Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

My mistake, turns out it was from the Sky interview.

"I know [Vlaar] from when he was playing at Feyenoord. It depends on the [Lovren] situation but we will decide who we bring in. There are a lot of rumours in football and I can do nothing about that."

To me that suggests we will only move to sign a CB if/when Lovren leaves.

If other clubs were naming our players some on this board wopuld go mental. That said it's nice to be on the other side of it and I hope we sign someone this week, it'd be something different buy another Prem team's best player or near as damn it.

My concern is I read somewhere Ronald suggesting we would only need to look to buy a CB if Lovren leaves. Even if he was happy and stayed we would still need another top CB. I do hope this isn't an oversight for the second summer running (we needed another one last summer).

Moot point as Lovren will go. However I think we are Ok at CB if only playing two. Yoshida is decent 3rd choice and people should overlook a couple of performances last year when he was clearly rusty.

If other clubs were naming our players some on this board wopuld go mental. That said it's nice to be on the other side of it and I hope we sign someone this week, it'd be something different buy another Prem team's best player or near as damn it.

I agree but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. More that it suggests we aren't prioritising a CB unless Lovren leaves, in which case we will need two.

Moot point as Lovren will go. However I think we are Ok at CB if only playing two. Yoshida is decent 3rd choice and people should overlook a couple of performances last year when he was clearly rusty.

I agree about Yoshida, he is an adequate 3rd/4th choice for now. The biggest problem we have is Jos, who needs to be replaced regardless of Lovren leaving.

Once Lovren leaves we will need another, so in total 2 high quality CB's for natural evolution of the squad.

First of all, why do you keep following me around? This is getting pretty serious.

Secondly, if you read my post above I have actually alluded to the above, acknowledging that I have in the past been hasty. But hey, accuracy has never been your thing, but then who would have the time when you spend your life following me around on this board. The funniest thing is, up until a couple of months ago (when Glasgow got banned coincidentally) no-one actually knew who the **** you were. Since then you've done a 'Goatboy' and shadowed me around this board. What is your obsession? Seriously.

I've made the odd comment, Jeff. I have also contributed to a lot more threads that haven't involved you, so the obsession thing is a bit ridiculous. I couldn't care less if nobody knows who I am on here, though you do seem to care intensely.

I am not Glasgow, this is my only account I have ever had on here despite your paranoia, and I've been pretty clear about who I am before, via my twitter account.

If you'd only PM me your address and telephone number then I'm sure we could sort this misunderstanding out. ;)

I agree about Yoshida, he is an adequate 3rd/4th choice for now. The biggest problem we have is Jos, who needs to be replaced regardless of Lovren leaving.

Once Lovren leaves we will need another, so in total 2 high quality CB's for natural evolution of the squad.

Why do we need to replace Hooiveld? And why do we need to buy an additional CB? There is always room for improvement, but it's hardly a priority.

Saints saying they looking to off load Osvaldo. And that Lovren has asked to leave, and RK has asked fans to be patient on transfers. They are working on it. And no need to hurry, as looking for the right replacements.

Report on Twitter by Radio Solent..

Well frankly saying there is no need to hurry is rubbish. There is a clear need to get as many in and settled ASAP. The last thing I want is us scraping a team together for the first two games and then dropping a load of points because we haven't had time together as a unit.

Well frankly saying there is no need to hurry is rubbish. There is a clear need to get as many in and settled ASAP. The last thing I want is us scraping a team together for the first two games and then dropping a load of points because we haven't had time together as a unit.

especially when this has been ongoing since may (and before that)

Why do we need to replace Hooiveld? And why do we need to buy an additional CB? There is always room for improvement, but it's hardly a priority.

Fonte and Lovren were our strongest pairing last season yet both had a mistake in them especially Fonte. I would actually say they are both a bit clumsy and liable to give a penalty away. If we want to improve our record against the teams that finished above us we definitely need at least one quality CB, two when Lovren leaves.

If RK says there is no need to hurry, then why do you know better? Are you taking over?

This is exactly what will happen, starting with a spanking at Anfield, and Lambert 'not celebrating' his 4 goals against us. Wispy beardy boy will though.

Quite. Im not sure who people think we can attract that is so much better than Jos and is prepared to come and be fourth choice cb at a mid table side.

Quite. Im not sure who people think we can attract that is so much better than Jos and is prepared to come and be fourth choice cb at a mid table side.

We should sign someone who is first choice and everyone moves down a spot (and we get rid of jos.) jos was absolutely terrible last year and cost us points. We should never be in a position to play him.

Edited by hypochondriac

especially when this has been ongoing since may (and before that)

As I posted yesterday I think thats why this forum is a mare at the moment.

Everyone(most anyway) is frustrated with lack of signings -yes we have signed 2 but if we havethe war chest we are supposed to have, the need is obvious where we need to recruit and we have 20 scouts after all why are we struggling to sign players?

I don't buy this players won't come business - nearly all are mercenaries and will go where the money is an improvement, surely we can compete with most outside top 5?

So is this down to our recruitment team, policy, committee? I understand transfers can take a while but Caulker would have been a big improvemnt IMO on Jos/Yoshida.

Edited by Give it to Ron
gibberish as usual

As I said, natural evolution of the squad. Always buy better than what you have.

We should sign someone who is first choice and everyone moves down a spot (and we get rid of jos.) jos I read was absolutely terrible last year and cost us points. We should never be in a position to play him.
Replacing another member of our first X! (Fonte) a real priority? I can't see Yoshida happy being 4th choice CB? You're never going to have someone that good hanging around in such a position. Hope that Stephens steps up is more likely.

