Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

English Premier League side Southampton have launched a bid to buy Celtic's Fraser Forster, but their £7.5m valuation of the goalkeeper is not enough for the Scottish champions who value him at £9m.

(Scottish Sun: print edition)

Seems odd to haggle over a million quid or so to me. Although it's not my money so why should I care. Pay the 9mil and let's go.

Agree, I'd rather we brought the player in asap rather than stint on the extra 3m or so.

There are of course options to this. Agree some spurious add-ons with his club, or better still tell Liverpool that Lovren's fee has just increased by £1.5m !

For £9m I suspect we'd get Marshall from Cardiff - so it's decision time for the transfer committee.

Edited by Badger

Agree, I'd rather we brought the player in asap rather than stint on the extra 3m or so.

As we already have Boruc, there is no rush to sign Forster, so it makes complete sense to negotiate the price as low as possible on Saints side rather than just give in and send out a message to other clubs we want to buy players from that we give in easily in transfer talks.

Signing Forster is to put pressure on Boruc that he doesn't get from Davis/Gazzaniga. If he signs Forster would likely be first choice, but Boruc as back-up/cup game keeper is a big improvement in depth for that position and Forster would know any loss of form and Boruc would be in the team. Thats a better situation that last season as it would give the squad more depth in a position.

Edited by Matthew Le God

There are of course options to this. Agree some spurious add-ons with his club, or better still tell Liverpool that Lovren's fee has just increased by £1.2m !

For £9m I suspect we'd get Marshall from Cardiff - so it's decision time for the transfer committee.

We could surely get a bunch of players for that price, and I hope we will land a few. Although clearly we're operating in a tough market competing with clubs who can offer our targets more money etc. Such is life.

We've now been linked with Forster, Marshall, Caulker, Vlaar, de Vrij, Guidetti and a couple others from memory. How many potential incomings might it take for the #noambition brigade to settle down I wonder.

The Timothee Kolodziejczak talk has stopped for a bit after West Ham's deal fell through. Wonder what's going on there.

Seems odd to haggle over a million quid or so to me. Although it's not my money so why should I care. Pay the 9mil and let's go.

This. I'm not one for bowing to the demands of other clubs but the reason's getting closer, we need a keeper, he's England's 2nd choice, it's not much more (in relative context), just give them the extra 1.5 million ffs

DAILY STAR: Southampton will battle Deportivo La Coruna for River Plate’s £7m-rated striker Teofilo Gutierrez.

Really hope not. Really poor goal record.

According to the well trusted source that is Wikipedia, the biggest problem will be his attitude. Left 3 out of his last 4 clubs under a cloud. Not for me.

This. I'm not one for bowing to the demands of other clubs but the reason's getting closer, we need a keeper, he's England's 2nd choice, it's not much more (in relative context), just give them the extra 1.5 million ffs

We do need another keeper, but as we already have one that is more than capable at Premier League level there is no need to rush negotiations and pay more if we don't need to. Sends out a bad message if we overpay to rush deals through.

he's England's 2nd choice

He was 3rd choice at the World Cup.

According to the well trusted source that is Wikipedia, the biggest problem will be his attitude. Left 3 out of his last 4 clubs under a cloud. Not for me.

Had 9 clubs as well. On the face of it it doesn't light the fires of excitement as a potential signing. Does this sound familiar.....

His profile having gained a boost, the player has reportedly told River Plate that he’s not returning, following his extended period of leave, following the World Cup

Manchester Evening News says their Chief Exec is leaving their training base to work on securing de Vrij.

They are only guessing and the article explains how they don't actually know the reason for certain why he has left...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-stefan-de-7472751

Plus it is talking about de Vrij and Hummels. Would they want to buy both? If not, its likely Hummels will be their first choice.

The Timothee Kolodziejczak talk has stopped for a bit after West Ham's deal fell through. Wonder what's going on there.

I read that the reason the West Ham moved did not proceed was that Nice suddenly hiked the asking price to 9m (not sure if £ or euros).

