Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

FFP while on the face of it is a good idea is doing nothing but preserving the status quo. Big clubs can just get around it by securing stupid commercial deals (which is now happening) and we can grow our wage bill by a mere 5 million a year + commercial revenue, in context that is about 3 decent players a year we are allowed to add ignoring commercial income (and assuming no departures or increases.) Liverpool have added a stupid number of players on big money and we can never compete with this.

It has been mentioned by both Guan and Koeman himself that we are after 4 or 5 new players. I wonder if it is 4 with Lovren expected to leave, or 4, but 5 if Lovren leaves. Or potentially 4, but 5 if Schneiderlin leaves.

I can't see us signing a central midfielder even if Schneiderlin goes.

So what positions are most important? Lets assume Lovren has gone.

if we sign 4: GK, LB, CB, ST

if we sign 5: GK, LB, CB, ST, WG

I'd want 2 centre backs really, so 6 players... bit of a disaster if we sign just 4.

If we only sign 4 more players its a disaster??!!

I think you are mixing up what you want / fantasy football with what makes a disaster.

We were 8th last season, we could have dropped six more points and still been 8th. We were 11 points clear of 11 t h, 23 points clear of relegation. We can drop quite a few points on last season before we hit disaster levels.

We had some pretty bad injuries last season - Boruc, Lovren, Wanyama, JayRod, Ramirez.

What has changed ? Manager - who knows how a new manager will do but looks good appointment.

Lost Lallana,Shaw,Lambert and Lovren (using your theory). All good players.

We have added two signings, plus young players coming through / improving - Reed, JWP, Targett, Gallagher, Clyne, chambers, McQueen, mayuka etc.

Pelle looks the type of player we needed often when playing it around without scoring.

Our defence was good enough to stay up before Lovren, and with Wanyama infront it should be again. But we will sign more but if only 4, and they are decent, it is far from a disaster!

I like the sound of the two signings from Celtic , we soon won't be too far from last season if Koeman does well.

If you look at the top 5 or 6 there was plenty of variety. Teams from the then 2nd Division won the FA Cup. Teams like Notts Forest were successful in Europe. England Internationals like Mike Channon played in the 2nd Division. Teams like Manchester United and Tottenham were relegated. Pre Premiership was a very different world.

more variety of teams winning nothing. sounds great

fact is, about the same number of different clubs have won the 3 big trophies 20+ years before the prem as have dine since 1992

only 12 months ago, swansea and wigan were the 2 cup holders, 1 of them beating a league 2 side in the final.

as for England internationals in division 2. remind me how we did in 74/78 world cups?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe there was a concensus of opinion that we needed to improve our squad depth after last season's injuries exposed just how threadbare the squad was. Or did I just imagine all those defeats when Artur, Lovren and Vic were injured? I have seen no evidence that we have even begun to attempt to increase our squad depth. Claiming our Acadamy graduates will "step up" and solve our squad depth issue from Day 1 of the new season is naive in my opinion, and I can see us being on the end of some serious spankings if that is the path the club plan to take. And then we have the issue of replacing 1st team members who have been transferred out of the club. In my opinion, talk of a total of 4 new recruits to the squad will NOT improve squad depth sufficiently to improve on last year's performance.

I will be pleased to see our Acadamy graduates being integrated into the squad. However, thinking back to the start of the season 10 years ago and Killer's knee injury just highlights how capricious fate can be, and I do not want us being put into a position where we repeat the debacle of the LAST Dutch experiment.

People commenting that we still have 5 weeks to go until the window closes seem to conveniently forget that it is 10-11 weeks since the season ended. For all the bluster about tracking players through our extensive scouting network and having identifiable targets, we have so far brought in 2 players on the back of our new manager. I am prepared to wait until the 3rd August, as Guan has advised, but the transfer committee at the club are not filling me with confidence on their ability to do the correct business for the club at the moment.

talk of a total of 4 new recruits to the squad will NOT improve squad depth sufficiently to improve on last year's performance.