Would definitely take Rojo. Looks decent. Need another CB and 2 if/when Lovren leaves. Forster would be a good signing. Still need another AM and ST on top of that I would think. Not keen on going into the new season with Isgrove and Gallagher first choice backups....

Replacing another member of our first X! (Fonte) a real priority? I can't see Yoshida happy being 4th choice CB? You're never going to have someone that good hanging around in such a position. Hope that Stephens steps up is more likely.

Providing proper competition for fonte and giving us three top centre backs is a priority yes.

Why not apply that throughout the squad? In theory every squad member can be improved on, but 4th choice CB isn't really a pressing priority at the moment.

We currently have two good and two poor centre backs. It's not about improving 4th choice, it's about improving the overall quality of the position.

Agree, I'd rather we brought the player in asap rather than stint on the extra 3m or so.

There are of course options to this. Agree some spurious add-ons with his club, or better still tell Liverpool that Lovren's fee has just increased by £1.5m !

For £9m I suspect we'd get Marshall from Cardiff - so it's decision time for the transfer committee.

Whilst not immediately a fan of overspending, I think that potentially it is avoidable in our current predicament, if as speculated we are struggling with incomings due to how our situation is being percieved I think its vital that we arrest this with 1 or 2 higher profile signings if nothing but to try a get a positive feeling back

Forster would be a good start

We currently have two good and two poor centre backs. It's not about improving 4th choice, it's about improving the overall quality of the position.

Who are the 2 good CBs then?! We've good one who wants to leave and the other 3 are average. We need 2 new CBs ASAP.

Who are the 2 good CBs then?! We've good one who wants to leave and the other 3 are average. We need 2 new CBs ASAP.

Rubbish. Fonte is much better than the other two and put in some great performances last year. Is more than good enough to be part of our team next year and make up one of the three.

I would be loathed to see the club overspend on any goalkeeper. £7.5 million max, I'm certain keepers are much of a muchness.

Are they? There is a huge gulf in quality between Boruc and his current replacements Gazzaniga/Davis.

Forster and Boruc fighting it out gives us better squad depth in that position than ever before.

Are they? There is a huge gulf in quality between Boruc and his current replacements Gazzaniga/Davis.

Forster and Boruc fighting it out gives us better squad depth in that position than ever before.

I guess what he means is that of the top level GKs you rarely see any who stand out as being head and shoulders above their peers in the way that Ronaldo, Suarez etc do

Rubbish. Fonte is much better than the other two and put in some great performances last year. Is more than good enough to be part of our team next year and make up one of the three.

Fonte also made quite a few mistakes that costs us, againts City, Arsenal etc. If we want to improve, we also need to replace him as well. A good back up / squad player but should mever be a regular first teamer again.

Ever? Really? Shilton and Flowers 86/7?

Fonte also made quite a few mistakes that costs us, againts City, Arsenal etc. If we want to improve, we also need to replace him as well. A good back up / squad player but should mever be a regular first teamer again.

Nonsense. He might make a few mistakes (what player doesn't?) but his leadership ability within a first XI is worth it's weight in gold.

Forster would probably be a decent signing, however I can't see Boruc willing to warm the bench so he'd probably want to move on leaving us back at square one in the GK department, good first choice keeper but inadequate back up.

Two good CBs, with one "ok" back-up, a poor 4th choice and a couple of up and coming younger players is a pretty reasonable set-up for most clubs.

And one calamitous 4th choice. Don't forget Yoshida was injured for a prolonged spell last season. Our biggest problem was having no strength in depth last season, and in my eyes we have 3 centre backs available with untested youngsters who haven't been near the first team to date as the alternative.

I would be loathed to see the club overspend on any goalkeeper. £7.5 million max, I'm certain keepers are much of a muchness.

As someone that writes a football blog i'd expect you to know abit about football, this comment proves not. You seriously think Gazzaniga and Boruc are much of a muchness?

Disagree with that. Would be quite happy with him as a first teamer and thought he did very well.

As someone that writes a football blog i'd expect you to know abit about football, this comment proves not. You seriously think Gazzaniga and Boruc are much of a muchness?

He clearly means the keepers at the top end that we are in for like Marshall ruddy and forster.

And one calamitous 4th choice. Don't forget Yoshida was injured for a prolonged spell last season. Our biggest problem was having no strength in depth last season, and in my eyes we have 3 centre backs available with untested youngsters who haven't been near the first team to date as the alternative.

Typical that it's fashionable now for Jos to be the forum whipping boy. No he isn't good enough to start and should ideally be used as little as possible but wil we get a better 4th choice? Hoolveld really struggled when we first came up, but so did everyone and he didn't help having Davis behind him and Fox to his left. Lets not forget Hoolveld played in two of our best performances towards the end of the first season when we beat Liverpool and Chelsea.

Typical that it's fashionable now for Jos to be the forum whipping boy. No he isn't good enough to start and should ideally be used as little as possible but wil we get a better 4th choice? Hoolveld really struggled when we first came up, but so did everyone and he didn't help having Davis behind him and Fox to his left. Lets not forget Hoolveld played in two of our best performances towards the end of the first season when we beat Liverpool and Chelsea.

Yes we can get a better 4th choice. We sign a first choice cb and then yoshida becomes 4th choice.

Forster would probably be a decent signing, however I can't see Boruc willing to warm the bench so he'd probably want to move on leaving us back at square one in the GK department, good first choice keeper but inadequate back up.

I'd like to think Forster would be the happier of the two to warm the bench, maybe use him in cup games etc and obviously call upon him if Boruc gets injured or has an awful run of form. Its a fair bit to pay for a keeper but in my opinion worth not having the worry about bringing in Kelv or Gazza as soon as something happens to Boruc, squad depth and all that