He pulled a gun on a team mate after a disagreement….haven't we learnt anything about nutter South American centre forwards ?

If we keep signing South Americans, eventually one of them is going to come good. Balance of probabilities and all that.

Manchester Evening News says their Chief Exec is leaving their training base to work on securing de Vrij.

They are only guessing and the article explains how they don't actually know the reason for certain why he has left...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-stefan-de-7472751

Plus it is talking about de Vrij and Hummels. Would they want to buy both? If not, its likely Hummels will be their first choice.

An issue for us is timing of getting new CB's in as you'd imagine De Vrij for example will want to know if mancs are a possibility before considering other clubs.

The MEN article states:

At manager Louis van Gaal’s official unveiling last week, the Dutchman said he would give the current Reds squad three to four weeks to prove they could fit into the style he demands before deciding whether to buy again and who to jettison.

I doubt that it'll take him 3/4 weeks before making a bid for De Vrij, if they want him, but if they spend time exhausting the Hummels option first.

I hope we don't wait for all this to unfold, as we might end up missing other options. If come 7th August De vrij signs elswhere, does that leave us scratching around wondering if Caulker is available to find, "oh bugger, he signed for QPR a fortnight ago.."

Surely he'd be better off at a football club rather than working for a local rag? - We can offer him first team football, all they can offer is covering the local school fete

We've all tried to reinvent ourselves as harden, doesn't often work...

I find this quite remarkable from a man thats reinvented himself from annoying keyboard warrior to a more annoying keyboard warrior who when called out claims not to be the same person but there you go

I find this quite remarkable from a man thats reinvented himself from annoying keyboard warrior to a more annoying keyboard warrior who when called out claims not to be the same person but there you go

DPS gets annoyed and impatient when times are good, but is remarkably content when the club is going through a period of serious disruption. He also likes to call out others as 'bed wetting' and 'hysterical', conveniently forgetting his own posting history. I think he just likes to have a 'different' opinion for the sake of it. Will the real DPS please stand up?

As we already have Boruc, there is no rush to sign Forster, so it makes complete sense to negotiate the price as low as possible on Saints side rather than just give in and send out a message to other clubs we want to buy players from that we give in easily in transfer talks.

Signing Forster is to put pressure on Boruc that he doesn't get from Davis/Gazzaniga. If he signs Forster would likely be first choice, but Boruc as back-up/cup game keeper is a big improvement in depth for that position and Forster would know any loss of form and Boruc would be in the team. Thats a better situation that last season as it would give the squad more depth in a position.

Gazza needs to go out on loan so he can make mistakes for another team not ours!

There are of course options to this. Agree some spurious add-ons with his club, or better still tell Liverpool that Lovren's fee has just increased by £1.5m !

Whilst not immediately a fan of overspending, I think that potentially it is avoidable in our current predicament, if as speculated we are struggling with incomings due to how our situation is being percieved I think its vital that we arrest this with 1 or 2 higher profile signings if nothing but to try a get a positive feeling back

Forster would be a good start

Another half a million and we could have Marshall for 8 million, who would be a better prospect than Forster. Signing more England players will only open the door to Hodgeson/Sludgepool to further their pickings for our Academy players.

And why would Forster give up Champion League to join Saints?

Forster or Marshall would be great signings, BUT, only if we keep Boruc.

Forster would come to get PL football and give himself a realistic chance of England game time, knowing if he plays well he could get a move to an English team in the CL within two or three years. Would make sense, and to train with the England GK coach.

Another half a million and we could have Marshall for 8 million, who would be a better prospect than Forster. Signing more England players will only open the door to Hodgeson/Sludgepool to further their pickings for our Academy players.

In fairness Celtic are in the CL to make up numbers,they have no chance of actually doing anything in it

You mean why would he give up the one-team league that is the Scottish Prem plus three games in the group stage of the CL? Probably the same reason Vic did.