Sorry, people seem to keep recycling this. Where has there been any mention of us only signing four players? Even the other day Koeman stated we still needed another 4 or 5 new signings, that's on top of Pelle and Tadic.

Edited by saint_ed

Sorry, people seem to keep recycling this. Where has there been any mention of us only signing for players? Even the other day Koeman stated we still needed another 4 or 5 new signings, that's on top of Pelle and Tadic.

Guan's cryptic snippets have been subjected to analysis and the number 4 has been plucked from the magic 8ball.

I dont know how anyone else is currently, but I am on a very low ebb at the moment.

The second wave of the exodus is about to start, and I was kind of hoping Koeman might sold a vision that would have headed off any more departures. Would have thought a ex-world class defender could influence a CB and a DM.

Furthermore it is very, very quiet about incomings.....

The fact that yet nother one of our players will be facing us on 17 August just makes matters even worse.

Its painful wathcing our club getting trashed and looted....

You dont think we have even "begun to attempt". Make up your mind.

Well, it helps if you actually quote what I have written, instead of using words that infer a different meaning than what I wrote. What bit of "improve our squad depth" do you not understand? The word to focus on here is DEPTH. And I want to see players brought in to add DEPTH that are better than what we currently have in the squad, otherwise we are not improving the DEPTH.

I dont know how anyone else is currently, but I am on a very low ebb at the moment.

The second wave of the exodus is about to start, and I was kind of hoping Koeman might sold a vision that would have headed off any more departures. Would have thought a ex-world class defender could influence a CB and a DM.

Furthermore it is very, very quiet about incomings.....

The fact that yet nother one of our players will be facing us on 17 August just makes matters even worse.

Its painful wathcing our club getting trashed and looted....

Not like you to be down in the dumps Alps.

We can accommodate the loss of MS without needing to go to the market, we have a strong midfield. As for our defense, its looking damn scary. If we bring in 3 new defenders, and a Goalkeeper then the season will not have inevitable feeling of a Titanic movie.

We'll struggle to get goals until JRod is back but as long as we can grind out clean sheets during the first half of the season, we have a chance.

Pre season seems to be going full steam ahead without 50% of the first team which is a bit of a worry, but hopefully RK has a plan for that.

fact is, about the same number of different clubs have won the 3 big trophies 20+ years before the prem as have dine since 1992

only 12 months ago, swansea and wigan were the 2 cup holders, 1 of them beating a league 2 side in the final.

as for England internationals in division 2. remind me how we did in 74/78 world cups?

If you watched football in the 70s and 80s you would know that the cartel that currently strangled football didnt exist. Liverpool were dominate and Leeds were a "big" club then but there were more smaller clubs competing than there are now. You conveniently ignore the point about clubs like United and Tottenham getting relegated in those days. Do you think that could happen now? They could spend their way out of trouble if needs be. They werent able to back then. Look at the success that Ipswich had. We actually came 2nd without spending sh*tloads of money on players. What did Keegan cost in the early 80s? £400,000? What would a European Player of the Year cost now? Go back and look at league tables in the 70s and 80s and compere them to the Premiership tables of the last few years.

1970 - 1991 7 title winners, 13 FA cup winners

1992 - 2014 5 title winners 7 Cup winners (+1 team cheated/bought it ;) )

Haven't bothered with league cup.

Look at the title runners up and there's even bigger variation.

We did rubbish in 74/78 world cups. We also were semi finalists in 1990 (still pre premier), our best performance outside of England (and with a Div 2 player in the squad)

If you watched football in the 70s and 80s you would know that the cartel that currently strangled football didnt exist. Liverpool were dominate and Leeds were a "big" club then but there were more smaller clubs competing than there are now. You conveniently ignore the point about clubs like United and Tottenham getting relegated in those days. Do you think that could happen now? They could spend their way out of trouble if needs be. They werent able to back then. Look at the success that Ipswich had. We actually came 2nd without spending sh*tloads of money on players. What did Keegan cost in the early 80s? £400,000? What would a European Player of the Year cost now? Go back and look at league tables in the 70s and 80s and compere them to the Premiership tables of the last few years.

