adkins made some of his own signs, Forte, N'Gessen, Chaplow, Bignall. If its committee signings being assessed then Lambert isn't one of them.

Incorrect. It's been a collective process since day one. Cortese said as much himself in an early interview

Ramirez will go down in our history as our worst transfer, possibly since Delgado, possibly ever.

I have very low expectations from him this season.

Thank you for your opinion. My opinion is I disagree strongly, and this kind of nihilistic post is the sort of comment that I find exasperating at times on this site.

In terms of his performances to date he has underperformed id say, but the gap between that and worst ever signing - wow that's some stretch! It seems to me to betray your habitual tendencies towards pessimism, for which you are infamous on this site. Being a Saints supporter of over 40 years I do share some of those tendencies - but to attribute them to this player based on last season - well I think you are wrong. He can do much better, but it is the rest of the players around him who need to up their levels a bit also.

Jealous much? :facepalm:

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Most popular SWF poster ever

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers