Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

an Agent from a UK based, large sports agency. Who represent numerous top flight players (and clubs) has been on the radio talking about transfers.

said the middle 3rd of the summer window is always slow and expects it to remain so until the last 2 weeks in august.

He also said that people would be idiots to sign someone just off the back of form in a world cup IF they have been average at their clubs. Chances are, they will go back to being average

Interestingly, more players than publicised want out of Southampton. He represents one of them (but would not give his name)

Also said that newcastle seem to do well in France and could well have done so again.

West ham have done some good business

Chelsea have come out and said they have finished buying players yet they are still chasing players behind the scenes TO BUY this window

basically, eveything that comes out of clubs this time of year is mostly spin and they position themselves for the best bit of PR for players in/out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2698499/Southampton-target-Serbia-international-Dusko-Tosic-left-spot-Luke-Shaw-joined-Manchester-United.html

Southampton target Serbia international Dusko Tosic to fill left-back spot after Luke Shaw joined Manchester United

Saints boss Ronald Koeman hopes to tie up a deal for Tosic in near future

The left-back, who currently plays for Genclerbirligi, was named in the Turkish League's all-star team last season

Tosic has previously had spells with English sides QPR and Portsmouth

By Joe Bernstein

Published: 18:23 GMT, 19 July 2014 | Updated: 18:23 GMT, 19 July 2014

Southampton are looking at Serbian left-back Dusko Tosic from Turkish club Genclerbirligi as their replacement for Luke Shaw following his move to Manchester United.

Tosic, 29, had brief spells for QPR and Portsmouth and was named in the Turkish League’s all-star team last season.

Southampton are also looking to buy a goalkeeper and striker once their £12million forward Dani Osvaldo’s loan move to Inter Milan is settled.

Strong option: Tosic comfortably holds off Premier League star David Silva while playing for Serbia

+2

Strong option: Tosic comfortably holds off Premier League star David Silva while playing for Serbia

Pedigree: Osvaldo vies for possession with Spain's Jordi Alba during a friendly match earlier this year

+2

Pedigree: Osvaldo vies for possession with Spain's Jordi Alba during a friendly match earlier this year

The Italy international struggled to nail down a first-team spot at St Mary's, and spent the second half of last season on loan at Juventus.

Despite his Premier League struggles, Osvaldo is held in high regard in Serie A, following successful spells at Roma and Fiorentina in the past.

We MUST sign a quality keeper, lb (cant expect targett to walk straight in to prem leagye starting line up), a cb to replace hooiveld, (a 2nd cb if lovren goes) an att wide mid, and a striker.

4 quality players minimum, 5 if lovren goes and 6 if we want competition for tadic and jrod coming in from out wide

agreed but unlikely we will imo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2698499/Southampton-target-Serbia-international-Dusko-Tosic-left-spot-Luke-Shaw-joined-Manchester-United.html

Southampton target Serbia international Dusko Tosic to fill left-back spot after Luke Shaw joined Manchester United

Saints boss Ronald Koeman hopes to tie up a deal for Tosic in near future

The left-back, who currently plays for Genclerbirligi, was named in the Turkish League's all-star team last season

Tosic has previously had spells with English sides QPR and Portsmouth

By Joe Bernstein

Published: 18:23 GMT, 19 July 2014 | Updated: 18:23 GMT, 19 July 2014

Southampton are looking at Serbian left-back Dusko Tosic from Turkish club Genclerbirligi as their replacement for Luke Shaw following his move to Manchester United.

Tosic, 29, had brief spells for QPR and Portsmouth and was named in the Turkish League’s all-star team last season.

Southampton are also looking to buy a goalkeeper and striker once their £12million forward Dani Osvaldo’s loan move to Inter Milan is settled.

+2

+2

The Italy international struggled to nail down a first-team spot at St Mary's, and spent the second half of last season on loan at Juventus.

Despite his Premier League struggles, Osvaldo is held in high regard in Serie A, following successful spells at Roma and Fiorentina in the past.

He played for the Skates ????

He played for the Skates ????

Portsmouth

Tošić signed for Portsmouth on 12 February 2010, but as a result of Portsmouth's financial situation Tošić's registration with the Premier League was withheld and he was forced to leave the club within a month of signing for them.[2] Tošić was an unused substitute in Portsmouth's 4–1 FA Cup fifth-round win at Southampton in February, but failed to get on the pitch this season. He signed a loan deal to play for QPR until the end of the season on 25 March 2010.[3]

Interestingly, more players than publicised want out of Southampton. He represents one of them (but would not give his name)

Would think a few of them who have been here a couple of years might see the club as being slightly different now and wouldnt mind moving on.

Interesting no proper first teamers who have been at Saints prior to the Cortese exit have signed new contracts.

Tosic seems like a journeyman. Not exactly a thrilling prospect.

hes foreign and so must be good.

Disappointing if true. We've raked in how much ? So if true why are we looking at such bargain basement players ?

We've been linked with other LB's so hope we can do better.

