Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

What an arrogant statement to make... you have no idea what went on between Cortese and the owner.. its pure speculation.

What is a FACT is that we have lost our 3 best players which could increase to 5.. unprecedented in the Premier League.

Read this and think before making stupid comments.

If not more, aren't clubs even sniffing around players like Cork now, then there's Gaston and Osvaldo to be considered.

We could even end up with less than half of the senior squad that started last season. As long as we get adequate replacements it will be OK but there is a case to answer by someone somewhere.

What an arrogant statement to make... you have no idea what went on between Cortese and the owner.. its pure speculation.

What is a FACT is that we have lost our 3 best players which could increase to 5.. unprecedented in the Premier League.

Troll_204c19_1264966.jpg

Yes, it is pure speculation. But so is jumping to the conclusion that our board don't know what they are doing. We have sold our players for silly money. It's not like we're giving them away. We don't know where that money is being reinvested, but the signs are there that it will be.

Reconnecting with the fans, developing a £30m training complex, selling players at a ridiculous profit while you can and looking to replace them well, hiring the most decorated manager in the clubs history, expanding your workforce behind the scenes hardly cries out to me that the board don't know what they are doing. Just because people on this board don't know what they are doing, doesn't mean that their work is no good.

Sky Bet have trimmed the odds on Fraser Forster joining Southampton from 4/1 to 5/2, after a fresh bout of betting on the move this morning. Arsenal, who are on the search for goalkeeping reinforcements, are 5/1 second favourites, but John Ruddy is a more likely target for them at 4/1. See all Sky Bet's

Didn't Monk say just after we signed Pellé that we'd put in a bid for Forster?

Sky Bet have trimmed the odds on Fraser Forster joining Southampton from 4/1 to 5/2, after a fresh bout of betting on the move this morning. Arsenal, who are on the search for goalkeeping reinforcements, are 5/1 second favourites, but John Ruddy is a more likely target for them at 4/1. See all Sky Bet's

Forster is the best of all the available UK goalies imo

I still find it hard to believe that so many supposedly grown ups on here are still all too willing to blame the current board for player exodus. Do you honestly believe that the board have suddenly had a change in stance from last season???.....I for one don't. What i believe i clearly evident is that NC sold a vision to MP and all the players and stated as fact what he was going to do to take us to the percieved next level......the bit he failed to tell them was (i'm playing with someone elses money and she hasn't actually agreed to any of the promises i have made) I have no doubt he hoped to charm KL with his vision and get the ok to spend spend spend. As we all know this didnt happen and he jumped making KL look like she was about to cash in on the club. Of course the reaction to MP leaving has been the domino effect as everyone from MP to the players have realised what NC had promised is not about to come true. Could the board have stopped these players from leaving???.....come on this is the real world and of course they could have made them sit in the reserves but its never going to happen if you want your assetts to be worth something. The board are making the best of a bad situation of which the majority is not of their making. Of course it is human nature to have to blame someone, god knows that culture is all around us and the present board and KL are easy targets.

Totally but the bed wetting morons won't understand that.

Boo hoo. Life is so unfair.

Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Schneiderlin can hardly be players that were here because of Cortese's alleged promises. They have all been here since relegation to div 1. It was only last season that we raised our profile, the previous year we were in a relegation dogfight.

What's also unprecedented in the Premier League is a medium sized provincial club having a squad with so many players who the top and richest teams in the country (and maybe beyond) want to buy at the same time.

If anything you need to blame the inequality in the league. Something that began with Sky pouring obscene amounts of money into the game. But yeah, just carry on paying your Sky Sports subscriptions while complaining about it.

What's also unprecedented in the Premier League is a medium sized provincial club having a squad with so many players who the top and richest teams in the country (and maybe beyond) want to buy at the same time.

If anything you need to blame the inequality in the league. Something that began with Sky pouring obscene amounts of money into the game. But yeah, just carry on paying your Sky Sports subscriptions while complaining about it.

what the hell is a provincial club?

I am right behind the new board and believe they and the owner are doing all they can. I also believe in their ambition.

As a football fan though I am a little concerned that the days are creeping by and for a team to gel they need to get to know each other before the football starts in earnest. As things stand we are very short up front, we may well be short of central defender in a few days time and we need a gk. When you factor in the fact our squad was already thin and there still could be more departures it is only natural a few grow fretful. Last year Billy Sharp was nowhere near the first team and yet tonight after Pelle is our only other experienced striker. A couple more quality signings and the nerves will settle.

