Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

A Left back, a striker and maybe a CB is what we will get by Liverpool game is my best guess.

That is the bare minimum to retain even a threadbare squad though. I'd be surprised if a GK isn't also signed by then.

Given that we don't actually know what any of our players are earning per week, or what we have offered any prospective new signing, how have you come to that conclusion?

Sorry for the delay, but I thought it was well known that our highest earner was Osvaldo on around 38k pw net iirc.

If players are considering QPR, or West Ham over us, then we aint paying enough.

Why are people so desperate to know the name of an agent interviewed on the radio?

Do you think Batman made it all up?

Pointless forum gold.

Not at all, I know a lot of agents so was curious who it might have been. Sounds like SEM so probably someone like Jerome Anderson. They have just parted ways on a JV with a company who represent Callum Chambers and Sam McQueen so hoping he wasn't referring to the former.

An excellent post Giordano

I thought we might have Had a couple more players signed by now but it is still relatively early days .

Maybe the transfer targets guan and co have stalled fallen apart or still being negotiated .

But after 2 weeks I'm not smiling

I wish the club would sort out the contracts for fonte and cork as a priority

I'm slightly curious as to what Sky's motive was re the JRod contract extension article

I am sure the club would not have made that publicly known at the time maybe they did

I suspect that sky motive was deliberate and to alert all the other clubs about the extension to his contract. And true to form the papers are full of JRod looking to move to x club or x club about to bid for JRod

Don't you just love football

I hope some of the big boys get shafted this year particularly the scouse gits and spuds

Not at all, I know a lot of agents so was curious who it might have been. Sounds like SEM so probably someone like Jerome Anderson. They have just parted ways on a JV with a company who represent Callum Chambers and Sam McQueen so hoping he wasn't referring to the former.

Small Fry playing another blinder I see.

In easy words to understand : If we sell players for £50million it usually does not mean its there in readies at the bank to spend the next day.

Well put.

People also seem to be acutely aware of football 'agents' but forget how they, ahem, earn their money.

A quick and imperfect analogy; if I sell my house for £300,000 I will only have (tops) £291,750 left to buy another house. The tax (read; agent fees) mean I cannot replace like for like purely with the money from the sale.

Edited for accuracy!

Edited by Polaroid Saint

Can we expect an update from guan today ?

He's not posted for a few days now . Has our panda target now been transferred to Edinburg zoo to eat bamboo and mate with tian tian as Yang Guang is firing blanks

Think all the red pandas got sent to Gallipoli to play dominoes with the Turkish. Or something like that?

I'm a loyalist ( whatever i will always support saints) but also a curious natured realist so I cannot help but business analyse the club at times. The evidence of my eyes says there's plenty of clues out there about transfer spending policy and targets policy.

Ive read pretty much all there is out there post Mopo and NC to get a feel for what we are going to be all about with the new boss on transfers and how much will he really get to spend. And whats the real story & basis for KL's ownership.

Here's my current view.

We are not splashing the cash we are (eventually, supposedly) getting but that might be a timing issue, or might be that we are not going to spend all that money after all ( take your pick according towards your cynic/ non cynic disposition) And having good young players is the alibi but also great news as we continue the home grown conveyor belt/valid business model ( take your pick cynics and grow your own youth supporters).

Either way we will only have a fraction of the total values being quoted up front for starters. In easy words to understand : If we sell players for £50million it usually does not mean its there in readies at the bank to spend the next day.

The cash over and above player sales line we hear repeatedly is an interesting one. My view is to forget it. I'm sure they regret saying it. It will hang over their heads forever now because, frankly, everything points to thats not going to happen. In rough terms from all the interpretations of that comment and what we supposedly already got in ££ it would mean up to a further £40-£50m to be spent. If we are currently looking at £4m and £6m players as rumoured then something's not right.

I think our default operating model is to buy c£5-£10m players - already good, talented and who have all the attributes, and turn them into £20m+ players via the SFC finishing school/ process.