Football was certainly far more competitive and interesting then but the downside was the appalling and lethal stadiums and facilities fans had to endure.

Three key turning points:

1) 1983 - English top flight shifts the sharing of ticket revenue with the away club (so the bigger clubs got a much bigger share - check out the impact on Man U's turnover)

2) 1992 - the PL

3) 1985 - Woodford passes away, Askham gets more power from the until 2009 and tries to squeeze as much £ out of SFC as he can, nearly killing our club in the process.

We did rubbish in 74/78 world cups. We also were semi finalists in 1990 (still pre premier), our best performance outside of England (and with a Div 2 player in the squad)

Thanks for doing the stats Wurzel. Batman, a reply?

It is what it is. I'm not going to have an aneurism over something I can't control. The squad will be ok to start the season with, and worst case scenario we have the January window.

My one gripe, as I said at the start of summer, is we should let those players that want out just go, while trying to get the best money we can for them, so we have plenty of time to settle the squad and sign reinforcements. As it is we still have Lovren, Osvaldo and Morgan here and no one is quite sure what will become of them. Ramirez too, who looked like he was on his way early summer. And the transfer targets of Jay, Chambers and the contract uncertainty of Cork and Fonte.

For now I'm confident we'll do what we need to do, in Koeman I trust, but I have one eye on the calendar. A signing before Wednesday would be nice though...

Well, it helps if you actually quote what I have written, instead of using words that infer a different meaning than what I wrote. What bit of "improve our squad depth" do you not understand? The word to focus on here is DEPTH. And I want to see players brought in to add DEPTH that are better than what we currently have in the squad, otherwise we are not improving the DEPTH.

You said you had not seen any evidence that we have even begun to attempt to increase our squad depth. You then said you were prepared to wait until 3 August. Which is it?

So you expect the club to give you evidence (either by now, or by 3 August, depending on which you mean) that they have begun to attempt to increase squad depth. I am sorry you dont believe we are doing anything at all to increase DEPTH (*your emphasis)

You said you had not seen any evidence that we have even begun to attempt to increase our squad depth. You then said you were prepared to wait until 3 August. Which is it?

So you expect the club to give you evidence (either by now, or by 3 August, depending on which you mean) that they have begun to attempt to increase squad depth. I am sorry you dont believe we are doing anything at all to increase DEPTH (*your emphasis)

He is prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt until 3rd August, at the moment he can't see any evidence of us improving the depth of the squad. It's totally reasonable and not that hard to understand.

I have been guilty of doubting the board, but my faith in them was restored by the brilliant managerial appointment after the treacherous lying Argie left. My faith in them is being stretched again, but similar to others, they deserve my support until the end of the window.

It is what it is. I'm not going to have an aneurism over something I can't control. The squad will be ok to start the season with, and worst case scenario we have the January window.

My one gripe, as I said at the start of summer, is we should let those players that want out just go, while trying to get the best money we can for them, so we have plenty of time to settle the squad and sign reinforcements. As it is we still have Lovren, Osvaldo and Morgan here and no one is quite sure what will become of them. Ramirez too, who looked like he was on his way early summer. And the transfer targets of Jay, Chambers and the contract uncertainty of Cork and Fonte.

For now I'm confident we'll do what we need to do, in Koeman I trust, but I have one eye on the calendar. A signing before Wednesday would be nice though...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tottenham-transfer-target-jay-3885483

Need to add JRod to that list of want aways....

He is prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt until 3rd August, at the moment he can't see any evidence of us improving the depth of the squad. It's totally reasonable and not that hard to understand.

I have been guilty of doubting the board, but my faith in them was restored by the brilliant managerial appointment after the treacherous lying Argie left. My faith in them is being stretched again, but similar to others, they deserve my support until the end of the window.

I feel virtually the same just a bit surprised that after Reeds comments about the scouting there has not been more activity but of course there is time

Yes but thats not what he said (he was upset with me for not quoting his exact words). I have not yet started doubting the board. Very happy with the manager and happy with the signings so far, confident that there are more to come and particularly happy that we are keeping most of the work quiet

I feel virtually the same just a bit surprised that after Reeds comments about the scouting there has not been more activity but of course there is time

Scouting is one thing, players being available, being happy with the deal or waiting to see if a bigger club comes along another. If you were an agent wouldnt you be touting for the best deal for your clients?