I still find it hard to believe that so many supposedly grown ups on here are still all too willing to blame the current board for player exodus. Do you honestly believe that the board have suddenly had a change in stance from last season???.....I for one don't. What i believe i clearly evident is that NC sold a vision to MP and all the players and stated as fact what he was going to do to take us to the percieved next level......the bit he failed to tell them was (i'm playing with someone elses money and she hasn't actually agreed to any of the promises i have made) I have no doubt he hoped to charm KL with his vision and get the ok to spend spend spend. As we all know this didnt happen and he jumped making KL look like she was about to cash in on the club. Of course the reaction to MP leaving has been the domino effect as everyone from MP to the players have realised what NC had promised is not about to come true. Could the board have stopped these players from leaving???.....come on this is the real world and of course they could have made them sit in the reserves but its never going to happen if you want your assetts to be worth something. The board are making the best of a bad situation of which the majority is not of their making. Of course it is human nature to have to blame someone, god knows that culture is all around us and the present board and KL are easy targets.

Can't you contemplate, just for one iota, that Cortese,(appointed by Markus to oversee HIS project ) was simply working to Markus's plan ??

What changed that was when, after seeing out her Fathers project, Katharina then implemented her own, resulting in the Deck Of Cards we are now seeing

I think it an insult to Cortese, to think he was doing anything other than Markus's wishes.

Can't you contemplate, just for one iota, that Cortese,(appointed by Markus to oversee HIS project ) was simply working to Markus's plan ?.

But Markus plan was a mid table self sustaining club........ I think we have been here before

Can't you contemplate, just for one iota, that Cortese,(appointed by Markus to oversee HIS project ) was simply working to Markus's plan ??

What changed that was when, after seeing out her Fathers project, Katharina then implemented her own, resulting in the Deck Of Cards we are now seeing

I think it an insult to Cortese, to think he was doing anything other than Markus's wishes.

So if Markus was still alive and Cortese was still at the club, do you honestly think if Man Utd and Liverpool came in for our players with £30m/£25m/£20m offers and offering them £100k p/w wages we'd keep them? Saints can't offer players the wages and level of football they'd get at some of the biggest clubs in world football.

So if Markus was still alive and Cortese was still at the club, do you honestly think if Man Utd and Liverpool came in for our players with £30m/£25m/£20m offers and offering them £100k p/w wages we'd keep them?

2049961.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Troll_204c19_1264966.jpg

Yes, it is pure speculation. But so is jumping to the conclusion that our board don't know what they are doing. We have sold our players for silly money. It's not like we're giving them away. We don't know where that money is being reinvested, but the signs are there that it will be.

Reconnecting with the fans, developing a £30m training complex, selling players at a ridiculous profit while you can and looking to replace them well, hiring the most decorated manager in the clubs history, expanding your workforce behind the scenes hardly cries out to me that the board don't know what they are doing. Just because people on this board don't know what they are doing, doesn't mean that their work is no good.

The natural pessimist in me is definitely rather worried by the current situation. All of the players we've lost as well as most of those rumoured to be off have been very important to us over the last season or so. At the moment we seem to have decent replacements for Lallana and Lambert but we'll need to replace everyone that leaves, as well as get some extras in to improve squad depth. However the level of overreaction on here beggars belief. I'm willing to keep a lid on my worries until the window's over and our squad is finalised. You make a lot of good points that many on here will just ignore.

My main worry for next season is how quickly the new squad/team will gel. Morgan, Lallana and Lambert have been playing together for years and it won't be easy to replace that understanding. Maybe the club see it as a good opportunity for more of the youngsters to step up at the same time to help counteract this. I know it didn't work out last time but I think the club and the academy players are now in a better position to do so this. There's also a part of me that's worried the more signings we make the more it'll hold back our talented youngsters. Trusting in youth is more common in Germany and Holland and it hasn't done much to hurt those two nations.

Edited by mulletsaint

I dont know how anyone else is currently, but I am on a very low ebb at the moment.

The second wave of the exodus is about to start, and I was kind of hoping Koeman might sold a vision that would have headed off any more departures. Would have thought a ex-world class defender could influence a CB and a DM.

Furthermore it is very, very quiet about incomings.....

The fact that yet nother one of our players will be facing us on 17 August just makes matters even worse.

Its painful wathcing our club getting trashed and looted....

I am afraid we are going down. I am being lambasted for saying it, but if the second wave of players leaving happens then we will go down.

A good explanation for why we will be relegated.

I am afraid we are going down. I am being lambasted for saying it, but if the second wave of players leaving happens then we will go down.