Saints bosses are certainly not giving the impression that losing SRL,LS and AL is relegation worrying. The two incomings seem good though ( they fit the price/quality model) and we are giving the impression that we will more than cope. Whether thats fact or trying to make the best of a bad situation, or directorial incompetence, or all of them, again, take your pick.

Now the matter of the non returning Osvaldo and long term injury for Jrod. I think Koeman is going to be fair to Billy Sharp and Mayuka by assessing them in pre season. Totally obvious. Many on this list have "retired" BS and forgotten about Mayuka but both need be viewed in the flesh by Koeman. He can then decide to use or to release. That's his decision partially based on whats out there thats better as alternatives as much as there own qualities.

We have a ready made raw youth replacement product for Pelle in Sam Gallagher who debuted last season but otherwise the striker cupboard or starting the season, for me- does look short of goal scoring firepower When Jrod gets back he will be an immediate starter in this squad when what should happen is that he needs to displace a top performing other striker - not someone doing a job for us until he gets back which is what i fear would be the card otherwise. So that is a problem for me. It will not be good for his motivation either. He needs to know he must fight to get back i to the first team, not just get fit again.

Indeed the absence of other strikers then lends itself to playing formations using just Pelle up front alone using our strengths - MF- in more numbers. So our current most likely formations include not three strikers but one no matter what Koeman played before or says he likes. Away to Liverpool it will be him plus five mf's, a back four and a gk is a simple to make prediction.

Lastly : the Lovren, Morgan, maybe Calum and others and the cork, jose and Jrod contract talks. So, why are those players contracts not being renewed more promptly given the recent team disruption? Is it All the more reason to hold into seasoned players - or the best chance to completely change the team? Take your pick again.

My own view is this is a very serious mistake by the board. Koeman needs to see them play its true but these have got many EPL games experience already - they are not Mayuka or billy sharps or potential good players- they ARE good players. Too much change all at once is too high a risk.

As for the possible leavers, there's always possible leavers in every squad, but given we lost three already and Koeman must know these two are top top players he will surely fight very hard to keep them in his team. They represent the spine of the team and without them, no matter who comes in, it makes his job a lot harder.

I see a new striker coming in plus a CB if we lose DL and a left sided defender to replace Luke. Morgan IS our best player imo - but thankfully he is internally replaceable because we have a glut of top DM players especially in JWP who plays Morgans position for England under 21's plus Cork and big vic so we got three who can do it. Not as good as Morgan but who can do it.

A Left back, a striker and maybe a CB is what we will get by Liverpool game is my best guess.

Good post and similar to my thoughts, except how do you know we are just targetting 4-6m players? The 2 that have come in cost more than that. We keep all our transfers :suspicious:. Every story in the Mirror or Mail on our incomings have a 99% chance of being fabricated.

Good post and similar to my thoughts, except how do you know we are just targetting 4-6m players? The 2 that have come in cost more than that. We keep all our transfers :suspicious:. Every story in the Mirror or Mail on our incomings have a 99% chance of being fabricated.

Both the Serbian ex Pompey left back and the Aston villa Dutch centre back are rumoured to be in that price band. Both are also relatively old. I can get buying a 29 year old " guaranteed goals" striker in Pelle to replace Rickie and I think EPL CB experience plus of course a great World Cup makes up for being a bit old too for Vlaar - but the lb story seems like an odd one. I would be surprised if we did not get a better player at LB than what's touted around ATM. If we get to the Liverpool game With just Targett or more likely Clyne that , IMO, would be inadequate team management. Unless we start playing a back three -but seriously -not away to Liverpool?

The Telegraph reckons we're interested in Jamie Vardy from Leicester

...and 'The Star' claims we are interested in Leonel Vangioni, current playing as a left-sided midfielder for River Plate,(Argentina). His on-line profile claims his preferred position is left-back. Valued at £1.32 million one draw-back is probably his age, (27) though Pelle is now 29 so does age matter if he can do the job. (see On-line Sky Sports News, Paper Talk).