Now looking at things slightly differently.....

In the past 10 years (2004/5 > 2013/14) the top 4 finishers have been....

Arsenal x10, Chelsea x9, Man U x9, Liverpool x5, Man City x4, Spurs x2, Everton x1

It is worth adding that at the beginning of that period, Man City hadn't been taken over so didn't feature. Now go back 20 years (1974/5 > 1983/4) and look who finished top 4

Liverpool x9, Man Utd x5, Ipswich x5, Everton x3, Not Forest x3, Man City x2, Arsenal x2, Villa x2, WBA x2, Derby x2, Spurs x2, Saints x1, Watford x1, QPR x1

Variety is the spice of life.

...I have been guilty of doubting the board, but my faith in them was restored by the brilliant managerial appointment after the treacherous lying Argie left. My faith in them is being stretched again, but similar to others, they deserve my support until the end of the window.

This

Dont underestimate the influence Pochettino and Cortese still have at the club in terms of playing staff. I am convinced Poch has upset the apple cart ever since he decided to abandon ship (march). I am of the opinion that the current board are out of their depth but in fairness to them Poch and Cortese have really fooked them over big time. It is unprecedented for a club to sell 3 key players to same club within a matter of weeks of each other.

No doubt club are taking too long in finding new players. At the end of the day the club knew there was strong possibility of losing 4-5 key players therefore they should have had a contingency plan to replace them asap in order to give Koeman best chance of gelling a competitive team together.

Dont underestimate the influence Pochettino and Cortese still have at the club in terms of playing staff. I am convinced Poch has upset the apple cart ever since he decided to abandon ship (march). I am of the opinion that the current board are out of their depth but in fairness to them Poch and Cortese have really fooked them over big time. It is unprecedented for a club to sell 3 key players to same club within a matter of weeks of each other.

No doubt club are taking too long in finding new players. At the end of the day the club knew there was strong possibility of losing 4-5 key players therefore they should have had a contingency plan to replace them asap in order to give Koeman best chance of gelling a competitive team together.

Out of curiousity, what would be Pochettinos motive to having the club selling players to Liverpool......strengthen one of Spurs rivals?

Scouting is one thing, players being available, being happy with the deal or waiting to see if a bigger club comes along another. If you were an agent wouldnt you be touting for the best deal for your clients?

As I am not an agent but a Saints fan I am still surprised that we have not got more players in to make our squad stronger the club suggests that it has targets but as I said there is still time.

Other clubs seem to be recruiting OK but all we seem to have done is replace sold players but no enhanced the squad as yet

I do think the new players are very good signings

Out of curiousity, what would be Pochettinos motive to having the club selling players to Liverpool......strengthen one of Spurs rivals?

Nothing to do with Spurs. For some reason it seems they were intent on **** stirring as some kind of retribution towards KL so in the end Saints had no choice but to sell. Saints would rather sell 3 players to Liverpool then sell any to Spurs. All in my opinion of course.

Unless they start stripping the club down and sell it I think they deserve our support full stop.

'fraid i can never support incompetence....never have, never will.

Ronald Koeman has my support, he's the only soul at the club with an ounce of leadership quality. I just hope he's strong enough to drag it in the right direction, despite the fools who have found themselves at the helm for no other reason than being at the right place at the right time.

Anything concrete developing or is it all just rumours?

No and I think that is the issue with several getting very tetchy on here - most agree we need about 4 to be as strong as last year ignoring the 2 or 3 that will step up.

No sign of anyone decent arriving bar a few whispers that we should be patient - when you buy into this club patience is a virtue and tested to the endth degree.

'fraid i can never support incompetence....never have, never will.

Ronald Koeman has my support, he's the only soul at the club with an ounce of leadership quality. I just hope he's strong enough to drag it in the right direction, despite the fools who have found themselves at the helm for no other reason than being at the right place at the right time.