Disappointing if true. We've raked in how much ? So if true why are we looking at such bargain basement players ?

We've been linked with other LB's so hope we can do better.

I think the operative word there is definitely "if" - could be agent talk, could be the fact that he's Serbian (like Tadic), could be the fact that people know we're looking for a left-back. The ITKs have said for a while we have enquiries in for players, although everyone is staying tight-lipped on names which naturally leads to speculation like this.

A good LB is very hard to come by these days, which is part of the reason why Shaw cost so much. Still, I can't see us going for him, doesn't really fit our transfer policy (Pelle maybe being the exception to that as he's a goalscorer). Would like to see us go for somebody a bit younger with a better record personally.

an Agent from a UK based, large sports agency. Who represent numerous top flight players (and clubs) has been on the radio talking about transfers.

said the middle 3rd of the summer window is always slow and expects it to remain so until the last 2 weeks in august.

He also said that people would be idiots to sign someone just off the back of form in a world cup IF they have been average at their clubs. Chances are, they will go back to being average

Also said that newcastle seem to do well in France and could well have done so again.

West ham have done some good business

Chelsea have come out and said they have finished buying players yet they are still chasing players behind the scenes TO BUY this window

basically, eveything that comes out of clubs this time of year is mostly spin and they position themselves for the best bit of PR for players in/out

Name of the Agent or the Agency? Were you even aware of the Radio station you were listening too, or was there just a voice coming out of a box?

Would we have to sing the "You dirty skate b@stard, we f*cking hate you!" song to him every time he gets the ball just like we did to every ex-skate that we played against last year?

Or alternatively, oh Tosic Tosic, used to be a Skate but he's alright now..

Last year we brought in Lovren, Wanyama and Osvaldo without losing anyone key the year before that was Clyne Rodriques, Gaston and Mayuka again with no key losses.

So far this year we have brought in Pelle and Tadic and lost three key players with maybe two more going and yet another key one out injured that makes us seven short compared to last season.( four replacements and three new) as well as factoring in the additional risks of failure given the number of proven key players lost we need to replace

Hope there is a lot of activity to come

Yes, he was interviewed for ESPN I believe. Surprised it was so honest.

Cheers. Yep first time I've heard one of our managers discuss the cost of a player for quite a while which is why I questioned its authenticity!

Probably right there, but other priorities ahead I think.

I'd say 2 CB's are pretty high on my list tbh. Vlarr isn't young and has picked up a few injuries in the last few years, don't think he's completed a full season for Villa. We cannot go into another season of PL football with Jos 1 injury away from the squad, nice guy he may be, but he is a joke player at this level.

I'd say 2 CB's are pretty high on my list tbh. Vlarr isn't young and has picked up a few injuries in the last few years, don't think he's completed a full season for Villa. We cannot go into another season of PL football with Jos 1 injury away from the squad, nice guy he may be, but he is a joke player at this level.

Would want a LB and another Striker ahead of another CB personally. Yep Jos is a liability but still think Yoshida can do a job, and if your two main CBs get injured you'd expect that your 4th choice would be suspect. I'm still hoping that Chambers gets coached into the position as I think he has the right attributes.

Why do we need 2 CBs? Hooiveld is good enough as our 4th CB.

Why do we need 2 CBs? Hooiveld is good enough as our 4th CB.

He might not be 4th choice by the time the season starts. If Lovren leaves that pushes him up the pecking order, and too close for comfort.

If Lovren does leave then we could do with 2 CB's coming in.

Also, I'm assuming many see Yoshida as our immediate back up, as 3rd choice CB, and personally I'm not convinced he's up to it either.

Fonte is clearly good enough to start.

On last season's form, I'd agree, subject to the proviso he has a steady CB partner with him. Which rules out Jos or Yoshida unless we want the back four and GK in a 90 minute state of nerves and jitters.

If we have this large war chest of £60+ million to spend why is Koeman saying Vlaar will be expensive at £6 million and us being now linked with mediocre targets like Tosic. Hope next week is 100% better for Saints than this one which has been shi*e what with Morgan,J Rod and Chambers all linked away, very little positive news on potential new signings with the boards going very quiet.

Guan hinted a week ago that things will look so much better by last Sunday. A week on and they are certainly not looking so much better to me. I am an inpatient person so i hope a week from now things will look better but I am very suspicious about our board lying as so far this summer they have not covered themselves in glory to potentially lose 5 or 6 1st team players.

I hope I look really stupid by the first game of the season with 4 or 5 quality additions but i have a nasty feeling that we are going to end up too reliant on kids which is very dangerous

If we have this large war chest of £60+ million to spend why is Koeman saying Vlaar will be expensive at £6 million and us being now linked with mediocre targets like Tosic....

I hope I look really stupid by the first game of the season with 4 or 5 quality additions but i have a nasty feeling that we are going to end up too reliant on kids which is very dangerous

There certainly appears a bit of an imbalance between some of the departures and names recently linked, although I'm reasonably optimistic re Tadic and Pelle. THe recent suggestion of Tosic is disappointing after previous links with Kolowhatever, or Robertson.