We have been linked with lesser players this week. I wonder if we have had to move to our second choices?

Or maybe we're leaking that we're after "lesser" players whilst we do the real deals for the "star" players in the background, thereby keeping the "lesser" players interested just in case the chase for the "star" players fall through,

Both the Serbian ex Pompey left back and the Aston villa Dutch centre back are rumoured to be in that price band. Both are also relatively old. I can get buying a 29 year old " guaranteed goals" striker in Pelle to replace Rickie and I think EPL CB experience plus of course a great World Cup makes up for being a bit old too for Vlaar - but the lb story seems like an odd one. I would be surprised if we did not get a better player at LB than what's touted around ATM. If we get to the Liverpool game With just Targett or more likely Clyne that , IMO, would be inadequate team management. Unless we start playing a back three -but seriously -not away to Liverpool?

Key word there is rumoured, how would they know for sure who we're in for? they are just filling collom inches. PS Vlaar will cost far more than 4-6m :mcinnes:

Or maybe we're leaking that we're after "lesser" players whilst we do the real deals for the "star" players in the background, thereby keeping the "lesser" players interested just in case the chase for the "star" players fall through,

Now thats a theory I like, can you post more often please ?

Assuming we have to pay £5-10m for these players -your 'default operating model'- how are we miraculously going to turn them into £20m players?

The only way we can add value of this magnitude is by spending big on younger players - our signings to date don't suggest that.

We have been linked with lesser players this week. I wonder if we have had to move to our second choices?

With the suggestions of the Leonel Vagioni and Tosic though it appears we have slipped beyond even our second options for LB.

Why are people so desperate to know the name of an agent interviewed on the radio?

Do you think Batman made it all up?

Pointless forum gold.

why on earth Write "i heard it on the radio" or "I saw it on the Internet" or "I read it in a paper" without a slight bit of further elaboration.

And knowing the station its on, or the paper its, in let people be able to work out for themselves if they think it is a sensationalised bit of media reporting or not.

Callum Slattery (one of the next 'big things' from the academy) has agreed a move to Arsenal, according to The People. I know he's been linked there before, but this appears to be a bit more definite.

They don't even get to play for us anymore.

Callum Slattery (one of the next 'big things' from the academy) has agreed a move to Arsenal, according to The People. I know he's been linked there before, but this appears to be a bit more definite.

Look forward to seeing his inevitable loan spell at Barnet followed by his release.

Out of interest I asked him on Twitter if he was still with us and he replied "Yes, why?"...by the time I had replied he had deleted the message.

Assuming we have to pay £5-10m for these players -your 'default operating model'- how are we miraculously going to turn them into £20m players?

The only way we can add value of this magnitude is by spending big on younger players - our signings to date don't suggest that.

Well Dejan is the example i had in mind, Jrod another. DL Neither was home grown but both improved at Saints, I think the £5-£10nm price band is entry level for EPL myself unless they are truly homegrown, or a freebie or really old.

Quite frankly saints can only blood a certain number at a time of our youngsters otherwise its a case of the blind leading the blind. Thats why we will probably see the need to get in some of these £5-£10m players in who (hopefully) already have got some experience - and who by virtue of the SFC factor might then increase in value.

I think most saints fans would prefer a couple of £15-£20m superstars to add glamour and top quality a la Kevin Keegan but i don't think this board will go that line. Nicola might have done with Markus' backing but not KL.

So has he left? I can understand first teamers leaving for big money but what possible excuse could there be for losing academy players? We are infinitely more likely to give them first team football and have a brilliant track record.

So I'm assuming it's not true or they just don't rate him or have released him? Any academy experts out there?

Callumslattery favorited your Tweet

5m: @Callumslattery8 Some1 on SaintsWeb said theres an article that said you had signed for Arsenal. Was thinking god not another one! lol

He favorited my reply to his deleted message. Im guessing its bull and hes staying.