Because as soon as they get knocked out he'll realise he has to play Scottish football for the rest of the season.

Marshall is not a 'prospect', he is 3 years old that Forster so the latter would represent better value for money IMO.

Yes those 2 would help things look better. Would still love Van Dijk AND Vlaar. We seem to be linked with a Lovren replacement, yet we needed another CB anyway. Any news on that Guan??

Seems Liverpool's money ends up at Celtic via Saints then.

Why did we need another CB?

My concern is I read somewhere Ronald suggesting we would only need to look to buy a CB if Lovren leaves. Even if he was happy and stayed we would still need another top CB. I do hope this isn't an oversight for the second summer running (we needed another one last summer).

DPS gets annoyed and impatient when times are good, but is remarkably content when the club is going through a period of serious disruption. He also likes to call out others as 'bed wetting' and 'hysterical', conveniently forgetting his own posting history. I think he just likes to have a 'different' opinion for the sake of it. Will the real DPS please stand up?

First of all, why do you keep following me around? This is getting pretty serious.

Secondly, if you read my post above I have actually alluded to the above, acknowledging that I have in the past been hasty. But hey, accuracy has never been your thing, but then who would have the time when you spend your life following me around on this board. The funniest thing is, up until a couple of months ago (when Glasgow got banned coincidentally) no-one actually knew who the **** you were. Since then you've done a 'Goatboy' and shadowed me around this board. What is your obsession? Seriously.

My concern is I read somewhere Ronald suggesting we would only need to look to buy a CB if Lovren leaves. Even if he was happy and stayed we would still need another top CB. I do hope this isn't an oversight for the second summer running (we needed another one last summer).

Exactly, and this summer we can do it without evening spending any budgetted money. Would be crazy if we don't sort the positions we needed from last season.

When Reed talked about all the planning and moving in on targets etc you can only assume it were these problem areas yet nothing has occured yet. Obviously have time to go in the window, but when you see the pre season lineups so far, they don't look like PL sides. Realistically we only have Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Ramirez to add to it, and central midfield already looked like one of the stronger positions anyway.

Left back

Centre Back

Wingers

Strikers

All lacking PL quality and/or numbers.

I doubt this is true. I saw his interview on SSN and either the way the question was asked or just how he answered it sounded like that but I think RK was merely focussing on Lovren. You'd like to think that given his playing position he would realise that Hooiveld is certainly not good enough now and that Fonte and Maya are just good 3rd/4th choices. Mind you, Pochettino played the same position!!! A first choice Dutch CB pairing seems likely. Any two of DeVrij, Vlaar, Van Dirk, Kongolo??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't get irony do you? Thank god Turkish got it, otherwise I'd worry it was my post. Turns out it's Smirking Saint being a little bit thick. Again.

I doubt this is true. I saw his interview on SSN and either the way the question was asked or just how he answered it sounded like that but I think RK was merely focussing on Lovren. You'd like to think that given his playing position he would realise that Hooiveld is certainly not good enough now and that Fonte and Maya are just good 3rd/4th choices. Mind you, Pochettino played the same position!!! A first choice Dutch CB pairing seems likely. Any two of DeVrij, Vlaar, Van Dirk, Kongolo??

My mistake, turns out it was from the Sky interview.

"I know [Vlaar] from when he was playing at Feyenoord. It depends on the [Lovren] situation but we will decide who we bring in. There are a lot of rumours in football and I can do nothing about that."

To me that suggests we will only move to sign a CB if/when Lovren leaves.

Edited by saint_ed

My mistake, turns out it was from the Sky interview.

"I know [Vlaar] from when he was playing at Feyenoord. It depends on the [Lovren] situation but we will decide who we bring in. There are a lot of rumours in football and I can do nothing about that."

To me that suggests we will only move to sign a CB if/when Lovren leaves.

I 'hope' and think that he has a number one CB target. If/when Lovren goes we look at another and Vlaar high in that list. We will see!!