And the people who appointed Koeman?

No and I think that is the issue with several getting very tetchy on here - most agree we need about 4 to be as strong as last year ignoring the 2 or 3 that will step up.

No sign of anyone decent arriving bar a few whispers that we should be patient - when you buy into this club patience is a virtue and tested to the endth degree.

I think Tadic for Lallana, Pelle for Lambert and Targett for Shaw is absolutely OK at this stage. Yes, we will need more, and I agree people are getting very tetchy regarding this. All I see on here is arguing, and on twitter panicking.

Definitely have to be patient to be a Saints fan.

I think Tadic for Lallana, Pelle for Lambert and Targett for Shaw is absolutely OK at this stage. Yes, we will need more, and I agree people are getting very tetchy regarding this. All I see on here is arguing, and on twitter panicking.

Didn't even Koeman say he needed 4 or 5 more or did I dream that I saw an article quoting him on that yesterday.

Also we need a Guly replacement but wonder if that will be either McQueen, Sharp, Mayuka - would love Ings but think that can be ruled out from reading Burnley. Personally would like Ings, Redmond, Caulker or Varr or both :-). My concern is that I hope Koeman doesnt get too ****ed of with the failure to deliver his targets.

I still find it hard to believe that so many supposedly grown ups on here are still all too willing to blame the current board for player exodus. Do you honestly believe that the board have suddenly had a change in stance from last season???.....I for one don't. What i believe i clearly evident is that NC sold a vision to MP and all the players and stated as fact what he was going to do to take us to the percieved next level......the bit he failed to tell them was (i'm playing with someone elses money and she hasn't actually agreed to any of the promises i have made) I have no doubt he hoped to charm KL with his vision and get the ok to spend spend spend. As we all know this didnt happen and he jumped making KL look like she was about to cash in on the club. Of course the reaction to MP leaving has been the domino effect as everyone from MP to the players have realised what NC had promised is not about to come true. Could the board have stopped these players from leaving???.....come on this is the real world and of course they could have made them sit in the reserves but its never going to happen if you want your assetts to be worth something. The board are making the best of a bad situation of which the majority is not of their making. Of course it is human nature to have to blame someone, god knows that culture is all around us and the present board and KL are easy targets.

I still find it hard to believe that so many supposedly grown ups on here are still all too willing to blame the current board for player exodus. Do you honestly believe that the board have suddenly had a change in stance from last season???.....I for one don't. What i believe i clearly evident is that NC sold a vision to MP and all the players and stated as fact what he was going to do to take us to the percieved next level......the bit he failed to tell them was (i'm playing with someone elses money and she hasn't actually agreed to any of the promises i have made) I have no doubt he hoped to charm KL with his vision and get the ok to spend spend spend. As we all know this didnt happen and he jumped making KL look like she was about to cash in on the club. Of course the reaction to MP leaving has been the domino effect as everyone from MP to the players have realised what NC had promised is not about to come true. Could the board have stopped these players from leaving???.....come on this is the real world and of course they could have made them sit in the reserves but its never going to happen if you want your assetts to be worth something. The board are making the best of a bad situation of which the majority is not of their making. Of course it is human nature to have to blame someone, god knows that culture is all around us and the present board and KL are easy targets.

THIS!

Can all the idiots who are crying that the board don't know what they're doing please read this, stop and have a little think about it, and then read it again? Just to be sure you don't miss any of it.

THIS!

Can all the idiots who are crying that the board don't know what they're doing please read this, stop and have a little think about it, and then read it again? Just to be sure you don't miss any of it.

What an arrogant statement to make... you have no idea what went on between Cortese and the owner.. its pure speculation.

What is a FACT is that we have lost our 3 best players which could increase to 5.. unprecedented in the Premier League.

Read this and think before making stupid comments.

This!

No I think we've just lost him - no-ones sure where he is.

I read somewhere today that he was being fined for being AWOL.

He's a ****, but still, he scored goal of the season in my eyes. I wonder if those who voted for ALs goal only did so because he was still (half) at the club.