So has he left? I can understand first teamers leaving for big money but what possible excuse could there be for losing academy players? We are infinitely more likely to give them first team football and have a brilliant track record.

So I'm assuming it's not true or they just don't rate him or have released him? Any academy experts out there?

I haven't seen him but have heard he's something special. Also was it on here where someone said his parents were pushing for him to go to a bigger club?

Well put.

People also seem to be acutely aware of football 'agents' but forget how they, ahem, earn their money.

A quick and imperfect analogy; if I sell my house for £300,000 I will only have (tops) £291,750 left to buy another house. The tax (read; agent fees) mean I cannot replace like for like purely with the money from the sale.

Edited for accuracy!

Understand your example but in football it´s the buying club that pays the agent fees. That was why the Wanyama deal dragged on because we wouldn´t pay as high fee as his agent wanted from the beginning.

Understand your example but in football it´s the buying club that pays the agent fees. That was why the Wanyama deal dragged on because we wouldn´t pay as high fee as his agent wanted from the beginning.

Very good point; I think I sort of knew that somewhere in the back of my mind!

I guess I am trying to say that when figures for transfers are bandied about in the media they often vary, and when an amount is quoted we (the public/fans) can never be 100% certain how that is made up (fees, add-ons, part-payments, sell-ons etc).

£20m (for example) could be the total value of the transfer incl all the above, or the net figure the club receive. Despite it being pored over on here; I still can't work out exactly how much was paid/we received for either Lallana or Shaw!

Wouldn't that be something?

6 Shakhtar players have gone AWOL in France after a pre season game as they don't want to return to Ukraine apparently down to the political unrest there. Dentinho, Alex Teixera, Douglas Costa, Fred, Facundo Ferreyra and one unidentified player are supposedly the players.

I would have thought there would be a few bargains to be had in Ukraine. I dont know to what extent they will be able to run the League this season. Certainly they won't be able to play fixtures involving Zorya Luhansk or the the two Donnetsk clubs, Shakhtar and Metalurg. The two Crimean clubs, Tavria and Sevastopol have been expelled, together with Arsenal Kyiv who I think went bust.

Never in a million years will Shakhtar be allowed to take part in the Champs League even if they do have a squad left. At a guess Dnipro will take their place. I can't see the decent players staying there. The league has been ripped apart.

I would have thought there would be a few bargains to be had in Ukraine. I dont know to what extent they will be able to run the League this season. Certainly they won't be able to play fixtures involving Zorya Luhansk or the the two Donnetsk clubs, Shakhtar and Metalurg. The two Crimean clubs, Tavria and Sevastopol have been expelled, together with Arsenal Kyiv who I think went bust.

Never in a million years will Shakhtar be allowed to take part in the Champs League even if they do have a squad left. At a guess Dnipro will take their place. I can't see the decent players staying there. The league has been ripped apart.

Aparently 6 Shaktar players absconded in Evian yesterday evening, plane back to the Ukraine left without them this morning, all South Americans.

Aparently 6 Shaktar players absconded in Evian yesterday evening, plane back to the Ukraine left without them this morning, all South Americans.

Yes, my post was in response to Clarke's post above.

Just had a flick through a Ukrainian football forum. A couple of them reckon its going to be a 14 team League and Shakhtar are going to play their home games in Kharkhiv.

feck me. they are going to have a very good squad at this rate

Top heavy though, and without their main man. I still think they're shopping for sloppy seconds, when you look at who Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd have got this year. They've signed lots of players which won't really make much difference, and sold their leading world class player.

Top heavy though, and without their main man. I still think they're shopping for sloppy seconds, when you look at who Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd have got this year. They've signed lots of players which won't really make much difference, and sold their leading world class player.

All a bit Tottenham 2013, really.

It's easy to "win" a transfer window. Let's see if they are actually any good come November.