A broken clock is right twice a day ... keep predicting a meltdown. Sure you will be smug when it happens ... dullard.

If not more, aren't clubs even sniffing around players like Cork now, then there's Gaston and Osvaldo to be considered.

We could even end up with less than half of the senior squad that started last season. As long as we get adequate replacements it will be OK but there is a case to answer by someone somewhere.

Theres not, its just a natural part of football dont you know. We are just the only team thats ever had 7,8,x players that are too good for us

You are clearly an idiot for thinking otherwise

A broken clock is right twice a day ... keep predicting a meltdown. Sure you will be smug when it happens ... dullard.

I won't be smug at all.

Looking on the bright side, maybe it is best to hold on to our money, take a chance. If we get relegated buy good quality young players in the Championship, possibly League 1 and bring through academy players, and in two or three seasons go up again. Have a couple of good premier years, sell again, take a chance on relegation and if necessary start the process again !

We could find our niche in the football world as well as being wealthy and avoiding debt.

Theres not, its just a natural part of football dont you know. We are just the only team thats ever had 7,8,x players that are too good for us

You are clearly an idiot for thinking otherwise

So in fact with the 3 or 4 players who are too good for us the MP wanted we had an entire team that was too good for us. An unacceptable situation because well you've got to give the Gazas and Joss of this world a game haven't you.

So in fact with the 3 or 4 players who are too good for us the MP wanted we had an entire team that was too good for us. An unacceptable situation because well you've got to give the Gazas and Joss of this world a game haven't you.

We could potentially be ok with some decent replacements, I just find it hard to believe in the history of the prem we are the only club to have so many players able to play at higher levels and unable to do anything about it. Its a shame that but I feel so lucky to have witnessed it.

Makes you wonder what would have happened with 1-3 decent signings

I won't be smug at all.

Looking on the bright side, maybe it is best to hold on to our money, take a chance. If we get relegated buy good quality young players in the Championship, possibly League 1 and bring through academy players, and in two or three seasons go up again. Have a couple of good premier years, sell again, take a chance on relegation and if necessary start the process again !

We could find our niche in the football world as well as being wealthy and avoiding debt.

I see that is what you meant by the yo-yo strategy.. it looks more possible by the day

We'd have been 8th again. Lambert's done as a striker, Rodriguez is out until New Year, we'd have needed to have spent 30mill or so whilst retaining our current squad just to stand still.

Lambert should've been replaced last year, but it was Osvaldo

Rodriguez unfortunate. 35m + the replacement of shaw would have done it. Another striker, CB, GK maybe a winger.

There would have been a couple of losses, but ultimately the side would have been competetive abd finished north of 8th, the expense would have been covered by TV rights and finishing bonuses

I appreciate that breaking that top 6 is v v hard, at some point you have to try and this year should have been that time, modest expense. Spurs and Everton went through similar times

I won't be smug at all.

Now I am worried what happened to 17th place !!

We'd have been 8th again. Lambert's done as a striker, Rodriguez is out until New Year, we'd have needed to have spent 30mill or so whilst retaining our current squad just to stand still.

So ? Didn't someone tell us that the "board" had set aside 35 million £ for transfers over and above player sale revenues.

We needed a keeper a CB and a striker. If the scouting department had been in anyway astute perhaps we could have signed Pelle with any manager, 9.5 million,Keeper say 7

and a CB for the rest. Good team huh.

So ? Didn't someone tell us that the "board" had set aside 35 million £ for transfers over and above player sale revenues.

We needed a keeper a CB and a striker. If the scouting department had been in anyway astute perhaps we could have signed Pelle with any manager, 9.5 million,Keeper say 7

Exactly, instead they dilly dallyed about doing **** nothing between NC leaving and about a month ago. No new contracts signed yet for a y of our players. The catastrophy that was Poch, and 4 of our key players leaving. This was despite the talk from key players a few months ago asking the board to match their ambition and talk of how happy they were.

Look how desperate they were to get out of the club, then there is Lovrens interview. That, to me, isnt just about leaving for money.

I didn't say I think what the board is doing is correct. I think they're f#cking sh#te

I don't think you were supposed to:

a) remember this

b) believe this

I would be shocked if we spent more than 50% of the money earned through sales.

Look how desperate they were to get out of the club, then there is Lovrens interview. That, to me, isnt just about leaving for money.

Its a combination of factors... a big pay rise, playing for one of the biggest clubs in World football and Champions League football. Really not sure why you keep using it time after time as a stick to beat Saints with.