Perhaps we are discovering that despite having the £m's to spend, the calibre of player we really want and can afford, is simply aiming higher than Saints and does not want to join.

Like you, am hoping for better things to emerge over the next seven days or so.

Why are people so desperate to know the name of an agent interviewed on the radio?

Pointless forum gold.

Because, if I didn't catch that part of it. The whole post and the whole points made by the journo would be deemed as "completely made up"

Why are people so desperate to know the name of an agent interviewed on the radio?

Do you think Batman made it all up?

Pointless forum gold.

Because, and I'm going out on a limb here, if they know the name of the agent then they know the name of the player he represents.

Then they can throw a torrent of abuse that player's way :-)

Because, if I didn't catch that part of it. The whole post and the whole points made by the journo would be deemed as "completely made up"

You need to work on your photographic memory because THIS FORUM NEEDS PROOF FFS

I'm a loyalist ( whatever i will always support saints) but also a curious natured realist so I cannot help but business analyse the club at times. The evidence of my eyes says there's plenty of clues out there about transfer spending policy and targets policy.

Ive read pretty much all there is out there post Mopo and NC to get a feel for what we are going to be all about with the new boss on transfers and how much will he really get to spend. And whats the real story & basis for KL's ownership.

Here's my current view.

We are not splashing the cash we are (eventually, supposedly) getting but that might be a timing issue, or might be that we are not going to spend all that money after all ( take your pick according towards your cynic/ non cynic disposition) And having good young players is the alibi but also great news as we continue the home grown conveyor belt/valid business model ( take your pick cynics and grow your own youth supporters).

Either way we will only have a fraction of the total values being quoted up front for starters. In easy words to understand : If we sell players for £50million it usually does not mean its there in readies at the bank to spend the next day.

The cash over and above player sales line we hear repeatedly is an interesting one. My view is to forget it. I'm sure they regret saying it. It will hang over their heads forever now because, frankly, everything points to thats not going to happen. In rough terms from all the interpretations of that comment and what we supposedly already got in ££ it would mean up to a further £40-£50m to be spent. If we are currently looking at £4m and £6m players as rumoured then something's not right.

I think our default operating model is to buy c£5-£10m players - already good, talented and who have all the attributes, and turn them into £20m+ players via the SFC finishing school/ process.

Saints bosses are certainly not giving the impression that losing SRL,LS and AL is relegation worrying. The two incomings seem good though ( they fit the price/quality model) and we are giving the impression that we will more than cope. Whether thats fact or trying to make the best of a bad situation, or directorial incompetence, or all of them, again, take your pick.

Now the matter of the non returning Osvaldo and long term injury for Jrod. I think Koeman is going to be fair to Billy Sharp and Mayuka by assessing them in pre season. Totally obvious. Many on this list have "retired" BS and forgotten about Mayuka but both need be viewed in the flesh by Koeman. He can then decide to use or to release. That's his decision partially based on whats out there thats better as alternatives as much as there own qualities.

We have a ready made raw youth replacement product for Pelle in Sam Gallagher who debuted last season but otherwise the striker cupboard or starting the season, for me- does look short of goal scoring firepower When Jrod gets back he will be an immediate starter in this squad when what should happen is that he needs to displace a top performing other striker - not someone doing a job for us until he gets back which is what i fear would be the card otherwise. So that is a problem for me. It will not be good for his motivation either. He needs to know he must fight to get back i to the first team, not just get fit again.

Indeed the absence of other strikers then lends itself to playing formations using just Pelle up front alone using our strengths - MF- in more numbers. So our current most likely formations include not three strikers but one no matter what Koeman played before or says he likes. Away to Liverpool it will be him plus five mf's, a back four and a gk is a simple to make prediction.

Lastly : the Lovren, Morgan, maybe Calum and others and the cork, jose and Jrod contract talks. So, why are those players contracts not being renewed more promptly given the recent team disruption? Is it All the more reason to hold into seasoned players - or the best chance to completely change the team? Take your pick again.

My own view is this is a very serious mistake by the board. Koeman needs to see them play its true but these have got many EPL games experience already - they are not Mayuka or billy sharps or potential good players- they ARE good players. Too much change all at once is too high a risk.

As for the possible leavers, there's always possible leavers in every squad, but given we lost three already and Koeman must know these two are top top players he will surely fight very hard to keep them in his team. They represent the spine of the team and without them, no matter who comes in, it makes his job a lot harder.

I see a new striker coming in plus a CB if we lose DL and a left sided defender to replace Luke. Morgan IS our best player imo - but thankfully he is internally replaceable because we have a glut of top DM players especially in JWP who plays Morgans position for England under 21's plus Cork and big vic so we got three who can do it. Not as good as Morgan but who can do it.

A Left back, a striker and maybe a CB is what we will get by Liverpool game is my best guess.